Move To Samui?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mate, only you can decide. However, i have been coming to Samui for 7 years now and lived here for last 3 years. I have been to other parts of Los, but this is where i am the happiest. I have a nice little bungalow at Maenam Bht5000 per month, electricity extra usually between 450 & 500 Bht mth. One of the things i like here is that you can choose to live in a busy area eg Chaweng or Lamai , a quiet area, or some where in between like Maenam. the beaches are very good and water clean unlike like some places such as Pattaya where there is'nt really much choice other than a busy city. We do have an airport albeit a Bangkok Air monolopy so therefore more expensive than normal, however i always drive over to Suratthani to fly at probably half the price.

Some think that its expensive living here, but i do not really agree and am of the impression, that if you cannot afford to live on Samui, then you really cannot afford to live in Thailand. I guess we all prefer different life styles, but i would reccommend you have a look, its only a short flight from Phuket. I just love it here and always, cannot wait to get back.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Perhaps you should tell us your reasons for wanting to move to Samui...then we can give you some decent advice.

Also this thread should be in the Samui Forum.

I dont think so, there are many members who would never look at the Samui forum, but just might be interested in the results of this question.

Married, kids? Bit more info and I'll give my tuppence worth. I would like to live in north east thailand, but that is because of proximity to wife's family ( babysitters! ) and that would enable myself to enjoy the country more, two kids and seven dogs need looking after sometimes!

Just have a read of some of the recent topics here in Samui:

- A missing dog

- Wanted, a carpet beater

- Diving on Tao

- Samui, tsunami free

- Surat to Samui on the cheap

- Kids entertainers.

And compare this to the topics ongoing on the Pattaya forum:

- Beer Laos run

- Botox for men

- Is Songkran too long?

- Relationships gone sour

- No pepsi max

- And their very own section of news clippings full of topics like stabbings, killing, drugs, lewd acts etc.

No tell me, where do you think is the simpler, more relaxed place to live?biggrin.png

Great post. Latest from the Samui Breaking News Network (SBNN).... Something happened at some stage.

• Like 1

I lived there many years ago in Lamai,what I found was I was living a life like a holiday even though I was an expat living there so the comments about being expensive depends how you live your life there,things are a little higher than the mainland but this is always the case when island living,I live in the sticks of Korat and compared to Samui it's a fraction of the price but the entertainment non existent!Lol

fyi, just because Samui doesn't have a decent newspaper to report murders and incidents and whatnot, doesn't mean they didn't happen. E.G. 2 people were murdered on Songkran Friday last week just in Lamai. You won't see it on the news though.

fyi, just because Samui doesn't have a decent newspaper to report murders and incidents and whatnot, doesn't mean they didn't happen. E.G. 2 people were murdered on Songkran Friday last week just in Lamai. You won't see it on the news though.

There was apiece in the local rag just a while back about a farang being questioned for suspicious behaviour after being found riding a motorbike while not being smashed.

• Like 1

fyi, everywhere people get murdered. That's tragic, but it could happen to anyone everywhere up to circumstances or simple bad luck.

So what? I live on Samui under palm tress in front of the sea longer than everywhere else in my life. I go swimming almost daily for 1 hour if conditions are fine > no attack of anything nasty at all, have been in the lush interior of the island countless times > no cobra bites, no coconuts on my head, kidnapping gangs....had no food poison, Sars, Tsunami, Bird Flue, Malaria....attacks of unknown kind....I really like that place

clap2.gif Well said Birdman. Ditto - I still prefer to live in Samui than anywhere else.

Just to consider. According to a Sydney newspaper on 16th April this year, there have been more than 40 shooting incidents in Sydney this year to date - 13 of them in April.

Just to consider. According to a Sydney newspaper on 16th April this year, there have been more than 40 shooting incidents in Sydney this year to date - 13 of them in April.

There are 5 million people in Sydney, and less than 50000 in Samui. Just to consider.

Yes, of course, we get hot and bothered about Bangkok Airways, taxis, rip-off prices, blah blah blah. But you can live and enjoy life away from all of that if you choose to. I suspect in a bigger, livelier, more developed, more obvious place like Pattaya, it is harder to find those quieter spots just 10 minutes drive away. Or that genuine Mom and Pop store happy to help you out. Or a local eaterie with good honest food. We all know the tourist areas, and are grateful that they exist for the economy of the island. But, for me, Samui still has a huge amount more to offer than what the tourists want, and all of it is in easy reach.

I agree 100%. Out of all the places in the world, Samui is where I choose to live. But it's ridiculous to ignore the fact that it has a dark side, and (like most places in Thailand) it is a very dangerous place to live in comparison to most anywhere else in the world. Just because there's no newspaper is no reason to stick your head in the sand.

2 unrelated murders on the same day in a town of less than 5000 people is not normal. And it's not like they are the only ones that have ever happened here either.

Edited by ydraw

But you can live and enjoy life away from all of that if you choose to. I suspect in a bigger, livelier, more developed, more obvious place like Pattaya, it is harder to find those quieter spots just 10 minutes drive away. Or that genuine Mom and Pop store happy to help you out. Or a local eaterie with good honest food. We all know the tourist areas, and are grateful that they exist for the economy of the island. But, for me, Samui still has a huge amount more to offer than what the tourists want, and all of it is in easy reach.

Good points - most of the places round where i live rely on expats and locals. Locals get to know you, and I find we are treated with the same gratefulness and respect when we come to eat and buy food from the markets. I don't get ripped off, on the odd occasion i have but it's been minimal and i haven't returned. Everyones pretty laid back round here, it's a nice place to live, jungle, beautiful sea and awesome food at great prices, cheap drinks on the beach.....it's not Bangrak by the way :)

• Like 1

Sorry, samui is not in the same league as Pattaya - for lots of reasons.

OK so on one on-line paper in Pattaya on the 21/4 we have

1. Husband accused of murdering his wife
  2. Man killed in fight outside beer bar
  3. Gunfire on Pattaya Beach
  4. Drug dealing suspect caught by police
  5. 19 year old stabbed in the neck
  6. 2 hurt following jet ski scam
  7. Body of newborn baby found in garbage truck
  8. Under-age drunk driving dominates Songkhran
  9. 3 injured in shooting outside of north Pattaya restaurant
  10. Man involved in shooting at north Pattaya hospital
  11. traffic police volunteer injured during chase
  12. 19 year old man shot in random shooting
  13. Songkhran begins early in Pattaya
  14. Belarus woman drowns in condo pool
  15. Suspected drug courier arrested in south Pattaya

On the other on-line paper (popular news section) we have

1. Foreigner and 2 Thais randomly shot
  2. Thai man arrested for being a paedophile
  3. Jealous Thai female threw acid on her boyfriend's face
  4. 7 dangerous days of Pattaya's Songkhran
  5. Police legally shoot and kill 'Ball Tonsai' (suspected drug dealer)
  6. Transvestites or real women, sexy dancing in Sattihip
  7. Angry kiwi beefcake stabs Canadian English Teacher in Pattaya

(I omitted 2 news items that were about other countries.) These headlines are only from the front pages of these publications

It would take quite a few months to reach these sort of numbers on Samui.

Fascinating.

Not only thinking behind the OP's initial inquiry, but the smattering of fragments that have been thrown back. Mostly (IMHO) they are fair enough but the responses also seem to have been side-tracked by newspaper headlines, which I feel is unfortunate and a bit like giving someone your latest medical reports when they ask - hiya-you OK?

Seems like you're used to Pattaya.

Once you get away from the fact it's the biggest brothel in the known universe, that there is always a series of twofers on a happy hour from 4:00 pm to midnight somewhere if you plan your schedule, that you can work your way from Soi 7 to BoyzTown on free BBQs and parties, (schedule again), that there are chip shops doing rare grub for 120 baht a plate (if you can stomach the endless re-runs of Fools and Horses), that there are street markets where you can get almost everything for no money, where there are baht buses that go all over for only 10 baht, the fact that it's a proper city with intersections and traffic lights and hi-rise buildings . . . then there's the other things.

As in, Pattaya is a lot more than just the Marine Disco to Soi 8. There's Jontiem and Naklua, too - and all the bits between, right up to Sukhumvit. There is actually a huge area and maybe 70% of it is cheap - housing/rents/food/pub grub/alcohol/girlies/ plus there's 3G for your phone/tablet/ etc. It's a proper city.

To compare a proper city to Samui is a bit like thinking that the clockwork swimming toys that your kid has in the bath are almost like real, somehow. Or that the first Apollo shot actually got to the moon.

Samui is a coconut island that only 2 generations ago didn't have a complete ring-road, a regular ferry service or an airport. Everything here has been patched together and cobbled up bit by bit, mostly over the last decade. Most of the things here don't work so good. Transport (there is no public transport - even the 'baht buses' are comparatively expensive) is hit and miss - and the "meter taxis" here are a national embarrassment.

When it rains the lights go out and your broadband connections cuts. Sometimes (often, actually,) this happens for no reason. (Now and then the only way I know it's raining is when the power goes off.)

The main Chaweng Beach Road has huge 3-metre drainage pipes under it that don't go anywhere as none of the resorts between the road and the sea wanted to be dug up to provide an outlet. (But they do act as a kind of resevoir when it rains.) The rest of the island seems to channel its sewerage into the nearest downhill channel, which mostly seems to surface next to every 7-11 on the ring-road.

Food is comparatively expensive. You won't find a noodle soup for less than 35 baht - but, then, we're talking pennies. Decent and authentic English grub is hard to find for less than around 300 baht a plate.

There are no megastores that have hundreds of clued-in nongs to change your phone settings or print you a copy of your SIM card contacts.

But we do have Tesco, Makro, Boots, McWhatsists and so on . . .

Housing is actually quite cheap now - if you shop around. Samui has been constructing accommodation at the rate of 24% a year (TAT stats for 2008) whereas the arrivals have been increasing at the rate of between 8% and 10% a year (TAT). There is still a lot of the Thai thinking that goes "oh this house has been empty for a year now so I'd better ask more money to reduce my losses". But if you look around you'll still find a nice 2-bedroomed house (unfurnished) for as little as 6,000B - more usually 9-10 K a month.

Liike-minded chaps? I dunno, as I don't know what your mind is like. There's a ton of English, Germans and Aussies ('n Russkies, too - an ever increasing amount) (in that order?) living here, but very few under the age of 40 or so. It's not a kid's island, despite what you might read.

At one time I used to keep an apartment in Pattaya and a house on Samui. It worked out at the same cost to go to Pattaya for a week every month as it did to stay here full time. But after several years I gave it up.

I liked the slow and stupid life here. I liked being able to see the big blue wet thing all around for most of the time. I liked the fact that, in only ten minutes, I could go from bars and bistros and restaurants right up into the mountains. Or find a beach where there was only me (plus suitable female company - clothes not compulsory and nobody to see or know.)

I liked this rustic, annoying, coconut island.

Try to imagine a great big mansion somewhere made out of bits of tin can and scrap wood, held together with duct tape and superglue, plus the odd nail or two, but connected with wire and string to mains electric, and with a water pipe coming in that's connected to Nam Papa up the mountain somewhere. There are holes in all the windows but it's warm so who cares.

Compare that to a Travel Lodge or the plastic-yet-secure comfort of a motel somewhere.

That's the difference between Samui and Pattaya, as I see it.

Phew.

Finished now.

Rob

agree with your post just need to add Pattaya has one of the best immigration offices around and Samui the worst. The road around Pattaya and eastern seaboard in general are excellent I suppose Samui will catch up in the next 30 years but I won't hold my breath.

Just have a read of some of the recent topics here in Samui:

- A missing dog

- Wanted, a carpet beater

- Diving on Tao

- Samui, tsunami free

- Surat to Samui on the cheap

- Kids entertainers.

And compare this to the topics ongoing on the Pattaya forum:

- Beer Laos run

- Botox for men

- Is Songkran too long?

- Relationships gone sour

- No pepsi max

- And their very own section of news clippings full of topics like stabbings, killing, drugs, lewd acts etc.

No tell me, where do you think is the simpler, more relaxed place to live?biggrin.png

Clever response. I like it.

Well mate, only you can decide. However, i have been coming to Samui for 7 years now and lived here for last 3 years. I have been to other parts of Los, but this is where i am the happiest. I have a nice little bungalow at Maenam Bht5000 per month, electricity extra usually between 450 & 500 Bht mth. One of the things i like here is that you can choose to live in a busy area eg Chaweng or Lamai , a quiet area, or some where in between like Maenam. the beaches are very good and water clean unlike like some places such as Pattaya where there is'nt really much choice other than a busy city. We do have an airport albeit a Bangkok Air monolopy so therefore more expensive than normal, however i always drive over to Suratthani to fly at probably half the price.

Some think that its expensive living here, but i do not really agree and am of the impression, that if you cannot afford to live on Samui, then you really cannot afford to live in Thailand. I guess we all prefer different life styles, but i would reccommend you have a look, its only a short flight from Phuket. I just love it here and always, cannot wait to get back.

Good luck.

How much for a "nice little bungalow" in Lamai mate?

Married, kids? Bit more info and I'll give my tuppence worth. I would like to live in north east thailand, but that is because of proximity to wife's family ( babysitters! ) and that would enable myself to enjoy the country more, two kids and seven dogs need looking after sometimes!

Thai wife, been there, ripped off, now single,65 yrs old, good military pension,Love a drink and short times.

ydraw .... a fair comment about the lack of reliable news on the island. I am sure you are right, and a lot goes on that most people don't hear about.

But as Birdman has said, it is very easy to not encounter it, or in my case to actively avoid it. That to me is the beauty of Samui; bad news is less obvious here.

Yes, of course, we get hot and bothered about Bangkok Airways, taxis, rip-off prices, blah blah blah. But you can live and enjoy life away from all of that if you choose to. I suspect in a bigger, livelier, more developed, more obvious place like Pattaya, it is harder to find those quieter spots just 10 minutes drive away. Or that genuine Mom and Pop store happy to help you out. Or a local eaterie with good honest food. We all know the tourist areas, and are grateful that they exist for the economy of the island. But, for me, Samui still has a huge amount more to offer than what the tourists want, and all of it is in easy reach.

I have been to Pattaya twice, and didn't like it at all. To the OP, without really knowing what you don't like about where you are now, we can't fairly tell you that Samui is better.

I used to go to the beach ever day when i lived near ;phuket, pattaya, havnt been on the beach for abut 6 years, and i live across the road from it. The beaches here are shit. Nothing here resembles a tropical paradise. I have spent 2 weeks in cheawang, excuse spelling about 9 years ago, didnt think much of that area.

I lived on Samui for a couple of years in a beautiful bungalow at coral cove, equidistant to Chawaeng and Limai. The bungalow was built into the natural rockface. Great place and 8k a month, I went back last year and it is empty...tempting...Samui is heads and shoulders above Pattaya quality of life wise.

Koh Samui just isnt Chaweng or Lamai though is it ??? i will be going in August with a bike and tour the island till i find a place thet grabs me...........roll on August..........Sandgroper obviously from WA Gday mate;)

Too right cobber.

Sorry, samui is not in the same league as Pattaya - for lots of reasons.

OK so on one on-line paper in Pattaya on the 21/4 we have

1. Husband accused of murdering his wife
  2. Man killed in fight outside beer bar
  3. Gunfire on Pattaya Beach
  4. Drug dealing suspect caught by police
  5. 19 year old stabbed in the neck
  6. 2 hurt following jet ski scam
  7. Body of newborn baby found in garbage truck
  8. Under-age drunk driving dominates Songkhran
  9. 3 injured in shooting outside of north Pattaya restaurant
  10. Man involved in shooting at north Pattaya hospital
  11. traffic police volunteer injured during chase
  12. 19 year old man shot in random shooting
  13. Songkhran begins early in Pattaya
  14. Belarus woman drowns in condo pool
  15. Suspected drug courier arrested in south Pattaya

On the other on-line paper (popular news section) we have

1. Foreigner and 2 Thais randomly shot
  2. Thai man arrested for being a paedophile
  3. Jealous Thai female threw acid on her boyfriend's face
  4. 7 dangerous days of Pattaya's Songkhran
  5. Police legally shoot and kill 'Ball Tonsai' (suspected drug dealer)
  6. Transvestites or real women, sexy dancing in Sattihip
  7. Angry kiwi beefcake stabs Canadian English Teacher in Pattaya

(I omitted 2 news items that were about other countries.) These headlines are only from the front pages of these publications

It would take quite a few months to reach these sort of numbers on Samui.

very slective posting, during my time in Samui 2 friends murdered, one in full view of the whole of Soi Reggae. A guy was shot dead next to me on solo bar , plus many other posting of westerners being wounded in crossfire.

A guy was executed in view of familys enjoying a night out in Fishermans village last year.

i can think of 2 western women rapes there one unfurtunaly was murdered. people are regularly attacked over taxi metre disputes.

Burgalries are wide spread.

Pattaya and Samui have problems but on a like for like basis per head of population Samui has the same problems

When you dont have a newspaper or tv channels its difficult to report is it not.

i have lived in both places, East pattaya for me is streets ahead of Samui.

i visited ofr a week recently, i left after 3 days, did not think the Chaweng road could get worse but it has.

Horses for courses but try and present things in a balanced way to the OP.

interested if you make the move how you get on, having quite a few ex Samui friends here i meet up with, i would be suprised if you last a year.

the people who knock Pattaya probably have not lived here, the sex industry is a mostly in the down town area there are many many more places to live and visit. There are huge industrail estates around pattaya, plus th ebugeest port in Thailand, many of the Thai workers live in what ends up in Pattaya news

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

I used to go to the beach ever day when i lived near ;phuket, pattaya, havnt been on the beach for abut 6 years, and i live across the road from it. The beaches here are shit. Nothing here resembles a tropical paradise. I have spent 2 weeks in cheawang, excuse spelling about 9 years ago, didnt think much of that area.

Chewang has gone downhill since then whistling.gif Much worse than it was 9 years ago. However.....

lots of great places to live. Good beaches and quiet times. For your hobbies, maybe Lamai or that general area. The south and west sides of the island are cheaper/quieter.

Maenam is good and reasonable prices. Bophut is more expensive and mostly tourists.

Choengmon is popular with families.

That's how I see it anyway. Good luck thumbsup.gif