Move To Samui?

When all's said and done I'd rather be in Sihanoukville.

No more visa runs.

Better weather.

Beautiful beaches.

Good on you mate.Why bother coming on here then? Bored over there?

I think 25 years in Thailand gives me the right to compare.

And if you have never been to Cambodia you should try it, you might not be so fast to have a go at those who have.

Kenny

Edited by AussieKenny

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all's said and done I'd rather be in Sihanoukville.

No more visa runs.

Better weather.

Beautiful beaches.

Good on you mate.Why bother coming on here then? Bored over there?

I think 25 years in Thailand gives me the right to compare.

And if you have never been to Cambodia you should try it, you might not be so fast to have a go at those who have.

Kenny

What does Cambodia have to do with Pattaya & Samui as in the OP's original question? There is no right of comparison as you are off topic.

• Like 2

Hey Kenny

A lot of us HAVE been to Cambodia. Your assumption that we have not is pretty naive.

Been there, done that, prefer here. Sorry mate. Stay where you are. Mind you, maybe you hanker for a more varied life - looking at the forums that you read and comment on. Bored over there are you?

Oops - probably out of line here- sorry Rooo. wai.gif

Well I am 50/50 between the two nowadays. But yeah it is an off topic issue. wink.png

been to the Caymen Islands ?... they are what samui where 15 years ago

Edited by Boater

Well I am 50/50 between the two nowadays. But yeah it is an off topic issue. wink.png

been to the Caymen Islands ?... they are what samui where 15 years ago

I imagine the prices are astronomical.biggrin.png

Some nice islands in Vietnam if that's your thing. thumbsup.gif

Edit: Or the Andaman coast of Thailand....whistling.gif I don't mean Phuket before I get shot down in flames! laugh.png

Edited by smokie36

Hey Kenny

A lot of us HAVE been to Cambodia. Your assumption that we have not is pretty naive.

>>> Please read it again, I said "IF you havn't been". I assumed nothing.

Been there, done that, prefer here. Sorry mate. Stay where you are. Mind you, maybe you hanker for a more varied life - looking at the forums that you read and comment on. Bored over there are you?

>>> Bored over where? I live in Phuket, Pattaya and Gold Coast.

Oops - probably out of line here- sorry Rooo. wai.gif

>>> Maybe not out of line but perhaps xenophobic to some extent.

Kenny

i like samui. still an island that won't change unless it blows up. i like capiltasme. ilike the fact less grungey back packers here. i am from a city so i like busy places. I think if samui was as it was 10 years ago i would have liked it for a few months then hung myself out of bordem.

Island does need improving as so does any where in the world.

But the island is imporving and the moreit improves the more money it shall bring in and the more it shall improve to keeo big money spenders here.

I am still in favour of the small businesses that due to caplitsime could be in danger if capitalsme reaches too far. fair balance is what is needed. Or we could be an island under bangkok airways compelte rule with 7/11 and family mart backing them up. even car rentals and small travel shops could be sqeased out by the giants.

these smaller shops are what make samui interestingf. i hope they stay and the crime rate and accident rate remains interesting.

i like samui. still an island that won't change unless it blows up. i like capiltasme. ilike the fact less grungey back packers here. i am from a city so i like busy places. I think if samui was as it was 10 years ago i would have liked it for a few months then hung myself out of bordem.

But the island is imporving and the moreit improves the more money it shall bring in and the more it shall improve to keeo big money spenders here.

I am still in favour of the small businesses that due to caplitsime could be in danger if capitalsme reaches too far. fair balance is what is needed. Or we could be an island under bangkok airways compelte rule with 7/11 and family mart backing them up. even car rentals and small travel shops could be sqeased out by the giants.

these smaller shops are what make samui interestingf. i hope they stay and the crime rate and accident rate remains interesting.

Spot on. Someone mentioned a bridge to the mainland which may have been on this thread. Can you imagine what would happen if one was built! I try and avoid the big supermarkets for the most part unless it's for something I know I can't get anywhere else, I use the local shops or market though it can often cost a few Baht more. Also, fruit and veg lasts longer if I buy it from the market.

Capiltasme, caplitsime, capitalsme.

It's capitalism mate, lol.

Edited by mjj

I lived there 10 years ago and loved it, so its horses for courses. boredom with the guys i hung around with was never something that reared its head. Leam Din market could be a bit messy in the rain season, but the fun factor was high. i dont understand all the new buildings when there are hundreds left like this one for years.

Still Mr AS was darned good fun,, shame he left some parts of the island like this, even the little area opposite Sixth Sence is sealed off for deveolpment. sad.png

post-140396-0-94068600-1336756565_thumb.

Edited by marstons

• 1 month later...

Here is a good example of living on Samui.

I went to Tesco Lamai to buy photo paper for my printer. Tesco sells computer printers, but does not stock photo paper. Checked at the computer shop, Banana IT, and they also do not stock photo paper for printers.

Seriously, what sort of jackoff policy is this?

A supply demand policy?

I find it hard to believe that no one buys photo paper for their printers here.

However, if that is so and I am the oddball for wanting to print on photo paper, then it's even more of a cautionary tale for anyone wanting to move here.

My point being that things that you would imagine to be common are liable to be scarce or non-existent.

I find it hard to believe that no one buys photo paper for their printers here.

However, if that is so and I am the oddball for wanting to print on photo paper, then it's even more of a cautionary tale for anyone wanting to move here.

My point being that things that you would imagine to be common are liable to be scarce or non-existent.

The specialty stationary shops in Nathon have them so do the computer supply shops there. Well at least they did.

I still can't find my carpet beater here though .ermm.gif

• Like 1

Quite honestly it's cheaper to get prints done at the Photo Shops, Fuji or Kodak.... I have found that the ink jet pictures I did before moving to Thailand have faded very badly... (ones on the wall, and don't even get direct sun).... add your cost of ink compared to taking to the shop, I think you'll find cheaper~ !

I was in Tesco Nanthon today, boy!!! a lot of empty space on some of the selves, then in Tesco, Chawang .... same same.... but they are getting better at having McVities bickies in stock.... but no Hob Nobs today!

But they did have some dark Tesco chocolate, but I scoped up all that was there.....tongue.pngthumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

I sometimes use photos from my printer for "quick looks" and for temporary projects. Yes, they do fade.

Stocking is a problem here. I went last year to buy a friend a new pocket camera at Tesco Lamai and probably 60 percent of the cameras were out of stock. Coco market in Buddy's plaza used to have Hormel Chili until I bought the last can. It's been a month and no replacements yet. You'd think if something sold out, they'd take that into consideration in their inventory process, but chances are I will never see that product again there.

I sometimes use photos from my printer for "quick looks" and for temporary projects. Yes, they do fade.

Stocking is a problem here. I went last year to buy a friend a new pocket camera at Tesco Lamai and probably 60 percent of the cameras were out of stock. Coco market in Buddy's plaza used to have Hormel Chili until I bought the last can. It's been a month and no replacements yet. You'd think if something sold out, they'd take that into consideration in their inventory process, but chances are I will never see that product again there.

I noticed the same at Villa. I just put it dow to low season & lighter stock.

i like samui. still an island that won't change unless it blows up. i like capiltasme. ilike the fact less grungey back packers here. i am from a city so i like busy places. I think if samui was as it was 10 years ago i would have liked it for a few months then hung myself out of bordem. Island does need improving as so does any where in the world. But the island is imporving and the moreit improves the more money it shall bring in and the more it shall improve to keeo big money spenders here. I am still in favour of the small businesses that due to caplitsime could be in danger if capitalsme reaches too far. fair balance is what is needed. Or we could be an island under bangkok airways compelte rule with 7/11 and family mart backing them up. even car rentals and small travel shops could be sqeased out by the giants. these smaller shops are what make samui interestingf. i hope they stay and the crime rate and accident rate remains interesting.
Capiltasme, caplitsime, capitalsme. It's capitalism mate, lol.

yes i am not antie capitalzime but time and place.

most capitalzime can be good in the west but in Asia. Capitalizme with laws that do not protect the poor from the rich makes oppotunity to malnolpise evrything.

Capitalizme in the West can be tolerated as they have laws for example to stop manolpies. if they have these laws here then they are obviously not enforced or Bangkok airway airport would be dusted long time ago along with hospital.

Capitalziem has potencial to be dangerous in the far east and east europe i just hope i make it super rich before i get eaten by capitalist pigs. i wouldlike to be one of those pigs. if not then i shall hate them

i like samui. still an island that won't change unless it blows up. i like capiltasme. ilike the fact less grungey back packers here. i am from a city so i like busy places. I think if samui was as it was 10 years ago i would have liked it for a few months then hung myself out of bordem. Island does need improving as so does any where in the world. But the island is imporving and the moreit improves the more money it shall bring in and the more it shall improve to keeo big money spenders here. I am still in favour of the small businesses that due to caplitsime could be in danger if capitalsme reaches too far. fair balance is what is needed. Or we could be an island under bangkok airways compelte rule with 7/11 and family mart backing them up. even car rentals and small travel shops could be sqeased out by the giants. these smaller shops are what make samui interestingf. i hope they stay and the crime rate and accident rate remains interesting.
Capiltasme, caplitsime, capitalsme. It's capitalism mate, lol.

yes i am not antie capitalzime but time and place.

most capitalzime can be good in the west but in Asia. Capitalizme with laws that do not protect the poor from the rich makes oppotunity to malnolpise evrything.

Capitalizme in the West can be tolerated as they have laws for example to stop manolpies. if they have these laws here then they are obviously not enforced or Bangkok airway airport would be dusted long time ago along with hospital.

Capitalziem has potencial to be dangerous in the far east and east europe i just hope i make it super rich before i get eaten by capitalist pigs. i wouldlike to be one of those pigs. if not then i shall hate them

You will be cured of this come the revolution you capitalist pig!

I

Koh Samui just isnt Chaweng or Lamai though is it ??? i will be going in August with a bike and tour the island till i find a place thet grabs me...........roll on August..........Sandgroper obviously from WA Gday mate;)

If your on a bike, good to head over to Dave,s THE HUT on the ghost road, theres always bike talk there
  • Like 1

Where would you rather live? A small tropical island paradise with a low crime rate

I'd like to live on a tropical island paradise with a low crime rate, but Samui's crime rate is astronomical.

wel why do you live here then
  • Like 1

But they did have some dark Tesco chocolate, but I scoped up all that was there.....tongue.pngthumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Dark chocolate and milk fruit and nut (Tesco own brand) both available at tesco Chewang for the last week.

Ha ha...... trust them to bring in when I headed to Malaysia....rolleyes.gif . so it was you who scoped up all but the three bars, I nabbed! tongue.png

I looked for dark chocolate down there, but no have! Endless other types of Cadbury milk chocolate bars....blink.png

I even looked when I drove through Had Yai, no have either! So it's not just Samui! whistling.gif

Where would you rather live? A small tropical island paradise with a low crime rate

I'd like to live on a tropical island paradise with a low crime rate, but Samui's crime rate is astronomical.

wel why do you live here then

Ydraw, how have you personaly been affected by crime?

To what extend has it demaged your life?

Do you reckon that you could really afford your own island in the carrabian on par with say RIchard Branson. If so well i needlesto say.

I hear carmine is willing to pay "any price" for an egg poacher.

Why hire a person to steal eggs when buying them is so cheap?

i could do itas i 'll nick anything i will i ama geezer a bit oo a bit ahhh.

what did come first the chicked on to the egg. if the chick came first then then i am one hell of a egg that can satify any chick drunk.gif