No Deal On Computer Tablets, Thai Education Ministry Prepares Textbooks

webfact

I do not know whether Thailand does it on purpose or accident.

One way of keeping power is to keep the people uneducated, and I think it is fair to say that in Thailand that is the majority case.

The same in Cambodia and Malaysia.

In Malaysia they have put English in and out, and in and out of the curriculum so many times..Their problem is they do not have the teachers for English.

They were teaching Maths and Science for about the last 4 years in English at high school. Announced this year back to Bahasa. Now at one school that has about 5 classes in each form the top 2 in English the others Bahasa.??

When the exam comes they must have different papers, but they can answer in either languager.

So keep them uneducated and we can tell them nore stories.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Education Ministry is now preparing for what could be called Plan B - to hand out textbooks to Prathom 1 students, because it has become apparent computer tablets will not reach their hands for the coming semester.

They forgot to include mentioning a "Plan B" in their election campaign banner.

Rather, they said they would provide free tablet computers for all children (that's 11 million students in primary and secondary schools).

PeauThaiTablet.jpg

No mention lately of what happened to the nation-wide Free WiFi, either.

The Education Ministry is now preparing for what could be called Plan B - to hand out textbooks to Prathom 1 students, because it has become apparent computer tablets will not reach their hands for the coming semester.

Rather, they said they would provide free tablet computers for all children (that's 11 million students in primary and secondary schools).

PeauThaiTablet.jpg

All fart no Shyet

if Steve Jobs can get the factory in China just days before launching the iPhone to design, engineer and change the face of it to glass, replacing the plastic, I'm sure China can pump out some basic tablets. This is just too convenient, and it smells.

now we are getting to something resembling transparency when the smell sense kicks in. i'm with you the Thai people are not being told the true situation about what is going on in this process, but eventually it will come out and why has the p m gone quiet?

" the government and its chosen Chinese supplier have failed to conclude a kickback agreement purchase contract."

The pic shows a lenovo, the kiddies won't be getting them I bet.

They also won't be getting the Samsung Galaxy tablet that Yingluck waved around to her audience while on the campaign trail.

One way of keeping power is to keep the people uneducated, and I think it is fair to say that in Thailand that is the majority case.

In Malaysia they have put English in and out, and in and out of the curriculum so many times..Their problem is they do not have the teachers for English.

They were teaching Maths and Science for about the last 4 years in English at high school. Announced this year back to Bahasa. Now at one school that has about 5 classes in each form the top 2 in English the others Bahasa.??

When the exam comes they must have different papers, but they can answer in either languager.

Hmmmm are they planning to produce a Malaysian chameleon? Chame chame chame chame ..... you come and go, you come and go.....Asians politics.....Want to play cards - Bridge ---- bridging International Polictics...the problem is they have many A's cards in the pack

and most of them are simply jokers over written with an A.

Plan C, after it does not work with text-books

1 sheet of paper and a pencil for every child.....

Paper? Pencil?

When I was a lad it was, 'Where's your slate boy?'

I guess that was some sort of tablet after all.

One sheet of paper is cheaper...just 20 Baht (including the kickback)

• Like 1

Typical Thaksin/PTP politics: dangle a shiny object in front of NE voters, knowing full well they won't know any better, and then, when no one is looking, kindly retract such objects. It's wonderful that Thailand will continue to use textbooks like EVERY other country in the world. It's unfortunate, however, that the government needed to raise funds by lying (if you've been in Thailand more than a few months, you know exactly how venal local culture is). Ultimately, though, Thailand's fortunes and vices will play out on the world stage. This is something Thaksin is clearly unaware of (in evidence in his recent bid to buy Saab fighter planes from Sweden by trading chicken-meat, literally). Globalization is real and the "us-them" colonial distinctions Thailand seems intent on replicating no longer apply. Future Thailand is the world's most entertaining country. Thailand is the "Jersey Shore" of countries. Talking about basic philosophical issues (such as the perception vs. reality distinction) would be so hilarious. You would never get past the definition-of-perception stage. Thailand: a country full of the world's darkest haired blondes. If you ever upset anyone by pointing this out, it's very easy to re-establish calm: simply wave an iPhone and you'll have everyone's attention lickety-split.

• Like 2

Ones hopes that as the business ethics in China is very different to most of the world (although happily it is the same as Thailands) I hope the good disgruntled people from Scope say who received the tea money, hookers, elaborate gifts to get so far in this process before Thailand took back all their potential profit by charging them import tax. Guess they worked out that even paying tea money to get around that element, it would not be worth the effort.

Re the poster; I thought I saw this one or maybe my subconscious read it as such.

Maybe they paid the tea money already. Now they can go to a different company and take tea money a second time :-)

If they say or not say who received the gifts....what difference does it make?

Sadly this seems to be turning into 'one textbook per child'.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I suppose lets be practical and look at Plan C - 1 Text book for two children. This will help friendships and healthy competition and group development. It will also save those who promised Christmas Gifts... but could not even deliver them for Christmas, Perhaps wishful thinking has been the flare of this government. Someone is not doing their job properly.

Typical Thaksin/PTP politics: dangle a shiny object in front of NE voters, knowing full well they won't know any better, and then, when no one is looking, kindly retract such objects. It's wonderful that Thailand will continue to use textbooks like EVERY other country in the world. It's unfortunate, however, that the government needed to raise funds by lying (if you've been in Thailand more than a few months, you know exactly how venal local culture is). Ultimately, though, Thailand's fortunes and vices will play out on the world stage. This is something Thaksin is clearly unaware of (in evidence in his recent bid to buy Saab fighter planes from Sweden by trading chicken-meat, literally). Globalization is real and the "us-them" colonial distinctions Thailand seems intent on replicating no longer apply. Future Thailand is the world's most entertaining country. Thailand is the "Jersey Shore" of countries. Talking about basic philosophical issues (such as the perception vs. reality distinction) would be so hilarious. You would never get past the definition-of-perception stage. Thailand: a country full of the world's darkest haired blondes. If you ever upset anyone by pointing this out, it's very easy to re-establish calm: simply wave an iPhone and you'll have everyone's attention lickety-split.

I read that South Korea changed to Samsung tablets....But can't recall: They changed or they wanted to change???

• Like 1

I suppose lets be practical and look at Plan C - 1 Text book for two children. This will help friendships and healthy competition and group development. It will also save those who promised Christmas Gifts... but could not even deliver them for Christmas, Perhaps wishful thinking has been the flare of this government. Someone is not doing their job properly.

And for a nice kickback it will be overlooked that only half of the textbooks are really delivered.

"We will release the findings in easy-to-understand language to the public in early May," Chalermchai said.

Is Chalermchai saying the public is stupid?

They voted them into power...what other proof do you need?

• Like 2

The kick back would have been concluded before Scope even got to the table and some of it will have been paid. Chinese aren't stupid though and this import tax that was hidden until the last minute must have been the final straw. Anyway, the tablets are a waste of money so it's a good thing. Shelf life of a year (the batteries at least); add losses, breakage, theft etc into the mix they will need to order 1.5 x per child for there to be coverage.

Ones hopes that as the business ethics in China is very different to most of the world (although happily it is the same as Thailands) I hope the good disgruntled people from Scope say who received the tea money, hookers, elaborate gifts to get so far in this process before Thailand took back all their potential profit by charging them import tax. Guess they worked out that even paying tea money to get around that element, it would not be worth the effort.

Re the poster; I thought I saw this one or maybe my subconscious read it as such.

72883739.jpg

What happened to # 4?

nyone with a brain could see this comeing months ago. Trying to buy 1 million tabs and have then delivered in 3 months come on . The supplier probably told them, Your Lack of planning doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. Where is the money taken off budget from other programs. The usual suspects seem to be missing in their all out support all things PTP.

• Like 1

I hope this teaches any other international firms a lesson thinking about doing business with Thailand...and Thailand a lesson not to pick a vendor based solely on price. Due diligence is a wonderful thing when put in the hands of rational, thinking business people.

They weren't chosen for price, they were chosen because PT didn't want to insult their commie overlords in Beijing.

As for the tablets *ever* being bought, that's a joke, they never will be, EVER, and saying it was just a contract dispute was the ED Ministry's way out of it so that the entire P1 class this year didn't completely bomb out.

As for due diligence, you'll have to wait for the next civilization to populate this region, and even then, it might not happen.

• Like 1

PeauThaiTablet.jpg

That actually happened in my village in Kamen Issan.

I am not a politician... reminds me often of a hamster..... constantly on the tread mill and living in a hole, stuffing themselves over to retreat elsewhere to digest. The fiasco that the political party has made making false promises, constantly changing.... like a Chameleon... sometimes Red, sometimes blending in with the situation, at expense to their claims, a rare breed that cannot be contained in a zoo and too clever to be in a circus as clowns. I suppose the stage they have choosen is the best - The political stage, it is here only time will reveal that the act was poorly rehearsed and the scriptwriter lost all links with the audience who has paid bitterly to have them there...

• Like 2

He said his ministry had a budget for textbook procurement.

They do? Earlier the Education Ministry had said the tablet budget was using up the textbook budget.

I am less enthusiastic about the tablet scheme now that I know they will spend 10% of the national education budget on it.

Yes, that was the news today. 6 BILLION BAHT per year.

The new Education Minister went on to say that it would come out of the budget that was previously devoted to providing free school uniforms for students as well as free textbooks

The clueless guy EM Worawut, who obviously has never come close to caring for school-aged children, said, "This will not affect students and the overall education program because... uniforms do not need to be changed to new ones every year."

What a moron.

Another gem from the Chief of Educating the Youth of Thailand, "The tablets will not completely replace textbooks. They will act like calculators that help the student to calculate faster."

blink.png

Surely something lost in translation,he couldn't be that callous and stupid "could he".

At least textbooks won't require the school to have an electricity-supply or wi-fi, in order to work. wink.png

Meanwhile the words 'piss-up, brewery, couldn't & organise' seem appriopriate. cool.png

At least (I presume) the children will be able to take the books home to further study, unlike the tablet plan were they would have to leave them in the school after classes.

When I read that was the idea, that children couldn't take the tablets home to learn on their own is when I completely lost faith in this proposal, at least on their own children have a chance but constrained by the flawed (to put it mildly) teaching methods it's useless, they may just as well use a book to read the day's lesson.

If you give children the opportunity to explore and learn on their own more often than not they will do it, they are wired to learn and experience. I once watched a TED talk about an "experiment" some institute carried on in some village in the middle of nowhere, they installed a computer with access to Internet, looking kind of like an ATM, and simply let children figure it out. The results were amazing, for example children learning English on their own so they could read the things they liked.

72883739.jpg

What happened to # 4?

It was so unrealistic they decided to forget about it before the poster was printed.