No Deal On Computer Tablets, Thai Education Ministry Prepares Textbooks

webfact

Plan C, after it does not work with text-books 1 sheet of paper and a pencil for every child.....
Updated campaign poster : updatedposter.jpg
Interesting that you point out there is no date on the election posters. What happens now pales into insignificance compared to the year before the next general elections. If in 2 years time there is progress with tablets, high speed rail, 300 Baht nationwide minimum wage, etc. PT will give the Dems another pasting at the polls. Maybe they aren't as stupid as you are trying to make them out to be.

Yes they are!hit-the-fan.gif

This is the sort of constructive comment that makes TV such a useful platform for debate.

When your capacity for comment hasn't evolved much further than a Punch and Judy show, I'd suggest that you're not in a great position to comment on any educational matters; your own education was clearly far from perfect.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another scam! My son attends a Thai school here in Bangkok. I was told about the tablets so I told him. He was very happy about the plan. What do I tell him now? He'll grow up not believing what he is told by authorities. This is how the trust goes out of the window.

A good lesson for him. Never believe a politician. My question to you is: Are you teaching him people are trustworthy in Thailand? Reconsider. My other question to you is if you are so worried about him having a tablet why don't you buy him one?

As the story is unbelievable, I shall take a stab at explaining why the father would not spend the money on such a device;

- Prefers to rely on the government to assume the responsibilities of a good father.

• Like 1

" the government and its chosen Chinese supplier have failed to conclude a kickback agreement purchase contract."

The pic shows a lenovo, the kiddies won't be getting them I bet.

They also won't be getting the Samsung Galaxy tablet that Yingluck waved around to her audience while on the campaign trail.

From http://www.asiaone.c...hai/pic11.html:

pic11.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of toppled former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the prime ministerial candidate for the country's biggest opposition Puea Thai party, holds up a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet computer as she speaks to supporters in Bangkok June 18, 2011. Thais will go to the polls on July 3 for a general election. Yingluck was speaking about using tablets for use in schools as part of her plans if she is elected.

I just did a search and the cheapest Samsung Galaxy tablet I could find is around 16k baht: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Metallic DTAC/True

Edited by hyperdimension

Another scam! My son attends a Thai school here in Bangkok. I was told about the tablets so I told him. He was very happy about the plan. What do I tell him now? He'll grow up not believing what he is told by authorities. This is how the trust goes out of the window.

A good lesson for him. Never believe a politician. My question to you is: Are you teaching him people are trustworthy in Thailand? Reconsider. My other question to you is if you are so worried about him having a tablet why don't you buy him one?

My question to you is how do you leap from politicians aren't trustworthy (that's a given!) to people in Thailand aren't trustworthy?! There's plenty of trustworthy people here, just not where the majority of expats choose to spend their time... perhaps venture out of Nana plaza once in a while?!

It's not a leap from politicians to average people. Politicians just have more opportunities and money to demonstrate their worth. Average people are no different here. The problem here is you don't get out enough among average Thais and your eyes are glazed over with denial. They are quick to scam and leach money/beer/possessions/food at every opportunity. By the way, I don't live in Bangkok and I live among the Thais. - Markaew

I would suggest that it's better to teach that trust should be earned rather than instilling a complete lack of trust of everyone in our children.

I agree. - Markaew

As to your 2nd question it's clearly just a bait; the point isn't that the poster "is so worried" that his child needs a tablet, the point is having been told he's to receive one now he'll be disappointed. If you are so concerned about his plight, you could always offer him one yourself?

I am not foolish enough as you to buy a tablet for a 4 1/2 year old. You apparently have more money than sense. As demonstrated by the huge majority here in this thread, it is foolish to buy even a 6 year old a tablet. - Markaew

Edited by Markaew

As the story is unbelievable, I shall take a stab at explaining why the father would not spend the money on such a device;

- Prefers to rely on the government to assume the responsibilities of a good father.

Which part of the story is unbelievable? That he has a son? In a Thai school? Who would be happy to have a tablet? Which ain't coming soon?

And why would anybody buy their 6 yo a tablet when the government you endorse has promised to give him one?

• Like 2

Let's summarize: They tried to push flood water away with speed boats.

They promised to buy tablets for all students.

They promised free WIFI.

Bill Clinton promised to smoke Monica's cigar. And he did it............wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

My question to you is how do you leap from politicians aren't trustworthy (that's a given!) to people in Thailand aren't trustworthy?! There's plenty of trustworthy people here, just not where the majority of expats choose to spend their time... perhaps venture out of Nana plaza once in a while?!

It's not a leap from politicians to average people. Politicians just have more opportunities and money to demonstrate their worth. Average people are no different here. The problem here is you don't get out enough among average Thais and your eyes are glazed over with denial. They are quick to scam and leach money/beer/possessions/food at every opportunity. By the way, I don't live in Bangkok and I live among the Thais. - Markaew

I would suggest that it's better to teach that trust should be earned rather than instilling a complete lack of trust of everyone in our children.

I agree. - Markaew

As to your 2nd question it's clearly just a bait; the point isn't that the poster "is so worried" that his child needs a tablet, the point is having been told he's to receive one now he'll be disappointed. If you are so concerned about his plight, you could always offer him one yourself?

I am not foolish enough as you to buy a tablet for a 4 1/2 year old. You apparently have more money than sense. As demonstrated by the huge majority here in this thread, it is foolish to buy even a 6 year old a tablet. - Markaew

The only thing demonstrated by the "huge majority" on here, is that education in the west clearly isn't up to scratch, or wasn't 50 or so years ago when the average TV poster was in school... basic spelling & grammar is appalling and the naivety displayed by taking a majority opinion on TV as proof of anything shows a gaping void where your common sense should be.

I truly pity you if you really live surrounded by people you feel you can't trust. Perhaps you should move somewhere else or perhaps you should look closely at yourself and why you seem to attract people that try to "scam and leach money/beer/possessions/food" from you "at every opportunity".

If that's a situation that you are content with, you are clearly short of a marble or two... personally if I was in a similar position I would do something about it and I don't mean whining on TV!

You are in denial if you believe that is a healthy situation to raise children in, although somehow I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to bear your children and your comments on parenting are about as relevant as a condom is to a pair of lesbians.

"I am not foolish enough as you to buy a tablet for a 4 1/2 year old"

Perhaps not but then again if your parents had invested a bit more into your education then you might be able to construct a sentence properly... there's a few handy apps that could have helped you on this http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grammar-app-by-tap-to-learn/id377188655?mt=8

If you can protect your funds long enough from those "average Thais" that try to "scam and leach money/beer/possessions/food" from you "at every opportunity", I suggest you try it out... you might actually learn something and catch up with my 4 1/2 year old!

I'm a bit jet-lagged at the moment but this is excellent news. As a former teacher responsible fore IT development in my District, I knew that this was a stupid idea. I think the PT stuck to if for so long because it was someone's brain child and they did not want to lose face. Now either by accident or design it has bit the dust.

I'm a bit jet-lagged at the moment but this is excellent news. As a former teacher responsible fore IT development in my District, I knew that this was a stupid idea. I think the PT stuck to if for so long because it was someone's brain child and they did not want to lose face. Now either by accident or design it has bit the dust.

It hasn't bit the dust yet. I think there is a bit too much face to be lost for this to be just put in the too hard basket.

For anyone genuinely interested in the subject of tablet PCs in education, rather than simply using this thread as an excuse to further your ridicule of Thailand's political & educational systems or direct insults at other TV members, please try actually researching the subject:

http://dera.ioe.ac.u...tpcs_report.pdf

http://www.pcworld.c..._to_school.html

http://c9s.e2bn.net/..._literature.pdf

http://ctl.sri.com/p...p?Nick=tabletpc

So contrary to what many have posted here, it seems this whole concept isn't unique to Thailand and is actually seen as beneficial to education if implemented correctly. These studies range from UK to US to Singapore... and there's a common trend in the findings... if you care to take a break from spouting off and actually read them...

Personally I prefer to base my opinions on multiple studies performed by educational bodies than a few bitter old TV members who are clearly very backward in outlook and resistant to change.

If we were all so blinkered in our views we'd still be routinely burning witches...

Edited by Ferangled

if implemented correctly.

This is the key condition. Which means there should be qualified, competent and experienced people handling this and preferably without corruption. Do you think the current government are the best people to smoothly bring this massive project through to successful completion and maintenace of ongoing operations?

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

This is the key condition. Which means there should be qualified, competent and experienced people handling this and preferably without corruption. Do you think the current government are the best people to smoothly bring this massive project through to successful completion and maintenace of ongoing operations?

In a word, no.

That said I don't think the opposition would be either. I'm sure we'd see similar holdups and the same general display of incompetence.

In a word, no.

That said I don't think the opposition would be either. I'm sure we'd see similar holdups and the same general display of incompetence.

It can´t be worse than it is now.

In a word, no.

The main problem with this election promise is that they promised to do it so quickly. If they'd planned to have a trial this year and then implemented it across the board next year, they would have had a much better chance of succeeding.

It still wouldn't have succeeded, but they would have had a better chance.

In a word, no.

If I may paraphrase your last 2 posts, you think any of us critical of this scheme are Luddites denying the children of Thailand a wonderful learning experience, but neither party is capable of administering the scheme?

In a word, no.

It can´t be worse than it is now.

Of course it could; they could have spunked all the budget with this Chinese supplier only to realize after they'd signed the contract, that in the time frame it would take for them to actually complete the order, they'd be getting a pile of obsolete paper weights.

This creates a perfect opportunity for them to actually think the scheme through, find the correct product and supplier, and implement it properly... will they? Dubious.

In a word, no.

If I may paraphrase your last 2 posts, you think any of us critical of this scheme are Luddites denying the children of Thailand a wonderful learning experience, but neither party is capable of administering the scheme?

No thanks, I'd much prefer if you could actually quote me and question me on the content of my posts rather than simply attributing a false position to me on this.

If you could actually digest the content of my posts, you might realize that I support the concept but not the implementation.

In a word, no.

No thanks, I'd much prefer if you could actually quote me and question me on the content of my posts rather than simply attributing a false position to me on this.

If you could actually digest the content of my posts, you might realize that I support the concept but not the implementation.

That's why I posed it as a question.

As to implementation, I see the ANNUAL demand as 1 million units, rising to possibly 3 million if the tablets are replaced/upgraded every 2 years. Unless of course this is merely a flash-in-the-pan one-off stunt. The preferred tenderer has capacity to satisfy 10% of that. It should take quite a big rethink.

In another thread I am asking why any country would seek to import such a large number of devices rather than ask a manufacturer to produce them here, with guaranteed government orders.

In a word, no.

The main problem with this election promise is that they promised to do it so quickly. If they'd planned to have a trial this year and then implemented it across the board next year, they would have had a much better chance of succeeding.

It still wouldn't have succeeded, but they would have had a better chance.

and more than a few posters would have called it a 'broken promise'?

B)

cool.png

When they promise to implement it in the next school year and it's not implemented it in the next school year, then it will have been a broken promise.

They shouldn't have promised to implement it in the next school year.

• Like 1

In a word, no.

That's why I posed it as a question.

As to implementation, I see the ANNUAL demand as 1 million units, rising to possibly 3 million if the tablets are replaced/upgraded every 2 years. Unless of course this is merely a flash-in-the-pan one-off stunt. The preferred tenderer has capacity to satisfy 10% of that. It should take quite a big rethink.

In another thread I am asking why any country would seek to import such a large number of devices rather than ask a manufacturer to produce them here, with guaranteed government orders.

That's a valid question but I'd imagine the fairly obvious answer lies in the lack of any existing Thai companies abilities to fulfill such an order.

I think that in reality the majority of countries embarking on such an enterprise would be relying on Chinese companies, maybe not as the end suppliers, but certainly as manufacturers of certain components.

I suggest it would be far better to stall a year & do a deal with a mainstream company like Acer, Apple or Samsung. As a nationwide scheme to improve education it could serve as a great advertising campaign for any company involved and I'm sure a competitive deal could be worked out.

The key being these companies are actually capable of fulfilling such huge orders and have a support system in place for end users.

Personally I'd like to see something like this http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/371776/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime with Windows 8 running on it, properly evaluated with consideration to running educational software and a whole year to prepare the education system for it's arrival...

And while we're talking education, a quick lesson in grammar for you, free of charge...

"If I may paraphrase your last 2 posts" forms a question, to which I replied..

"you think any of us critical of this scheme are Luddites denying the children of Thailand a wonderful learning experience, but neither party is capable of administering the scheme" is a statement of your inaccurate assumption of my point of view...

You're welcome thumbsup.gif

Let's summarize: They tried to push flood water away with speed boats.

They promised to buy tablets for all students.

They promised free WIFI.

Bill Clinton promised to smoke Monica's cigar. And he did it............wai.gif

Sorry for my ignorance here but I thought Monica smoked Bill's cigar..............and she did! tongue.png

I'm not saying that her improved performance is purely because of the tablet, but it's a great way of keeping her constructively amused. Most 4 or 5 year olds can pick one up and be totally comfortable with it after a few tries but just watch the number of adults continually struggling with their smart phones and gadgets...

Yes, my 2 1/2 year old taught me how to use the 'need a password for any change' utility on my iphone when he deleted 'Real Racing 2', which after 3 months I was within 1 race of completing the game with 1st position in every race crazy.gif

However the Government squirm out of this plan, I don't care, whether they are planning to use the Chinese as scapegoats or what, but the total failure of this project at the moment will be the best thing the government has done since it came into power. There has been no thought, no planning, nothing. Time to start a 2 year scoping study and planning phase for a 3 year from now start point.

I'm not saying that her improved performance is purely because of the tablet, but it's a great way of keeping her constructively amused. Most 4 or 5 year olds can pick one up and be totally comfortable with it after a few tries but just watch the number of adults continually struggling with their smart phones and gadgets...

Yes, my 2 1/2 year old taught me how to use the 'need a password for any change' utility on my iphone when he deleted 'Real Racing 2', which after 3 months I was within 1 race of completing the game with 1st position in every race crazy.gif

However the Government squirm out of this plan, I don't care, whether they are planning to use the Chinese as scapegoats or what, but the total failure of this project at the moment will be the best thing the government has done since it came into power. There has been no thought, no planning, nothing. Time to start a 2 year scoping study and planning phase for a 3 year from now start point.

I think that would be ideal, having time to properly evaluate and implement not that your 2 1/2 yr old deleted your game!

Sadly a potential loss of support leading to a change in Government within that time-frame motivates all schemes and policies to be rushed through without proper thought... sadly a trend that can be seen in many Governments in many countries, an unfortunate reality of democracy!

cool.png

When they promise to implement it in the next school year and it's not implemented it in the next school year, then it will have been a broken promise.

They shouldn't have promised to implement it in the next school year.

I know that the PTP made May 2012 the goal once they took office. But I did not see where May 2012 was the explicit campaign promise. It might have been implied, but did you ever see that date before the election?

I know that the PTP made May 2012 the goal once they took office. But I did not see where May 2012 was the explicit campaign promise. It might have been implied, but did you ever see that date before the election?

http://www.thaivisa....r-tablets-plan/ (Posted 2011-07-11)

But Pavich Thongroj, an educational adviser for the Pheu Thai Party, insisted the party would go ahead with the handout of tablets, with netbooks or notebooks for older students.

He expected the Pheu Thai-led government to begin implementing the policy by giving the tablets to 800,000 Prathom-1 students in the 2012 fiscal year.

Edited by whybother

http://www.thaivisa....r-tablets-plan/ (Posted 2011-07-11)

But Pavich Thongroj, an educational adviser for the Pheu Thai Party, insisted the party would go ahead with the handout of tablets, with netbooks or notebooks for older students.

He expected the Pheu Thai-led government to begin implementing the policy by giving the tablets to 800,000 Prathom-1 students in the 2012 fiscal year.

I too find a lot of post-election references with target dates.

What I have not found so far is a pre-election reference with target dates.

But again, the program is moving and everyone knows it ... you might call it a missed target, but it would be dishonest to call it a broken promise.

Oh, I'm sooooo, soooooo, sooooo, surprised. Thus continuing a near-perfect record by the education department- hand in hand with EVERY Thai government- to continue to do nothing except look for even more creative ways to siphon off public revenue into private pockets.

• Like 1