Thais Worried About Wrinkles, Not Brains: Survey

webfact

SURVEY

Thais worried about wrinkles, not brains

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30180550-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- When it comes to the effects of getting older, Thais are more likely to worry about ageing skin and wrinkles than about mental deterioration, a recent survey found.

Singapore-based Brand's Brain Research Centre asked 1,800 respondents aged between 25 and 49 about their attitudes and behaviour relating to ageing and anti-ageing measures in eight Asian markets: mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.

It aimed to find out people's attitudes and perceptions towards anti-ageing measures for the brain, behaviour to combat the mental effects of ageing, and any specific concerns they have regarding ageing.

The survey showed that most respondents in those eight markets felt that the brain, heart and bones were the top three parts of the body that needed to be protected from the effects of ageing. Asked to name the three signs of getting older they were most worried about, about 45 per cent of Thai respondents answered that ageing of the skin and wrinkles were their main concern, followed by reduced physical-function capacity and deterioration of vision.

Respondents in Singapore said brain deterioration was their main worry, followed by reduced physical function and increased chance of cardiovascular disease.

The main signs of ageing are reduced physical function, ageing of skin and wrinkles, brain deterioration, loss of memory, increased chances of cardiovascular disease, slow thinking, greying of hair, loss of teeth and deterioration of vision.

Asked about signs of mental deterioration, Thais were mostly worried about poor memory, forgetfulness and slower thinking. Meanwhile, respondents in other places such as Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan were concerned about a lack of concentration, lower levels of alertness, inability to absorb new information and poor judgement.

Asked what they felt were the most effective ways to slow the biological effects of ageing, about 84 per cent responded that they would use anti-ageing cream to protect themselves from degeneration symptoms.

This was followed by maintaining a healthy and balanced diet (83 per cent) and getting enough sleep (71 per cent). Only 49 per cent of respondents thought that taking supplements would protect them from ageing.

The survey found that about 65 per cent of Japanese respondents felt that maintaining a healthy and balanced diet was the most effective way to slow the effects of ageing.

This was followed by regular physical exercise (58 per cent), getting enough sleep (49 per cent) and minimising stress (43 per cent). Only 7 per cent of Japanese respondents believed that taking food supplements was the best approach for them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-24

The all-round ignorance and lack of awareness in the Thai population is scary.

Only surpassed by the population on Thai Visa whom I am sure would have concluded beer was the prime way to avoid aging.

It is, beer I mean. Universal cure against the madnesses and illnesses of this world. And it makes pretty!

• Like 1

Only surpassed by the population on Thai Visa whom I am sure would have concluded beer was the prime way to avoid aging.

But a good source of nutrition :)
  • Like 1

That's really a no-brainer. :rolleyes:

That's really a no-brainer. rolleyes.gif

I knew I would eventually write something that would find universal acceptance on Thai Visa.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of setting up a franchise for face irons in Asia and this is invaluable market research.

Anyone interested in a stake in Thailand should PM me.

Freshface - gets rid of more wrinkles than a truck load of walnuts

It is, beer I mean. Universal cure against the madnesses and illnesses of this world. And it makes pretty!

Beer - the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.blink.png

Actually, I see this as a non-truth. My opinion is that the greedy, bean-counting marketers out there prey upon ignorance, and then use the ignorant people to create their poll and survey statistics only after they have baited and hooked them onto their multi-trillion dollar marketing campaigns.

This is "putting their words into the mouths of the ignorant" and then broadcasting the results as they preen their feathers. It is a vicious cycle that originates in the halls of government, religion, industry and the media and vomits out rubbish that serves no purpose other than providing an opiate for the masses to further spiral downward to the lowest common denominator; ignorance and stupidity!

Another stupid news feed (poorly written at that!) that compounds the stupidity of the context of the article.

• Like 2

But it is...... or it at least takes your mind off it.

What do you expect in a society that prides appearance way ahead of substance, that is why people with degrees in basket weaving are 'qualified' to be English teachers, that is why new buildings only need look new for a couple of years and then if they crumble from the inside who cares. Well if everything is Maya in the end why try to pretend that it is anything else.

No, not to avoid aging, but to forget about it.

• Like 1

PATIENT;doctor, ive come for a blood test, my memory has become so bad ,is my age ???

DOC; how long you been like this PATIENT; cant remember. DOC; OK, I'll take some blood, come back tomorrow.

{after several missed appts} ... DOC; im sorry , i have some good and some bad news for you. PATIENT;OK, give me the bad news first . DOC;im sorry, ....but you have AIDS .PATIENT; O.M.G !!,.......and the good news ??????

DOC; Well,............you have altzhiemers , and by the time you leave my surgery you would have forgotten about your aids !!

• Like 1

Not nice to say. Many Women all over the world think the same way

Women from EU / US spend a lot of hours sunbathing and using tanning-machines too even though UV ages the skin & causes wrinkles. Bkk girls all want to look like chalk-white like Casper the friendly ghost, using skin-bleaching treatment and hiding from the sun. I don't know whats so pretty about looking pallid, imo they got sold a great big lie. When you are older nobody cares how you look anyway, it don't matter if you got wrinkles or not.

Yes,i've solved all the worlds problems whilst having a beer or two or....