Land Rover Evoque.

mjj

Paying 100,000 Euros for a car you can get for less than half this price in the real world ?

Flush out your head gear people, this is a highway robbery .

I bet you don;t even get a GPS for this price.

Sadly, there is no point comparing prices to EU or Oz or USA or where ever else, because if you live in Thailand, these are the prices, like it or not

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying 100,000 Euros for a car you can get for less than half this price in the real world ?

Sadly, there is no point comparing prices to EU or Oz or USA or where ever else, because if you live in Thailand, these are the prices, like it or not

I agree, it is absurd comparing prices if you live in Thailand and you can afford it, buy it, otherwise you buy a cheaper car.

I agree, it is absurd comparing prices if you live in Thailand and you can afford it, buy it, otherwise you buy a cheaper car.

What is absurd is your reasoning . You deserve to be robbed .

This is the real world.. its just a different real world than the one we are used to in the West.

This is a real world where many things are more expensive and many things are cheaper...

For some / many the savings on EU tax are greater than the additional cost of these 4 MB cars.

By living in Thailand some people have more expendable income and can can choose luxurious items... how is that less real world and who really needs their head flushing out ? Those who can afford it, or those who can't and moan about the costs.

We live once and I for one would like to look back on my life and see that I permitted myself some of the enjoyment and pleasures my hard work afforded me.

not having to pay the UK or EU taxes saves more money than these cars cost.

This is the real world.. its just a different real world than the one we are used to in the West.

This is a real world where many things are more expensive and many things are cheaper...

For some / many the savings on EU tax are greater than the additional cost of these 4 MB cars.

By living in Thailand some people have more expendable income and can can choose luxurious items... how is that less real world and who really needs their head flushing out ? Those who can afford it, or those who can't and moan about the costs.

We live once and I for one would like to look back on my life and see that I permitted myself some of the enjoyment and pleasures my hard work afforded me.

not having to pay the UK or EU taxes saves more money than these cars cost.

I agree with you. And, as I think IMHO summarized it once, the car depreciates the same as in the west, and therefore retains its high resale value, it's only that the COST OF ENTRY is prohibitive for most people on premium cars. In the west, anybody with a good income can own a 3 series or Evoque, etc., and it's nothing special. Here, it's just a totally different game.

What I really miss is the choice - it's so limited, unless you go to gray market cars, and those have their own drawbacks.

The issue with Grey Market is the poor warranty... Best Grey Market warranties I've seen are 2 years.

BMW offer a 5 year warranty.

My old car also had a 5 year warranty.

However, the Range Rover Evoque costs about 4 to 4.2 MB in the Grey Market versus about 4.6 to 4.8 MB from a dealer (depending on model and package) with a 3 year warranty.

With a new Range Rover now costing about 12 MB (i.e. £240,000) I think there is a lot more depreciation than in the UK, those prices are extremely daft. However - the mid range cars... i.e. BMW 5 Series, Merc E Class etc.. at about 4 MB do depreciate on financial parity with cars in the West.

Cars in the UK are worth about 50-55% of the new cost after 3 years. The second hand cost of cars in Thailand is a significantly higher percentage after 3 years - but the money lost may be similar with the UK. Some cars are a lot cost effective than others.. i.e. Merc and Toyota are known for their better resale values in Thailand.

I have a friend who a few years back actually made money on a car in Thailand when considering the exchange rates and resale value after 3 years !...

What is absurd is your reasoning . You deserve to be robbed .

Oh, really? Come on and rob my car, I have 1st class insurance, may be this way you can get a car for you too. Hater

Always gives me a smile about prices of car in the Real World......

here out in the countryside you can buy a nice detached house for 25 - 30,000 GBP.....

Same size house same distance from a City in the UK would cost 250 - 300,000 GBP.....

Guess Thais in the UK would say in the real world would cost a fraction of that...

Myself I live here so do not even give a thought as to what items cost in UK, as I live and buy things here in Thailand.

here out in the countryside you can buy a nice detached house for 25 - 30,000 GBP.....

Same size house same distance from a City in the UK would cost 250 - 300,000 GBP.....

Guess Thais in the UK would say in the real world would cost a fraction of that...

Myself I live here so do not even give a thought as to what items cost in UK, as I live and buy things here in Thailand.

That sums it up Perfectly ..Well said Mr Ignis.

I seriously fail to see why people even bother to compare prices.

To start with a minimum wager in UK does not earn $10 per days.

Also average meal in UK does not cost $1-$2

What is the point of comparing price for a house in UK to price of a house in Thailand? are you going to buy one in Thailand and somehow import it to UK?

Just as there is no point comparing prices of a car, because you will not be buying one in a country where its cheaper and bringing it over to Thailand.

Things in Thailand costs what it cost, so can afford a car which cost 10 times more than in does back home and some can not.

Some can not own a home back home, but can here.

Maybe the British pensioners living in LOS should stop posting their opinions herein?

Read and weep lads.

PS. Just added another 380 miles on my Evoque while I was home last month. At this rate it should be properly run-in by 2015.

PPS. I drive a Ranger pickup here. Keeps things in perspective.

Edited by NanLaew

Maybe the British pensioners living in LOS should stop posting their opinions herein?

Read and weep lads.

PS. Just added another 380 miles on my Evoque while I was home last month. At this rate it should be properly run-in by 2015.

Hmmmmmmmmm, think many of us pensioners would not spend zillions on a BMW Mini look-a-like. Crazy stuff. sad.png BUT, you have fun and not worry about us pensioners eh. smile.png .

• Like 1

Read and weep lads.

Hmmmmmmmmm, think many of us pensioners would not spend zillions on a BMW Mini look-a-like. Crazy stuff. sad.png BUT, you have fun and not worry about us pensioners eh. smile.png .

Unless it was a Toyotatongue.png

Read and weep lads.

I get the feeling that the posters who denigrate anything other than a Moped, ain't got a Pot to Piss in. Also they pass opinions on Trucks N Cars they have never sat in, yet alone driven.My personal dislike is Hi Rider Trucks, yet i'm happy in a Lo Rider anything.smile.png

I paid 110K euro for my evoque that in Europe cost 75K, so we are talking about of 30% more for Thai tax and dealership. To me it is fair. If I want to go back in Europe I can sell my car for 95K and buy a Lamborghini or Audi r8 in Europe... So what's the problem? In the meanwhile I live here, so I enjoy luxury cars here... I can also go in USA one day (if I win a green card) there cars are even much cheaper than Europe (also German cars), so what this means in Europe people don't buy luxury cars because in USA they are cheaper...?

• Like 2

I would consider buying one if

a) they would be technically superior, or even equal, to the japs, but they are not even close unfortunately

B) they would offer something unique

c) the price would be reasonable

Spending 4 million on a car that isnt really good at anything, and of poor quality, with aftermatke issues, isnt my cup of tea. I like the looks, but not enough.

Your argument of losing only 15k on one isnt valid IMO. In any case its probably more, and there is liquity problem as well. Your loss ends up being equal to amount of what a new Thai made car costs (that performs better). Not to mention the loss of capital gains.

You lose much more in Europe when you resell a car. The problem is that for you 4 M thb maybe it is too much, everything is related to your income. And what is a better SUV than evoque in Thailand? A fortuner? Or a ugly pajero sport? Come on

Were all different. There are 2 newish 7Series BMs by me,one brother uses it daily, whilst the Black one just sits in the yard covered in Pigeon Poo. Not my Business, but id like it!!. Cant get my head round this Hybrid Stuff. if you buy a Porche do you care about saving money.coffee1.gif

Were all different. There are 2 newish 7Series BMs by me,one brother uses it daily, whilst the Black one just sits in the yard covered in Pigeon Poo. Not my Business, but id like it!!. Cant get my head round this Hybrid Stuff. if you buy a Porche do you care about saving money.coffee1.gif

what company builds these Porche cars, what do they look like and are they meant for front or back porches? huh.png

• Like 1

Why hybrid? 10% excise tax vs 50% excise tax smile.png The hybrid version is 4.2M Baht cheaper than the lower spec'd/powered non-hybrid version.

Edited by IMHO

Why hybrid? 10% excise tax vs 50% excise tax smile.png The hybrid version is 4.2M Baht cheaper than the lower spec'd/powered non-hybrid version.

I cant see a Thai with that money giving a dam.But Good reply,thanks. Seems the Toyota Hybrids catch fire.

And what is a better SUV than evoque in Thailand? A fortuner? Or a ugly pajero sport? Come on

I'd say the Cayenne Hybrid is better, but my wife would likely disagree ;)

Hey, sure Cayenne is better! But the guy I replied to he was talking about japs cars available in Thailand, so probably he was thinking of a fortuner.

I cant see a Thai with that money giving a dam.But Good reply,thanks. Seems the Toyota Hybrids catch fire.

LOL :)

If you don't give a damn about 6.5M Baht vs 10.7M Baht, chances are you won't remain wealthy for too long... :D

LOL smile.png

If you don't give a damn about 6.5M Baht vs 10.7M Baht, chances are you won't remain wealthy for too long... biggrin.png

I said Thais, those who buy 7 Mill BMs Pigeons to poop on,will always have more than the majority Retired Ferangs here. Im not handling Retirement well at all.sad.png