Cycling Clubs In Bkk & Chiang Mai

BonanzaS35

Easy rides every Sunday, huge groups:

http://www.cmcycling.org/

the calendar is in English

Mostly farang, a variety of rides:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RoadRiderChiangMai/

There are usually rides 4 or 5 days a week

There are plenty of other groups that you'll meet on the roads around Chiang Mai. Speaking Thai will be important.

Not really a club, but you could also try http://www.ridewithgps.com. The best place for regional mountain bike rides is the forum section on www.thaimtb.com. Like el jefe says, speaking and reading Thai helps a lot. If not, you can usually find someone in a Thai group that speaks English well enough to get you connected.

Spin Bike shop on Canal Road in Chiang Mai has daily rides as do a few of the other shops.

There seems to be no formal club structure in Thailand as there is in Europe/America etc. But thereare a lot of informal groups meeting for different kinds of rides.

I know a little about Chiang Mai:\\

Soi Tan Hansa Chiang Mai Cycling Club (there is a website somewhere); Regular hard and fast rides organised by Spin Bike which is the bike shop on the left side of the Canal Road (heading out of town), just before the junction to the Night Safari; They go on Tuesday & Thurs evenings; Sat morns and Sundays if there is no racing.

www.cyclechiangmai.com is a bit out of date but has a few pointers and some maps to show where some rides start;

The Yahoo group Roadrider Chiang Mai has regular information about rides, where to meet etc

Also there is a slower group, though the pace can be variable depending on who turns up, that rides most mornings at 8am from the Casa del Caffe which is on the Samoeng Road, left hand side as you head towards the Canal junction from the Hang Dong Road (immediately after the 7-eleven); You can check or ask about these rides on roadriders chiang mai.

If you ride the velodrome, there are two sessions a week (depending on weather etc); We try Saturday mornings and one other morning or early evening, but check on road riders. Here you'll need a track bike, helmet and gloves. Bikes can be pre-booked.

In Thailand if you ride a Bianchi, there is a Bianchi club with regular rides in different places in Thailand. Check this with TCA (Thai Cycling Alliance)

Edited by ianf

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody gone on the Chiang Mai Sunday Cycling Club rides? Interested in knowing what's like. Spoke to the man whose cell number is on website, very nice guy, but he said he hasn't ridden with them so I'm looking for some first hand experience info. I was under the impression that they were easy rides but seem to be over 80 km which is no walk, I mean ride, in the park. Any info appreciated.

Anybody gone on the Chiang Mai Sunday Cycling Club rides? Interested in knowing what's like. Spoke to the man whose cell number is on website, very nice guy, but he said he hasn't ridden with them so I'm looking for some first hand experience info. I was under the impression that they were easy rides but seem to be over 80 km which is no walk, I mean ride, in the park. Any info appreciated.

junglechef... The rides are quite varied. Usually a short early ride around the city and then a longer ride to a destination somewhere. (www.cmcycling.org) Very friendly group and not fast riding. It is a great way to learn Chiang Mai and worth the time however. I don't ride with them often any more but I do enjoy seeing old friends there. Also..... There are occasionally split off groups and several times I have come home with 100-120 km in at the end of the day.
  • Like 1

Easy rides every Sunday, huge groups:

http://www.cmcycling.org/

the calendar is in English

Mostly farang, a variety of rides:

http://sports.groups...RiderChiangMai/

There are usually rides 4 or 5 days a week

There are plenty of other groups that you'll meet on the roads around Chiang Mai. Speaking Thai will be important.

As jeff says there are a couple of other groups that meet on a regular basis in Chiang Mai.

Most mornings, not every morning, there is a moderate ride from the Casa del Cafe coffee shop just off the Canal Road. This goes at 8am. 2 to 2.5 hours. The coffee bar is just bast the 7-11 on the right hand side as you travel towards Samoeng from the Hang Dong Road on the 121 (just before the Canal Road). Mainly road bikes.

Also Spin Bike has two hard training sessions (a bit marginal in terms of safety) that leave from the Spin Bike shop at 5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Spin Bike is on the left side of the Canal Road as you head towards the Night Safari turn. Usually about 20+ road bikes for this 1.5 hour session.

Riders who use the roadriders forum are always happy to organise impromptu rides and some are advertised on the forum but not all.

junglechef... The rides are quite varied. Usually a short early ride around the city and then a longer ride to a destination somewhere. (www.cmcycling.org) Very friendly group and not fast riding. It is a great way to learn Chiang Mai and worth the time however. I don't ride with them often any more but I do enjoy seeing old friends there. Also..... There are occasionally split off groups and several times I have come home with 100-120 km in at the end of the day.

Usually very very slow rides.

Usually very very slow rides.

True... With frequent rest and food stops making it usually an all-day event.