What Type Of Ants Do I Have?

english_farang_lady

We have a plague of these large (half inch/1.5cm) long big orange/red ants. They are taking over. We bought some liquid poison, but were told that the grass would die if we used it.

Since the ants are living in the grass at the base of a mature Ma Toom tree, we have not used it.

Also worried that we will poison pets, and groundwater.

Can anyone tell me what these beasts are called ? And the best way to get rid of them?

Whilst they at first lived in a large hole (about 6" diameter), now they have filled in the hole and have made a short pyramid which is infested with them.

I dearly want to eradicate them from this area and would appreciate all advice.

Thank you.

Note To The PowersThat Be : How about a category for garden matters - plants, insects, creatures etc? I am sure lots of people have problems with pests here.

We have a plague of these large (half inch/1.5cm) long big orange/red ants.  They are taking over.  We bought some liquid poison, but were told that the grass would die if we used it.

Since the ants are living in the grass at the base of a mature Ma Toom tree, we have not used it. 

Can anyone tell me what these beasts are called ?  And the best way to get rid of them?

Whilst they at first lived in a  large hole (about 6" diameter), now they have filled in the hole and have made a short pyramid which is infested with them.

Thank you.

Note To The PowersThat Be :  How about a category for garden matters - plants, insects, creatures etc?  I am sure lots of people have problems with pests here.

They're called mod daeng in Thai มดแดง we use boiling water to eliminate them and their trails when they start to climb into the house. You could also pour a little petrol on the ant heap and set fire to it.

I'm an organic gardener so I don't use the poisons. I use a propane torch to burn those on the surface first...then dig where there hole(s) is(are) and burn the eggs and ants that turn up. I'm also Buddhist so I'm try to be mindful that I am killing other beings and sometimes I have to admit that if a big heavenly torch should appear and burn me then I guess that would be OK too.

You might ask some Thai people if they want to come and collect the eggs before you snuff them. Mot daeng eggs are very very tasty....at least the ones up here are but up here (in the north) mot daeng live in trees by taking some large leaves and glueing them together to make an enclosure for their home....I'm not sure if you have the same thing since you say they are living in the ground....neither my wife nor I have ever seen them living in the ground.

Edited by chownah

I'm an organic gardener so I don't use the poisons.  I use a propane torch to burn those on the surface first...then dig where there hole(s) is(are) and burn the eggs and ants that turn up.  I'm also Buddhist so I'm try to be mindful that I am killing other beings and sometimes I have to admit that if a big heavenly torch should appear and burn me then I guess that would be OK too.

You might ask some Thai people if they want to come and collect the eggs before you snuff them.  Mot daeng eggs are very very tasty....at least the ones up here are but up here (in the north) mot daeng live in trees by taking some large leaves and glueing them together to make an enclosure for their home....I'm not sure if you have the same thing since you say they are living in the ground....neither my wife nor I have ever seen them living in the ground.

Well put Chon..... as sure as ants eggs are ants eggs the fire will come for you one day........But I REALLY hope thats a long way off!

PS. I use boiling water on any I have, we had an infestation last year,they were making nests in the leaves outside the back door. They are very clever bugs though, they will try to bite you if they feel threatened, and their bites are NASTY.

We used to have to carefully cut the leaves off throw on the water and RUN! but it worked eventually over many days they had all gone to a better place.

Good luck

TP

We have a plague of these large (half inch/1.5cm) long big orange/red ants.  They are taking over.  We bought some liquid poison, but were told that the grass would die if we used it.

Can anyone tell me what these beasts are called ?  And the best way to get rid of them?

Whilst they at first lived in a  large hole (about 6" diameter), now they have filled in the hole and have made a short pyramid which is infested with them.

Thank you.

Note To The PowersThat Be :  How about a category for garden matters - plants, insects, creatures etc?  I am sure lots of people have problems with pests here.

We have a lot of them but they stay away from the house so it is not a problem.

I don't know how to kill them as there are so many but I will try some of the advice on this thread.

Unfortunately they have a close cousin that looks the same but is much smaller and by the time you feel them on you the b******* have bitten you. The bite is about size of a fingernail and it itches like buggery for a few days.

A friend of mine from Germany came over last year and they really loved him. He had over 50 on his right leg alone.

Usually something like Tiger Balm in white take the pain away but they still itch for ages.

I hate the ###### things.

:o

played golf earlier this year and the ball landed by a tree, as i swung the club i hit the branches above me and low and behold i got covered in these b+st+rds and i will definately varify the above the bites are painfull and irritable.

big buggers ain;t they