Applying For A Credit Card In Thailand

I am aware that applying for a credit card in Thailand and actually being accepted is by no means easy. Walking into a Thai bank in the street would be met by a firm NO I think, but I had a conversation with a chap recently who says he went to AEON in Seacon Sqaure with his Passport, work permit, 6 months bank statements and a nice friendly smile and he was given a gold AEON credit card with a 50,000THB limit on it. Can anyone else confim this and/or does anyone have any experience with AEON. I wouldn't mind having a credit card here for emergency purposes.

Please advise and many thanks in advance for any help on this.

I am pestered by my BKK Bank local bank manager almost every time I go to the bank.

All you have to do is to deposit an amount more than the credit card limit with them. I was asked for twice the limit, but other people in different banks have been asked less.

I suppose this is not a real credit card, as you don't get any credit. But it works as a credit card for payments, and, to be honest, I think this is a good system. No endless revolving credit above your means.....

Basically, at the end of the day, all you can get is effectively a debit card against whatever balance you maintain in your account.

This is not the same as an unsecured debit card that you might be accustomed to in, say, the UK.

Basically, at the end of the day, all you can get is effectively a debit card against whatever balance you maintain in your account.

This is not the same as an unsecured debit card that you might be accustomed to in, say, the UK.

Mine is an unsecured credit card, not in anyway connected to any other bank account I have.

Edited by Spoonman

Thailand is by no means different from other countries, they have rules and regulations, what I can tell is concerning Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai, but it should be the same every where as the decision is mate at Head office Level in Bangkok.

No work permit is needed but a long stay visa is, as for the deposit it is only for the first year that the money is "locked" on a saving account to guarantee your spendings (bear in mind they do not know your spending history), and you decide yourself what is the spending limit you want to set, but this amount, I repeat, will be on a saving account bearing interests, but unavailable for the first year.

From start to finish it took 3 weeks to Get Visa and Matercard Platinum with a 200 K monthly limit.

Of course we have very good relations wuith our branch manager. But believe me, having been confronted to the problem in many other countries, Thailand is easy compared to many.

I read many posts complaining about difficulties with admin in Thailand, it is not different from other countries, just follow the rules and regulations and everything should go smoothly, most of the information is available on Internet, either in Thai or in English, just do your homework and you'll appreciate your stay in Thailand, stop complaining please.....

If all you need or want is the ability to make purchases with the convenience of using a credit card to purchase merchandise without always having to have cash on hand or to make hotel/airline reservations online and you don't actually need to borrowing money (using the actual "credit" line of a credit card) there are several alternatives to a Thai credit card.

The most obvious is an ATM-Visa (or M-C) bank debit card. These cards can be used anyplace that accepts credit cards for payment and of course, the monies are automatically deducted from your bank account. As for online payments, Kasikorn (and I assume others) has what they call a K-Web card, which is basically a "virtual" Visa debit card that one uses as a credit card for online purchases. Again, the charges are debited from a linked bank account. There is no special paperwork required for these cards, other than what's required for opening a standard savings account. Security is also very good as their is SMS verification of charges and a 4-6 day delay from posting to actual debiting (allowing for challenging disputed or fraudulent card use) of the virtual card charges.

Using these two types of cards, I find no need for an actual Thai credit card.

Edited by FarangBuddha

As for online payments, Kasikorn (and I assume others) has what they call a K-Web card, which is basically a "virtual" Visa debit card that one uses as a credit card for online purchases.

Kasikorn now allows online payments with the ordinary ATM / debit card.

You just go to an ATM to activate it.

The K-web is actually a virtual credit card where they deduct from your account at the end of month.

I have 20.000 limit on mine.

As for online payments, Kasikorn (and I assume others) has what they call a K-Web card, which is basically a "virtual" Visa debit card that one uses as a credit card for online purchases.

The K-web is actually a virtual credit card where they deduct from your account at the end of month.

Is it an actual credit card? Mine seems to function as a debit card as the entire transaction amount is deducted from my account about a week after posting (not at the end of a billing period) and there is no interest charged (to my knowledge).

Is it an actual credit card? Mine seems to function as a debit card as the entire transaction amount is deducted from my account about a week after posting (not at the end of a billing period) and there is no interest charged (to my knowledge).

Since I have 16.000 on one account and have credit for 20.000 so I would say credit card.

I find no need for an actual Thai credit card.

Whilst these ATM and virtual cards are ok for the majority of online purchases and, in the case of ATM cards, for air travel where a physical card needs to be shown, I have never been able to use one to rent a car.

• Like 1

Mine is an unsecured credit card, not in anyway connected to any other bank account I have.

Please tell more, I really would like to know. Can it be used outside Thailand?

About 4 or 5 years ago I applied for a credit card with Citi Bank (http://www.citibank.co.th/global_docs/citith_home_en.htm) and got a 100,000 baht credit limit no problems. Of course having all the paperwork, employment contract, pay slip, correct work visa is a requirement that any bank is going to make of a foreigner. If you've got these things go to their website and see if the application can still be done online.

Please tell more, I really would like to know. Can it be used outside Thailand?

I have used it in the UK, USA and Australia.

Edited by Spoonman

Since I have 16.000 on one account and have credit for 20.000 so I would say credit card.

Whilst the limit on my virtual card is 100,000, it will only let me spend what is in my account, so I suspect it is nearer a debit card.

That's my understanding...but my limit is always below my balance as well. Maybe sometime test it by lowering my balance below my limit and making a charge above the limit and see if it goes through.