Short Changed Again...

vacationman

Hey TV Members,

Thought I would give you a heads up... that the practice of trying to SHORT CHANGE you is apparently becoming more wide spread or it seems.

I frequently visit two well know stores in town,... think one on every corner... 11/7 and OCSET... yes it's reversed...

In the past I have been short changed... but in the past few weeks it seems like almost a daily occurance.

Sooo just giving you a heads up... COUNT YOUR MONEY.

Actually I didn't loose any money becasue I have learned that if the Cashier doesn't count the money THREE TIMES, and just hands you cash back you better check it.

The Cashier at 11/7 was BOLD... normally they only try to short change 100 baht when I give them a 1,000. Not this lady... she wanted 200 baht.

OCSET - twice this week tried to keep an extra 100.

EVERY case, they didn't count the money THREE times like normal... sooo it was easy for me to catch.

Wondering how much extra money you could make in a day if you did this everytime a customer came in?

Wondering if I'm just on a Bad streak or if it is becoming more wide spread?

Keeping my eyes on the Cashier.

Now I'm braced for all the stories I've been here for 20 years and never short changed, lol...

Soo fire away.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were you buying in a 7/11 that would warrent you proffering a B1,000 Note?

And why does the 3x counting have any relevance!

I thought a bottle of water, paid for with 1000B note, was standard procedure for getting a note of use.

I can't say I'm short changed here often at all, and have noticed no recent change in the pattern, in fact I can't remember the last time I was short changed - I check every time.

• Like 1

Hang in there OP smile.png

You are correct to count your change, starting with the amount of the purchase and adding the coins and notes to equal the amount of the bill tendered. The clerk will usually nod or make some sign of understanding- if they don't, repeat the value it or simply walk out.

Don't expect a friendly reception if you post any critisims of the host nation on this forum. You'll just be told it was your fault, this never happens here, etc etc.

Thanks for the heads up smile.png

I love living in Thailand.

This post was not ment to be a negative about Thailand...

It's simply giving a friendly reminder to always count your change.

If I ever find a place I love more than Thailand I will pack my bags and move tommorrow.

However, I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

For the poster that wanted to know what I was buying... at 11/7

A 12 pack of Rubbers... daily... not that it really matters..

I join in with the others that paying with a 1000 THB is very common. I do it myself all the time at this establishment. What he means about 3X counting is that if they don't do it, then it is unusual. I am assuming they were trained to do it that way. I always watch them do the 3X counting and can see the change that way. I still take a quick glance myself to confirm but am more confident since I saw the change being counted.

Trust a Jock to come up with that statement (whistling.gif ) - I used to pay for the car at 7 and plus electric would come to around 11k before buying anything.

The extra counting is obvious; suggesting honesty and the need to get the change right (for their sake) as they're taught.

You must do a lot of writing... or make a lot of mistakes.

• Like 1

Someone posted a story about being short-changed at a well-known supermarket chain a few months ago, so I have been carefully counting my change when I go there - almost every day and with a variety of cashiers. I have not had any discrepancies at all in all that time I am happy to say.

?? I quite often just go to the 7/11 for the need to change 1000 baht note, buying a can of drink or something just to get the change for something else,

When using an ATM, learn to enter 900bht instead of just pressing the 1000 button.

Then you don't need to get change in the 7/11.

dont fancy going round with 50 or 100 / 100 baht notes in my pocket and anyway where did that come from, have u never needed change before???

When using an ATM, learn to enter 900bht instead of just pressing the 1000 button.

And even if you did that, u still may need change in coins for the laundret or something, think about it dimlow.

I thought a bottle of water, paid for with 1000B note, was standard procedure for getting a note of use.

Agree that this is not directly related to the shortchanging thing, but 'standard procedure' to buy a 7 baht item with 1000 baht to get smaller bills?

Standard procedure is to withdraw something ending in x900 when using an ATM. Or even 900 baht twice. Gives you plenty smaller bills.

I don't think your post was anything to do with being negative about Thailand.

I've been short changed more times in the UK than here.

I was short changed in a 7/11 once, but after I counted my the money in front of the cashier, it was made correct, without eye contact.

However, I think we're all big enough to know that we should count our change thank you. smile.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

Hang in there OP smile.png

You are correct to count your change, starting with the amount of the purchase and adding the coins and notes to equal the amount of the bill tendered. The clerk will usually nod or make some sign of understanding- if they don't, repeat the value it or simply walk out.

Don't expect a friendly reception if you post any critisims of the host nation on this forum. You'll just be told it was your fault, this never happens here, etc etc.

Thanks for the heads up smile.png

I love living in Thailand.

If I ever find a place I love more than Thailand I will pack my bags and move tommorrow.

However, I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

For the poster that wanted to know what I was buying... at 11/7

I once was short changed on the exact same product, a 12 pak of rubbers...... I counted the change in the bag, when I got home and discovered the missing change and was not too bothered..... but i think that was only a red herring..... later that night I found out that they had short rubbered [ thats lubbered for the rocals ] me out one of the rubbers ....... and that really upset me and ruined the whole night.

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

dont fancy going round with 50 or 100 / 100 baht notes in my pocket and anyway where did that come from, have u never needed change before???

Don't need to get change any where if you use a 1,000 Baht note and tell them to keep the change.cheesy.gif

Once a month I go to the bank to transfer the money needed for that month, I generally get a supply of 100 and 20 baht notes so I won't have to go to a 7 11 and buy a 6 baht bottle of soda water for change.giggle.gif

“If the Cashier doesn't count the money THREE TIMES, and just hands you cash back you better check it.”

Good obviation OP, I think that make good sense. Now, I’ve not been short changed, (best of my knowledge) so far in a shop, I do count my change, but I have picked up being short changed at a petrol station on the moat road, twice, so I don’t go there anymore.

Another practice I’ve heard of being done is at petrol stations; when you pull in, be aware of the attendant making you drive further forward of the pump then you really need to be……..If this happens, be on your guard, (you cannot see the pump read-out) two things can now take place; you say “fill up” or “1000B” either the pump clock is started 100, 200, or whatever, (you can’t see the read-out) or it gets stopped short. You pay the attendant for what you’ve asked for….he pockets the difference.

Since I’ve heard of this practice I don’t stop where I can’t see the pump read-out, or I get out and look before they start to pump, and check the end figure.

“If the Cashier doesn't count the money THREE TIMES, and just hands you cash back you better check it.”

Good obviation OP, I think that make good sense. Now, I’ve not been short changed, (best of my knowledge) so far in a shop, I do count my change, but I have picked up being short changed at a petrol station on the moat road, twice, so I don’t go there anymore.

Another practice I’ve heard of being done is at petrol stations; when you pull in, be aware of the attendant making you drive further forward of the pump then you really need to be……..If this happens, be on your guard, (you cannot see the pump read-out) two things can now take place; you say “fill up” or “1000B” either the pump clock is started 100, 200, or whatever, (you can’t see the read-out) or it gets stopped short. You pay the attendant for what you’ve asked for….he pockets the difference.

Since I’ve heard of this practice I don’t stop where I can’t see the pump read-out, or I get out and look before they start to pump, and check the end figure.

Nice little trick.

Thanks for the heads up.

It has happend to me a few to many times, Once at Makro I had walked and and noticed, then reentered to question it. The lady pulled the missing 100 Bt quickly with out even asking about it. So my thoughts were she knew it.

Several stores train their tellers to count 3 times and well in view of the Cameras. If they don't they loose their jobs I've been told.

Ever look to see how many people really stop to check their change. Not most I have noted

Never been short changed myself and genuinely believe when it happens its an honest mistake.

But once I was behind some Thai tourists (bang cocky ones) who were querying the till receipt as it had racked up a couple of extra yoghurts to what they bought.

So embarrassed was the girl, she wanted to serve the following customers and get them out of the way before she dealt with the complaint.

But being a gentleman I was very happy to wait, I didnt want the same mistake to happen again with my loaves of bread.

Yes, this is something that has happened with me more than once.

Often the petrol scammer's will rush you with pump in hand ready to go.....don't be rushed it only takes a few seconds to beat them.

I always get out and open the petrol cap myself and never let them rush me.

Before I say how much I want, I look at the clock, with a "hmm' and "er' enough time to make sure it's not running.

Then watch the guy start from scratch.

Edit: I mean this is something that has been tried on me unsuccessfully more than once.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I was short-changed a few weeks back at a well-known pasta restuarant in soi 5 Nimmanheiman. Been many times over the years. Great food. Just my wife and I, simple meal with a carafe of wine. Charged for two carafes.

Mistake? Possible, but unlikely. Have emailed the manager twice to bring this politely to his attention - no reply. Which is why I now write this note.

Very sad.

I was short-changed a few weeks back at a well-known pasta restuarant in soi 5 Nimmanheiman. Been many times over the years. Great food. Just my wife and I, simple meal with a carafe of wine. Charged for two carafes.

Mistake? Possible, but unlikely. Have emailed the manager twice to bring this politely to his attention - no reply. Which is why I now write this note.

Very sad.

With a Thai they could never get away with it.

Thai's scrutinize every single item on the bill (quite rightly).