Thai Workers 'Unable To Pay Bills' Despite Pay Rise

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More than 60 per cent of workers polled recently believed the government’s 300 baht minimum wage policy would make their life better, Bangkok Poll at Bangkok University reported on Friday.

The pollster conducted a survey on “the life of labourers after getting paid a 300 baht daily minimum wage” from April 23 to 26, seeking opinions from 1,180 workers in Bangkok and nearby provinces.

Bangkok Poll reported that 60.7 per cent of the polled workers said their living standards had improved, 36.5 per cent of them believed there was no impovement and 2.8 per cent said it was worsening.

Asked whether their working life changed or would change after the higher wage was implemented, 82.4 per cent said no change, 15.4 per cent said they had to work harder and 1.3 per cent said they worked less than before.

Half, 49.9 per cent of the respondents, did not believe the wage increase would cause problems for manufacturers or force them to close down, 26.9 per cent of them believed employers’ profits would drop, 23.0 per cent said businessed would extra gain more profits, 1.4 per cent said their employer could face a loss and 0.8 per cent said the factory could close down.

Questioned whether the wage rise would help ease the problem of social inequality, 54.9 per cent of the labourers said yes but 45.1 per cent of them disagreed.

A total of 93.2 per cent of the respondents backed the 300 baht daily minimum wage hike nationwide but 6.8 per cent of them opposed.

The polled workers wanted the government to oversee and improve welfare of labouers, ensure that the employers would abide by the law and improve their quality of life.

They have no concept of saving and budgets, yet so many have

IPhones and Bloackberry's. Priorities are so out of whack, they

eat and be happy today and they do not think or worry about

tomorrow

True, but from anthropological point of view very understandable. In the past and thanks to the tropical climate, food supply has always been abundant. Everything grows here and grows fast. In the feudal Thai society of not so long ago there was more food than people could eat! So why worry about money?In present day Thailand the abundant multi-crop system has transformed in a mono crop system aimed at exports! This transformation and the grow of the economy because of cheap labour (who needs money anyway?) has lead to wealth and luxury for the happy few and debt for those blinded by the capitalistic lifestyles of those happy few. Most indebted farmers in the North have lost their lands to rich proxy Thais, and now even in the villages people are eating Mama noodles rather than fresh local produce! Makes you wonder whether development is really benefiting a society! I will never forget that a former Prime Minister (I believe he lives in a desert state now) advised the people of his country to borrow even more money, get credit cards and spend it in order to stimulate the Thai economy.

• Like 2

I have no problem paying the the 300, what i need to know is who has to pay it. I have been paying 300B for casual labor since the issue first came up, I live in a farm village in Chiang Mai province, but know one else is paying it. Just curious. I will hire someone to drive me to town twice a month, I will also buy them lunch and refreshment during the journey. My wife has a fruit farm and hires mostly her relatives to assist wit irrigation, I don't get involve in this, but somewhere along the line I get to pay.

Edited by massein

I really don't have an opinion as to what an adequate wage is for the Thai workers, but I don't quite understand how anyone could think that if you force companies to raise employees wages that you are automatically "injecting" those raises into the economy. Wouldn't it be more likely that the companies will adjust the prices of their products to compensate for having to pay higher wages? And if this happens, isn't this going to just raise the cost of living for the very same people who receive the wage increases?

The only way I can see a variant here is if the only companies that had to raise the amounts they paid in wages were export only companies.

The (relatively small) proportion of people actually affected by the minimum wage increase are spending their money on a very very limited range of good relative to the total output of the Thai economy. You'll see a small amount of upward pressure as a result of their spending.

The inflationary impact is on the manufacturers, hotels etc passing on the increased costs, but their customers are for the most part not minimum-wage.

I agree that many Thais live for the day but if you have been regularly shopping in supermarkets over the past few years you should notice how much basic commodities have increased. Rice has virtually doubled in price & many of the other large increases are far & away above the inflation rate.

Yes very very true, easy for everyone here to B&M about the lazy Thais but life sure hasn't easy over the past few years for those who spend most of their money on survival necessities.

Why is it whenever there is a discussion happens unrelated to Taksin, some poster has to throw in some comment about Taksin?

What's happening is basic economics 101 and has nothing to do with Taksin. The only thing it does is up his posting count.

Lame.

No, they have their reasons believe me, doing their part for the constant spin machine both camps are operating.

If you want to do something to get the people more wealthy than offer free education. Quality education. That will also push the lowest salaries in the long term.

Obviously this measure's intention was to gain votes, TPTB have no interest (on either side) in actually helping the poor. The last thing the elite would want is competition from any clever and ambitious people coming up from the lower classes.

On the first day of every month my wife hands me her wage packet. I put the money into my wallet and then transfer the equivalent amount from one of my bank accounts into hers.

Although a devout Buddhist she now accepts that Buddha will not provide and that she is solely responsible for her financial situation. It is rewarding to know that she is spreading that gospel to her family members.

When we instituted the measures to bring her spending under control there were a few long faces initially but now she becomes almost orgasmic when sighting her bank credit balance. One of the tenets of my life has been that it doesn't matter how much money that you have, it is what you do with it that matters. The majority of Thai people need to learn this lesson.

Yes, I know it's not PC to state it so directly, but sometimes the most appropriate way to handle your SO, even if she's reached physical adulthood long ago, is to treat her like a child. My farang kids were more emotionally mature and practically responsible at 13-14 than most of the graduate-level uni students I teach here.

• Like 1

When Mr. Thaksin comes back all their troubles will be over. He will make them rich, just like he and his philanthropic family.

No worries, life will be good. Trust him.

Why is it whenever there is a discussion happens unrelated to Taksin, some poster has to throw in some comment about Taksin?

What's happening is basic economics 101 and has nothing to do with Taksin.

The 300 baht minimum wage was Thaksin's election promise, so he is indeed relevant.

Thaksin also promised credit cards for farmers and taxi drivers: Thaksin Offers Easy Credit, Credit Cards For Taxi Drivers. I wonder how that's going to help Thai people reduce their debt.

I have no problem paying the the 300, what i need to know is who has to pay it. I have been paying 300B for casual labor since the issue first came up, I live in a farm village in Chiang Mai province, but know one else is paying it. Just curious. I will hire someone to drive me to town twice a month, I will also buy them lunch and refreshment during the journey. My wife has a fruit farm and hires mostly her relatives to assist wit irrigation, I don't get involve in this, but somewhere along the line I get to pay.

I'm sure you're aware there isn't any need for you to pay that much from a practical POV, but it's nice that you do, you're getting some value back for the money, and it's most likely being used to put food into mouths, more so at least than most farang-sponsored transactions here. . .

I agree that many Thais live for the day but if you have been regularly shopping in supermarkets over the past few years you should notice how much basic commodities have increased. Rice has virtually doubled in price & many of the other large increases are far & away above the inflation rate.

You could always shop at the local markets as we do where it is a bit cheaper as well.

I do realise how mch the prices have gone up and to be PC I think it wold have gone up under a Democrat government too though maybe not uite so much.

Thoug PM Yingluck Shinawatra has expressed concern over the high cost of living, the government has not come up with any concrete plans.

most governments couldn't organize a train wreck, this one is worse than most. I don't want to make light of the peoples plight, what choice does the average citizen of any country have, elections are popularity contests for politicians who have no intention of keeping any of their promises. The declining voter turnout in almost every country is an indication of dissatisfaction. Honestly, does anyone think there is a single politician anywhere that is smart enough to straighten out this mess?

I'm sure you're aware there isn't any need for you to pay that much from a practical POV, but it's nice that you do, you're getting some value back for the money, and it's most likely being used to put food into mouths, more so at least than most farang-sponsored transactions here. . .

You are correct, My wife agrees to pay 250B but i tell her to pay 300B driving to and from CM 140k each way and driving around CM is no picnic. I could drive myself and have a Thai Driving Permit but it not worth the aggravation to drive my self

You are correct, My wife agrees to pay 250B but i tell her to pay 300B driving to and from CM 140k each way and driving around CM is no picnic. I could drive myself and have a Thai Driving Permit but it not worth the aggravation to drive my self

My point is, who is required to pay, regardless of location. i realize the major companies in the south are.

Thai Workers 'Unable To Pay Bills' Despite Pay Rise

You don't say. Now isn't that a surprise. I wonder how much they had to spend on that survey.

And to the poster who says that most of the workers don't pay for their own accommodation, you are spouting tosh. Even those who are housed by the factories with which they work have accommodation charges deducted from their pay. Meals too, if the factory is feeding them. As the cost of living goes up so do the deductions the factories make.

• Like 1

When Mr. Thaksin comes back all their troubles will be over. He will make them rich, just like he and his philanthropic family.

No worries, life will be good. Trust him.

What's happening is basic economics 101 and has nothing to do with Taksin. The only thing it does is up his posting count.

Lame.

It wasn't "Ratcatcher" that made this statement originally ,it was Thaksin himself!

Edited by MAJIC

On the first day of every month my wife hands me her wage packet. I put the money into my wallet and then transfer the equivalent amount from one of my bank accounts into hers. Every ten working days I give her 1000 baht cash. Her days off are not taken into account as then she is out and about with me and I make with the readies - for everything. She also has another source of spending money by way of her share of the staff tips box which varies from 60 to 150 baht per day. When we set up her bank account we stipulated that we did not require an ATM card so that she would have to invade my 'holy of holies', my desk, to get hold of her passbook, and she is fully aware of the dire consequences of that.

Initially I handed over 100 baht per day but we are now progressing towards her being and acting responsibly with money. Although a devout Buddhist she now accepts that Buddha will not provide and that she is solely responsible for her financial situation. It is rewarding to know that she is spreading that gospel to her family members. They have known from the outset that I will assist them in obtaining the things that they need, and never what they want, or think they want.

When we instituted the measures to bring her spending under control there were a few long faces initially but now she becomes almost orgasmic when sighting her bank credit balance. One of the tenets of my life has been that it doesn't matter how much money that you have, it is what you do with it that matters. The majority of Thai people need to learn this lesson.

This made me laugh, she gives you her salary in cash and then you transfer the equivelant to a bank in her name that does not have any way of withdrawls, you also give her 1,000 Baht bonus every ten days, then you say she is responsible for her own financial situation...thats funny man!!!

• Like 2

Perhaps it is not right to judge, but the one that blows me away is I see Thais take motorbikes daily to go very walkable distances.

Rather like the continual carping by tourists here on Phuket being 'asked 500 baht for a 100 meter ride'. Well, WALK then.

On a side note, the article states the Thais not being able to pay their bills despite the 300 baht daily wage increase. have I missed something? I read just a day or so ago that prices were rising rapidly due to the as yet unimplemented wage hike, suggesting price gouging. So, are they receiving the 300 baht or not?

Meand post # 41

Perhaps it is not right to judge, but the one that blows me away is I see Thais take motorbikes daily to go very walkable distances.

Money spent on getting to work is indeed a necessity here.

When I came here to live some 21 years back I thought the same as you do now, however after a stroll of around half a kilometer up to to 1 kilometer to work I soon found that either a M/C taxi or a bus was indeed much more pleasurable.

One didn't arrive to work looking like one had been swimming and not changed your clothes prior to starting work whilst wafting a gentle effluvia of B.O. around the place.

In England a brisk stroll of a kilometer or so posed no problems, here after a stroll to work one does tend to arrive at the office in a somewhat disheveled and smelly manner looking much like Worzel Gummidge on one of his better days.

Ask tourism, ask Thai Airways, ask at all the resort hotels, ask the locals, no one is getting anything, only the elite, foreigners here are having to tighten their belts, No decline here ???? It's what you would simply call--GOING DOWN HILL

Yes,and I am afraid it´s only beginning.

"Miracle Thailand"

• Like 1

I really don't have an opinion as to what an adequate wage is for the Thai workers, but I don't quite understand how anyone could think that if you force companies to raise employees wages that you are automatically "injecting" those raises into the economy. Wouldn't it be more likely that the companies will adjust the prices of their products to compensate for having to pay higher wages? And if this happens, isn't this going to just raise the cost of living for the very same people who receive the wage increases?

The only way I can see a variant here is if the only companies that had to raise the amounts they paid in wages were export only companies.

The (relatively small) proportion of people actually affected by the minimum wage increase are spending their money on a very very limited range of good relative to the total output of the Thai economy. You'll see a small amount of upward pressure as a result of their spending.

The inflationary impact is on the manufacturers, hotels etc passing on the increased costs, but their customers are for the most part not minimum-wage.

Yes very very true, easy for everyone here to B&M about the lazy Thais but life sure hasn't easy over the past few years for those who spend most of their money on survival necessities.

liquor, drugs, playing numbers, and giving rice that they can use to feed their kids to the monks everyday is NOT survival necessities.

• Like 1

Skywalker69....as said, going down hill sure---BUT ask H90  #30  this poster is giving a rosy picture, and things are on the up, like hydraulic seals, and speaks of after the floods things are on the UP.  but to say to him OF COURSE they are on the up after a shut down, and sure production looks o.k. because the factories are open, and people are working. The whole picture H90 please. tourism is a small part is it, overall it is a massive part, not the percent shown but the fantastic spin offs the Thais get from tourism that are never shown.   Going back to the workers not being able to pay their bills,  the hundreds of thousands who used to get monies directly OR indirectly are now not receiving any because of westerners not coming back, or moving out of Thailand, and if tourism is only a minute part-then why are TAT--AOT--Thai Airways--Hotels and resorts and the spin off industries shouting like hell for help.???

liquor, drugs, playing numbers, and giving rice that they can use to feed their kids to the monks everyday is NOT survival necessities.

For the Thai´s it is.cool.png

Skywalker69....as said, going down hill sure---BUT ask H90 #30 this poster is giving a rosy picture, and things are on the up, like hydraulic seals, and speaks of after the floods things are on the UP. but to say to him OF COURSE they are on the up after a shut down, and sure production looks o.k. because the factories are open, and people are working. The whole picture H90 please. tourism is a small part is it, overall it is a massive part, not the percent shown but the fantastic spin offs the Thais get from tourism that are never shown. Going back to the workers not being able to pay their bills, the hundreds of thousands who used to get monies directly OR indirectly are now not receiving any because of westerners not coming back, or moving out of Thailand, and if tourism is only a minute part-then why are TAT--AOT--Thai Airways--Hotels and resorts and the spin off industries shouting like hell for help.???

At least 2 people making good businessbiggrin.png . But what about the rest?sad.png

1.There is a drought going on, if it get worse what will happen with food prices?

2.The risk the political turmoil escalate.

3. Many tourist ´s coming in are from China and Russia, and they don´t like to spend to much money.

I have many friends that earlier loved to come to Thailand, but now goes elsewhere.

A customer of mine goes to Turkey on Monday for one week all inclusive for 3900 SEK about 16 000 THB. of topic ,sorry.

You are the first poster on TV who really doesn't have an opinion - but, if your living here don't you think you should learn something about your adopted Country - things like how much people need to earn to live?

On the first day of every month my wife hands me her wage packet. I put the money into my wallet and then transfer the equivalent amount from one of my bank accounts into hers. Every ten working days I give her 1000 baht cash. Her days off are not taken into account as then she is out and about with me and I make with the readies - for everything. She also has another source of spending money by way of her share of the staff tips box which varies from 60 to 150 baht per day. When we set up her bank account we stipulated that we did not require an ATM card so that she would have to invade my 'holy of holies', my desk, to get hold of her passbook, and she is fully aware of the dire consequences of that.

Initially I handed over 100 baht per day but we are now progressing towards her being and acting responsibly with money. Although a devout Buddhist she now accepts that Buddha will not provide and that she is solely responsible for her financial situation. It is rewarding to know that she is spreading that gospel to her family members. They have known from the outset that I will assist them in obtaining the things that they need, and never what they want, or think they want.

Good to see that some farang are not paying the pimp husband his monthly salary for his beer money and karaoke girls. You have set a good example for other farang. Good on you. If more farang act like you farang will start to get respect and they will no longer call us bufallos. It is some relief to hear this story after hearing so many farang paying 10K to 100K baht to pimp husbands indirectly through their wives of course. Edited by heiwa

Good to see that some farang are not paying the pimp husband his monthly salary for his beer money and karaoke girls. You have set a good example for other farang. Good on you. If more farang act like you farang will start to get respect and they will no longer call us bufallos. It is some relief to hear this story after hearing so many farang paying 10K to 100K baht to pimp husbands indirectly through their wives of course.

What a pair you are.

Must be delightful company..........

Love that opening sentence, I take my wifes money and put it in my wallet.

Bet she loves yah...................

• Like 1

It's not just Thailand that has the problem of workers not making their cost of living. I can't speak for other countries, but back in the UK there are a huge amount of people living on wages of 12.5K per annum; after tax they take home just over 800gbp a month for working about 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Now rent for a bedsit in London (a real one not a pretend one the 'agents' advertise to coax you in and get you to pay a deposit for a flat you will never see again) is about 750gbp upwards per month.

The cost of buying low quality cheap food or food on the 'throw out' list for a week you would be doing really good to get away with paying around 20gbp a week.

If you don't walk to work but take only one bus to and from your place of work this will cost you 13.50gbp per week (if you are lucky enough to get just one bus that goes all the way and doesn't kick you off half-way and make you take another one).

A lot of employers in the UK also don't follow the EU rules before I am reminded of what a worker 'should' be entitled to.

So just to go to work and stay alive the incomings are about 800gbp, the outgoings on an extremely frugal life are about 880gbp. I work that out as not earning enough wages to pay your bills. I believe that this could be the case in many other countries as well. It seems that in 'developed' countries you must place the carrot within nibbling distance of the donkey to encourage harder work, but this is only a guess.

-Edit- Sorry I left out the gas, electricity, water and council tax charges as well, as if you are REALLY lucky you may be able to find accomodation which has this included, although I only ever knew one person who lived like that.

Edited by chenposeb
  • Like 1

This comes as no surprise

IMO Thai people have for a long time lived beyond their means.

For so many Thais as soon as they get their monthly salary at

the beginning of the month they rush of to go shopping or they

go out for meals. Then when the last 7 - 10 days of they either

have no money left for food / water and they spend the last few

days of the month eating mama noodles.

They have no concept of saving and budgets, yet so many have

IPhones and Bloackberry's. Priorities are so out of whack, they

eat and be happy today and they do not think or worry about

tomorrow

That applies to the west as well. No difference whatsoever.

People are the same all over.

Live today and pay tomorrow mentality.

"You might die overnight" is the philosophy, "so spend today". However, based on almost six decades of experience, I have not died overnight and am very relieved to find that on getting out of bed in the morning my bank balance is still positive.

Edited by 12DrinkMore