Ethiad, Bid For An Upgrade

briley

Just got an e-mail from Ethiad offering me the chance to bid for an upgrade.

Since my original ticket cost around £500 and they want a minimum bid of £750 to upgrade - and then said at that figure I was highly unlikely to get an upgrade I olitely told them where to get off.

Does anyone actually take up the airlines on this sort of offer?

At the same time, has anyone plugged a pen drive into the socket on the back of the Ethiad seats? Can it play any type of video/music or is it more complex than that?

Not had that, but they did sting me for £88 on overweight luggage. I packed the usual 30kg that Emirates allow me only to be told it was 23kg with Etihad. They only charged me for 4kg but at £22.00 per kg.

After complaining about this I did get an upgrade to Emergency exit seats which would have cost me over £100.00.

If you want to get the 30kg allowance, join thier miles club.

Not had that, but they did sting me for £88 on overweight luggage. I packed the usual 30kg that Emirates allow me only to be told it was 23kg with Etihad. They only charged me for 4kg but at £22.00 per kg.

After complaining about this I did get an upgrade to Emergency exit seats which would have cost me over £100.00.

I'm a Gold member with Emirates, I have been offered upgrade's from Glasgow to Dubai and vice versa a few times for around £275.00. I've taken them up on the offer a couple of times.

When you hit Gold the baggage allowance is 46kg plus 10kg carry on. I think that is amazing, I have only once have a used it though, transporting loads of goods and presents to my pals in CM.

If you book your internal flight with Thai Airways ( they codeshare with Emirates ) you will then get that heavy load put through at no extra cost.

The trick is to book your Emirates flight and Thai Airways flight separately, check your bag all the way through when you get to your home airport, then get Emirates to issue the boarding pass for Thai Airways when you get to Dubai.

That way you miss the immigration hall at Swampy, (that can be hell) , and breeze through domestic transfer.

As for the Business Class, it's well worth it if you get get an upgrade all the way through for £300 or so, the difference is immense. I was dying off last Sunday after a heavy weekend of debauchery and I upgraded at the airport. I got to Dubai using miles and Glasgow for £275.00 extra, picked up by limo and taken home. I was needing that, I was seriously dying off and that stretch out bed in biz class was a life saver.

On top of that I love the shower facilities in the Emirates lounges, it's worth paying the extra for the flexi fare and getting up to at least silver status with Emirates. I highly recommend.

I am a bit confused about the implication you're making here... what I don't get is where was the 'sting'?

You flew with a different airline with a diffrent product/service/conditions. You chose Etihad for your own reasons so I am not sure why they are responsible for you assuming you had another 8kg of luggage allowance.

I am probably being a bit anal about this but you are sort of implying that Etihad were being disingenuous and deliberately hit you for extra money when actually it was your fault for not checking the the T&C's.

You raise a couple of issues on which I have queries

1) I am a member of their miles club. Would they give me the additional weight allowance if I choose to allocate the miles earned on the flight not my etihad membership but to one of their partner airlines?

2) I've never been offered a chance to buy an emergency exit seat - by any airline. Are you sure of this?

Edited by triffid

I'm a Gold member with Emirates, I have been offered upgrade's from Glasgow to Dubai and vice versa a few times for around £275.00. I've taken them up on the offer a couple of times.

When you hit Gold the baggage allowance is 46kg plus 10kg carry on. I think that is amazing, I have only once have a used it though, transporting loads of goods and presents to my pals in CM.

If you book your internal flight with Thai Airways ( they codeshare with Emirates ) you will then get that heavy load put through at no extra cost.

The trick is to book your Emirates flight and Thai Airways flight separately, check your bag all the way through when you get to your home airport, then get Emirates to issue the boarding pass for Thai Airways when you get to Dubai.

That way you miss the immigration hall at Swampy, (that can be hell) , and breeze through domestic transfer.

As for the Business Class, it's well worth it if you get get an upgrade all the way through for £300 or so, the difference is immense. I was dying off last Sunday after a heavy weekend of debauchery and I upgraded at the airport. I got to Dubai using miles and Glasgow for £275.00 extra, picked up by limo and taken home. I was needing that, I was seriously dying off and that stretch out bed in biz class was a life saver.

On top of that I love the shower facilities in the Emirates lounges, it's worth paying the extra for the flexi fare and getting up to at least silver status with Emirates. I highly recommend.

I'm disgusted that you didn't spend the flight at the bar on the A380. In biz class as well.

Personally i fly first with Emirates....the Dom Perignon is much nicer as is the superb 1st lounge in Dubai. Oh and you can have a shower on the plane.

Mind you for money's worth I like Qatar biz class....although they have raised their prices this year. I will wait and see what develops before booking now...

After I had been flying a long haul flight, Business class with Etihad, I noticed my next flight (scheduled by my employer) was also with Etihad.

I decided to apply for a frequent flyer membership.

Not a problem.

I then proceeded to try to retro-claim my miles from my first flight. Something which has proven to be very easy with other air lines.

Not so easy with Etihad.

They ignored my request, so I tried to send an e-mail.

They ignored my e-mail, so I tried to another address within the Ethiad organization.

Again it was ignored.

After numerous of e-mails to all the different addresses I could find, one day (after several weeks) I got a reply that the date for claiming these miles now had expired!

They basically had just been stalling the correspondence enough, until it expired.

I decided to cancel my membership, which prompted an immediate response from Etihad.

They asked why I cancelled it.

I explained it was due to the bad customer treatment I got, and explained the situation.

Needless to say, but I got no response on that e-mail.

Conclusion is that Etihad can claim to be service minded until Kingdom come, but the reality is very different.

Or it depends upon who happens to read the e-mails that day?

No more Etihad.

• 2 weeks later...

Emirates allowance is 30kgs and Ethiad's is 23kgs!

This may help, lists allowances for most airlines. http://www.netflights.com/baggage-allowances.aspx

Emirates offer me same Brisbane to Singapore I think around A$250

In reply to mention you cannot buy exit seats ,this is not my experience and Air Aia andAir berlin actually advertise such where other comanies do so informally eg Etihad at Riyadh etc