When You Think That You Have Seen The Most Idiotic Driving

loong

many years ago in Iran somebody got fed up with cars using their horns all the time (I was told that with some cars the horn came on when you started the engine). A law was passed, things went on as before. Police set up roadblocks. Confiscated offenders' cars. Stripped them to their underpants. Painted their shaved heads red. Gave them the bastinado. Three days later after seeing these guys limping home half naked and red headed, people had stopped doing this. True story I assure you.

I think that the police would be ready to do their job properly, the political incentive to do so isn't there, and anyway, anywhere in the world it is the easily proved misdemeanours (going through a red light, being over the limit, no helmet, being drunk) that are most readily punished.

Use to be a big problem in New York City. Huge fines and zero tolerance has almost stopped it. Really nice not to have to listen to all the horns.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always amazes me that while Thai culture preaches 'jai yen yen,' and Buddhist culture kindness to others, they can display the exact opposite when behind the wheel of a car. The impatience and aggressiveness they drive with is something to behold.

I also especially like the way they show compassion by moving out of the way so emergency vehicles can move swiftly through......sad.png

I say the same thing. In the land of jai yen yen, once behind the wheel all drivers become jai ron and don't even know it, nor even think about it. They do what's best for them without thinking about anyone else.

They say that you really get to see the true personality traits of a populace when you look at their driving culture.

In the Thai's case that would be:

Dangerously Stupid.

Ignorant.

Petty.

Petulant.

Selfish.

Sociopathical.

Angry.

What I don't see is the traits they use to descibe 'Thainess'.

Odd that. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

motorbike lane

Isn't that more formally know in the west as a 'footpath'?

I couldn't figure this one either. Assume loong is referring to a hard shoulder, which theoretically should be free of all traffic, including motorbikes, although i can understand why motorbike riders seek life-preserving refuge there.

I'm quite sure that the narrower lane on the left is intended for motorcyclists, bicycles and pedestrians. In some places you will even see the outline of a motorbike painted on the road.

Final proof that this is indeed a motorbike lane is that the BiB will fine you if you drive your bike on the main carriageway......hang on, that proves nothing :D

Like others, I always ride my scooter assuming that everyone else on the road is paying no attention at all - as all to frequently they are not...

In my experience though, some tourists (take too many chances, presumably reasoning that they are on holiday and nothing bad can happen), and old ex-pat Westerners are equally as bad.

• Like 1

Quite how such polite and generally demure people become such i-am-the-centre-of-the-universe a-holes behind the wheel, i never have been able to figure. It's quite disturbingly Jekyll and Hyde.

Thai culture and education system emphasizes respect of society hierarchical system in every field: teacher, (uniformed) officials, elderly, religious, the boss, the customer...

But genuine politeness or respect (not merely fear of influence or power) ranks very poorly in comparison.

The road is where the individual crosses the path of the unknown and it reveals his true mentality. He then feels free to act without this obligation to please, smile, give way. For poorly educated people (whatever the social rank), it even turns into an opportunity to finally take the upper hand and affirm themselves to the others. That translates into these moronic driving behaviors that put your life at risk by entire lack of respect for other users.

It goes much further than skills. It's basically a mentality problem. It's not a general rule but not sure it's a minority, frankly.

Interesting post that is hard to disagree with.

And you are right about it going much further than skills. If it was simply about a lack of skills, such as with the example of the nuns, one can accept that whilst it is irresponsible, it is unintentional. Here i find there is often a malicious, i-don't-give-a-shit-about-you, element to it. They could drive better, but without any respect for fellow drivers, without any respect for basic road safety laws, it seems the attitude is, "why should i?".

One Thai bashing post has been removed from view.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Only one. laugh.pnglaugh.png

The OP should ride like this.

The driving here is still much better than many other countries. Just got back from Egypt where they drive like maniacs. During my visit to Vietnam, scooters on the sidewalks actually honk at you to get out of their way!!!!! Unreal....

Having worked as a motorcycle courier in both the UK and Australia, I'd thought I'd seen most of it.

The old Soviet Republic was interesting and Thailand an eye-opener.

But a Visa run to Cambodia recently was the pièce de résistance.

The Tuk-Tuk driver was actually driving down the footpath ... at speed.

Back in moderate Thailand ... you get used to the local 'customs' and nuances and all is well.

Mind you, I never have encountered something the same as the OP loong did.

• Like 1

Like others, I always ride my scooter assuming that everyone else on the road is paying no attention at all - as all to frequently they are not...

In my experience though, some tourists (take too many chances, presumably reasoning that they are on holiday and nothing bad can happen), and old ex-pat Westerners are equally as bad.

F1fanatic, a great attitiude to have. "I always ride my scooter assuming that everyone else on the road is paying no attention at all - as all to frequently they are not..."

My motorcycle instructor taught me that 'son, you can be legally right AND legally dead'

So, on a bike, I never try and push my luck, give way to things bigger then I am and avoid most ex-pats in Pattaya on the rare occassion that I have to ride/drive down there.

motorbike lane

Isn't that more formally know in the west as a 'footpath'?

I couldn't figure this one either. Assume loong is referring to a hard shoulder, which theoretically should be free of all traffic, including motorbikes, although i can understand why motorbike riders seek life-preserving refuge there.

and the system here supports it! ie, I like the white on blue traffic sign which indicates bikes and scooters should in fact be ridden on the hard shoulder. You've probably seen the sign, as I said, white on blue, has a thick white line vertically down the right hand side with a bike and scooter on the left....

It always amazes me to see what risks some drivers take to overtake a single car on the motorway, to tailgate to within 30 cm (at 100 km/h), sway 2 or 3 lanes left and accelerate full power, then back to the right, pedal to the metal ... only to get in line at the toll booth, when I overtake them again leisurely through Easy-Pass.

• Like 1

Just the other night, I was coming back to my apto with the gf on the back of the motorcycle, a small CBR150... All good, no problems... Then I entered the yeak of my condo, which is in real bad condition (repairs are ALMOST starting there). I passed by the 7-11, and kept my way, following a motocy driver, around 10m behind him... Then the yeak gets darker, and there's a 20m stretch of road which is only rocks. There was a guy walking on the same direction I was driving, near the edge of the street on the left side... All of a sudden, the motocy driver stops in front of me sideways, I manage to see that and get out, just at the same time the pedestrian steps into the road to catch the motocy...

Now, keep in mind I was slow, 20km/h maybe, but I weigh 100kg, plus 55kg of the gf, and 135kg of the bike... I couldn't even try to break, or even turn, because of the road conditions... And the 2 guys just there, standing on front of me. I reduced gears, the back wheel started to move from side to side (how do you call that in English?), and I was lucky I could pass in the 80cm between the two idiots (thai, farang, doesn't matter, they were idiots) without hitting either.

Driving in Thailand is really an amazing experience, always fun... As long as you don't care much about your own life.

:)

You lot really need to buy yourselves a GoPro small video camera, you an fit it onto your bike and run it. It would lighten up these posts no end if we could see the stupidity (? and the carnage??)

When reversing into my house i'm amazed how often some idiot, usually on a bike, will try to beat me (accellerate between car & gate when i'm clearly moving backwards & may not have seen them).

Utter stupidity & almost a daily occurrance.

Edited by evadgib

You lot really need to buy yourselves a GoPro small video camera, you an fit it onto your bike and run it. It would lighten up these posts no end if we could see the stupidity (? and the carnage??)

Unfortunatly the one in my car only records activity to the front (see previous post)!

Edited by evadgib

The driving here is still much better than many other countries. Just got back from Egypt where they drive like maniacs. During my visit to Vietnam, scooters on the sidewalks actually honk at you to get out of their way!!!!! Unreal....

I'd rather they honk at you to tell you they are coming through, than here where they just appear out of nowhere behind you.

Crazy driving in Vietnam - fully agreed.

But they can drive. Thais cannot. That's why i feel saver there.

I'd rather they honk at you to tell you they are coming through, than here where they just appear out of nowhere behind you.

My point earlier exactly. Apparently though, some people on here are more concerned about noise pollution than personal preservation. My vote goes to the honk.

Quite how such polite and generally demure people become such i-am-the-centre-of-the-universe a-holes behind the wheel, i never have been able to figure. It's quite disturbingly Jekyll and Hyde.

Thai culture and education system emphasizes respect of society hierarchical system in every field: teacher, (uniformed) officials, elderly, religious, the boss, the customer...

But genuine politeness or respect (not merely fear of influence or power) ranks very poorly in comparison.

The road is where the individual crosses the path of the unknown and it reveals his true mentality. He then feels free to act without this obligation to please, smile, give way. For poorly educated people (whatever the social rank), it even turns into an opportunity to finally take the upper hand and affirm themselves to the others. That translates into these moronic driving behaviors that put your life at risk by entire lack of respect for other users.

It goes much further than skills. It's basically a mentality problem. It's not a general rule but not sure it's a minority, frankly.

And you are right about it going much further than skills. If it was simply about a lack of skills, such as with the example of the nuns, one can accept that whilst it is irresponsible, it is unintentional. Here i find there is often a malicious, i-don't-give-a-shit-about-you, element to it. They could drive better, but without any respect for fellow drivers, without any respect for basic road safety laws, it seems the attitude is, "why should i?".

I still think you are flattering the Thais with an ability to make a conscious judgement. There may be regional variations and I would exclude Bangkok and Pattaya from this assessment.

In my experience I see evidence a lack of driving skill. Couple this with a lack of spacial awareness and you have a recipe for accidents.

• Like 1

I still think you are flattering the Thais with an ability to make a conscious judgement. There may be regional variations and I would exclude Bangkok and Pattaya from this assessment.

In my experience I see evidence a lack of driving skill. Couple this with a lack of spacial awareness and you have a recipe for accidents.

You forgot to add an attention span measured in nano seconds to the mix.

I have decided that the next time i encounter a pick up coming towards me in 'my' motorbike lane, that i will just stop and make him go around me, i am pissed off encountering these idiots forcing 'me' out into the traffic. w00t.gif

• Like 1

My point earlier exactly. Apparently though, some people on here are more concerned about noise pollution than personal preservation. My vote goes to the honk.

Agreed...until you've listened to honking all day...for days in a row. And they'll still hit you anyway. Amazed at how many accidents I saw during my month in Vietnam and my 6 months in China. Saw 2 fatal accidents in Beijing in under a week. One was a traffic cop out directing traffic!

I have decided that the next time i encounter a pick up coming towards me in 'my' motorbike lane, that i will just stop and make him go around me, i am pissed off encountering these idiots forcing 'me' out into the traffic. w00t.gif

Let me know how that went, i drive a bike too i wonder how they will respond

Then this may well be your last post.

They'll drive right over the top of you. Your dead!

Yeah..I know you are 100% in the right, but you know you're gonna lose.......................and only your family will care as they walk home with your ashes in an urn.

Kata/Karon yesterday, a young farang lady guessing mid twenties clearly had never ridden a motobike before.Her steering was all over the place and for some reason she spent more time looking over both her shoulders.

It was quite comical to be honest.

You forgot to add an attention span measured in nano seconds to the mix.

I fully accept that my observation was not the complete list.

Had I posted the full list of Thai driving inabilities the post would have been deleted on the grounds of being derogatory against Thais !