When You Think That You Have Seen The Most Idiotic Driving

loong

I live north of Khon Kaen and had to go into the city today. When I am going alone and it's not raining, I always prefer to use the motorbike, so that's what I used today.

When riding the motorbike, I always try to think about what the most stupid thing that other road users would do and anticipate it.

The main road into Khon Kaen was very busy today and I was riding along a section with the motorbike lane on the left and 2 main carriageway lanes. I could see that there were 2 pick ups driving in the motorbike lane in the wrong direction ahead. Nothing unusual about this and I moved over into the main carriageway well in advance as there were a lot of vehicles in the 2 main lanes.

Unbelievably and unexpected as i really couldn't anticipate anybody being so stupid, the 2nd pick up that was travelling in the wrong direction pulled out to overtake into the 1st main carriageway.

I had limited choices, either hit this idiot head on or pull right into a lane that was chock full of cars. Lucky for me the driver on my right was on the ball and braked and moved over a bit and so I had a space to move over into ever so slightly wider than my motorbike.

You wouldn't believe the screeching of tyres as the following drivers managed to avoid hitting this moron.

When I told my Missus about this, she just said "Buddha take care of you" Maybe she is right, but probably just luck that i didn't die or get seriously injured today.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cement truck with full load,

passing a pickup truck of iced fish,

passing a motorcycle sidecar restaurant,

Outside lane on a completely blind corner

at the nadir of two hills going both dirctions

And no shoulder but sand and Jersey Barriers on my side,

as I entered decending on my bike, was enough to win the prize for me...

Till the cement truck went on two wheels as it cut off the fish truck.

The cement truck with full load,

passing a pickup truck of iced fish,

passing a motorcycle sidecar restaurant,

Outside lane on a completely blind corner

at the nadir of two hills going both dirctions

And no shoulder but sand and Jersey Barriers on my side,

as I entered decending on my bike, was enough to win the prize for me...

Till the cement truck went on two wheels as it cut off the fish truck.

What kind of bike was it ??

Existentialist or push ??

• Like 1

motorbike lane

Isn't that more formally know in the west as a 'footpath'?

Actually, I am still amused when a Thai driver comes to an intersection and wants to drive straight ahead decides to us the hazard lights, so not to be confused as to be turning left or right.

• Like 1

There is another thread going on the forum at the moment entitled 'Why did you decide to leave Thailand?' I gave my reasons, but I could have, and should have added on to it, road rage at moron Thai drivers.

I am a lot more chilled out about it now. I just take the view that they're all out to actively kill me and my family, and I drive accordingly.

Whenever I think I've just seen the quintessential idiot Thai driver, another one comes along to prove that I have not.

If i'm ever killed I Thai roads, please, someone, engrave this on my headstone.

The driving here is still much better than many other countries. Just got back from Egypt where they drive like maniacs. During my visit to Vietnam, scooters on the sidewalks actually honk at you to get out of their way!!!!! Unreal....

The driving here is still much better than many other countries. Just got back from Egypt where they drive like maniacs. During my visit to Vietnam, scooters on the sidewalks actually honk at you to get out of their way!!!!! Unreal....

At least they honk!!

I've always said to the missus that the standard of driving is arguably worse in India, the main difference being is that they use the horn, at least that way you know that they're there. It's a rudimentary system, but one that works (in sorts).

motorbike lane

Isn't that more formally know in the west as a 'footpath'?

I couldn't figure this one either. Assume loong is referring to a hard shoulder, which theoretically should be free of all traffic, including motorbikes, although i can understand why motorbike riders seek life-preserving refuge there.

At least they honk!!

I've always said to the missus that the standard of driving is arguably worse in India, the main difference being is that they use the horn, at least that way you know that they're there. It's a rudimentary system, but one that works (in sorts).

Be careful of what you wish for. The honking horns in China drove me nuts. Xian has banned honking horns and it was a haven in an otherwise LOUD country. I love it that they don't just honk at everything. Like they do in Egypt. One hand on the horn, the other on the steering wheel. Even scooters have been modified to have truck horns there!!!!

It always amazes me that while Thai culture preaches 'jai yen yen,' and Buddhist culture kindness to others, they can display the exact opposite when behind the wheel of a car. The impatience and aggressiveness they drive with is something to behold.

I also especially like the way they show compassion by moving out of the way so emergency vehicles can move swiftly through......sad.png

• Like 1

It always amazes me that while Thai culture preaches 'jai yen yen,' and Buddhist culture kindness to others, they can display the exact opposite when behind the wheel of a car. The impatience and aggressiveness they drive with is something to behold.

I've often wondered if it's the perceived anonymity behind the wheel that explains this phenomenon, much like the a-hole behind the keyboard thing.

When i encounter these types of drivers on the road, i often think if they were to pull over and step out of their car, it might be akin to the scene of a ten storey high robotic monster creating carnage in a city, running out of power and coming to a stop, and then a small door at the bottom of the left leg opening, and a small gracious man, the controller of the robot, stepping out to humbly apologise.

I've often wondered if it's the perceived anonymity behind the wheel that explains this phenomenon, much like the a-hole behind the keyboard thing.

When i encounter these types of drivers on the road, i often think if they were to pull over and step out of their car, it might be akin to the scene of a ten storey high robotic monster creating carnage in a city, running out of power and coming to a stop, and then a small door at the bottom of the left leg opening, and a small gracious man, the controller of the robot, stepping out to humbly apologise.

This is a great analogy, I love it....clap2.gif

The only flaw in it is that for them to apologise would mean admitting they were wrong, which in turn would mean a loss of 'face.' That bit will never happen!!

• Like 1

Ever ride a taxi in Egypt? That's an amazing experience.

Buddha is replaced by Allah but same same, when asking

the driver to calm down he answer "nothing will happen if

not Allah's will and if it is it will happen anyhow...

True, spent some time in Nam last year. They pay literally no attention to traffic lights what so ever! They all wear helmets on their motorbikes though, the police enforce that law 100%. Don't know why the BIB don't learn something from them...

Ever ride a taxi in Egypt? That's an amazing experience.

Buddha is replaced by Allah but same same, when asking

the driver to calm down he answer "nothing will happen if

not Allah's will and if it is it will happen anyhow...

Exactly as it is in India, except the driver's favourite Hindu deity will protect.

Maybe this is the reason there are generally safer roads in the western world, Christianity is dying.

An interesting thought for abolishing organised religion.......wink.png

• Like 1

Hi ‘loong’ I knew where this tail was going as soon as I’d finished reading the sentence; “I could see that there were 2 pick-ups driving in the motorbike lane in the wrong direction ahead.” I also think for many living and regularly driving here in LOS felt the same way reading your story.

What I find interesting about your story is the fact it didn’t shock me, what does that say about the standard of driving in Thailand?

Like you I also try and predict the dumbest thing my fellow road users could possible do in there attempt to kill me as I drive or ride around Thailand.

As for when do I think I saw the most idiotic driving……I’ll have to get back to you on that, I’m going out on the road in about an hour…..

You do have to admit the drivers here are intovative in their disregard for driving rules and other vehicles. Just this morning While in line at a red light, watched a driver jump the light, in the process run over a dog, which was crossing on the green light. A following car came into our lane to avoid dog and hit a motorbike whose driver must have been looking at the dog, instead of oncoming traffic as was the following car.

I remember when I first came to Bangkok 18 years ago and the pavements were so bad the motocy taxis refused to use them but now they actually have bike lanes down the middle of the pavement along Sukhumvit and all the motocy use them..

I also especially like the way they show compassion by moving out of the way so emergency vehicles can move swiftly through......sad.png

I say the same thing. In the land of jai yen yen, once behind the wheel all drivers become jai ron and don't even know it, nor even think about it. They do what's best for them without thinking about anyone else.

many years ago in Iran somebody got fed up with cars using their horns all the time (I was told that with some cars the horn came on when you started the engine). A law was passed, things went on as before. Police set up roadblocks. Confiscated offenders' cars. Stripped them to their underpants. Painted their shaved heads red. Gave them the bastinado. Three days later after seeing these guys limping home half naked and red headed, people had stopped doing this. True story I assure you.

I think that the police would be ready to do their job properly, the political incentive to do so isn't there, and anyway, anywhere in the world it is the easily proved misdemeanours (going through a red light, being over the limit, no helmet, being drunk) that are most readily punished.

many years ago in Iran somebody got fed up with cars using their horns all the time (I was told that with some cars the horn came on when you started the engine). A law was passed, things went on as before. Police set up roadblocks. Confiscated offenders' cars. Stripped them to their underpants. Painted their shaved heads red. Gave them the bastinado. Three days later after seeing these guys limping home half naked and red headed, people had stopped doing this. True story I assure you.

I think that the police would be ready to do their job properly, the political incentive to do so isn't there, and anyway, anywhere in the world it is the easily proved misdemeanours (going through a red light, being over the limit, no helmet, being drunk) that are most readily punished.

I love their enforcement technique.....evil, but very effective.....

I personally don't think there is the will from the BiB though. This for two reasons:

1) It would actually mean having to do some work.

2) Without being able to stop motorists for minor (and major) driving infractions, how would they supplement their income?

There are bad drivers in every country. When i was in the UK, i once saw 3 nuns in a Mini going the wrong way around a busy roundabout. they couldn't decide which road to exit, so they went round 3 times just to be sure. Normally, people would be swearing and honking their horns, but as it was 3 nuns, everybody either was in fits of laughter or just looked totally gobsmacked. the other drivers all stopped and let them go about their business. At least they exited on the left side of the road.

There are bad drivers in every country. When i was in the UK, i once saw 3 nuns in a Mini going the wrong way around a busy roundabout. they couldn't decide which road to exit, so they went round 3 times just to be sure. Normally, people would be swearing and honking their horns, but as it was 3 nuns, everybody either was in fits of laughter or just looked totally gobsmacked. the other drivers all stopped and let them go about their business. At least they exited on the left side of the road.

I can explain that though........ they were nuns, and the point has already been made that nutty driving is linked to believing ones God (whatever flavour you particularly like) will protect you......my argument for banning organised religion in the name of road safety is now gaining momentum...