Urgent: Need Good Quality Veterinarian

cneuy3

Hello,

Yesterday my girlfriend and I picked up our new puppy. He is a 40 day old golden retriever named Rigs. The pet shop owners recommended to us a dog food brand for small dogs, bananas, and goat milk for his daily intake.

We brought Rigs home last night and fed him the mixture of dog food, bananas, and goat milk and again, today this morning.

Rigs seemed in good health throughout yesterday and most of the day today. His bile movements were normal and he seemed to have the normal energy of your every day puppy.

However today in the afternoon about an hour after Rigs most recent bile movement(complete solid, no diarhea) he started to vomit a foamy white mucus. He also did not have an appetite for his evening dinner. Over the coarse of about two hours late day Rigs vomited ~5 times and all the same foamy white mucus.

Out of concern for him we quickly called the owners of the pet shop and they came to our house to examine him. After witnessing the vomit they decided it best to take Rigs to a hospital in Hong Dong and have him examined.

The Pet shop owners called back about two hours later. They told us the doctor diagnosed Rigs with "Gastroenteritis" and my girlfriend is quoting them at saying the Rigs has an infection inside. They say that left untreated that Rigs has a life expectancy of only a couple of months. Again, something might be lost in translation but the doctor is saying that Rigs can be fixed but the procedure or medication will be 10,000 baht plus.

It's not about the money as I want Rig's to be our dog and live a healthy and full life but this diagnosis seems suspect. My girlfriend is trying to tell me that Thailand is not like other countries and that it's quiet normal for young puppies to get sick and die here. She says they normally wait until they are 40 to 45 days old and have them examined and vaccinated. Rig's had a routine check up the day we bought him and the doctors told us everything was normal. He was scheduled to return for his vaccination in one week. Apparently we had to take him around 45 days old.

All in all I'd like a second opinion. My girlfriend has made it seem as if the doctors are giving up on Rigs. The owner has mentioned something to her about Rigs going back to the farm where he was born for a bit to be with his mother. I'm not really sure what to make of all this as to me it seems as though Rigs might have just eaten something that his stomach was use to for the first time.

If anybody knows of a good veterinarian, english speaking, that would be interested in looking over Rigs I'd really appreciate it. He's at the Hong Dong hospital right now but I'd like to pick him up and take him somewhere for a second opinion.

Thanks.

I would bring him to Ban Mha ka Meaw on the Mahidol road, next to Chiang Mai land. Tel: 053 205 155. Open at 9am and closed at 8pm, except on Sundays, then closed at 6pm.

10k baht sounds quite steep to me.

And yes, most large breed pups are sold at around 6 weeks of age, which is common here but not normal. Small breeds are commonly sold at about 4 weeks of age, which is outrageous.