New Bts "Rabbit" Pass

KED

A Thai friend was trying to translate the information given from the BTS about their new "Rabbit" Card. Apparently the card will be good on both MRT and BTS; however, there is still no discount for transfer between the two. My first question, is if I buy a 20/30/40 trip pass - can I then use this pass to travel on the MRT?

Secondly, my friend was advised that even if you purchase the trip package - there will be a 15 baht surcharge if you travel on the On Nut-Bearing extension.

I tried looking on the BTS website, but the only possible information page won't load.

anyone have any details?

If you go to any BTS ticket booth, you can pick up a leaflet which explains the new ticket they're introducing. The information is also in English.

Edited by djayz

I don't think you will be able to use it on the MRT until later in the year.

I also don't know if elders will still get a 50% discount on the MRT.

Seems like it's going to be like other countries cards where you will be able to use it in places like McDonalds.

That card is meant to be a unified way of payment... in the future. I'm delighted to see a bit of foresight here.

So far, it lets you credit BTS trips and cash on the card. Trips are used as normally with the BTS card, cash is for an e-wallet that is already accepted in a few retailers.

The plan is to expand this to more retailers as well as other public transportations, including the MRT.

I'm not sure there will be a discount applied if you're using both MRT and BTS in the same trip, but as a frequent user of BTS, and occasional user of MRT, it would already be very convenient for me to be able not to queue to get a ticket the few times I go through the MRT.

I'm not sure there will be a discount applied if you're using both MRT and BTS in the same trip, but as a frequent user of BTS, and occasional user of MRT, it would already be very convenient for me to be able not to queue to get a ticket the few times I go through the MRT.

If it is a stored value card, useable on both BTS and MRT, I would be ecstatic. ANYTHING that makes using both systems more user friendly would be very welcome (especially NOT having to queue to buy tokens).

Could care less about McDonalds or any other eretailers.

Seems like it's going to be like other countries cards where you will be able to use it in places like McDonalds.

There's a geezer discount on MRT? How old do you have to be?

There's a geezer discount on MRT? How old do you have to be?

It's 65 for the elder discount of 50%, but there used to be a promotion allowing it at 60 which I think is still running.

You can either get a stored value card for the 50% rate or get a token at the window for the discounted price.

my missus asked about it the other day, the gentleman at the window told her that it can not be used on MRT at this time, he did not give her any idea when that would happen

In their advert in the Bangkok Post a couple of days ago it just said by year end 2012

If it is a stored value card, useable on both BTS and MRT, I would be ecstatic. ANYTHING that makes using both systems more user friendly would be very welcome (especially NOT having to queue to buy tokens).

Could care less about McDonalds or any other eretailers.

At the moment I have two stored value cards, one for each, I suppose it means that, whilst I have never had to queue for tokens, I will only need one stored value card.

Like you I'm not too concerned about being able to use it in McDonalds, Starbucks and the like, but it might be handy and certainly a move in the right direction.

Not meaning to be a richard head, but why anyone would queue to buy tickets or tokens on the BTS and/or MRT more than once is beyond my little pinhead's comprehension.

The stored value cards are good for years and fit neatly into just about any wallet. It takes about 30 seconds to buy one during slack time and 15 seconds to top one up as long as you do it during slow hours and not rush hour.

I struggled to understand the Rabbit Card when I read their poster while waiting for the BTS this week so I'm holding out until Dec 31 with my old card unless some additional benefits come to light...

• Like 1

Not meaning to be a richard head, but why anyone would queue to buy tickets or tokens on the BTS and/or MRT more than once is beyond my little pinhead's comprehension.

The stored value cards are good for years and fit neatly into just about any wallet. It takes about 30 seconds to buy one during slack time and 15 seconds to top one up as long as you do it during slow hours and not rush hour.

I struggled to understand the Rabbit Card when I read their poster while waiting for the BTS this week so I'm holding out until Dec 31 with my old card unless some additional benefits come to light...

Exactly !!!

Some people are the problem but it seems that they don't know !!!

If you go to any BTS ticket booth, you can pick up a leaflet which explains the new ticket they're introducing. The information is also in English.

I saw the orange rabbit sign at either Ari or Phaya Thai the other day and looked around for info, but they didn' t have any. I asked the counter lady and she explained it in Thai, but I noticed that it said something like testing program or pilot program. Can't recall. Anyhow, sometimes there's no information available. This thread has more valuable info in it than the BTS station I was in!

On that note, I wonder if this pilot program will continue on and become a full-time program.

I just traded my BTS SmartPass valued stored card for a Rabbit card (quick swap of cards at a BTS station window).

The Rabbit card can store a maximum of B4,000 and can be used on/at:

BTS Skytrain

McDonalds

Starbucks

Au Bon Pain

Auntie Annes

Gourmet market grocery stores

FoodHalls (like at Paragon, etc.)

Dunkin Donuts

Mister Donuts

Oishi food places

Beard Papas

Black Canyon Coffee

Burger King

The plan is to expand usage of the Rabbit Card to:

MRT Subway (this year)

BRT buses (this year)

possibly other transit systems

and lots of other retail outlets (hopefully including convenience stores, etc.)

There will also be a Carrot rewards system (if you register your card online after May 4th)

I hope the Rabbit card will be as useful and universal as the Octopus card in Hong Kong or Suica card in Tokyo

(and eventually melded into NFC tech in smartphones).

more info here...

http://rabbitcard.com/en

Trajan

When u said 'I just traded my BTS SmartPass valued stored card for a Rabbit card (quick swap of cards at a BTS station window)', are u sure that’s 100% right? My understanding is that it’s not a swap, rather u loose the deposit on your current BTS card and need to pay a new deposit THB50 for the Rabbitcard.

So was it a quick swap or did u need to pay a new deposit?

Thanks

• Like 1

Tried to do a Swap yesterday; was told it would cost 50b additional deposit, but when they saw I had 400b+ balance on the old one, was told that was too much - 300b maximum. Another 'rational' policy. I give up.

Trajan

When u said 'I just traded my BTS SmartPass valued stored card for a Rabbit card (quick swap of cards at a BTS station window)', are u sure that’s 100% right? My understanding is that it’s not a swap, rather u loose the deposit on your current BTS card and need to pay a new deposit THB50 for the Rabbitcard.

So was it a quick swap or did u need to pay a new deposit?

Thanks

They transferred my deposit and very small remaining balance (on my old SmartPass) to my new orange colored Rabbit card, but I needed to also pay in B60 to top up my Rabbit card to a minimum amount of B100..

.it took only a few minutes (the lady at the window seemed like a newbie and an older supervisor was guiding her)

• Like 1

So yours is a 30 Day Smart Pass? Yesterday my son was asked to pay a THB50 deposit when he tried to exchange his 30 Day Smart Pass for a new Rabbit Card - You sure u didn't have to pay a new deposit?

What I don't get is this "refundable deposit" wording. On the smartpasses, we put in a "refundable deposit", when would you get this refund, for what reason? I guess it doesn't matter, it is only 50 or 30 baht or something, but a deposit is something you will get back. Is it that if we tun these rabbit passes in then to them they give the 50 baht back? Can you turn it in a day before it expires? Hardly worth discussing, just generally curious I guess -- it is probably just a way for them to get an extra 50 baht per pass.

• Like 1

So yours is a 30 Day Smart Pass?  Yesterday my son was asked to pay a THB50 deposit when he tried to exchange his 30 Day Smart Pass for a new Rabbit Card -  You sure u didn't have to pay a new deposit?

I traded in a Smart Pass (with a pretty long validity period--I think a year or so---I have had it for a few yrs and I believe the validity period kept extending everytime I topped it up)....it wasnt a 30 Day Pass....they transferred my deposit and small balance to my new Rabbit card....

When exchanging a valid, stored-value (not a 30-day, ride-based card) card, with ~ 18 baht left (I tried using it to enter, was informed at the gate to see the ticket office) I was asked for the 50 baht deposit. I happened to have the website on my phone, showed it to the agent; she said "sorry, OK, no 50 baht" rolleyes.gif Perhaps they get to pocket the 50 baht as a commission? I did lose the 18 baht as it seemed way too complex to explain/request. Hard to figure why they don't have an automated exchange capability?

http://www.bts.co.th...ass_Rabbit.html

post-9615-0-86867400-1336093932_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the hint, lomatopo. We were indeed quoted 50 Baht card issue fee at the BTS Bang Chak ticket counter on Sunday. This was a 30-day pass, but reading the website I cannot see that this swap option is limited to stored-value cards only...

I wonder if we had gotten a receipt for the 50 Baht or not...

Thanks for the hint, lomatopo. We were indeed quoted 50 Baht card issue fee at the BTS Bang Chak ticket counter on Sunday. This was a 30-day pass, but reading the website I cannot see that this swap option is limited to stored-value cards only...

I wonder if we had gotten a receipt for the 50 Baht or not...

the Baht 50 issue fee is applicable to NEW Rabbit cards...however if you are exchanging an existing Smart Pass it doesnt apply...

http://www.rabbitcard.com/en/content/special-launch-promotion-rabbit

Why did they chose to call it a 'rabbit' pass? Have people started breeding uncontrollably on the transport systems or something? I would have called it a 'slug' pass or 'sardine' pass.

Since this Rabbit pass is a form of Royally endorsed e-Money, and the King was born in a year of the Rabbit (1927) and the word "Rabbit" is highlighted in yellow one makes a leap towards understanding the moniker?

the Baht 50 issue fee is applicable to NEW Rabbit cards...however if you are exchanging an existing Smart Pass it doesnt apply...

Well, *I* understand that but do the ticket officers as well?

I don't like the fact that this new card can be used at MacDonalds, etc.

I give my son a Smart Pass to use for going to school.

I don't want him to use it to buy junk food !!!!!!!!!!

So I'm keeping the old passes (stored value) as long as possible.

I don't like the fact that this new card can be used at MacDonalds, etc.

I give my son a Smart Pass to use for going to school.

I don't want him to use it to buy junk food !!!!!!!!!!

So I'm keeping the old passes (stored value) as long as possible.

The card can only be used at a few branches of McDonalds, certainly not all, not that that info is very reassuring .