New Bts "Rabbit" Pass

KED

the Baht 50 issue fee is applicable to NEW Rabbit cards...however if you are exchanging an existing Smart Pass it doesnt apply...

Well, *I* understand that but do the ticket officers as well?

the ticket officers that exchanged my card understood it...

I don't like the fact that this new card can be used at MacDonalds, etc.

I give my son a Smart Pass to use for going to school.

I don't want him to use it to buy junk food !!!!!!!!!!

So I'm keeping the old passes (stored value) as long as possible.

The card can only be used at a few branches of McDonalds, certainly not all, not that that info is very reassuring .

its just the initial roll-out...I understand they will all be linked in eventually.... (also the initial Starbucks branches will be expanded according to my local Starbucks)....

The first guy tried to keep my deposit and balance and get me to pay for a new card.

The second guy refunded my deposit and balance, but charged me for a new card! I just can’t win – had no choice but to buy it, my card expired and would not work anymore (five years old).

The first guy tried to keep my deposit and balance and get me to pay for a new card.

The second guy refunded my deposit and balance, but charged me for a new card! I just can’t win – had no choice but to buy it, my card expired and would not work anymore (five years old).

To be fair, the website says:

Existing BTS SmartPass cardholders can replace their existing passes with a new Rabbit card free of charge [...] SmartPasses to be replaced should still be within 5 Year Card Life validity

So he refunded the deposit (what is it, 30 Baht?) AND your balance of your *expired* SmartPass and charged 50 Baht for the Rabbit card which makes the effective costs of the new card 20 Baht. That's not that bad, is it?

Edited by welo

To be fair, the website says:

Existing BTS SmartPass cardholders can replace their existing passes with a new Rabbit card free of charge [...] SmartPasses to be replaced should still be within 5 Year Card Life validity

So he refunded the deposit (what is it, 30 Baht?) AND your balance of your *expired* SmartPass and charged 50 Baht for the Rabbit card which makes the effective costs of the new card 20 Baht. That's not that bad, is it?

U r miss-informed. The THH30 on the old card, is an issue fee, not a deposit = it's lost.

The miss-advertisement of the free new Rabbit Card chooses not to be 100% honest

Currently I top up 25 trips 575 Baht (23 Baht per trip)

When I exchange for my ‘free’ Rabbit card, the cost will be 575+50 (deposit) +100 (for McDonalds or BTS extension or .... no choice, must do)

So my free exchange costs 50+100

As usually marketing is marketing - Personally I'd prefer honesty over a non 'free' exchange. Sadly a significant number of people no longer believe in ‘principle over value’ and will bemoan it away as ‘only’ being €4.

BTS website says about the (old) SmartPass

BTS SKY SmartPass

1. 5 Year Card Life starts from date of issue.

2. Passes are available for purchase at a minimum of 130 Baht (including traveling deposit 30 baht and issuing fee 30 baht)

3. Travelling deposit (30 baht) is not included in travel value, shown on the cardreader screen at an Automatic Gate.

4. Value on Passes may be refilled at anytime. The minimum value that may be added is 100 baht and maximum stored value must not exceed 2,000 Baht.

5. Any value remaining over 2 years after date of issue or last refill, or last use for travel, cannot be exchanged for cash or other services of any kind. (details as per Conditions of Use for BTS SKY SmartPasses).

So the 30 Baht issuing fee is lost, but the (hidden? see point 3.) travelling deposit will be refunded, I assume.

In the case of Furbie, he had an expired SmartPass (older than 5 yrs), which is not eligible for the free swap according to the website. So his 30 Baht issuing fee was lost anyway because the card was expired - this was unrelated to the RabbitCard - and it seems he got his deposit refunded (the 30 Baht 'hidden' deposit included?) according to point 5.

If however, his card was still valid but it was longer than 2 years after the last refill, then according to the conditions above, he shouldn't have gotten any refund of deposit and balance. But he would have been eligible for the free swap.

:)

When I exchange for my ‘free’ Rabbit card, the cost will be 575+50 (deposit) +100 (for McDonalds or BTS extension or .... no choice, must do)

So my free exchange costs 50+100

OK, so they waver you the issuing fee of 50 Baht, but you still have to pay the 50 Baht deposit - which should actually be only 20 Baht because you get the 'hidden' travel deposit of the old card refunded (if this is actually true - can't confirm this) - Plus 100 Baht minimum topup.

The 50 Baht should be refundable if you return the card within its validity period, and the 100 Baht can be used for traveling on the BTS or buying junk food.

I understand that you are not happy about the forced top-up of 100 Baht if you are a vivid 30-day pass rider.

What I also find disturbing is that with this new card the customer cannot decide whether to use the standard fare / deposit for a trip or one of the 30-day pass rides. The system will *always* deduct 'rides' first, and then deposit.

So if a customer travels one station that might actually cost him 25 Baht (15 rides/30 days) instead of 15 Baht.

Sadly a significant number of people no longer believe in ‘principle over value’

Haha, I am definitely not one of them. Otherwise I wouldn't bother to write this awkwardly detailed post. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When exchanging a valid, stored-value (not a 30-day, ride-based card) card, with ~ 18 baht left (I tried using it to enter, was informed at the gate to see the ticket office) I was asked for the 50 baht deposit. I happened to have the website on my phone, showed it to the agent; she said "sorry, OK, no 50 baht" rolleyes.gif Perhaps they get to pocket the 50 baht as a commission? I did lose the 18 baht as it seemed way too complex to explain/request. Hard to figure why they don't have an automated exchange capability?

http://www.bts.co.th...ass_Rabbit.html

Thanks. I'm gonna try this so I can save my 50 baht :)

When exchanging a valid, stored-value (not a 30-day, ride-based card) card, with ~ 18 baht left (I tried using it to enter, was informed at the gate to see the ticket office) I was asked for the 50 baht deposit. I happened to have the website on my phone, showed it to the agent; she said "sorry, OK, no 50 baht" rolleyes.gif Perhaps they get to pocket the 50 baht as a commission? I did lose the 18 baht as it seemed way too complex to explain/request. Hard to figure why they don't have an automated exchange capability?

Thanks. I'm gonna try this so I can save my 50 baht smile.png

Well, they always get you no matter what.

lomatopo didn't pay the 50 baht issuing fee, but he did not get his 18+30 Baht deposit refunded. The 30 Baht are - if I understand correctly - a *hidden* deposit that I guess guarantees that there is always the maximum fare of 45 Baht on the card (you can not enter with less than 15 Baht on your card - 15+30 = 45).

Quote from the website about the 'old' SmartPass:

For the first issue:

- Non-refundable card issuing fee of 30 Baht

- Traveling deposit of 30 Baht

- Initial value is as specified by the Company

Not absolutely sure about the 30 Baht though.

Thanks. I'm gonna try this so I can save my 50 baht smile.png

Well, they always get you no matter what.

lomatopo didn't pay the 50 baht issuing fee, but he did not get his 18+30 Baht deposit refunded. The 30 Baht are - if I understand correctly - a *hidden* deposit that I guess guarantees that there is always the maximum fare of 45 Baht on the card (you can not enter with less than 15 Baht on your card - 15+30 = 45).

Quote from the website about the 'old' SmartPass:

For the first issue:

- Non-refundable card issuing fee of 30 Baht

- Traveling deposit of 30 Baht

- Initial value is as specified by the Company

Not absolutely sure about the 30 Baht though.

It sounds like some are getting charged 50 baht when they get these new rabbit cards, and some who put up a little stink aren't. I'm not sure though. I figure why not just mention it or maybe print out the "free" replacement flyer and you can save the 50 baht??

Edited by meand