Driving To Phang Nga Today

Driving out of BKK this morning. Will spend the first night or 3 on the coast in the southernmost part of Ranong. Then on to maybe the Khao Lak area. Want to do a lot of sea bathing and swimming and snorkelling to help with a wound on one foot.

If anyone has any road tips, please let me know. Also if you have any favorite spots or hotels down that way would also love the heads up on that as well.

Thanks all! smile.png

We have just got back from a period in Khao Lak and before that Koh Surin. At Khoa Lak we stayed at the Khao Lak Orchid Beach Resort. I can highly recommend that hotel. We paid 1650Baht a night (booking.com) for a very large room with a view over the pool and the sea. Don't mix it up with the Khao Lak Orchid Resort Family Wing.

I'm quite sure that they can arrange snorkling, but we had our fill of it in Koh Surin.

Whilst there we looked at several other hotels, even a 5* one and I can assure you that we much prefered where we were and thought that it was the best beach in that area.

The last time we stayed in Ranong it was at the Tinidee, quite OK for a night or so.

On the way down we stopped for lunch in Thap Sakae. I restaurant right on the beach. It's on the way to Rocky Point Resort but you don't turn right to the resort, just go straight on and it's on the right as the road turns left to go along the beach ... toilets are a bit iffee though. If I can find the Map Ref I'll post it later.

Another place to eat in Phang Nga is the navy Club, food is excellent.

Edit ... the Fish Restaurant is about N11.49527 E099.63130. You could contact Barracuda Diving and they might be able to sort you some snorkling. They sorted a place, new and clean, for us to stop overnight at 650Baht!! no breakfast though....

Edited by JAS21

Also, thanks JAS21 for the heads up on the Khao Lak resort and restaurants, etc. I will probably try that resort. For booking hotels I recommend Asiarooms.com or Agoda.com. They tend to be about 25% less than other internet booking sites.

Also, thanks JAS21 for the heads up on the Khao Lak resort and restaurants, etc. I will probably try that resort. For booking hotels I recommend Asiarooms.com or Agoda.com. They tend to be about 25% less than other internet booking sites.

I've sent you a pm ... write up on our trip.

Yes, you can stay at Koh Surin, accommodation available via the national parks. But: closed at the moment because of the seasons. You'll find lots of things closed/closing, and snorkeling/swimming opportunities limited.

Yes, you can stay at Koh Surin, accommodation available via the national parks. But: closed at the moment because of the seasons. You'll find lots of things closed/closing, and snorkeling/swimming opportunities limited.

Is it, I thought that it was still open for 2-3 more weeks ... thats what we were told a week or so back. Worth checking, phone Barracuda Diving who are based in khuri Buri ... they will know.

Maybe worth you comparing booking.com prices ... they quite all in!

Sorry ... her who know it all says Koh Surin has just shut ... still worth checking though i guess.

Edited by JAS21