Buying A New Bike?

YoungBrit

Hi, so I live in Chiang Mai and want to buy a new motorbike (cash not credit). I understand I need passport and non imm visa which I have and I have to show proof to live here.

My sister-in-law will provide her Thai id and the house registration papers for me to get a letter at the Chiang Mai immigration office. Is there anything else I need?? Also does this process require her to be there or can I collect these documents and take them on my own as she runs her won business and is short of time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

YoungBrit

It's not buying the bike that you need this but when you register it. Many dealer do that for you and want that information. So have your passport and maybe your sister in laws house book. and yes, sometimes they will ask for a letter from immigration but not always. She does not need to be there, just a note from her for immigration + copy house book + copy ID card.

This assumes new bike at a dealer.

Second hand is more easy, hand over the cash and worry about it later when it is registered.

It's not buying the bike that you need this but when you register it. Many dealer do that for you and want that information. So have your passport and maybe your sister in laws house book. and yes, sometimes they will ask for a letter from immigration but not always. She does not need to be there, just a note from her for immigration + copy house book + copy ID card.

Second hand is more easy, hand over the cash and worry about it later when it is registered.

Firstly, thanks very much for your information. You said it is not buying the bike that I need this for? Some I went to one dealer and they wouldn't sell me the bike without the letter from immigration first. Is this dealer/location specific then?

Thanks again.

YoungBrit

You need proof of residency to buy one. Either a letter from immigration saying where you live, or yellow house book if you have one. You may also need a drivers licence, the kawasaki dealer down in Pattaya wanted to see my licence, passport and proof of residency.

You need proof of residency to buy one. Either a letter from immigration saying where you live, or yellow house book if you have one. You may also need a drivers licence, the kawasaki dealer down in Pattaya wanted to see my licence, passport and proof of residency.

ive bought scores of bikes and never been asked for a driving licence

even the rental places dont give a shit if you have a licence or not ......

Firstly, thanks very much for your information. You said it is not buying the bike that I need this for? Some I went to one dealer and they wouldn't sell me the bike without the letter from immigration first. Is this dealer/location specific then?

Thanks again.

YoungBrit

If the dealer is registering it for you they will need that information. Where are you registering it ?

If you are registering it your self and going to the government office, they will need it then.

That said. I have purchased both new and used bikes and not registered them for months or even years here but that can lead to other problems.

ive bought scores of bikes and never been asked for a driving licence

even the rental places dont give a shit if you have a licence or not ......

The kawasaki dealer in Pattaya wanted to see a valid licence otherwise he would not sell the bike.

The kawasaki dealer in Pattaya wanted to see a valid licence otherwise he would not sell the bike.

Maybe it has something to do with the insurance.

When I applied for the 1.st class insurance for my car, they wanted to see my Thai license too, otherwise "cannot"

On the other hand a second hand bike may not have a green book or it may be a dodgy one and when you register it you may have to pay extra to get it done.

The safest way to buy second hand si paying for it AFTER the book is transferred into your name.

Thanks for all the help guys. Using the information kindly provided I took these documents to immigration. After getting some additional things (photos, copies of passport, visa etc) I got the letter needed. I was then able to purchase the bike and wasn't asked to show a license. Sounds like it might be a thing they ask for in Pattaya possibly?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

YoungBrit

Thanks for all the help guys. Using the information kindly provided I took these documents to immigration. After getting some additional things (photos, copies of passport, visa etc) I got the letter needed. I was then able to purchase the bike and wasn't asked to show a license. Sounds like it might be a thing they ask for in Pattaya possibly?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

YoungBrit

Who did you buy from