Top Three Things That Brought You To Thailand?

smokie36

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things that brought me to Thailand:

Pure luck after responding to a 3 line job advert in a National news paper. After interviews followed by a week worth of tests etc as fresh graduate at 22 I along with a handful of others were given a choice between Thailand or Brazil. I chose Thailand on nothing more than a whim, there were no other reasons.

Things that kept me in Thailand:

The work and expat deal

The travel, sightseeing and lifestyle

The friends I’d made who I worked with and lived with

Things that now keep me in Thailand

The work and expat deal

Wife + her family

Friends

Lifestyle

The one thing that would make me move away.

The offer of work and a deal else where which is too good to overlook. If I chose this option I could always come back to my current position and would loose nothing other than time.

Other Comments:

Some of us came here without the idea of chasing women, many of us have lived and existed outside of that ‘singular dimensional box’ for years here. When reading these posts you can spot the type of expat who lives here for more than ‘the one’ reason many allude to, usually by the lack of prejudice, bias and insularity of their posts.

Epic condescension.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Not intentionally - More of a retort against those who make comments such as "Come on! There's only one reason people move to Thailand, and its located under your zipper!"...

Being in Thailand was no more fun than being at Uni in the UK, hence not a reason to come here. In my early and mid 20's there was equally as much opportunity for fun in the UK as in Thailand. In fact, I found the majority of the girls in Thailand rather fugly, particularly the ones who made themselves so openly available. It was only once I'd made good Thai friends that women became a reason for staying here, I was introduced to my wife.

If I'd moved here in mid life (i.e. 40's +) then women might be a reason to come here, I can understand and don't criticise that. But, I don't accept that some posters are being truthfully subjective when they accuse all others that the only real reason people are here is because of the women. That level of narrow-mindedness is apparent in some posts.

There is more to the character of many posters on TV.com than simply looking for the next shag and having it rule their life decisions.

I would have agreed with you at 22 or 42 or 52. But now that I am over 62 and getting a handle on the real meaning of life. I am meditating daily. I have stopped drinking and am eating right. My mind is clearing. I'm kind of leaning towards the shag thing.

Edited by kerryk
  • Like 1

These types of discussions on why one moves to Thailand always amaze me with their dishonesty. Come on! There's only one reason people move to Thailand, and its located under your zipper! And I'm not, repeat NOT, saying theres anything wrong with that. The draw could me one particular woman or man or not. But we ALL know what it comes down to. The rest are just justifications.

Someone mentioned culture???? Give me a break! You just love Thai entertainment, music, sports, movies, art SO much better than in your home country. I just don't believe you for half a second.

Interesting way to look at it I suppose. But, yes culture was a main reason. After a friend turned me on to Thailand, I couldn't and still can't seem to get enough. I love the unique cuisine, retail street vendors, spirit houses, sanuk, Songkran, and lastly the nightlife.

IMHOthumbsup.gif

Edited by Disander

To expand a little on my signature and on a more mundane level in this life:

1) Job

2) Proximity to Singapore = great life + friends + g/f there

3) Not really knowing what I was letting myself in for

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

These types of discussions on why one moves to Thailand always amaze me with their dishonesty. Come on! There's only one reason people move to Thailand, and its located under your zipper! And I'm not, repeat NOT, saying theres anything wrong with that. The draw could me one particular woman or man or not. But we ALL know what it comes down to. The rest are just justifications.

Someone mentioned culture???? Give me a break! You just love Thai entertainment, music, sports, movies, art SO much better than in your home country. I just don't believe you for half a second.

Do you know anything about Thai culture? Its amazing and I love it. Im not talking about the ' music/sports/art side of it, im talking about the social aspect of it.
  • Like 1

1. Fulham is boring

2. Fulham is cold

3. Fulham is close to Hammersmith

Used to have an American diner serving 32 ounce burgers tho...waaaay better than Chesters grill!

No nice food there these days... just loads of Thai restaurants...

1. Fulham is boring

2. Fulham is cold

Used to have an American diner serving 32 ounce burgers tho...waaaay better than Chesters grill!

There is one which is highly rated and consequently vastly overpriced. It tickles me when friends invite me to such places....but only when they are paying the bill.

1. Fulham is boring

2. Fulham is cold

There is one which is highly rated and consequently vastly overpriced. It tickles me when friends invite me to such places....but only when they are paying the bill.

The place you are referring to also has a Bangkok branch so we better be careful what we say or we might get sued... suffice to say Chester's grill is much better

1. Fulham is boring

2. Fulham is cold

In Fulham's defense, it is not Tottenham.

Why I came to Thailand.

Lot's of good things are cheap.

Lots of people don't really care too much about a lot of things.

I am the tallest man in the villiage. The natives are in awe of my ability to reach things on high shelves.

• Like 1