Keeway Rkv 200 - Any Good?

My humble opinion........It seems to me there is a big risk here, well three... is it reliable, even safe (if bits break off like foot rests) and when it needs bits can you get them, at all? You could be buying a bike for just a year and...... what is you life worth in Baht?

A second hand Jap bike (CBR) may need a few bits to get it perfect, but you won't have any of the above problems and with care it will last for years, probably get your money back when you sell. My bet is, you will sell and move up from 200cc.

OK, I am a newbie biker, but an engineer and have had some dealings with Chinese engineering companies in Ningbo. .....Now, there isn't a bargepole long enough to touch this sort of shiny thing.

I don't want to be riding along a highway at 100kph wondering whether the front axle, or fork material, tyre or wheel bearing quality is up to scratch.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My doubts are not specific to this particular bike, but China has had a problem with material quality, which I think still exists in companies making a Chinese product, as opposed to those building to a full western spec.

If it were a watch, or a set of knives and forks, the risk of injury or death as a result of a fault is quite low, a 130kph motorcycle, a little higher. That is my only reason.

A few years back I went to Ningbo company, trying to get a winch built and their level of engineering prowess was appallingly low and all the other winch manufacturers were the same and most of the problems were related to material quality, though not all. They are all in a GD hurry trying to make money, plus I am a believer in "you get what you pay for".

Armed with this doubt in my mind, I would opt for a second hand Jap bike, with all the other advantages in terms of spares, service, performance and resale value.

• Like 1

My doubts are not specific to this particular bike, but China has had a problem with material quality, which I think still exists in companies making a Chinese product, as opposed to those building to a full western spec.

If it were a watch, or a set of knives and forks, the risk of injury or death as a result of a fault is quite low, a 130kph motorcycle, a little higher. That is my only reason.

A few years back I went to Ningbo company, trying to get a winch built and their level of engineering prowess was appallingly low and all the other winch manufacturers were the same and most of the problems were related to material quality, though not all. They are all in a GD hurry trying to make money, plus I am a believer in "you get what you pay for".

Armed with this doubt in my mind, I would opt for a second hand Jap bike, with all the other advantages in terms of spares, service, performance and resale value.

The Keeway's were originally built for Europe - so in effect it is a product built to a Euro spec. I don't think we can say that all China products are suspect - we buy Chinese made goods all the time .... electronics especially. There are also Chinese built Audi's and the motor for the BMW GS 650 is Chinese built. The Keeway RKV 125 has a good reputation for reliability in the UK where it's used as a learner bike. My 200 has been OK so far - although it's only done low miles so far.

The Keeway's were originally built for Europe - so in effect it is a product built to a Euro spec. I don't think we can say that all China products are suspect - we buy Chinese made goods all the time .... electronics especially. There are also Chinese built Audi's and the motor for the BMW GS 650 is Chinese built. The Keeway RKV 125 has a good reputation for reliability in the UK where it's used as a learner bike. My 200 has been OK so far - although it's only done low miles so far.

The BMW GS 650 engine is actually only assembled by Loncin of China from parts manufactured in Germany and shipped over. Edited by BirdsandBooze

If it is made to a "fully supervised" European spec that does make a difference, but if they got a bunch of drawings and the Chinese are running the project, I would say no.

And like I said if it were almost anything but a motorcycle I wouldn't have a problem, plus there are much better alternatives with a pedigree, albeit second-hand.

This is only my opinion, but based on some first hand experience and a reasonable understanding of metallurgy and how some companies in the developing world prioritise it.

If it is made to a "fully supervised" European spec that does make a difference, but if they got a bunch of drawings and the Chinese are running the project, I would say no.

And like I said if it were almost anything but a motorcycle I wouldn't have a problem, plus there are much better alternatives with a pedigree, albeit second-hand.

This is only my opinion, but based on some first hand experience and a reasonable understanding of metallurgy and how some companies in the developing world prioritize it.

Speaking of metallurgy those recently released pictures of a snapped KLX frame does not help bolster the competition ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I took advantage of the quiet roads in BKK on New Years Day to go for a decent ride .... great to not be riding between cars for a change!

I then gave the bike a good clean, lubrication and check-up (and took a photo). After over 8 months of riding in Bangkok it still looks good.

The 1 to 2 gear change still hits neutral now and then ..... but my Thai friends have no problems when they ride my bike and the dealer said it was fine on a test ride - so perhaps it's me. I haven't tried moving the angle of the lever as suggested in this thread - it may help so I really should give it a go. Now it's run-in I can do clutch-less changes in the higher gears and it feels (marginally) quicker and revs a bit easier. It's still hardly a road burner - but it brings a smile to my face as it feels willing and fun.

I've got my eye on a CB 500 x for later this year - but to be honest - for the sort of riding I do there's no logical reason to add another cylinder ..... so I may stick with the RKV.

I've seen a few now. Not an unattractive bike in gold.....except for the company sticking the oil cooler out one side! It breaks the synergy of the whole bike.

A guy at my condo has one. I thought it looked nice at first. It's been a few months now and it looks a bit haggard. my opinion on it has changed now.

Do you know if he looked after it properly?

Well it looks very clean, it just seems to have lost its new bike glow rather quickly.

a guy at my office rides a 2011 cbr 250 and its rusted to bits

it looks like a 10 year old bike

even the chain is orange with rust and the bolts on the exhaust have rusted

i think he just leaves it in the rain ,and probably hasnt had it serviced since he bought it

and wont until it breaks laugh.png

i think he just leaves it in the rain ,and probably hasnt had it serviced since he bought it

What a sad story. Dont want to hear such things sad.png

This is cruelty to small innocent bikes. Shame on him biggrin.png

What a sad story. Dont want to hear such things sad.png

This is cruelty to small innocent bikes. Shame on him biggrin.png

Stupidity is growing at epidemic proportions.

I just don't understand people who are like that.

• 2 months later...

keeway rkv200 good design, inexpensive but modify motorcycle exhaust.

modify
ex.picture1719.jpg

inexpensive

Genuine Yoshi bits are expensive. Do Keeway owners want to spend money on that type of thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Still have my RKV here in Mukdahan. Have been driving it for almost 1year now, and it still looks Great! After some smal adjustments, I never had any problems.

I will take some photos when I'm back from hollyday.

hear hear

Here are some pic. Not so very clean, but you can see It`s still looks good :-)

In total, I`m been driving 6000 km.

If you treat you bike like crap, it looks like crap to.....

I have been treating this bike good. Been standing outside since may 2012, but under roof. Cleaning it when it`s dirty, but not to often.

http://www.fotoknudsen.no/mediafront/index/slideshow?album=10041057&startImage=588581504

Edited by Trutta

Here are some pic. Not so very clean, but you can see It`s still looks good :-)

In total, I`m been driving 6000 km.

If you treat you bike like crap, it looks like crap to.....

I have been treating this bike good. Been standing outside since may 2012, but under roof. Cleaning it when it`s dirty, but not to often.

http://www.fotoknudsen.no/mediafront/index/slideshow?album=10041057&startImage=588581504

link is no good

Now if it would have been a chinese bike instead of a honda we would have had a lot of comments about build quality etc etc. If i see trutta's last post with pics its clear to see that its much more important how the owner takes care of his bike. Some people will break anything, even a honda.

I am normally a staunch anti Chinese bike fellow, but there are some plus points with this bike:-

1. At a 1/3rd of the price, that is a big difference.

2. If they have nicked/bought an old old Honda design, that is good.

3. If they have a tie up with Bennelli, there is some expertise there too.

4. If the engine is down on horsepower that removes strain, perhaps.

Ancillaries are not a huge issue, you can always get something to fit, it is engine and gearbox that are the issue. So, lots of oil changes, including one when you buy the bike, keep an eye on wheel bearings and change them for Jap ones at the first sign of wear and generally look after it. Jap bikes tend to accept some abuse and get it in Thailand, Chinese maybe not, so don't.

Still two minds, but 1/3rd price is a BIG carrot, looks nice-ish too. The Kwaka is overpriced anyway, should be 100k.

• Like 1

Nice pictures and nice sexy bike Trutta wink.png

Can I ask what is your size and how confortable you are rinding the RKV200 ? I also think about purchasing this bike but I am 1m86, 77kg and fair sized legs.. I really wonder if I will be confortable and it's difficult to have reports.

see you soon smile.png

Edited by DrAzTiK

Curious what diameter those fork legs are.

How does such an inexpensive bike get such a decent looking fork? ( don't know how it performs though)

Meanwhile Honda 250,500 Kawasaki 250,650 get stuck with chopsticks?

Curious what diameter those fork legs are.

How does such an inexpensive bike get such a decent looking fork? ( don't know how it performs though)

Meanwhile Honda 250,500 Kawasaki 250,650 get stuck with chopsticks?

same with the tiger boxer, also an upside down fork . I remember i read somewhere that fork could be ordered for 6000 baht but I might be wrong.

• Like 1