Keeway Rkv 200 - Any Good?

Total price including first class insurance is 59,000 THB. Preparation by the dealer was good. Only ridden it around Bangkok for a day, but here's my first impressions .....

The dealer is the Yamaha showroom on Rama IV (right side when going out of Bangkok about 3 Km from Big C/Tesco). The main importer and parts supplier is M-Bike, but to be honest I don't know where they are and all their info is in Thai, but I happened to see the RKV when I was getting my Nouvo serviced and I prefer to buy from a local dealer to keep servicing simple.

@Familyonthemove:

Have you bought your bike at this shop? Roong Roj Mahanakorn, Yamaha Square:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=de&ll=13.712962,100.582084&spn=0.000946,0.002733&sll=13.710035,100.476322&sspn=0.091223,0.169086&t=m&layer=c&cbll=13.712961,100.582085&panoid=MYkDiOCJQ86d8ZWX4AhMcQ&cbp=12,151.72,,0,0.52&z=19

I was curious about the bike and its price tag, so i took the chance today and had a short visit there to ask about it. They had the Keeway Superlight200, Keeway RKV200, Sym GTS300i, some small Kawasaki and of course a lot Yamaha scooters there.

I was told the following prices:

59,000 Baht for the bike (RKV200)

1,000 Baht for basic insurance, Tax, Plates, Registration, etc.

2,500 Baht for 2 years theft insurance

Not 100% sure if i understood everything correct. Communication was a bit difficult as usual. And because of the different price i ask myself if i was at the same dealer as you. Or maybe i spoke to the wrong person? No chance to speak to the manager as they were busy and i had only little time.

What exactly do you mean with "Total price including first class insurance is 59,000 THB"? Are you sure it was only 59,000 THB? 59k seems to be the MSRP. Would be very nice to have first class insurance included in the price.

My next visit will be at this regular Sym/Keeway dealer/showroom. Just collecting prices and looking whats available:

http://maps.google.c...74,,0,7.43&z=18

Edited by wantan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total price including first class insurance is 59,000 THB. Preparation by the dealer was good. Only ridden it around Bangkok for a day, but here's my first impressions .....

The dealer is the Yamaha showroom on Rama IV (right side when going out of Bangkok about 3 Km from Big C/Tesco). The main importer and parts supplier is M-Bike, but to be honest I don't know where they are and all their info is in Thai, but I happened to see the RKV when I was getting my Nouvo serviced and I prefer to buy from a local dealer to keep servicing simple.

@Familyonthemove:

Have you bought your bike at this shop? Roong Roj Mahanakorn, Yamaha Square:

http://maps.google.c...72,,0,0.52&z=19

I was curious about the bike and its price tag, so i took the chance today and had a short visit there to ask about it. They had the Keeway Superlight200, Keeway RKV200, Sym GTS300i, some small Kawasaki and of course a lot Yamaha scooters there.

I was told the following prices:

59,000 Baht for the bike (RKV200)

1,000 Baht for basic insurance, Tax, Plates, Registration, etc.

2,500 Baht for 2 years theft insurance

Not 100% sure if i understood everything correct. Communication was a bit difficult as usual. And because of the different price i ask myself if i was at the same dealer as you. Or maybe i spoke to the wrong person? No chance to speak to the manager as they were busy and i had only little time.

What exactly do you mean with "Total price including first class insurance is 59,000 THB"? Are you sure it was only 59,000 THB? 59k seems to be the MSRP. Would be very nice to have first class insurance included in the price.

My next visit will be at this regular Sym/Keeway dealer/showroom. Just collecting prices and looking whats available:

http://maps.google.c...74,,0,7.43&z=18

Yes - that's the place. I had my chief negotiator with me from the office - and she was offered 59,000 including plates and insurance if i paid cash.

You are right though, I added the 2 years insurance and that added an extra 2,500. He threw in 2 helmets (basic type that I don't use myself) and a large bike cover that I do use as well as two Yamaha shirts that went to the Chief Negotiator.

I don't think there's much margin in these bikes for the dealer, so it may be tough to get a deal. The main dealer is M-Bike, they may offer a better price?

Took 3 weeks to get the plates and the Green Book, and the tool kit was missing when i rode the bike away, but he found it when I phoned up and I picked it up the next day. (Worth checking about the tool kit if you buy one - it's behind the right side cover. First Service will be due very soon, so I'll see how that goes.

Keeway - Sym seem pretty serious about this model It's available in the UK as a 125cc but being released soon as a 600cc.

http://www.autotrade..._naked_RK6.html

An estimated 1800 GBP (88K THB) less dear than the ER-6N? If styled and equipped as the first picture it would be extremely tempting...until you figure all the taxes and what not that would be slapped on it. When you figure that it ends up costing more with less support. :(

Keeway - Sym seem pretty serious about this model It's available in the UK as a 125cc but being released soon as a 600cc.

An estimated 1800 GBP (88K THB) less dear than the ER-6N? If styled and equipped as the first picture it would be extremely tempting...until you figure all the taxes and what not that would be slapped on it. When you figure that it ends up costing more with less support. sad.png

If they import it into Thailand, it may not be too expensive. Keeway 125 in UK is 1,800 UK Pounds - so about 87,000 THB, but the RKV 200 costs 60,000 THB in Bangkok. There must be a tax agreement with China, same as with Malaysia? But the market may be too small for the 600 .... it would have to be a lot cheaper than the Kawasaki 650's which are really the ideal bigger bikes for Thailand. But I'd consider upgrading to the RK6 if it was significantly less than a Versys ... although after sales would be a worry. I reckon my RKV 200 is simple enough to service myself, but a DOHC 4?

(Service on the RKV 200 due soon, so I'll post an update.)

If they import it into Thailand, it may not be too expensive. Keeway 125 in UK is 1,800 UK Pounds - so about 87,000 THB, but the RKV 200 costs 60,000 THB in Bangkok. There must be a tax agreement with China, same as with Malaysia? But the market may be too small for the 600 .... it would have to be a lot cheaper than the Kawasaki 650's which are really the ideal bigger bikes for Thailand. But I'd consider upgrading to the RK6 if it was significantly less than a Versys ... although after sales would be a worry. I reckon my RKV 200 is simple enough to service myself, but a DOHC 4?

I don't know about the particulars of the tax deals that are in place with various countries, but if I recall correctly aren't most, if not all, for the 250cc or below? Also seem to recall there is going to be a general reduction in the taxes/levies/whatever on the bigger than 250cc bikes from Japan over the next 5-10 years.

It would be nice to have an alternative to Kawasaki or Honda (who is way over what I'd be willing to spend). If they can keep the same ratio of prices (approximately 2/3 what you'd pay in the UK), would that indicate a base of ~130 000THB with taxes taking it up to 195 000THB? Would be interesting if the bikes are known to hold up.

Without know exactly how advanced the electronics are (going to be?) it's hard to say that the bike would be difficult to work on. People have wrenched on DOHC Honduh and Toyota ricers forever. If a pimply faced teenager can do that, you can do it also.

An estimated 1800 GBP (88K THB) less dear than the ER-6N? If styled and equipped as the first picture it would be extremely tempting...until you figure all the taxes and what not that would be slapped on it. When you figure that it ends up costing more with less support. sad.png

I'm guessing first service at 1000km?

How frequent are the service intervals after that?

Looking forward to the update I really like the look of this bike.

I visited a regular SYM and Keeway showroom in Bangkok on Saturday. They have the following bikes:

• Keeway TXM200 61,900 Baht
  • Keeway RKV200 59,900 Baht
  • M-Bike Enduro 49,000 Baht

Prices are inclusive basic insurance, Greenbook, Plates, a helmet and a jacket if paying cash. They also had the Keeway Cruisers "Superlight200" and "Dorado" there, but i didn't asked about the prices.

I made a short test drive around the corners with the RKV200. Now i know why Familyonthemove has described it as "it feels like a diesel". The bike has a nice low end torque. But it doesn't feel very lively. This may be caused by the small, cheap looking carb. If the engine ever brakes down this sure will not be caused by too many "power explosions". The sound is great for such small bike. It sounds like having an aftermarket exhaust.

After comparing TXM200, RKV200 and M-Bike Enduro in my opinion the RKV200 is the best value for money Keeway offers at the moment. It has a nice look, nice features like gear indicator and adjustable brake lever. The overall finish is OK for this price in my opinion, but of course we will have to wait a while if this will be given proof over the time. So the only reason why i hasitate buying this bike is the lack of power/highspeed for touring. It would be a nice city bike but it has no rack on the back to fit a top box for shopping. But maybe its possible to use the mounting points for the pillion handgrips to install some "self made" rack.

Edited by wantan

I visited a regular SYM and Keeway showroom in Bangkok on Saturday. They have the following bikes:

• Keeway TXM200 61,900 Baht
  • Keeway RKV200 59,900 Baht
  • M-Bike Enduro 49,000 Baht

Prices are inclusive basic insurance, Greenbook, Plates, a helmet and a jacket if paying cash. They also had the Keeway Cruisers "Superlight200" and "Dorado" there, but i didn't asked about the prices.

I made a short test drive around the corners with the RKV200. Now i know why Familyonthemove has described it as "it feels like a diesel". The bike has a nice low end torque. But it doesn't feel very lively. This may be caused by the small, cheap looking carb. If the engine ever brakes down this sure will not be caused by too many "power explosions". The sound is great for such small bike. It sounds like having an aftermarket exhaust.

After comparing TXM200, RKV200 and M-Bike Enduro in my opinion the RKV200 is the best value for money Keeway offers at the moment. It has a nice look, nice features like gear indicator and adjustable brake lever. The overall finish is OK for this price in my opinion, but of course we will have to wait a while if this will be given proof over the time. So the only reason why i hasitate buying this bike is the lack of power/highspeed for touring. It would be a nice city bike but it has no rack on the back to fit a top box for shopping. But maybe its possible to use the mounting points for the pillion handgrips to install some "self made" rack.

Shad a Spanish manufacturer of top boxes make a rack for the RKV.

I doubt it's available in Thailand but here is a picture of how it fit's,

Just thought it may help with ideas if anyone want's to get something made up.

post-157348-0-31670500-1339335663_thumb.

Shad a Spanish manufacturer of top boxes make a rack for the RKV.

I doubt it's available in Thailand but here is a picture of how it fit's,

Just thought it may help with ideas if anyone want's to get something made up.

Here a picture how the Shad top box looks:

a_shad2265.jpg

There seems to be a plastic plate between the rack and the box. There is also a PDF-File with technical details for the Shad-Top-Box-Rack available on the Shad-Website.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Shad topboxes are readily available in Bangkok. The plastic plate comes with the box and enables the release / locking mechanism. I suspect that given enough time a local dealer would import the rack for you. Add the rack / box and a tankbag for a nice looking budget touring rig.I'm tempted ...

Edited by ThunderDuck

Shad topboxes are readily available in Bangkok. The plastic plate comes with the box and enables the release / locking mechanism. I suspect that given enough time a local dealer would import the rack for you. Add the rack / box and a tankbag for a nice looking budget touring rig.I'm tempted ...

So they are at Dr Bike

http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/store/product/SHAD_box..-616042-en.html

So they are at Dr Bike

http://www.dr-bikeba...-616042-en.html

Chock chai 4, Ladpraow

post-157348-0-27558500-1339409978_thumb.

familyonthemove, thanks for your insightful posts about the bike. I appreciate it and what a pity you do not own a cbr250 as that thread should be more meaningful then.

Even though, i do not get close to that bike - not less than 100 meters haha - i still respect your courage on buying it, commenting about it and riding it especially long distances.

But, anyone interested on buying it for 62.000 thb might pay 20.000 thb more and can get a second hand cbr250 in good condition nowadays or little bit more and a brand new cbr150 fuel injection with nice design, better tech and good resale.

just my opinion still i respect any bike in this world, they give us the wings.biggrin.png

Edited by loserlazer

Saw a Keeway TX200 last month parked at Horizon Resort while taking the family there for some R&R, build quality looked decent enough albeit the boring design. It still looked good though, at a distance it looked like a European-made bike.

familyonthemove, thanks for your insightful posts about the bike. I appreciate it and what a pity you do not own a cbr250 as that thread should be more meaningful then.

Even though, i do not get close to that bike - not less than 100 meters haha - i still respect your courage on buying it, commenting about it and riding it especially long distances.

But, anyone interested on buying it for 62.000 thb might pay 20.000 thb more and can get a second hand cbr250 in good condition nowadays or little bit more and a brand new cbr150 fuel injection with nice design, better tech and good resale.

just my opinion still i respect any bike in this world, they give us the wings.biggrin.png

Great one Loser......clap2.gif

Don't let anyone ever say your posts are one-dimensional.

Edited by LucidLucifer
  • Like 2

thanks lucy for your appreciation on my multi dimensional posts. Never think that i am prejudiced just little bit direct to the point and in times, i also criticize my own bike.

Actually, yesterday, i have seen a guy next to me at he lights on keeway 200 and it looks better that i expected and does not look like a low quality bike. Looks more up scale than Tiger for sure.

Still, i approach with caution.

I'm guessing first service at 1000km?

How frequent are the service intervals after that?

Looking forward to the update I really like the look of this bike.

Service interval is every 4000 Km after the first 1000 Km service.

Good stuff Family. Thanks for taking the time for the write-up and for following through with your updates. Reviews like this are invaluable when it's a new bike (and especially a newish brand) to the market. Ride safe,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have had the bike for a month now. Very satisfied with everything except top speed. No more than 115 km /h on flat road, but it's not a big problem. If I need more speed I can change the carburetor at the dealer for 2000 bath, and still retain the warranty. That will give me mabe 120 - 125 km/h?

Purchased in Mukdahan for 59,400 bath. Insurance, and the greenbook is included.

Perfect to run between the towns here in the north.

Cruising usually around 100 - 105 km/h, and this is a perfect speed for the bike. But miss some extra power when accelerating from 100 -110

Had it for a month, and already driven 1000 km.... :-)

• Like 1

Have had the bike for a month now. Very satisfied with everything except top speed. No more than 115 km /h on flat road, but it's not a big problem. If I need more speed I can change the carburetor at the dealer for 2000 bath, and still retain the warranty. That will give me mabe 120 - 125 km/h?

Purchased in Mukdahan for 59,400 bath. Insurance, and the greenbook is included.

Perfect to run between the towns here in the north.

Cruising usually around 100 - 105 km/h, and this is a perfect speed for the bike. But miss some extra power when accelerating from 100 -110

Had it for a month, and already driven 1000 km.... :-)

Did you buy it from Mordang big place with the ant on the roof on highway 212 near the bus station?

Is it Mordang offering the carburetor mod?

If yes to the above how did you find them to deal with because that's who I'm thinking of buying from.

yes, I bought the bike at Modeang Mukdahan. Pleased with the service I get there.

It`s also Modeang that could replace the carburetor, without the guarantee was destroyed.

2000 for a good one, and 600 bath for a chinese...

Also stopped by two times for some small adjustments, and every time they helped me for free.

BUT! This bike is NOT a suzuki, kawasaki or Yamaha. They cost looooooots of bath extra, and the quality is better.

It`s a Keeway, cheap bike, lower quality BUT perfect for me :-)

yes, I bought the bike at Modeang Mukdahan. Pleased with the service I get there.

It`s also Modeang that could replace the carburetor, without the guarantee was destroyed.

2000 for a good one, and 600 bath for a chinese...

Also stopped by two times for some small adjustments, and every time they helped me for free.

BUT! This bike is NOT a suzuki, kawasaki or Yamaha. They cost looooooots of bath extra, and the quality is better.

It`s a Keeway, cheap bike, lower quality BUT perfect for me :-)

What color did you buy?

When you see a new red one in town at the beginning of November it's me.

Flash you light's and we'll go for a beersmile.png

If it's parked outside the Picking cowboy come in for a beer smile.png

In the meantime if you find anywhere in Mukdahan that makes a rear rack for them could you please

PM me the address?

Quick update on mine ....

Just back from an extended business trip - so had not touched the bike for 4 weeks. Washed the dust off it and it started first prod of the starter - which is better than my Nouvo could manage after sitting for less than a week. Another trip planned for this weekend.