Are The Russians Getting A Free Ride.....

CiaranO

I know a Russian girl tourguide in Pattaya...she has to jump through the same hoops as everybody else--visa runs, etc. No special treatment for her. It's just that Russian tour guides are more in demand as most Thais don't speak russian.

Hi Submaniac, haven't seen you for a while; forum has been relatively quiet and orderly recently........tongue.png

If your Russian tourguide was legit why would she have to do visa runs, as her work permit wouldn't require her to do so? Just an observation, not a criticism! Live and let live.

As a matter of interest (I really don't know) is it compulsory to have Thai guides attached to these package tours?

Only askin'

i know quite a few people who are legit (with work permits) that need to do visa runs, it is largely dependent on the amount of tax you pay and your income bracket.

Edited by nocturn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a Russian girl tourguide in Pattaya...she has to jump through the same hoops as everybody else--visa runs, etc. No special treatment for her. It's just that Russian tour guides are more in demand as most Thais don't speak russian.

Hi Submaniac, haven't seen you for a while; forum has been relatively quiet and orderly recently........tongue.png

If your Russian tourguide was legit why would she have to do visa runs, as her work permit wouldn't require her to do so? Just an observation, not a criticism! Live and let live.

To the OP, again no criticism against his/her observations, you might want to look closer to home as to who is abusing the system more here, tour guides or the education establishment. I see schools employing "teachers" without issuing work permits, I have seen "teachers" degrees with Mickey Mouse (I sh1t you not) incorporated in the coat of arms/logo of the degree and have met "teachers" with stories of prison time which would impress most people, if not involved wiith education.

Dog eat dog! It runs across the board in this country.

As a matter of interest (I really don't know) is it compulsory to have Thai guides attached to these package tours?

Only askin'

Chris,

My gf is a tourguide and she worked with Russians, Koreans, Thais, Indian, ect. It is mandatory and often checked too. Its a nice money maker for the police if they catch them without. Even with a Thai guide witht hem they can still get caught. But the thing is if certain people are paid then there wont be any checks.

Only askin'

i know quite a few people who are legit (with work permits) that need to do visa runs, it is largely dependent on the amount of tax you pay and your income bracket.

Would a tour guide operator (any nationality) fall into that bracket? Seriously, just curious.

To the OP, again no criticism against his/her observations, you might want to look closer to home as to who is abusing the system more here, tour guides or the education establishment. I see schools employing "teachers" without issuing work permits, I have seen "teachers" degrees with Mickey Mouse (I sh1t you not) incorporated in the coat of arms/logo of the degree and have met "teachers" with stories of prison time which would impress most people, if not involved wiith education.

Dog eat dog! It runs across the board in this country.

Only askin'

Chris,

My gf is a tourguide and she worked with Russians, Koreans, Thais, Indian, ect. It is mandatory and often checked too. Its a nice money maker for the police if they catch them without. Even with a Thai guide witht hem they can still get caught. But the thing is if certain people are paid then there wont be any checks.

Cheers for the clarification Rob. It wasn't a dig at them, I was just curious

Back to the topic, if it wasn't for so-called Russian tour guides, there wouldn't be so many Russians coming to Thailand, I've noticed most of them don't speak any English. They buy an all-inclusive package (hotel room and all the sight seengs) and go with a group. Does anyone really thinks that a Thai who can say "Privet, kak dela?" can lead that group around the country? OP, think about it this way: you think you know your way around Thailand cuz you've been here many times and you agreed to give your buddies a tour around to show them all the fine places, someone comes to you and say that you have to <deleted> off and let a Thai do it, what would you think? Yes they're getting paid for being guides but that's because nobody can rea;;ly speak the Russain except for Russain nationals.

You are not allowed to work in Thailand without a work permit. They are taking Thai jobs and breaking the law.

How is this different from our resident "English teachers"....one assumes the average russian tour guide can actually speak Russian, unlike the averge "English teacher" in Thailand who struggles to put together two coherant sentences in English.....I am all for even application of the Law...boot out Russian tour guides without WP...boot out English teachers without WP as well....thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Only askin'

Extension of stay based on employment is mainly based on income per your nationality....if you dont meet the requirements your visa running every 90 days....just because someone visa runs, doesn mean they dont have a WP, it just means they dont qualify for extension of stay

My OP may have come across wrong and the word annoy may have been wrong too. I am more concerned for them than anything else. The girl I saw with the tour group yesterday was young.....and had all the badges that another poster had referred too and more than likely doesn't know the consequences for what she is doing. Eventually the Thai owned tour companies will wise up to this and I have recently noticed an upsurge in Thai Russian teachers and I am sure it wont be long before the we will see plenty of Thai Russian tour guides.....because this is obviously where the money is and going to be in the future. Whether we like it or not the Russians are here to stay for the long term. I personally have no problem with Russian people as long as they behave themselves when they are out and about. But that should apply to everyone.

Russian menus, signs etc.............its all part and parcel of people accommodating a large tourist population that is now visiting Thailand. As I said in a previous post Hotels are how hiring Russian teachers part time to teach to there staff. I also mentioned that the staff have no interest in learning Russian because they have spent years learning English for the English speaking world of tourists. From my experience and talking with fellow colleagues at work , Russian people are not liked here. They come across as rude and obnoxious. But that is purely a cultural difference and mostly a language barrier. When Russian people are not understood they tend to think by shouting louder in their language it is easier understood. And to a Thai hotel worker that is seen as some crazy guy shouting at them lol......

I recall seeing a Russian tour party at the Crocodile Farm a few months ago when I took some visiting friends there ...

But TIT as they say....

Hi there Mobi ... haven't see you around for a while ... been on holidays?

Agreeing with Chrisinth ... ditto submaniac ... eek misses you terribly ... thumbsup.gif

Is there something you lot would like to share with the rest of the TV members...whistling.gif

You may have missed the fact that English is the world language. The Thais that I have spoken to also dislike these rude, loud and offensive Russians that generally spend no money other than in 7/11s. They take their own food and drink into bars and restaurants and think that that is OK.

The Thais are very good at telling everyone what they see you want to hear.

They are happy to put up with boorish cheapskates if the alternative is doing without - the number of tourists from English-speaking countries is a tiny fraction of the total now, and likely to continue to fall.

Sure English is the lowest common denominator, but those Thais that put resources into being friendly and accessible to the Russians - who hate the fact that English is currently the world language - will do better than those that alienate any potential market.

The Thais that I have spoken to also dislike these rude, loud and offensive Russians that generally spend no money other than in 7/11s. They take their own food and drink into bars and restaurants and think that that is OK. Your arguments are nonsensical and you are obviously trolling.

And the Thai's I know have made the same comments about the cheap charlie, football shirt wearing, balded headed, tattooed, louts that come on holiday from the UK....so whats your point...

I suspect the average western farang in Thailand is frightened of the Russian invasion simply because they expect the cost of the bar fines is going to go up, as is the price of beer at the 7/11 and their pensions will not stretch that far...

I have a number of Russian guys who I work with and you wouldnt meet nicer guys anywhere....Although I am not Russian, this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

There is an old blues song with title..."before you accuse me, take a look at yourself".....think this applies in this case

The Thais that I have spoken to also dislike these rude, loud and offensive Russians that generally spend no money other than in 7/11s. They take their own food and drink into bars and restaurants and think that that is OK. Your arguments are nonsensical and you are obviously trolling.

And the Thai's I know have made the same comments about the cheap charlie, football shirt wearing, balded headed, tattooed, louts that come on holiday from the UK....so whats your point...

I suspect the average western farang in Thailand is frightened of the Russian invasion simply because they expect the cost of the bar fines is going to go up, as is the price of beer at the 7/11 and their pensions will not stretch that far...

I have a number of Russian guys who I work with and you wouldnt meet nicer guys anywhere....Although I am not Russian, this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

There is an old blues song with title..."before you accuse me, take a look at yourself".....think this applies in this case

Well my suggestion good sir is that if the post offends you in the way that it does..... don't read it and find something else to read......I believe there is a good thread running on Manchester United. Hopefully you wont find that too offensive.

As for me.....well you couldn't be more wrong......but hey I don't have to defend myself to you....now do I.

The great thing about TV forum is there is great people out here who really have interesting things to say. Of course the opposite also applies here too. But hey you take the good with the bad right??

Well my suggestion good sir is that if the post offends you in the way that it does..... don't read it and find something else to read......I believe there is a good thread running on Manchester United. Hopefully you wont find that too offensive.

As for me.....well you couldn't be more wrong......but hey I don't have to defend myself to you....now do I.

The great thing about TV forum is there is great people out here who really have interesting things to say. Of course the opposite also applies here too. But hey you take the good with the bad right??

WOW 24 hours on TV...and the OP is playing wannbe mod...whistling.gif ....congrats

I was actually responding to "bangkokrick" post...Am I permitted to comment all powerful Arjan..?

• Like 1

Well if we are talking the rights or wrongs of Russians - or of any non-Thai nationality for that matter - working openly in a job that is supposed to be reserved for Thais , then IMHO, that is a legitimate debate.

We all have our likes and dislikes for different nationalities, be they Yanks, Poms , Aussies, Russkis or whatever, but discussion and dissemination of such prejudices, IMHO, has no place in this forum.

So why turn this debate into a Russki bashing thread?

But back to the topic; I see little difference in the authorities turning a blind eye to teachers working without permits, (as it is beneficial to the country), and tour guides working without a permit, as that too benefits the country financially, and will, indirectly, provide more jobs in the tourist sector than it takes away.

But I fear these young lads and lasses from Russia will soon feel the strong arm of the law leading them where they have no desire to go...

• Like 1

Well if we are talking the rights or wrongs of Russians - or of any non-Thai nationality for that matter - working openly in a job that is supposed to be reserved for Thais , then IMHO, that is a legitimate debate.

We all have our likes and dislikes for different nationalities, be they Yanks, Poms , Aussies, Russkis or whatever, but discussion and dissemination of such prejudices, IMHO, has no place in this forum.

So why turn this debate into a Russki bashing thread?

But back to the topic; I see little difference in the authorities turning a blind eye to teachers working without permits, (as it is beneficial to the country), and tour guides working without a permit, as that too benefits the country financially, and will, indirectly, provide more jobs in the tourist sector than it takes away.

But I fear these young lads and lasses from Russia will soon feel the strong arm of the law leading them where they have no desire to go...

When I originally posted this topic it was meant to be so we could have a discussion about it and my hope would be that people who have an insight into why and how it happens and who is pulling the strings as such. In no way was it intended to be a Russia bashing thread as such.

You bring up good points. Yes the authorities do turn a blind eye to things that are beneficial to Thailand. Irs not just done here but done all over the world.

Only askin'

Would a tour guide operator (any nationality) fall into that bracket? Seriously, just curious.

no, but i do know of a small group of work permitted russians who provide many such assistance services for their fellows out of a bar they own and operate legitimately. likewise, many foreigners in the dive industry here in thailand that are working legitimately are work permitted and make regular visa runs

Edited by nocturn

It just annoys me that people get away with this.....when so many of us have to bend over backwards to live a legitimate life and keep our papers in order.

This attitude has no place in Thailand IMHO. Do you constantly walk around pissed off, thinking "Why is that guy not wearing a crash helmet?", "Why is that store selling alcohol during prohibited hours?", "Why is this shop willing waive VAT"...

If you wanted Big Brother nanny state constantly crawling up everyone's ass...might be best to board a plane.

You have chosen the security of doing things the right way; others haven't... you made your choice, they made theirs.

No need to be so flippant. The guy has a point the Russians are running ragged the immigration and business laws. I see it daily in Pattaya, but nothing will happen because as we all know. Money talks!

I'm sure that sharing your nationality with a ruthless and politically well-connectd global mafia which has chosen to launder a sizeable chunk of it's proceeds in some seaside cities conveniently chock full of high-cash-turnover businesses in a country with weak governance and convenient visa-free arrangements probably helps . . . . if you decide to live and/or do business in said cities of said country.

Edited by Trembly

Sounds to me if he does report this to the authorities then no Russian tour guides means no Russian tours which in turn results in lost revenue for his employer. I'm sure that will go down well???

this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

What is with your obsession with "splay toes"? Does it have to do with the Chinese tradition of binding feet to make them more attractive? Or do you prefer women that have been wearing shoes through their childhood?

Clear enough you look down on people from the Isaan - which Thai regions/ethnic groups do you feel are preferable - or is recent-immigrant Chinese only acceptable?

Also, do you consider 23 to be over the hill even for us old fellows?

Not taking the piss, honestly curious what this phrase signifies to you. . .

this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

What is with your obsession with "splay toes"? Does it have to do with the Chinese tradition of binding feet to make them more attractive? Or do you prefer women that have been wearing shoes through their childhood?

Clear enough you look down on people from the Isaan - which Thai regions/ethnic groups do you feel are preferable - or is recent-immigrant Chinese only acceptable?

Perhaps he has a hidden fetish for ducks. giggle.gif

Ran into a couple of Russian in Pattayas Irish pub on the weekend, mid 20s and somewhat drunk one was a mad Juventus fan and watching juv play on the next LCD, we managed to chat, turns out they were here just for a short stay and from Siberia...he tells me they broke the aircon in there hotel....i said what have you set to...he said 16 deg....killed me...

Ran into a couple of Russian in Pattayas Irish pub on the weekend, mid 20s and somewhat drunk one was a mad Juventus fan and watching juv play on the next LCD, we managed to chat, turns out they were here just for a short stay and from Siberia...he tells me they broke the aircon in there hotel....i said what have you set to...he said 16 deg....killed me...

Should have told him to try not wearing the fur hat. blink.png

May I kindly suggest the next time you find yourself with some free time from 'teaching' you brush up on your English spelling.whistling.gif

using there (their) new language skills...............and Im guessing ( i am guessing) But he does have a point with all Russian bus crew.

May I kindly suggest the next time you find yourself with some free time from 'teaching' you brush up on your English spelling.whistling.gif

Well 4 posts in and the English Nazi's kick off well done thumbsup.gif

To the OP, if you feel so strongly about this issue may I humbly suggest you do your civic duty and report these despicable criminals to immigration and DOL without delay, if you are not prepared to do this and they are not affecting you personally...stop bleating....biggrin.png

Maybe he is a criminal, teaching this standard of English to pupils, it is really, no mean thing !

Interesting posts so far.....lovelaos...my spelling ????????? If my spelling is not 100% my apologies and as for paragraphing well its not so easy while on the staff bus and a blackberry in hand. Its amazing that people cant come on here and have a conversation about a topic. If you don't have anything interesting to say well then don't.........

I was merely making a point that crosses many peoples minds. Its terrible to think because I have an opinion about something I should get back on the plane and go home. Are opinions not allowed in LOS or on the forum??????

Ignore the Good English police, they are actually breaking a forum rule by bringing up your misspelling.

Lovelaos you're a very naughty boy mellow.png

Feel free to state any opinion you like, don't let facts get in the way of a good opinion. Just let it all out and we'll all have a good fight about it then go get a beer and fulminate about things. drunk.gif

Welcome to Thaivisa welcomeani.gif

When an average 'joe' comes on and makes a spelling or grammar mistake, fair enough just read around it. But when a person claiming to be an English teacher makes the same mistakes, then it is unforgivable as he/she obviously has no idea of this mistake and then teaches it to others. Then it is bad !

Been too busy to go on board lately...glad SOMEONE misses me. :P

Never said she was "legit"...but just saying Russians are in the same boat as the other Falang...skirting the immigration laws to stay and work in the country. :)

Because I came to Thailand to live with Thais not Russians. All the signs, menu's and even TV channels showing are now in Russian. If I had have wanted this I would have moved to Moscow. Russian is not the world language.

Do you have some personal issues with Russians or something? Did you ever think about why menues are in English in pretty much every country you go to? Maybe it's because so many visitors of that country speak English? Maybe Pattaya and Phuket have their menues in Russian because there are so many Russian tourists that it's worth making a Russian verion of their menue to benefit their businesses from all the Russian tourists? You don't read anyone bitching about having English menues and signs in Thailand, can you read Thai? I bet you can't so how does English is right and Russian is wrong? A simple answer for you - go back where you came from to your English ONLY country and stop bitchin'.

I have the right to my opinion and just because it is not the same as yours does not make it wrong. What has it got to do with you whether I read Thai or not and also what right do you have to decide where I stay. I have been in Thailand for many years and have no intention of leaving. I just find it distasteful that the Russian language signage is spoiling the Eastern seaboard. Can't wait for the influx of Chinese then at least we can have Asian language signs.

WOW 24 hours on TV...and the OP is playing wannbe mod...whistling.gif ....congrats

I was actually responding to "bangkokrick" post...Am I permitted to comment all powerful Arjan..?

Maybe some, but I am not a pensioner I don't pay bar fines and I don't drink in 7/11's. Interesting point though. Lets imagine that the Russians target Paris for their next tourist destination. Will the French rewrite the signs, menu's etc in Russian. I very much doubt it, so why do the Thais.

so why do the Thais.

do you need to ask that question ?....As we all know...money is god in Thailand, therefore they will do what is required to extract the maximum amount of cash out of those people, if it means putting signs up in Russian so be it

Its all about marketing, it is percieved that russian tourists are going to bring vast amounts of money.

But you are right about the French, they hate everyone...they dont even write things in English in Paris

Edited by Soutpeel

.....that's because nobody can rea;;ly speak the Russain except for Russain nationals.

Correction: ... that's because nobody really wants to speak the Russain except for Russain nationals

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Actually no ... ALL the ex - USSR speak Russian, weather they like it or not … правда

biggrin.png

^^Good to see they are blending in well with the other farang in Thailand then. thumbsup.gif

The Russians have enjoyed Laos visa free for some years now.

Russian tourism is on the up in Laos and they of course will blend in well with the westerner and the Lao fraternity very well.

Of course being visa free the Russian is considered a cut above the westernerbiggrin.png

• Like 1