Finally Here!

Hi guys,

Ive finally made it over here for the next year, the one year ausie working holiday visa went through great and now all I have to do is report every 90 days.

Could some one be kind enough to let me know where I do this reporting?

Im staying in Lamai and I am currently hunting around for a unit/apartment in the area and also a cheap car so if anyone has any leads it would be very much apriciated.

Oh and if any Lamai locals could let me in on the best priced places to eat that would be fantastic!

The immigration office is in Nathon.

Coming from Lamai clockwise on the ring road - head to Nathon. There is a set of traffic lights for the Donsak ferry terminal (Lippa Noi) then there is a set of traffic lights for the government hopital. (I am sure tha there are other traffic lights - but these were the main ones when I last travelled afar!)

Turn left toward the government hospital and the first building on the left is immigration.

Advice - for a quicker response - dress smart.

I tried that a couple of weeks ago Itishothere but didn't get many replies/leads :-(

I'm looking around Lamai a bit back from the beach around ultra bodies gym or tescos.

2 bed, furnished, kitchen, 10000-13000b a month or less if possible?

(shared pool would be a big bonus)

Thanks for the welcome Itishothere.

Gusg it's deffinatly available to Aussies and I'm 90% sure kiwis too.

You need to have done some type of consistent study for 3 consecutive years tafe/uni.

Then just $225 for a one year multi entry visa no need to leave the country just need to report to your Local immigration office every 90 days.

The Thai consulate web site has more details but all they need is the fee, your study transcripts or certificate, passport, doc letter saying your fit to travel, chest x-ray, aplication forms from the web site and 4 passport size photos.

I have herd this can be renewed for another year when it expires but I still need to check with immigration.

Hope that helps mate

Then just $225 for a one year multi entry visa no need to leave the country just need to report to your Local immigration office every 90 days.

If it's a multiple entry visa you will have to make a border run every 90 days.

90 day reporting is for retirement O-A visa that gives you one year on entry, or if you have got 1 year extension of stay from immigrations based on Thai family or retirement.

Check your entry stamp, that's says until what date you are allowed to stay in Thailand.

Welome to Samui dr180 from a fellow Aussie!

We're pretty much where you want to be - about a five minute warm up jog to Ultra-Bodies - in a house you describe, and are paying 13,000 per month, but we have no pool. I doubt you'll find a pool where you want for that price. Unfortunately, in the past seven months that we've been here, the price has slowly crept up for newcomers and is now around 16,000. You might be able to get a reduction for a longer term. PM me if you want to have a look...

As for food, there are a heap of good cheap places we go to on a regular basis, as well as some not-so-cheap-but-good. Everyone's tastes and budgets vary though - what sort of food are you looking for?

Hey poorsucker,

Exit stamp is 29/4/13 I don't need to leave just report, I asked the customs officers and they confirmed.

And under entry on the visa it has an M It's definately a multiple you can check on the Sydney or Canberra Thai consulate web sites.

These visas are only available to Australians and new zealanders.

Cheers

Hey Jamesbrock,

Thought there might be a few Australians around :-)

That would be great I will pm you.

As for food were not real picky just looking for healthy well priced places we have gone to some small local places and larger spots like "will wait"

Paying around 80-120b a meal.

Mainly looking for a couple of stand out places in the area to give a try

Thanks mate

Hey poorsucker,

Exit stamp is 29/4/13 I don't need to leave just report, I asked the customs officers and they confirmed.

And under entry on the visa it has an M It's definately a multiple you can check on the Sydney or Canberra Thai consulate web sites.

These visas are only available to Australians and new zealanders.

Cheers

It's a multiple entry that gives you one year permission to stay, you can utilize the visa for two years.

Just make a border run on the last day of visa validity and you will get one more year permission to stay.

During that year make sure to get a re-entry permit if you leave the country to have your stay alive.

Cost 1000 for single entry, 3800 for multiple re-entry permit.

Welcome.

Dr180, Just about any Thai restaurant will charge similar prices around 60-80 baht for your typical Thai dish. The stalls near the boxing ring are good value when they are open (not entirely sure of the opening hours). For western food, Gow + Badgers on the T-road (opposite Extra Time bar) is very popular with expats.

I eat at the Outback Bar a lot. It's not the cheapest but it's good for people watching and to meet other Aussies. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by ydraw

Dr180, Just about any Thai restaurant will charge similar prices around 60-80 baht for your typical Thai dish. The stalls near the boxing ring are good value when they are open (not entirely sure of the opening hours). For western food, Gow + Badgers on the T-road (opposite Extra Time bar) is very popular with expats.

I eat at the Outback Bar a lot. It's not the cheapest but it's good for people watching and to meet other Aussies. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Stalls next to the boxing ring open up around dusk and remain open until around 2am. Good food and great value though you need to get there before 10pm or so to get the best selection. During the day I would go to the food market just down the road from Tesco's toward the beach. Opposite family mart. Not advised unless you can manage 'real' Thai food.

Don't eat that much at The Outback these days because I can't consume the volume of food. The owner 'Bart' makes his own snags which are seriously good. All their western food is great but I just can't eat that much. Thai food there is standard tourist stuff, I hear it's good but I only eat the real deal stuff like at the market I mentioned.

Tropicana in my mind does the best pizza at around 250-300 Baht. I also hear they do a superb steak but 500 Baht is a bit much given that Lamai Wanta on the beach down from The Outback does a fillet for under 300. Swiss Chalet does a dam_n good Aussie T-bone for 560 as I remember.

SalaThai is fine if you want to spend lots of money on tourist Thai food but Black Diamond does the same for half the price.

Thanks ydraw and notmyself for taking the time to respond.

I will definitely check your recommendations out!

Cheers

Welcome. Samui as a whole seems to be blessed with some very good places to eat. Not been to Sweeny Todd's as yet but I don't think I have ever read a bad review of their food. Plenty of what I would call 'foodies' post on the Samui forum so just put a question out if you fancy a certain thing.

Welcome.

Try Barrio Latino's in Lamai, beside boxing. Great food.

An extensive report can be found here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/538303-2012-all-food-relatedrestaurantsrecipes-suggestions-etc-best-pizza-hamburgerthai-food-seafoodeuropean-food/ post 67

Just remember that you are not going to get in any way traditional Latino food for exactly the same reason you will not find traditional Thai food in any of the restraunts along the strip, I'll put up with food which has a lack of depth of flavour when eating Mexican here for example because there is no market for it. I will not however put up with the Thai slop served along the strip because I can just walk around the corner and get the real deal stuff. French, German, Italian food is another matter as there is a market for the traditional. Seen any Mexicans for example here?

This causes problems when I have friends come to visit, they can't eat the real Thai food and I refuse to eat the stuff sold in the tourist restaurants on the strip.