How Difficult Is It To Import A Shotgun Into Thailand?

inquisitive

get a shotgun........one of the most distintive sounds is some rackking(using the slide to put one in the chamber) a shotgun...most of the time that sound alone will get them running and telling all the lowlife friends about it...

most 7/11s as well as mom and pop stores sell these shotguns. they will also let you try out the various 'distintive' (sic!) sounds. and all the guns come with half a dozen signs for your gate and fence "you and your lowlife friends better beware!"

• Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the laws have relaxed due to a unilateral agreement. One piece carefully concealed in hand luggage. No documentation required. thumbsup.gif

Does that mean:

- If you hold a gun licence in US it also covers Thailand?

- By a unilateral agreement there are different laws, about gun ownership, for US folks in Thailand compared to non US folks in Thailand?

By the way, your friend needs to check further about 'citizenship'. Gaining Thai citizenship is a whole different ballgame to gaining citizenship in US or any other country.

It's difficult, the policies / requirments, the Thai thinking about this subject is a world apart from US.

The total number of foreigners (any foreigners) who hold Thai citizenship / Thai passport is very very small. The total number of foreigners who hold permanent resident status is not large, holding Thai passport even less.

Being married to a Thai lady does NOT of itself bring Thai citizenship to the foreign husband, regardless of where the foreign husband hails from.

At the start of the Thaivisa website there is a large amount of good and focused information on this subject.

Edited by scorecard

Hi

Something I have considered before ,

I would maybe suggest going to the firing range and surly there will be a gun club resident there

And plenty of experts there who could led your friend in the right direction

Not sure where your friend is located ,there is a firing range just outside pattaya ,seems very professional about how they shoot

If I could be as bold to advise for this forum

Ask if there is a local gun club near the area ,if any of TV members are regular visitors at it ,

Then bring up the importing of the gun when your dealing with the knowledged members

That way you can delete a lot of the gimps on here who wanna waste your time with silly answers

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

It's not impossible for your pal to get a licence. difficult, yes.

If he is married the wife can get one easily.

With the licence in hand you would be able to import, though you would probabaly need a local gun dealer to do this for you.

Something like 200% duty and 40% vat I think...it will be very expensive.

You can get a mossberg pump for about 30k and a 9mm for around 70k, trying to bring in your own is not going to be cheaper than that.

its not "very" expensive if you just need to have a gun in the house for safety

(just get your thai wife to put it in her name )

i know a few ex-pats with guns who did it this way ,but personally ,i dont want one in my house

if i need to kill a burger ,well ,theres more than one way to skin a cat biggrin.png

what have you got against burgers ? maybe you just haven't tried a good one yet. you should try a whopper or the new chicken one at mc'd's for only 39 baht. if you're not a meat person the mcfish is tasty also. give them a chance.

• Like 1

get a shotgun........one of the most distintive sounds is some rackking(using the slide to put one in the chamber) a shotgun...most of the time that sound alone will get them running and telling all the lowlife friends about it...

most 7/11s as well as mom and pop stores sell these shotguns. they will also let you try out the various 'distintive' (sic!) sounds. and all the guns come with half a dozen signs for your gate and fence "you and your lowlife friends better beware!"

I suspect "Joey88" has been watching too much "Die Hard" or "Rambo" over the weekend....thumbsup.gif

I also note, the various Ex-SAS or Navy seal types are out giving firearm advice as well...whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Hi

I would maybe suggest going to the firing range and surly there will be a gun club resident there

Not sure where your friend is located ,there is a firing range just outside pattaya ,seems very professional about how they shoot

Ask if there is a local gun club near the area ,if any of TV members are regular visitors at it ,

Then bring up the importing of the gun when your dealing with the knowledged members

That way you can delete a lot of the gimps on here who wanna waste your time with silly answers

Regards

Steve

You believe every country has gun clubs?

I suspect "Joey88" has been watching too much "Die Hard" or "Rambo" over the weekend....thumbsup.gif

I also note, the various Ex-SAS or Navy seal types are out giving firearm advice as well...whistling.gif

I was an international lock. If the bottom of a scrum crowded with filthy eye gouging Saffas isn't the place to learn about self defense I don't know where is..

its easier to take a shot gun or a rifle off someone at close range than a handgun ,shot gun wil be fine for a man to use

but it might be a bit much for a lady

i think modern semi autos are the way to go,i dont think they are unreliable but of course a revolver is more simple ,id get one (semi-auto) with a silencer so i could shoot the burglar without waking up everybody

You need help w00t.gif

Never heard about the taurus judge revolver before. It seems that this revolver is capable of shooting five, 410 slugs. That could be one bad boy.

You would load 00 buck. if you wanted a slug you would just shoot the .45's.

Inquisitive, Do a search on Google for Bangkok gun shops and you should find a article by CNNGo dated 2 Jan 2012 . That article will help you with info on owning a firearm in Thailand and cost etc. It might help with cost of importing but I think it will be a lot simpler if you apply here and purchase here if approved.

Hi

Regards

Steve

i belive most would

a simple google search would help you find one in Thailand

"He'll be staying under a retirement visa, though he is thinking of marrying his Thai girlfriend which could end up with him having actual citizenship."\

His best form of defence is;

1) Not to marry the bar girl / don't retire to Pattaya.

2) If he does, do not have lethal weapons in the house; make her work a bit and at least get her BF to bring one with him.

3) Stop thinking that he will have a chance to "pull his piece" when 3-4 somchais are doing his place over.

4) Take it for granted that if he did manage to get his gun out, they will get theirs out and shoot him before he's found the safety off switch.

I was thinking about shooting clays yesterday missing this from the UK. I quickly decided though that any activity that brought me into close contact with Thais and Guns was not something I wanted to be involved in.

• Like 2

Its always a friend that has these questions isn't it.

Nope. Sometimes it's a jerk that I hate, but for those guys I don't bother asking. But I bet you're so smart you alread figured that out and just wanted to appear clever to your friends by posting such a pointless and unhelpful statement. eh? Don't you just feel the fool now?

I thought his comment was quite valid.

So how are you going to ship it ??

• Like 1

Hi

Regards

Steve

i belive most would

a simple google search would help you find one in Thailand

In Pattaya we have a shooting range called the Tiffany Shooting Range, located at the ladyboy cabaret theatre. It might mitigate whatever macho feelings one has when playing with big guns?

I was thinking about shooting clays yesterday missing this from the UK. I quickly decided though that any activity that brought me into close contact with Thais and Guns was not something I wanted to be involved in.

Which minority group is that a nick name for ??

A terribly pressed on group. They have to live in boxes with 39 other, are black or orange, and the first time they see daylight is when they sit in line on a big sling which fires them into the air to get shot.

I'm not quite sure if you are accusing me of being a racist, or if you are so horrendously hideously racist that you would find it funny to shoot anyone on the basis of the colour of their skin. ermm.gif

I'm not quite sure if you are accusing me of being a racist, or if you are so horrendously hideously racist that you would find it funny to shoot anyone on the basis of the colour of their skin. ermm.gif

not solely on the basis of the colour of their skin, but brandishing an AK-47 as well did it for me....whistling.gif

actually joey88tc is a 17 year corrections officer who has a little insight on the criminal mind......so yor telling me if you choose to enter someones house....and you heard that sound coming from the bedroom...your gonna stick around.....most thieves want a better life..they want something for nothing...a better life does not include death or jailtime....

actually joey88tc is a 17 year corrections officer who has a little insight on the criminal mind......so yor telling me if you choose to enter someones house....and you heard that sound coming from the bedroom...your gonna stick around.....most thieves want a better life..they want something for nothing...a better life does not include death or jailtime....

OK...but you still havent clarified whether you were watching "Die hard" and "Rambo" again over the weekend..rolleyes.gif

A terribly pressed on group. They have to live in boxes with 39 other, are black or orange, and the first time they see daylight is when they sit in line on a big sling which fires them into the air to get shot.

So you're saying that is not a win win situation for me ??

Owning a gun is beyond silly. Leave that to the Americans. The only people who should have guns are government employees. The Royal Army of Thailand will guarantee the safety and natural rights of Thai citizens and foriegners residing here and have up until this point in history done a fabolous job. If someone breaks into your home or you feel threathened, I advise you to call the The Royal Thai Police Department. These men are honest professionals who are trained to use guns, but only when absolutely nessecary. They will protect you. Attempting to take matters into your own hands is silly and unnessecary. Please, please, only the government should be allowed to arm itself.

• Like 1

Owning a gun is beyond silly. Leave that to the Americans. The only people who should have guns are government employees. The Royal Army of Thailand will guarantee the safety and natural rights of Thai citizens and foriegners residing here and have up until this point in history done a fabolous job. If someone breaks into your home or you feel threathened, I advise you to call the The Royal Thai Police Department. These men are honest professionals who are trained to use guns, but only when absolutely nessecary. They will protect you. Attempting to take matters into your own hands is silly and unnessecary. Please, please, only the government should be allowed to arm itself.

I confess to being an American, and I confess to having two sons who are or were law enforcement officers in the United States. I also have two family members that are police officers upcountry in Thailand. I guess I'm saying that the true inside story of at least a few police departments are not a secret to me.

Two years ago I was in New York and my father suffered from massive, life-threatening seizures from internal bleeding in his brain. I called the 911 phone number to get emergency care rushed to him to save his life. I was put on hold! Twice. By the time the paramedics arrived, my father had lost consciousness and went on life support on the way to the hospital. Three more minutes delay and he would have been dead.

Now this might sound like a big departure from a discussion of importing a gun for protection of one's family, but there are a few pertinent things to point out. First of all, I would be hard-pressed to find anyone in the know that did not feel that metropolitan New York police are better trained, bettter equipped, less corrupt, and more efficient than even our fine officers here in Bangkok. And who among us would feel that the cash-strapped upcountry officers don't suffer from even heavier burdens than their better trained and better equipped elite Bangkok brothers? I know that when I called the police up in Burirum on an emergency a few years back I got a crashingly good response time of less than an hour before someone arrived. I was told that I got that great response because a member of my family was on duty that night. I also recall a discussion I had with one of the upcountry police officers wherein I mentioned that it was believed that two of my neighbors had murdered their parents in two seperate incidents when they got tired of taking care of them. To his credit the officer looked distressed as he told me that it was doubtless true, but hey, that's life after all, isn't it?

The take-home message from this is that you might be right that having a gun at home is not a good idea, but please don't for a minute think that a police officer is going to save you from a murderous thug that's broken into your home in Thailand. It just ain't gonna happen.

• Like 2

This sounds like you're writing seriously, but I find it hard to believe since nearly every proposition it contains is farcical. Please tell me you're joking right?

cheesy.gif , Total crap. cheesy.gif