Euro 2012.....What Channels Are Showing It ?

CiaranO

My concern if GMM take the EPL rights in 2013/14 would be:

Will GMM show 4 or 5 games live coterminously like True? (My team Arsenal is a no 3-5 team and I fear I will be chasing for non-live broadcasts most weekends)

Will GMM have a comprehensive schedule of repeat broadcasts during the week so I can catch up with watching the competition and selected good matches lower down

Will GMM broadcast the useful 2 hour weekly highlights and other commentary programmes?

Will GMM populate their EPG (electronic program guide?) that allows us to know what is being shown when?

Will the English language commentary be ok?

My guess is No, Maybe, Probably, Probably and Yes

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will GMM show 4 or 5 games live coterminously like True? (My team Arsenal is a no 3-5 team and I fear I will be chasing for non-live broadcasts most weekends)

Will GMM have a comprehensive schedule of repeat broadcasts during the week so I can catch up with watching the competition and selected good matches lower down

Will GMM broadcast the useful 2 hour weekly highlights and other commentary programmes?

Will GMM populate their EPG (electronic program guide?) that allows us to know what is being shown when?

I agree. It's easy to moan about Truevisions, but their EPL coverage is exceptional and well worth the money.

Bit the bullet and bought the GMM box this morning from Lotus Pattaya Tai.

Pleased to see it was set up for 'plug & play' No need to ring up the service centre. I'm currently watching the highlights from last nights games - no evident problems thus far....

I agree. It's easy to moan about Truevisions, but their EPL coverage is exceptional and well worth the money.

It seems a total waste of time GMM and True having a bidding war over Premiership rights. Afterall we are the ones who are going to have to pay for it at the end of the day with increased TV subscription costs (not to mention the possibility of additional boxes.) And to be honest most of the footballers in the PL already earn a fairly decent weekly wage and arent in desperate need of the extra money.

I have to say True's PL football coverage is excellent but there is virtually nothing else worth watching on their network.

• Like 1

Matter of personal opinion and interests Abrak. I highly value the business programmes, CNBC and Bloomberg; I don't play the market but invest for the long term for me and elderly realtives whose finances I look after. I often have CNN or BBC24 on in the background when doing the housekeepingtongue.png . I also watch a couple of HBO films a week. My 2.5 year old watches the cartoon programmes - I switch it to English language (to try to get her to pick up on the language and she steals it back again to change it back to Thai - thank goodnessthere are no programmes in Issaan/Lao - that's what she loves to speak. My FIL sneeks in to watch the boxing and Muay Thai if noone's around.

But then I do live in deepest Issaan, so I'm easily pleased! Oh and I like the rugby coverage on ch 107 (Setanta). I'd have to move to BKK or Chiang Mai if True's Gold package disappeared; sad or what?

I must be the only person in Thailand that is totally happy with what i get for the money i pay.

Actually I agree that it is fine as far as 'I get for the money I pay' bearing in mind the infrastructure costs the relatively small subscriber base and that the product is mostly aimed at Thais. However it would be good if we had more premium western content and I would be happy to pay for it.

The Fiasco continues in Phuket. GMM rep still asking for 6000 baht even if you have your own box, The box not needing to be activated to show the Euro's even with english commentary. True saying they will be (maybe) showing it from tuesday and the local cable company showing it on both Thai and Chinese channels. I love Thaialnd.

You must have a creative local satellite man skyblustu. I was offered something similar that was presumably dodgy, but they couldn't make it work so they told me to go to the official True shop.

Dear GMM box owners:

Have kept my eye on the GMM box this afternoon to see if they are offering repeats/highlights. I note that now they are showing the Russsia v Czech game from last night in its entirety. It's the Channel 3 branded broadcast with English on the right channel and its on GMM channel 000. I reckon it must have started at 6:30pm. Maybe they showed the Poland v Greece game before that or maybe they will show it afterwards. [Channel 3 on True is showing monks chanting from some other channel].

Lets hope this evening slot is going to be a regualr repeat slot. I'll check it again tomorrow. Someone else posted that there was a highlights programme earlier today. If anyone has a fix on the timing of that I'd be grateful. It would be nice if GMM's EPG showed what was being shown when wouldn't it?!

Can you wire coat hanger brigade see this evening repeat on Channel 3?

I see they are now doing the half-time analysis in Thai on GMM 000. So if this is going to be a regular schedule you can switch on at 7:15pm, watch the first half mini highlights (5 min version) and then watch the second half.

Have to get up early this coming AM though - Germany v Portugal - should be a cracker. Spain v Italy late tomorrow - another cracker - and England v France late Monday night. Jeez when am I going to get any sleep

Edited by SantiSuk

the local cable company showing it on both Thai and Chinese channels. I love Thaialnd.

Agree. Local cable is brilliant. I won't mention what part of the central region I'm in or the local company I have. But we're getting the Euros and always get the English premier matches from the Malaysian coverage. All in English too.

The Fiasco continues in Phuket. GMM rep still asking for 6000 baht even if you have your own box, The box not needing to be activated to show the Euro's even with english commentary. True saying they will be (maybe) showing it from tuesday and the local cable company showing it on both Thai and Chinese channels. I love Thaialnd.

Are you saying that you buy the box and it shows the Euros without going through that 16 digit rigmarole? We've all been duped into a menaingless process! Shit I even gave them my address.

Never mind - its working fine for me now and 1,590 isn't going to break the bank. So I'll not get wound up about possibly having been able to see it with a wire coat hanger or bods who get expensive packages for sweet FA. Hell I'll even bury that thought that perhaps we digi-box owners might get some repeat content that others don't get so as to justify the purchase!

Edited by SantiSuk

Are you saying that you buy the box and it shows the Euros without going through that 16 digit rigmarole? We've all been duped into a menaingless process! Shit I even gave them my address.

Never mind - its working fine for me now and 1,590 isn't going to break the bank. So I'll not get wound up about possibly having been able to see it with a wire coat hanger or bods who get expensive packages for sweet FA. Hell I'll even bury that thought that perhaps we digi-box owners might get some repeat content that others don't get so as to justify the purchase!

Well I paid for the box 6k all working thought well I wot to watch so heay it is wot it is Amazing Thailand .

Yep - I would have paid 6000 baht for the Euros if that was the only option. No, on second thoughts it would have been down to those local bamboo bars and bu$$er the consequenceslaugh.png

I must be the only person in Thailand that is totally happy with what i get for the money i pay.

I'm happy but even if I wasn't I wouldn't grumble, 500baht every 3mnths for True platinum package is a bargain!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Stu ...we love smart <deleted> in the football forum,why don't you fess up and tell all us numpty's all about it wink wink!

I'm happy but even if I wasn't I wouldn't grumble, 500baht every 3mnths for True platinum package is a bargain!

Stu ...we love smart <deleted> in the football forum,why don't you fess up and tell all us numpty's all about it wink wink!

Nothing to tell really and I wasn't being a smart-arse, I presume most of us live in Thailand so would know about what options there are. If you see one of the small shops that sell Satellite dishes just go in and ask, most of them do it. If you have internet at home you'll just need to pay 4-6000baht on the initial set-up which includes a dish and dreambox and then you are good to go. From True it is 2000baht per month, I pay 500baht every 3mnths and no problems with any of the channels.

True is expensive, but lets not exaggerate stu - the Gold package is 1,600 baht pcm with no set-up cost.

Out of interest, why do you need internet if it uses a dish and digibox? Could understand if it was taking an internet signal from a satellite via dish and digibax and downstreaming TV over the internet, but you threw me by saying 'if you have internet at home ...'.

Just interested in all the options, especially as True seem to be on the cusp of losing it. I don't have a reliable enough TOT landline signal - sometimes great/ sometimes slooow/sometimes out - to use my existing internet feed directly for TV and I gess that applies to many of us outside the cities and big towns

What Stu has said is true my next door neighbor has done this through his dish and internet, i have the same dish and just need to upgrade and get it connected through the internet.

True is expensive, but lets not exaggerate stu - the Gold package is 1,600 baht pcm with no set-up cost.

Out of interest, why do you need internet if it uses a dish and digibox? Could understand if it was taking an internet signal from a satellite via dish and digibax and downstreaming TV over the internet, but you threw me by saying 'if you have internet at home ...'.

Just interested in all the options, especially as True seem to be on the cusp of losing it. I don't have a reliable enough TOT landline signal - sometimes great/ sometimes slooow/sometimes out - to use my existing internet feed directly for TV and I gess that applies to many of us outside the cities and big towns

Who said anything about the Gold package? I said I have the Platinum package which is 2000baht per month from True. Not sure exactly why an internet connection is required but it is and is connected to the Dreambox, someone said it constantly updates the password which makes sense but I don't know.

If your internet isn't reliable then not really worth looking into but if it is then you start saving after the first 3mnths.

Who said anything about the Gold package? I said I have the Platinum package which is 2000baht per month from True. Not sure exactly why an internet connection is required but it is and is connected to the Dreambox, someone said it constantly updates the password which makes sense but I don't know.

If your internet isn't reliable then not really worth looking into but if it is then you start saving after the first 3mnths.

OK - noted, but for the avoidance of doubt to others you only need the Gold package to get the full EPL schedule. Platinum may add some sports content of worth to fringe sports lovers, like American football (I qualify as a fringe sports lover under that definition btw), but mostly it's about extra movies and mainstream US series I believe.

So is it the True channels you are getting or some other provider. If True, then I guess it must be True that's getting ripped off by an illegal steal, unless True have a contract with Dreambox or somebody else to let them use their signals, in which case it is us True full-price customers who are being ripped off by Truerolleyes.gif .

Guess we would need to get the ThaiVisa geek column involved to get to the bottom of it all.

I have been streaming the games over the internet. Excellent quality and no buffering, and i live in the middle of nowhere. both games were on ESPN feeds.

I got rid of true a few months ago after 12yrs, so glad i did as well, i dont think it was anywhere near as good as UBC. Now i just stream or download all the films or programmes i want.

Can't wait for monday come on ENGLAND!!!

I have been streaming the games over the internet. Excellent quality and no buffering, and i live in the middle of nowhere. both games were on ESPN feeds.

I got rid of true a few months ago after 12yrs, so glad i did as well, i dont think it was anywhere near as good as UBC. Now i just stream or download all the films or programmes i want.

Can't wait for monday come on ENGLAND!!!

Is ESPN blocked within Thailand. Is there another website to use or how can i get to watch Espn.........thanks.....

Edited by zoolander

I reckon that all these posters who live in the middle of nowhere and can stream HD movies and football to their hearts content and it never buffers are just Internet Peet-a-boah (poltergeists), sent to disrupt our societylaugh.png

Holland v Denmark being replayed in full on GMM channel 000 now.

Looks like we get to benefit from the replays at a civilised hour by shelling out the 1,590 (regular channel 3 is not showing it on my True package. I hope some of you other package/coathanger/signal pilferer guys are getting this too (liar - you hope they are all regretting not having shelled out the same money as you and are currently beating a path to Lotus/Big C/711)!

Looks like the daily schedule might be

2pm to 3:30pm Football discussion magazine with Thai blokes in comedy glasses (Thai only)

3:30pm to 3:40 pm Match 1 starts (match started at 3:42 if I extrapolate back). Right channel for English

6:30 pm Match 2 starts - Right channel for English - if yesterday's schedule is the new norm

Can't guarantee this til we've seen another day's full cycle

[Denmark are playing NL like regrettably England will probably play France.

Match announcer, Kantharalak

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

@santisuk i have my click from cat 590bht a month on speedtest i get 6mb in thailand and 2mb to uk and us. i use expatshield for bbc and itv iplayer, sometimes i have to lower quality depends on the time of day.

for channel 4od i use uktv with no buffering as i like to watch deal or no deal, sad i know.

Updated best guess of schedule on GMM channel 000, based on Saturday/Sunday broadcasts:

2 pm to 3:30 pm Football discussion magazine with Thai blokes in comedy glasses (Thai only)

3:30 pm to 3:40 pm Match 1 starts: full match with match commentary in English (right channel) including half-time break with analysis and highlights of the first half (thai analysis only)

5:45 ish Guys in comedy glasses return

6:20 pm to 6:30 pm Match 2 starts - full match with match commentary in English (right channel) including half-time break with analysis and highlights of the first half (thai analysis only)

So far the order of broadcast has followed the order of play - ie match that started 18:00 CET is Match 1 and match that started 20:45 is Match 2.

Edited by SantiSuk