Euro 2012.....What Channels Are Showing It ?

CiaranO

OK - I was wrong. I did not know that True had a contract with government to broadcast everything that goes free to air

On the other hand, if I know anything about Thailand there will be at least another 3 weeks of legal wrangling so that everyone who counts (ie not us the viewers) gets to a position where they do not lose face.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be showing the Euro 2012 games on Thai Expat TV.

We have software players that can be downloaded instantly from the website, there is also a set top box solution.

Contact one of our members of staff today!

Cheers

Wes

Did you not see the news? The games ARE on true now.

We have software players that can be downloaded instantly from the website, there is also a set top box solution.

Cheers

Wes

Does an order by a Government quango mean there will be immediate action?

How can True's face be saved? 3 weeks of legal wrangling might help that.

Can we be sure that the terrestrial channels will cancel their soaps and substitute them for football when the early 10:45 kick-offs are happening?

Do we know whether GMM will be screening repeats or highlights the following day, making their service worth it in any event?

So many unanswered questions. Amazing Thailand!

Edited by SantiSuk

Cheers

Wes

That's not how I read it!

Just to add to the farce from my perspective, my wife is forming a close relationship with GMM customer services this morning in an attempt to get our box working! At least they have taken the initiative to call us to say there is a problem, rather than letting me sweat not knowing why nothing has changed between before and after our initial call.

No such thing as 'press one and enter your 16 digit code', as experienced by early registrants, this morning - same as yesterday, the first message is a general service options message. It goes something like this ....... "blah blah ... kwat cow ...." (press nine - which would get you to a technician for sevice problems). Kwat soong (press 0) gets you to customer services. CS took the 16 digit code and our name, phone no, and address and said it would work in 5 minutes. I can't imagine all Thailand getting registered on time if this has become the norm.

PS the main number is still very busy but keep trying - I got connected to the above phone response after about 8 consecutive attempts

So, after six pages on the subject, are the euro's on channel 3 or 7 or both and are they in english?

Thanks in anticipation.

"Have a lao khao. Wait and see!?"

[My wife doesn't understand the importance of football, other than as a fashion accessorytongue.png ]

In extremis, Radio 5 live on the internet if you can figure the delays.

Edited by SantiSuk

The one big issue here is that it's all down to contracts. True say they have contracts to broadcast free to air channels. Grammy say they have a clause in their contract saying Channel 3 can only broadcast via antenna for the games, as they are the rights holders and have leased air time from Ch 3,5 and 9 to show the games. NBTC say free to air channels should show no biased in who they send their signals to, but can't force True to compensate Grammy and True have already said they have deals to screen the free to air channels, so they won't pay anything to Grammy. It's gonna end in one big legal mess if you ask me and many pissed off True subscribers.

No idea if you get audio in English via antenna signal.... Grammy said by selecting "audio right" on their boxes will provide English commentary.

So, after six pages on the subject, are the euro's on channel 3 or 7 or both and are they in english?

Thanks in anticipation.

Still don't know, but they will NOT be in English if they are shown.

wai.gif

Down 1,590 baht and and still no GMM connection here. Im taking my wife's advice (except for the Lao Khao - off to lighten up at the local bar for a beer, pizza (and whingew00t.gif ).

Disgusted, Kantharalak

Down 1,590 baht and and still no GMM connection here. Im taking my wife's advice (except for the Lao Khao - off to lighten up at the local bar for a beer, pizza (and whingew00t.gif ).

Disgusted, Kantharalak

GMM are cowboys. I pray to God they don't win the PL rights.

The Thaiexpat.tv offering is worth a look at if you have got a decent internet connection (at least 3MB)

The good news is that there 'free 2 day trial' is genuinely 'free' you dont have to sign up for anything or give any credit card details and genuinely 'instant' in that you will be up and running in 10 minutes.

It is basically the major UK TV channels BBC, ITV, Channel 4 via the web. They also have delayed versions of the channels. That is good news for Euro 2012 as it means that the 7.45pm matches are repeated at 7.45am Thailand time.

Get your aerials ready boys. GMM are a shambles and there's no guarantee that their untried system is ready to go. Thai commentary with an aerial but at least a picture and a bit of crowd noise for atmosphere. If True come to the party then well and good.......

An aerial has the added advantage of not cutting out in the rain. It's the wet season remember gentlemen.

The blurb from Channel 3 says that the C-band satellite signal will be encrypted, and hence the football cannot be viewed by those with dishes, but those with the old antenna systems will be able to watch.

(Another thread on TV suggests that negotiations are still going on, so the situation may change.)

The whole episode seems to be a microcosm of how this country operates -- confusion, lack of planning, petty jealousies, all-important saving of face, scant regard for the masses, last-minute compromise. Recycle and use again.

Classified: imported wire coat hangers, only used for hanging clothes (by cheap charlie who kept them back from dry cleaning). 100 baht each. Buyer collects. Location: deepest issaan.

GMM have just promised that if I switch on at 10:30 pm their service should be working. I agree - it should be, but I'm ready to climb the water tower with a coat hanger and a long coax tomorrow if it doesn't. Failing that I'll be in Bangkok by the time Germany kick off against Portugalsmile.png . It's that, or the local nest of bamboo bars, but the missus will never believe I'm only there for the footie and the jungle drums will only serve to distort the truth!

• Like 2

Oh well, after weeks of speculation, and suggetions of having to fork out B1000's for decoders etc....I am now watching the Euros in English on my ordinary regular TV provider Thipmanee on Astro Supersport 1. Glad i hang out to see the opening match(or not).

Role on Tuesday morn and the main match. biggrin.png

Against earlier expectations the GMM box works and the picture quality from Channel 3 is good. As said above, choose the 'right' track for English commentary.

Shit - I told regular readers of the Arsenal thread that I had expected Scezny to screw up for Arsenal all season (clown in waiting) - he's kept it for the Euros and presumably that's the end of his contribution!

Anyway back to message - get right track by seelcting Menu (OK)/Application (OK)/System Set (OK)/Track set (OK)/TV Default Track/use right arrow to change from 'Left' to 'Right'/OK/Exit/Exit/Exit

So was it on True or not ?

No.

.....No... and quite rightly so.

GMM paid for the rights to show these matches. They had the inititive to purchase from EUFA..

True did'nt. !!

Whatever domestic arrangements were in place regarding other channels and True, that does not change the fact that only with the agreement from GMM could any other TV channel show these games.

True being ' the big boys' tried to use domestic agreements to circumvent the problem...but because they didnt want to pay GMM for the games,they lost out and have egg on their faces. and a big big loss of 'face'

GMM are in the driving seat and True can only become a paying passenger.

• Like 1

No.

.....No... and quite rightly so.

GMM paid for the rights to show these matches. They had the inititive to purchase from EUFA..

True did'nt. !!

Whatever domestic arrangements were in place regarding other channels and True, that does not change the fact that only with the agreement from GMM could any other TV channel show these games.

True being ' the big boys' tried to use domestic agreements to circumvent the problem...but because they didnt want to pay GMM for the games,they lost out and have egg on their faces. and a big big loss of 'face'

GMM are in the driving seat and True can only become a paying passenger.

Well, Grammy have more money than True - that's what counts when it comes to selling UEFA's precious rights... The big question for me, is do Grammy have the infrastructure to do justice to their purchase? I don't really care about the Euros as the kick-off times suck, but the future of the EPL rights for Thailand is the big one!

No.

And quite rightly so.

GMM showed the inititive to pay EUFA for the Thailand rights to show these games.

Whatever domestic arrangements True had with terrestial channels, does not affect this primary point.

Without the agreement of GMM ,no one else can legaly show the games on TV,and this , of course means that for anyone else to have the agreement of GMM, money would have to be paid to them

True wanted the games on the cheap and now have egg on their face.