Euro 2012.....What Channels Are Showing It ?

CiaranO

The Thaiexpat.tv offering is worth a look at if you have got a decent internet connection (at least 3MB)

The good news is that there 'free 2 day trial' is genuinely 'free' you dont have to sign up for anything or give any credit card details and genuinely 'instant' in that you will be up and running in 10 minutes.

It is basically the major UK TV channels BBC, ITV, Channel 4 via the web. They also have delayed versions of the channels. That is good news for Euro 2012 as it means that the 7.45pm matches are repeated at 7.45am Thailand time.

I registered for the free 2-day trial earlier, was very easy and working within 15mins.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An inflammatory profanity post has been removed.

Another post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

True gives something,

All platinum package holders get ala carte channels free, gold get upgrade to platinum for free,all other packages get all truesport channels 1-6 free, one month 11/6-10/7. Confirm it works for me now.

Just read that True will be showing the England game tonight as a deal agreed with GMM, happy days!

What is your source? Link?

It's on 'the one we are not allowed to mention's' website George. Something about True and GMM doing a deal where GMM will be able to show next seasons premier league in exchange for True showing Euro 2012.

If true (no pun intended) - and there has been false information before on this subject in the press - I wonder if True realise that a significant number of their falang customer base only pay for their Gold package and above to get the EPL. If GMM are able to significantly undercut 1600 baht pcm, which the chatter suggested they well might, True will have struck an extremely bad deal.

Personally I would probably stick with True for another season since I do watch Rugby, HBO films, BBC 24, CNN, Bloomberg and CNBC regularly

If true (no pun intended) - and there has been false information before on this subject in the press - I wonder if True realise that a significant number of their falang customer base only pay for their Gold package and above to get the EPL. If GMM are able to significantly undercut 1600 baht pcm, which the chatter suggested they well might, True will have struck an extremely bad deal.

Personally I would probably stick with True for another season since I do watch Rugby, HBO films, BBC 24, CNN, Bloomberg and CNBC regularly

Depends what % of their clients are farang. If the % of their clients that are farang is fairly small and only a small % of those would move to GMM then we might not figure in their plans too much!

ThaiexpatTV is great. Works really well. Fingers crossed for England tmrw!

Yes its good isnt it. I have signed up for the set top box (they installed it the day I ordered it) and it looks great on a big screen.

The times for repeats of the Euros work out very well for Thai time.

• Like 1

Who gives a flying f__ any longer. Only the very cheapest of Charlies will not have sorted themselves out with a way of watching it that suits their budget by now. Its not as though there is only one option and that is pay-per view at $10 per throw like with some boxing matches.

Edit: unless you are so sad that you only want to watch England in which case it could well be 10 bucks a game

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

i get my true via cable in my condo, most of the replies i see on here talk about hooking it up to a satellite dish, has anybody bought the gmm box and hooked it up with the cable they use with the gmm box? i read somewhere that the gmm box only works with a dish? cheers

i get my true via cable in my condo, most of the replies i see on here talk about hooking it up to a satellite dish, has anybody bought the gmm box and hooked it up with the cable they use with the gmm box? i read somewhere that the gmm box only works with a dish? cheers

Sorry - but I don't think it will work. The GMM box is there to convert a signal coming from the GMM satellite. It just so happens that the True dish also points at the GMM satellite. True are sending a True signal down the cable, not a GMM one. The GMM box cannot convert a True signal.

Try buying a rabbit ear aerial and connecting it directly to your TV to receive the terrestrial TV channels. No English language unfortunately but you could turn the Thai volume off and get BBC 5 Live on a radio player over the internet. Condo usually = urban = available adequate signal for internet download TV. A couple of commercial applications of internet TV are given in this thread as are some free downstreaming web-sites

Edited by SantiSuk

Terrible sound quality on GMM English commentary last night. Sounded like someone turning the volume up and down for both games. Think I'll go back to the Thai commentary.

Terrible sound quality on GMM English commentary last night. Sounded like someone turning the volume up and down for both games. Think I'll go back to the Thai commentary.

Yes - has been very variable as has the quality of the commentators themselves. Of course they have to commentate for a global world audience, so some of the passion you get with an English commentator commenting on an English TV channel is understandably lost, but the guy that Channel 3 usually uses and who makes an appearance now and then is so bland it aint true - absolutely no analysis or opinion and no excitement at a good move or goal. Might as well just read out the names of the players as they receive the ball.

Having siad that:

The two on Wednesdaynight - diiferent one for each game - were ok I thought (accepting their restrictions)

Hey - you cant complain for 1600 baht or less in a foreign country

Yes it's very poor. The reason for it is that there is a stereo compressor across the audio channels. Normally this is fine, but it doesn't work on a dual language broadcast. What happens is that when the Thai commentator speaks, it reduces the volume of the left (Thai) channel (which is fine) but also reduces the volume of the right (English) channel. The same applies in reverse when the English commentator speaks.

The (presumably Thai) broadcast engineer has noticed this issue, and has found that increasing the volume of the left (Thai) channel minimises this affect on that channel. Unfortunately it increases the effect on the right (English) channel.

What they need to do is temporarily disable the stereo link between the left and right channels on the stereo compressor during dual language broadcasts.

I've emailed Channel 3 with this information but imagine it will just be ignored.

Perhaps if multiple people contacted them it might help. If anybody could translate it into to Thai that might help too.