Euro 2012.....What Channels Are Showing It ?

CiaranO

Because allot of people want English commentary and Thai TV doesn't have it.

last world cup a friend's bar showed the match broadcast through thai tv and synced that up with the radio five live commentary from england. was excellent and far, far more entertaining than the usual tv commentary pillocks.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because allot of people want English commentary and Thai TV doesn't have it.

last world cup a friend's bar showed the match broadcast through thai tv and synced that up with the radio five live commentary from england. was excellent and far, far more entertaining than the usual tv commentary pillocks.

The only trouble with that is that you hear the goal before you see it.

The only trouble with that is that you hear the goal before you see it.

think he got it about right after a bit of tinkering with the delay thing. know what you mean though. when it was off it could be 5 or 7 seconds off.

GMM confirmed they have the Npower champ and Bundesliga. It'll work on KU band, which is the same as TRUEvisions.

That's sold it to me, Cheers thumbsup.gif

Getting ready for the matches, I had some guy around today to supply and fix up this GMM reciever.

Connected into it from the True dish cable....dual splitter...cables out to the GMM box and True box. True box already connected to the TV,so RCA connections to the TV for the new box

The guy telephones the GMM people and set up the system with the latest software.

Picture OK.

Cost me 2000baht,saved me running arround to get everything....

My expectations are that it will cost me 666 baht per match for the 3 England matches..../maybe 500 baht a game if we qualify for the quarter finals.

I'm not a great fan of TV in general,but it does seem that there are a lot of programs on the GMM network,maybe for many Thai's a choice from True,and cheaper.

Bought GMM Z box yesterday from Tesco Lotus.

I had pointed the dish to NSS6 on IPM and struggled pointing to thaicom as the GMM decoder is on same band as TrueVisions.

Regular FTA channels with several blank 'Future Channels'. Yet to test switching to english audio since none of the channels have dual audio.

Useful posting to have some actual hardware instalation feedback after all the talk of content, BuddhistVirus.

How do we lesser mortals get this right if we lay down the dosh to buy the 1,590 GMM Grammy box (I'm calling it by this long title because on earlier threads some talked about GMM and some about Grammy and I had to use Wiki to establish that they were talking about the same thing)?

So is it just a question of plugging the satellite dish cable into the GMM Grammy digibox instead of the True box? And then getting to the satellite dish to reposition it? Do you recommend that us mere mortals (who don't understand any of the acronyms you used in your post tongue.png) get a local satellite shop to sell the box and position the dish - probably cheaper and safer than buying a long stepladder for me anyway!

Is it clear to you that you will receive some continuing content after the Euros are finished without paying any monthly rental? Any idea for how long? Do you have confirmation that the continuing content will include nPower Championship and Bundesliga? (sorry if you don't care anyway

GMM confirmed they have the Npower champ and Bundesliga. It'll work on KU band, which is the same as TRUEvisions.

That's sold it to me, Cheers thumbsup.gif

Getting ready for the matches, I had some guy around today to supply and fix up this GMM reciever.

Connected into it from the True dish cable....dual splitter...cables out to the GMM box and True box. True box already connected to the TV,so RCA connections to the TV for the new box

The guy telephones the GMM people and set up the system with the latest software.

Picture OK.

Cost me 2000baht,saved me running arround to get everything....

My expectations are that it will cost me 666 baht per match for the 3 England matches..../maybe 500 baht a game if we qualify for the quarter finals.

I'm not a great fan of TV in general,but it does seem that there are a lot of programs on the GMM network,maybe for many Thai's a choice from True,and cheaper.

You mean you would watch the England games but not the final (unless England play in itcheesy.gif ) or any other game matching up any two of Spain, Germany, Netherlands or Italy? Well I never - you'll be missing some decent football I reckon.

PS - does anyone know if GMM Grammy will be screening repeats of matches for watching at more civilised hours? I'm still not clear whether their intention is to screen their own edited content on their own sports channel(s) or whether they will be broadcasting the three Thai terrestrial channels without the Euro blackout. I'm sure that the terrestriial channels will not be doing any repeats - that would cut into their existing, popular and very excellent line-up of soaps and talk and talent shows. [why can't ThaiVisa do a tongue in cheek icon]

TRUEvisions are holding a press conference tmrw morning about the situation with EURO 2012. They've kept the content of this press conference secret until then.

As far as I am aware you do not need to reposition your current TRUE set up, as GMM-Z box works on the same KU band frequency.

GMM have confirmed to me they are showing Npower champ and Bundesliga. I think you have to subscribe to their Sky 1 channels (300bht/mth) for this.

I did hear something about GMM showing matches at normal hours, not sure if these will be in full or extended highlights. Re-runs will be on GMM sport one. Live matches on Channel 3 with a few on 5 and 9.

• Like 1

Bought GMM Z box yesterday from Tesco Lotus.

I had pointed the dish to NSS6 on IPM and struggled pointing to thaicom as the GMM decoder is on same band as TrueVisions.

Regular FTA channels with several blank 'Future Channels'. Yet to test switching to english audio since none of the channels have dual audio.

Useful posting to have some actual hardware instalation feedback after all the talk of content, BuddhistVirus.

How do we lesser mortals get this right if we lay down the dosh to buy the 1,590 GMM Grammy box (I'm calling it by this long title because on earlier threads some talked about GMM and some about Grammy and I had to use Wiki to establish that they were talking about the same thing)?

So is it just a question of plugging the satellite dish cable into the GMM Grammy digibox instead of the True box? And then getting to the satellite dish to reposition it? Do you recommend that us mere mortals (who don't understand any of the acronyms you used in your post tongue.png) get a local satellite shop to sell the box and position the dish - probably cheaper and safer than buying a long stepladder for me anyway!

Is it clear to you that you will receive some continuing content after the Euros are finished without paying any monthly rental? Any idea for how long? Do you have confirmation that the continuing content will include nPower Championship and Bundesliga? (sorry if you don't care anyway

If you are on True Visions, no repositioning is required. Just plug and play. Since I had the misfortune of being on IPM TV prior to GMM Z, I struggled pointing the dish to Thaicom. Of course one iPhone app assisted me in finding the satellite.

In the brochure I saw at Tesco, there were logos of Bundesliga, NPower, JLeague and some other and the sales guy was not much of a help. But he did mention the contents will be on air. Free or paid, I am as clueless as my village headman.

EDIT: ^^^ didn't realize bangkok blue already answered.

Edited by BuddhistVirus

Santi it could well be a free option....you never know what they are thinking.

Bangkok Blue seems to be ahead of the game with info so maybe he can let us know what it is all about.

For the last World Cup and Euros the Thai channels had replays the next day. I find it hard to believe that the Thai channels will be blocked on True, but if that is the case then I'll just stay away from the sports results and watch the game the next day. Don't want to stay up till 2am anyhow.

Is this GMM the mob who are threatening to take the English Premier League away from True next season?

What I forgot to say was that even if the games are blocked for True viewers of Thai channels 3 and 7 (hard to believe) , then I hope the replays the following day won't be.

Next season is the last season of the current TRUE contract for EPL. GMM and others are rumoured to be in the running for the bids. Last I read was a possible joint GMM and TRUE bid, but we'll see.

I'm only guessing, but maybe TRUE will show games on their HD channels. Most people in neighbouring countries won't have the HD boxes, so this might fix the problem. Let's wait and see til tmrw. GMM have promised English commentary too on their boxes.

The UEFA Euro 2012 football tournament will kick off on June 8 in Warsaw and Thais are looking forward to watching the live matches.

However, I'm not sure many football fans will enjoy watching the games as much as they expect. They are very confused about what set-top box they will need to use to receive the broadcast signals from the broadcast rights holder, GMM Grammy Plc.

As I understand it, viewers wishing to get the signal from Grammy directly must buy its GMM Z set-top box and connect it to their satellite dishes.

Provincial cable TV operators, which buy broadcasting rights from Grammy, can show the matches to their viewers.

Grammy is letting households with a conventional antenna watch all the Euro football games. Its media partners are free-to-air Channels 3, 5 and 9.

Unfortunately, households which belong to TrueVisions' pay TV network will not be allowed to watch Euro matches even though they will be aired on the three free TV channels.

TV screens under the TrueVisions' system will go black during Euro matches because Grammy and TrueVisions haven't been able to reach an agreement on the Euro issue.

I don't understand why many Thais have to face such complications just to watch Euro football games. Why can't the signals that go to free-to-air channels also be viewed on TrueVisions?

Many households in major cities including Bangkok have satellite dishes or subscribe to TrueVisions. We rarely use conventional antennas like we did in the old days.

If we want to watch the Euro matches during the tournament between June 8 and July 1, we must pay 1,590 baht to buy a new set-top box from Grammy.

So, many houses will have at least two set-top boxes during the football tournament. Or should I go to the Klong Thom flea market to buy a conventional antenna to install at our house again?

If I was Grammy, I would ask TrueVisions why they don't pay a broadcasting fee to Grammy to obtain the signal for their customers?

I'm still optimistic that TrueVisions and Grammy can work out a solution before the tournament goes ahead. I don't want to experience a black TV screen during the tournament.

Similar problems concerning football broadcasting rights are likely to occur again, as major broadcasting rights holders use different systems to transmit their signals.

RS Plc has won the right to broadcast La Liga in Spain. Grammy has, again, secured the rights for the Bundesliga in Germany and the J League in Japan.

TrueVisions holds the rights for the Thai Premier League and the English Premier League.

I ask myself how many set-top boxes I would have to install to watch all of these football games at my home.

Why don't they come in an all-in-one box that allows viewers to watch football tournaments from various providers?

I don't think football fans would mind paying if it's convenient.

I would like to suggest broadcasting rights owners think about setting up a pooling system, and go out to bid for the rights from international football league associations together.

That way, the cost of securing rights will not be so expensive, and they can share the profits later.

You may say that it's impossible for business operators to join hands and go after the same thing together.

But they should try, at least once. This may be a good way to promote football among Thais. Now, it looks as if Thai operators are competing head-on and paying big money to international football associations to win the rights to air matches in Thailand which not everyone is able to see.

No matter how the TrueVisions-Grammy broadcasting rights issue turns out in the end, Thais will look forward to the Euro football games. But it would be much better if we didn't have to buy another box, or if we could watch the matches without the need to install a conventional antenna.

The UEFA Euro 2012 football tournament will kick off on June 8 in Warsaw and Thais are looking forward to watching the live matches.

However, I'm not sure many football fans will enjoy watching the games as much as they expect. They are very confused about what set-top box they will need to use to receive the broadcast signals from the broadcast rights holder, GMM Grammy Plc.

As I understand it, viewers wishing to get the signal from Grammy directly must buy its GMM Z set-top box and connect it to their satellite dishes.

Provincial cable TV operators, which buy broadcasting rights from Grammy, can show the matches to their viewers.

Grammy is letting households with a conventional antenna watch all the Euro football games. Its media partners are free-to-air Channels 3, 5 and 9.

Unfortunately, households which belong to TrueVisions' pay TV network will not be allowed to watch Euro matches even though they will be aired on the three free TV channels.

TV screens under the TrueVisions' system will go black during Euro matches because Grammy and TrueVisions haven't been able to reach an agreement on the Euro issue.

I don't understand why many Thais have to face such complications just to watch Euro football games. Why can't the signals that go to free-to-air channels also be viewed on TrueVisions?

Many households in major cities including Bangkok have satellite dishes or subscribe to TrueVisions. We rarely use conventional antennas like we did in the old days.

If we want to watch the Euro matches during the tournament between June 8 and July 1, we must pay 1,590 baht to buy a new set-top box from Grammy.

So, many houses will have at least two set-top boxes during the football tournament. Or should I go to the Klong Thom flea market to buy a conventional antenna to install at our house again?

If I was Grammy, I would ask TrueVisions why they don't pay a broadcasting fee to Grammy to obtain the signal for their customers?

I'm still optimistic that TrueVisions and Grammy can work out a solution before the tournament goes ahead. I don't want to experience a black TV screen during the tournament.

Similar problems concerning football broadcasting rights are likely to occur again, as major broadcasting rights holders use different systems to transmit their signals.

RS Plc has won the right to broadcast La Liga in Spain. Grammy has, again, secured the rights for the Bundesliga in Germany and the J League in Japan.

TrueVisions holds the rights for the Thai Premier League and the English Premier League.

I ask myself how many set-top boxes I would have to install to watch all of these football games at my home.

Why don't they come in an all-in-one box that allows viewers to watch football tournaments from various providers?

I don't think football fans would mind paying if it's convenient.

I would like to suggest broadcasting rights owners think about setting up a pooling system, and go out to bid for the rights from international football league associations together.

That way, the cost of securing rights will not be so expensive, and they can share the profits later.

You may say that it's impossible for business operators to join hands and go after the same thing together.

But they should try, at least once. This may be a good way to promote football among Thais. Now, it looks as if Thai operators are competing head-on and paying big money to international football associations to win the rights to air matches in Thailand which not everyone is able to see.

No matter how the TrueVisions-Grammy broadcasting rights issue turns out in the end, Thais will look forward to the Euro football games. But it would be much better if we didn't have to buy another box, or if we could watch the matches without the need to install a conventional antenna.

Interesting seems that my dish IPM i will be able to watch on, seems true is the one being blocked.

Nev. FYI

"I had the misfortune of being on IPM TV prior to GMM Z, I struggled pointing the dish to Thaicom. Of course one iPhone app assisted me in finding the satellite." [extract from post above by Buddhistvirus]

Edited by SantiSuk

Nev. FYI

"I had the misfortune of being on IPM TV prior to GMM Z, I struggled pointing the dish to Thaicom. Of course one iPhone app assisted me in finding the satellite." [extract from post above by Buddhistvirus]

Thanks for that mate, i will rush out and buy a i phone then get the applaugh.png no seriously i will take my chances with IPM TV, will see what happens if not i will watch on normal cable thaitv.

Nev

I was in the Pullman at the weekend and they are showing the games in the sports bar!

Time for us to hammer that German beer again soon mate i will bell you when i am back from Singhapour thumbsup.gif first jugs on me smile.png

• Like 1

Nev. FYI

Thanks for that mate, i will rush out and buy a i phone then get the applaugh.png no seriously i will take my chances with IPM TV, will see what happens if not i will watch on normal cable thaitv.

You can also get the position of the satellite from dishpointer.com

• Like 1

Possibly Dave. If the cable company has links with CTH or COA (cable company providers) then they won't block the signal. I know WETV in Chiangmai have informed me that they can show the games without a problem, so no need for me to buy the box. Doubt they'll be English commentary. But a VPN will sort that out.

The press conference from TRUE today was a waste of time. Just TRUE begging GMM not to block the signal. They are confident they can encrypt it so the likes of Bhruma, Laos and Cambodia can't piggy back the signal. No response from GMM on this matter as yet..... They're probably waiting to sell 2 million boxes before they agree to let TRUE have it.... For sure TRUE will have to pay some money for this. Just have to wait and see!

• Like 1

Really p*ssed off with True. I can imagine the meeting between TRUE and GMM went something like this 'yes GMM we know we have to give you money for the rights to show the matches but we are far too big a company to lose face by admitting that you beat us to the rights'

Can anyone tell me why I pay 1600 Baht a month to watch second rate, ancient programmes, then have to fork out more to catch a major sporting event?

TRUE really are a s*it company who wouldn't last 10 minutes in a civilised country.

So in the Press Conference True say they are 'confident they can encrypt it so the likes of Bhruma, Laos and Cambodia can't piggy back the signal'.

I doubt this will hold much weight as I know many people in thailand (both Thai and Expat) who currently use a pirate sevice which takes the encrypted True feed from their satalite, unencrypts it and gives them all channels for 3,000 BAHT PER YEAR.

The only thing they do have is the HD channels which are currenly not pirated.

Would love to know the answer to a few questions from Grammy. Tried asking there Help line but it wasn't much help.

1. There Z box which is available for 1590 B. Will the games be shown on their free for view channels or do you need to activate their paid service (350 B per month).

2. If you activate the box can it be for 1 month or is an annual subscription required.

3. Is there a licence fee for use of these boxes in a bar/restaurant.

Pattaya are being told box + 2,000 B licence (3590 B)

Phuket are being told box + 1 year subscription (6,000 B)

Bar owners in Chiangmai were asked 6000 for the license, although just rumours. No definite meeting with police like what happened in Pattaya.

Euro games are mainly on Channel 3... A few are on 5 and 9. The signal is blocked on TRUE as you already know for live games. The paid service is for when they start showing the Npower champ and Bundesliga next season.

I too also think TRUE are up shit creak. GMM have covered themselves against outright uproar by saying people can use a standard ariel antenna. If they do stand by their promise of English commentary then they will have done better than TRUE achieved during the world cup 2 years ago.

True's only chance is to show the games on their HD channels, they should also compensate GMM for this. Only fair to long term subscribers that they make the channel free to air for these games if that does happen.

As I've said before, my friend at The Nation has asked all these relevant questions including about bar licenses to the GMM M.D. Should get a reply soon and once I know I'll post here.

Edited by bangkok blue

Thanks for the clarification. I take it it's just a waiting game to see how things pan out. Would be intersted in hearing what the reply is to your friend. A lot of bar owners here in Phuket are willing to pay for the box if it's the only option but don't want the brown mafia coming around handing out obscure fines. The licencing fee issue is the key info we need.

Bu$$er off bar owners and use the other threads that are being used by the commercial establishments to discuss Euro 2012. The other threads seem to have descended into the commercial side.

Personally, I prefer not to have the domestic customer being drowned out or diverted by discussion on this thread about how much the licesne will be for a bar owner. It was my impression that having paid the 1,590 the domestic customer would not have to pay to get the Euro content (although you commercial bods have now sown the seed of doubt in my mind as to whether this is just giving one the power to watch the free to air Thai channels with their limited English commentary oe whether it includes their own programming with more English commetrary capability)

If I got that wrong and others want to hear that full picture on this thread I'll relent, but I can see lots of houses being gone around if we have both discussions running.

As soon as I know the full story I'll post it here. Seems crazy GMM can demand a license fee when the kick off times would cause bars to break their own alcohol sales licensing laws.... Hey ho.... TIT! rolleyes.gif

yes, does doesn't it. same happened last world cup though too - i also think there was some deal with breweries going on where if you bought enough coca cola or something off them they threw in one of the broadcast licenses. be interesting to see if GMM goes that route too. i recall that they were quite easy to forge last time round.

Latest update is GMM will not give TRUE the signal for free. TRUE were invited by GMM to join them in the bid, but chose to ignore it.

My friend at The Nation has been trying to get some clarification on bar license issue... No one has replied yet. I have just posted on their facebook site. They've been pretty good at replying to people's questions so far. With a bit of a push from a few others this might get sorted sooner rather than later.

http://www.facebook.com/GMMSPORT