Eurovision Song Contest 2012!

Eurovision Coming soon. I'm so excited. Are you excited?

Honestly, I only learned about Eurovision a few years ago from youtube. What a tragedy to grow up without Eurovision.

Watched my first Eurovision finale (2011) for the first time last night. I must say the winning song was pretty crap. How does it happen? There were obviously much better acts in the finale. I don't get it. Anyway, hopefully in 2012 the best song actually wins.

2011 winner. Yuck:

This is fun for me as I do realize some of these acts are famous in Europe, etc. but they were all totally new to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2012

What are your favorites for 2012?

JT ... Noooooooooooooooooooooo

You have 20 16 mins left to change your mind and edit your thread to Blank.

Please.

Assuming that you have made your mind up and sticking with it ... Junior Eurovision was recently decided!

I am a sad man to know this fact.

Note to self ... stop watching international news.

• Like 1

I don't understand.

You could recant your love of the Eurovision song contest and delete this subject ... maybe ... just asking ... nicely.

Edit ... Junior ...

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Eurovision is being spoiled by the introduction of all these eastern countries all voting for each other. Of course its always been a tad political but now its a nonsense.

Maybe its the UK's year...free Olympic tickets for votes scandal anyone?

I watch the voting only...as that is always hilarious.....is Terry Wogan still commentating?

Eurovision is being spoiled by the introduction of all these eastern countries all voting for each other. Of course its always been a tad political but now its a nonsense.

Maybe its the UK's year...free Olympic tickets for votes scandal anyone?

I watch the voting only...as that is always hilarious.....is Terry Wogan still commentating?

Apparently not.
On 11 August 2008, Wogan said in an interview with national magazine RadioTimes that he was 'very doubtful' about presenting the Eurovision Song Contest for the United Kingdom again, claiming it was "predictable" and "... no longer a music contest".[27] On 5 December 2008 Wogan officially stepped down from the role after 35 years. Graham Norton succeeded Wogan as BBC commentator for the 2009 contest. Norton said during the opening comments "I know, I miss Terry too." [28]
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Terry_Wogan

Yeah I noticed the geopolitical patterns of a lot of the voting. That is obviously messed up but the commentator acted like its mostly about neighboring countries being more familiar with the closer artists. That's probably part of it. Also a cheeky comment that very few countries have the money to host the contest anymore, so Azerbaijan (2012 host) with their oil money is one of the few left.

As far as the predictability, is it now predictable that a boring song like the 2011 winner will win? Italy came in second with an odd, sophisticated song. I wouldn't have thought it to be predictable for Italy to do that well. I reckon Sweden should have won with Popular. That would have probably been even more predictable.

So far this is the only 2012 entry I have watched. The Israeli entry. I think its a very good song and sound but the clown theme I find very creepy. I hope they change that.

Edited by Jingthing

A classic performer yes but why send someone so old?

The UK wants to win!

It won't work. OK, it might. Better odds than Blue.

Its Olympic year JT. We want winners...mind you the panel might not fancy hotel prices in London next year.

There...I got an excuse in if we lose. biggrin.png

Grew up with this. Total rubbish :P Watched it every year as a kid though, even though i knew at the time it was rubbish.

The only thing good about it was Wogan's dry sarcasm. Very funny man.

Grew up with this. Total rubbish tongue.png Watched it every year as a kid though, even though i knew at the time it was rubbish.

The only thing good about it was Wogan's dry sarcasm. Very funny man.

The new British commentator is also sarcastic. Part of the fun for sure.

Shouldn't this be on the Gay forum?rolleyes.gif

Good question. Should it be? I see the camp factor of course.

I do know that in The UK The Eurovision song contest is the viewing highlight of the year amongst the gay communities. Eurovision parties are held, where gays watch it together, squealing and making bitchy remarks about the costumes. A complete mystery to me. But so is the obsession with Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand and Kylie. Could someone enlighten me?

ole smokie ... do I gather from above you are now a fan (of the contest)?

Assuming so, who is your personal favourite?

I have always been a fan of the voting. If I'm pissed enough I will listen to a few of the tunes perhaps...if there is nothing better on TV.

I'm backing Engelbert to win...of course. Sadly Rolf harris is missing from the line up....Dame Edna would have been even better though...perhaps a cover version of Jake the Peg? rolleyes.gif

I actually think that overall the songs are better than 2011. I listened to all of them for 2012 already. There isn't really one that totally blows me away but I agree with the press that Sweden has good odds to win. The predictable winner as it were. Forget about Ireland and the U.K. -- it ain't gonna happen.

This one is catchy from Macedonia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-Xz6jwvlE

Yes I saw the link before for Macedonia but for some reason it didn't have this performance on it.

Edited by Jingthing

Shouldn't this be on the Gay forum?rolleyes.gif

Good question. Should it be? I see the camp factor of course.

I do know that in The UK The Eurovision song contest is the viewing highlight of the year amongst the gay communities. Eurovision parties are held, where gays watch it together, squealing and making bitchy remarks about the costumes. A complete mystery to me. But so is the obsession with Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand and Kylie. Could someone enlighten me?

Totally understandable. Sounds like the Oscar party phenom in the U.S. Making predictions is fun and it is common for there to be some kind of game with a prize for whoever predicts the most correct winners. I only know about Babs, so you'll have to ask someone gayer than me for your specific question. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

when I first saw the eurovision song contest in the UK about 25 years ago it was like acid as I couldn't believe that popular music could be so strange...the wife she knitted and said: 'siddown tutsi as I wanna watch what they do...'

she was insane and the UK was insane and I then lamented other foregone planetary options...

the darts and the snooker weren't half bad on the other channels I haveta admit (Alex Higgins vs Steve Davis: Star Wars)...and then there was the EastEnders omnibus and maybe a nice Sunday afternoon movie on ITV but the wife sez: 'get outta the way of the song contest or I'll kill ye...'