Extension Non Imm O Only After 60 Days ?

Since several years I apply without problems for an extension of a Non Imm O visa based on marriage,.

The previous years I always went to re-apply about 4 weeks before the expiry date of the extension and then I was called one day before this expiry date - i.e. about a month later - to get the new extension in my passport (at the same time I bought always a multiple re-entry visa)

As this year my extension expired on 27 May I went to the Immigration Office on 27 April but I was requested to come back to-day May 1st when they would have less work, which I did.

So again without complication I filed to-day the application forms for a new extension but to my surprise I was requested to come and get the new extension stamp in the passport not on 27 May but on 27 June i.e. after about two months.

My wife who was with me to do the talking asked under which status I would then stay in the country between 27 May and 27 June : indeed the extension will be expired as well as multi re-entry visa and the only reply she could get was ...but if I leave the country for a few days between 27 May and 27 June then I would have to buy a re-entry visa.

My comment : I am going to be without any Immigration approval in the country between 27 May and 27 June

My question : can I apply for a re-entry visa based on an expired extension on Non Imm O visa ?

Does any of the Forum members a similar experience?

You are currently under consideration and will have no problems, you are legally stying in the country. Normally they stamp your passport for an additional 30 days, it is a bit strange if they didn't do that. But I would not worry about it. Sometimes the process takes longer than 30 days and people don't get a new stamp for the extra time but get their extension without any problem.

Did you not get a normal under review stamp in your passport (this is Thai wife extension I suspect)? Many people have reported having a 30 day review stamp and being asked to return later without a stamp issued so it is not uncommon to be without the formal stamp. If re-entry were required I suspect they would have to provide such a stamp.

Surley what the OP experienced this time is the normal procedure for a 2.18 Extension, where an 'Under Consideration Stamp is issued running for one month from the expiry date of the old extension, you then go back then to get the remaining 11 months extension once it is approved.

Obviously there is an issue with re-entry permits - the existing re-entry permit should be valid up till the 27th May; if the OP wanted to travel overseas between the 27th May - 27 June then he would need to get a single re-entry permit, as I presume a multi re-entry taken out with the under consideration stamp would run out with that one month stamp.

Interesting... I too applied last month for an Extn. based on marriage, and was all prepared for getting a 30 day "under consideration" stamp. But no, I was given a 60 day under consideration stamp and told to come back on that 60th day exactly!

I questioned the dates but was told that the procedure had just changed. It must be across all offices as all applications go to Bangkok for approval.

Love to hear everyone else's experiences to confirm this new procedure. As the Op. & ChromaKey implied, this new procedure really mucks up re-entry permits and I can't quite get my head around how to work it with re-entry permits now.

Edited by Marvo

You would have to have a new re-entry permit for the under review period if you travel (and return before it ends).

Lopburi, could you be kind enough to explain to me how the 1Yr extension dates work, along with "under consideration" periods. For example, does the under consideration period get rolled into the 1Yr extension period, so now I will be " under consideration" for 2 months and then receive an extension for 10 months?

Last stamp permitted to stay is current stay so when you get a new such stamp a new re-entry permit would be required to cover that period of time AFAIK. As have not traveled for many years have no personal experience with re-entry permits for a long time.

You would have to have a new re-entry permit for the under review period if you travel (and return before it ends).

Lopburi, could you be kind enough to explain to me how the 1Yr extension dates work, along with "under consideration" periods. For example, does the under consideration period get rolled into the 1Yr extension period, so now I will be " under consideration" for 2 months and then receive an extension for 10 months?

If you go in one month before your extension is up in my area (Phuket), then they have given 60 Day 'Under Consideration' Stamps for some time now.

If you go in just before your extension is up then you only get a 30 Day 'Under Condsideration' Stamp.

It seems that either way there is a 30 day period running from the extension renewal date, where on leaving the country you would need to purchase an additional re-entry permit, plus you need to be in Thailand towards the end of that period to revisit Immigration and get your 11 months 'approved' stamp.

Don't see or know of any way around this as regards re-entry permits.

Edited by digitalchromakey

If you go in one month before your extension is up in my area (Phuket), then they have given 60 Day 'Under Consideration' Stamps for some time now.

If you go in just before your extension is up then you only get a 30 Day 'Under Condsideration' Stamp.

It seems that either way there is a 30 day period running from the extension renewal date, where on leaving the country you would need to purchase an additional re-entry permit, plus you need to be in Thailand towards the end of that period to revisit Immigration and get your 11 months 'approved' stamp.

Don't see or know of any way around this as regards re-entry permits.

For some reason they make it 30 days from when your permit to stay date. Looked at my stamps and noticed they even did it when I was a couple weeks early. Those are stamps done here at Phibun.

For some reason they make it 30 days from when your permit to stay date. Looked at my stamps and noticed they even did it when I was a couple weeks early. Those are stamps done here at Phibun.

You appear to be exactly right Joe. Same here. So it looks like they always make us wait the 30 days from end of previous extn. of stay (being under consideration), then give 11 months extn of stay (based on marriage). So in actual fact, we never actauly get 12 months extension of stay, we will always get 1 month "under consideration" (for which we may need a re-entry permit) and then get 11 months extn. of stay for which we have to buy yet another re-entry permit. Would be nice if we could just buy a 12 month re-entry permit, not linked to extn. dates, and be done with it.

Actually suspect you should look at the 30 day under consideration as the first month of the 12 month extension (all extensions are 1,900 baht and TM.7 card). So the only issue is the re-entry permit which I suspect most people will not require.

Actually suspect you should look at the 30 day under consideration as the first month of the 12 month extension (all extensions are 1,900 baht and TM.7 card). So the only issue is the re-entry permit which I suspect most people will not require.

Good point Lopburi, and if no travel is required in that "1st month", then an 11 month re-entry permit would do the trick. Just a thousand baht extra on the cost of the trip if the initial 30 day re-entry permit is required. I won't get too upset ;-)