Departure From The Kingdom Denied. Active Work Permit.

The last month a number of ESL Teachers have been denied departure from the Kingdom (at land crossings) because thier work permits are still active.

Clearence has only been granted when the school has faxed a 'headed' letter confirming the person is no longer employed.....at the date of attempted departure.

The working visa and work permit are interlinked.. Should either expire or be terminated you must immediately transfer to a Tourist visa.

If you have not co-ordinated with your employer (nicely!) when your work contact has completed (or been terminated) and decide to have a relaxing island holiday until your visa/work permit expires.......your end-of-contract date takes president and you will be fined as overstay from the EoC date.

Some teachers have faced a 10k overstay fine whilst in visa limbo at immigraton posts...for a couple of days. However this has been rescinded by the grace of the school director with a phone call and a fax....the now ex-employee has then been allowed to depart without being fined.....probably never to return.

I was told this is enabled by newly introduced online data-tracking.

Without loading the reply dice too much...one should carefully research and select the establishment granting you a work visa and permit....once you sign....your short and curlies will now be firmly in their grasp.

Wai, smile, wai again, keep smiling and NEVER EVER utter a truism.

Kitbaikitmah

Small detail - there is no such thing as a Working Visa in Thailand - the law is clear:

1) You either have a Multi Entry Non Immigrant Type 'B' Visa where you must leave and re-enter Thailand at least every 90 days - this is not locked to your Work Permit, so the current entry remains valid as are any other entries made before the Visa 'Use Before' once your Work Permit is cancelled.

2) If, however you are on an Extension of Permission to Stay for Teaching (National Police Order 777/2551 Section 2.6, 2.7) issued by your Local Immigration Office within Thailand, then your permission ends the day your Work ends - the WP must be cancelled and you must make other arrangements for extension, else exit Thailand that day to get a new visa, or re-enter with a Visa Exempt Entry (30 days by air or 15 days by land).

Edited by digitalchromakey

I have had 3 work permits in 2 years, two for teaching and one for resort managing. I have never received a letter from any of them stating that my employment was finished. I have always gone to the labor office and informed them myself, without any letter from my employer.

"Some teachers have faced a 10k overstay fine whilst in visa limbo at immigraton posts...for a couple of days"

They have been on more than a couple of days overstay for a 10k fine....try 20 days overstay

Believe what has been written here contains misinformation,half truths and misunderstanding of the actual system

If the persons concerned were on extension of stay for purposes of employment the day their work is finished, they should be leaving the country or pay THB1900 for a 7 day extension or face overstay fines.

I believe this is the situation the OP is talking about and this is nothing new....person(s) on extension of stay have finished work and they have stayed in country on holiday

My contract, WP and my extension of stay were due to expire in October. However, I terminated my contract earlier than planned and my last day of work was 24 April. On 24 April I flew out of Thailand and returned the same day and had no problems leaving or entering. I received a 30 day tourist visa (UK passport holder) at Suvarnabhumi, no questions. My WP has still not been officially cancelled as I have not got round to visiting the Ministry of Labour.

Edited by pj123