Large Motorcycle Market Research

xbusman

One of my US customers owns a network of Motorcycle retail outlets and handles a pretty large quantity of used motorcycles. Years ago, they imported into SE asia but the market died in 97 with the crash and since then the imports into Thailand have been coming from Japan.

From what I understand about the current imports, the bikes out of Japan are all legit and sold at auction for a very low price in Japan, it appears the Japanese are also fixated on having new vehicles and the market for used is at give away prices. Most of the large bikes appear to be brought over as filler in containers that are mostly loaded with cars for the large auto dealers.

Based on the baht exchange rate, there may be a window to import bikes from the US, particularly Harley's. The thing I dont know is what bikes actually wholesale or retail for, people have a tendency to be creative with their answers for personal or business reasons.

This group is a pretty knowledgable group as well as pretty savvy negotiators. If your willing to share details on your ride and what you actually paid for it out the door I would greatly appreciate the input, particularly for the Harley riders among us. Or if you really have a feel for what others have paid that input would be appreciated as well.

I would also like to hear your speculation on the total size of the import market. From just casual observation I would guess it to be between 2000 and 5000 bikes per year.

Appreciate any and all input.

From what I understand about the current imports, the bikes out of Japan are all legit and sold at auction for a very low price in Japan, it appears the Japanese are also fixated on having new vehicles and the market for used is at give away prices.

Over the years I've heard so many times that bikes are stolen in Japan but I've often wondered why they always come with what looks like the original ignition switch and keys, same too for the steering head lock. :o

The thing I dont know is what bikes actually wholesale or retail for, people have a tendency to be creative with their answers for personal or business reasons.

This group is a pretty knowledgable group as well as pretty savvy negotiators. If your willing to share details on your ride and what you actually paid for it out the door I would greatly appreciate the input, particularly for the Harley riders among us. Or if you really have a feel for what others have paid that input would be appreciated as well.

Bought my 98 Heritage (5k on the clock) in 2000 for 700,000. At the time some others were going for 650-850k but can't recall the years or mileages or what custom add ons were already on the bikes.

It seemed to me that the less popular HDs were cheaper overall, ie. Bad Boy, Dyna, Deuce, Night Train and obviously the 883 and 1200 Sportsters.

Prices varied in the shops too depending whether it was a customer selling it on a 'sale or return' basis, the shop selling a bike bought from the importer, or from a customers trade-in. And of course some bikes were already registered and others had to have an extra fee added for registration (+ another extra fee if the buyer wants special numbers i.e. 777, 1234, etc.

As for other makes, when I was looking for an Africa Twin or BMW 650 there was a vast difference in prices from shop to shop. Some were old with high mileage going for close to 200k and others which were newer with less on the clock were cheaper. It was at this time that I became familiar with 400 Transalps, a few shops were selling them at 120-140k and others for 190-200k. I ended up buying one privately for 50k. You can't even get a guideline using c.c.'s as 400 fours range from around 55- 100k. Perhaps these are cheaper due to popularity as they're affordable and rideable for alot of Thais. :D

I would also like to hear your speculation on the total size of the import market. From just casual observation I would guess it to be between 2000 and 5000 bikes per year.

Sorry, I can't even take a wild guess. It does appear to be on the rise though judging from the little back soi shops that are popping up near me in the Rangsit area. Shops that are selling only bikes over 400cc and mostly cruisers.

The only ones who would know the exact figures of bikes brought in from Japan would be the importers themselves maybe. No doubt they'd be reluctant to tell you anyway even if they did know.

Maybe a few visits to the warehouses on Rama III where the bikes are re-assembled might give you a better idea.

:D

xbusman, you might find this 2004 report from the US govt. interesting. The topic of the report is Thailand Trade Barriers. I have personal experience trying to bring in a used bike about four years ago. It was a no go for anyone trying to import for resale.

Here is a small snipit of the report:

Quantitative Restrictions and Import Licensing

Thailand is still in the process of changing its import licensing procedures to comply with its WTO

obligations. Import licenses are required for at least 26 categories of items, including many raw

materials, petroleum, industrial materials, textiles, pharmaceuticals, and agricultural items.

Imports of used motorcycles and parts and gaming machines are prohibited. Imports of other products

must meet burdensome regulatory requirements, including extra fees and certificate-of-origin

requirements.

Since I manufacture motorcycle parts in Thailand I already have an import/export license for motorcycle parts, new and used. I have the process down on the grey market side, just need to see if the numbers make sense.

Count me in for a good-as-new Honda Trans Alp then, provided it can be registered and licensed. No smoke and mirrors please. :o

Well isnt that a problem with all the large bikes? I hear over and over from owners that getting spares is a real problem but they still seem to buy the big ones. Personally, I really like my Honda Phantom "200cc's of RAW POWER" which has been plenty powerful for the 7 kmh we can travel in Bangkok. Parts are easy to get and it hardly uses fuel.

I thought about specializing in a few bike models and stocking parts for them as well but I think big bike buyers are pretty particular and like the variety.