Australia Wants Thai Workers To Work In Its Construction Industry

webfact

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Australian government made an announcement on this today. P.M Gillard says that there will be 1,700 positions for skilled labour from across the globe. I guess either Australia has got it wrong or Thailand has got it wrong. Australia say 1,700 worldwide and Thailand say 20,000 from Thailand. Someone has seriously got the figures wrong.

Maybe they just seconded someone from TAT to assist with the media release. We know how good they are with figures. Honest mistake and could happen to anyone.

Settle down lads this will NEVER happen.

How many Thais do you know that can speak AUSTRALIAN......whistling.gif

I think I know more Austalian´s speeking Thai.rolleyes.gif

Never found one that could say g'day yet. well apart from my son.

Mr. Greg Wallace, Shame on you. Maybe we should import one Thai MP to replace your job.

What t an excellent idea, lets send the whole bunch to Australia, that should be far enough from Thailand.laugh.png

Great idea the standard of politicians in Thailand are well above those of Australia. Australian politicians could learn a lot from thier Thai Friends. Both have 1st time female P.M's and if I had to choose b/w Yinluk or Julia then Yinluk would win hands down as she is by far the one with the highest IQ. Yep lets swap governments then people in Thailand would really have something to complain about and the country would be destroyed in a matter of days.

blink.png Can this be true?blink.png

Settle down lads this will NEVER happen.

How many Thais do you know that can speak AUSTRALIAN......whistling.gif

I think I know more Austalian´s speeking Thai.rolleyes.gif

How many Australians do you know who can speak English.giggle.gif

On a serious note I can see where on large construction projects such as thaihome was talking about it would work fine. But how about the smaller jobs where you might have just a five man crew.? Seems to me a Thai would need to be able to speak and read English.

• Like 1

The Australian government made an announcement on this today. P.M Gillard says that there will be 1,700 positions for skilled labour from across the globe. I guess either Australia has got it wrong or Thailand has got it wrong. Australia say 1,700 worldwide and Thailand say 20,000 from Thailand. Someone has seriously got the figures wrong.

No foreigners in Aussie mining jobs: PM

14:23 AEDT Sat May 26 2012

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has vowed a new feature to the government's skilled migration plan would ensure that that no foreign worker would take an Australian job in the mining sector.

This comes after union leaders lashed out at the federal government's skilled migration plan that would allow mining magnate Gina Rinehart to bring in 1700 foreign workers.

In Melbourne on Saturday, Ms Gillard announced that a "jobs board" would be created that would give Australian workers information about what jobs were available in the resources sector.

"Yesterday I decided we would add to what we're doing to make sure that Aussies are getting the jobs," Ms Gillard said.

"Companies won't be able to bring in foreign workers if there is an Australian ready, able and willing to do the work."

This comes after Immigration Minister Chris Bowen announced on Friday the government program to allow enterprise migration agreements (EMA) would help mining companies find enough workers for their developments.

They won't have any problems filling positions with Aussies as they come up as you virtually have to kill someone to get a job or have a contact in the industry. My good mate in Nakon Sawon who after 25 yrs as a copper in Aust now works as a security gaurd in the mines, 2wks on 2wks off, fly in / fly out ex Perth and earns up to 200K AUD. (wages, allowances & tax breaks for remote locality etc) He flys from BKK to Perth and they fly him from there. 12 hr shifts but 2 days are taken up with travelling and admin so 60 hr weeks and 5 weeks leave per year.

Mr. Greg Wallace, Shame on you. Maybe we should import one Thai MP to replace your job.

What t an excellent idea, lets send the whole bunch to Australia, that should be far enough from Thailand.laugh.png

Great idea the standard of politicians in Thailand are well above those of Australia. Australian politicians could learn a lot from thier Thai Friends. Both have 1st time female P.M's and if I had to choose b/w Yinluk or Julia then Yinluk would win hands down as she is by far the one with the highest IQ. Yep lets swap governments then people in Thailand would really have something to complain about and the country would be destroyed in a matter of days.

blink.png Can this be true?blink.png

Sad but unfortunately true.

• Like 1

The food would not be a problem if they all learn to like lamb. wink.png

I really have no idea why everyone thinks Australia is the land of sheep - NEW ZEALAND is full of the bloody things - Australia has a lot of beef cattle and SHEDLOADS of bloody 'roos...NOT that many sheep... we do have SOME sheep.

In Australia its the Kiwis who are known as the sheep-shaggers!

Never found one that could say g'day yet. well apart from my son.

All I can think of is the image of the Thai workers wondering why the Australians all greet each other by saying "rabbit"... ( G'day sounds a lot like the Thai word for rabbit - กระต่าย "gra dtaai")

I honestly do think the Australian government has taken leave of its senses (unsurprising) - although there are some very good construction workers in Thailand, the point is that there are tens of thousands of Australians out of work - so what they need to do is to put more effecive controls on who gets the dole, and get some of the locals in their own country off their backsides and into the workforce.

Also - its true that Thai's could earn a lot more in Australia than in Thailand (when converted to Baht), but the cost of existing in Australia, based on cost of food, housing, transport, taxes etc, comes out so much higher, that any advantage is basically lost and then some - its simply not worth it - I know because I know someone who did exactly this - went to Australia to live, and has since found it almost impossible to make ends meet.

Put work visa protections in law: Greens

• May 28, 20122:08PM

AUSTRALIA Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young says the federal government needs to make its new enterprise migration agreements (EMAs) program more accountable.

Some Labor MPs are concerned the EMAs - the first of which will apply to a major West Australian mining project by magnate Gina Rinehart - will put migrant workers ahead of Australians looking for work.

Senator Hanson-Young said the program needed greater protections.

"Where are the protections for these workers' rights?" she told reporters in Canberra today.

"Where are the protections to ensure Australian workers get first dibs on these jobs?

"None of that is in legislation or regulation ... that needs to be tightened."

Gina Reinhart Australia 's worlds richest woman.. she should be ashamed of herself.

gina%20rinehart%20large_030212081638.jpg

I personally find her an unpleasant piece of work

Her only talent seems to be eating, she inherited her money. Her kids have filed a lawsuit to get their cut because she is hogging it. pun intended.

• Like 1

Gina Reinhart Australia 's worlds richest woman.. she should be ashamed of herself.

gina%20rinehart%20large_030212081638.jpg

I personally find her an unpleasant piece of work

I do also.. and so do most of her kids apparently!

This woman would have been in an ideal situation to offer numerous apprenticeships in the Pilbara ....her kids and grand children's / fellow Australian's future...

nah.. pure greed!

Edited by edwinclapham

They won't have any problems filling positions with Aussies as they come up as you virtually have to kill someone to get a job or have a contact in the industry. My good mate in Nakon Sawon who after 25 yrs as a copper in Aust now works as a security gaurd in the mines, 2wks on 2wks off, fly in / fly out ex Perth and earns up to 200K AUD. (wages, allowances & tax breaks for remote locality etc) He flys from BKK to Perth and they fly him from there. 12 hr shifts but 2 days are taken up with travelling and admin so 60 hr weeks and 5 weeks leave per year.

You hit it on the head when you said about having a contact in the industry. There seems to be plenty of people wanting to give it a go but they don't know how to get a toehold in the door...Especially so with the lower Eastern seaboard.

I think my pet monkey could do a better job of running a government that Julia.whistling.gif

The Prime Minister is trying to contain reports of another leadership challenge.

It comes amid a bitter cabinet rift over claims she was ambushed by the controversial approval of 1700 foreign workers for a West Australian mining project.

Federal cabinet is apparently divided over the integrity of the prime minister, with senior ministers disputing her claim she didn't know until the last minute about a deal to allow foreign workers into Australia.

Yep I think Yingluk has more integrity than Julia. Apparently Julia doesn't even know what is happening in Australia with the recruitment of Thai workers.

You hit it on the head when you said about having a contact in the industry. There seems to be plenty of people wanting to give it a go but they don't know how to get a toehold in the door...Especially so with the lower Eastern seaboard.

I think the key is to apply from Thailand and not within Australia.

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is attending official functions with her Thai counterpart, Yingluck Shinawatra, as a battle rages over jobs and the loyalty of her MPs.

It's a welcome distraction for Ms Gillard as tension mounts over rumours of another Kevin Rudd challenge and the fallout of mining magnate Gina Rinehart's deal to import 1700 foreign workers.

Labor MPs arriving for four days of parliament sittings on Monday have been tight-lipped about reports chief government whip Joel Fitzgibbon has been counting the numbers for former leader Kevin Rudd.

And caucus members are at odds over who is to blame for the bungled announcement on Friday of a deal to allow the world's richest woman, Gina Rinehart, to import 1700 workers to help build a massive iron ore project in Western Australia.

Fairfax reported that ministers Chris Bowen and Martin Ferguson, who backed Mr Rudd in February's leadership ballot, have told colleagues they were hung out to dry by Ms Gillard as she distanced herself from the worker visa policy in a bid to placate unions.

610511-gillard-thai-pm.jpg

Prime Minister Julia Gillard meets with Thailand's Prime Minister Ms Yingluck Shinawatra in Parliament House in Canberra.

Picture: Gary Ramage

Source: The Daily Telegraph

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is attending official functions with her Thai counterpart, Yingluck Shinawatra, as a battle rages over jobs and the loyalty of her MPs.

It's a welcome distraction for Ms Gillard as tension mounts over rumours of another Kevin Rudd challenge and the fallout of mining magnate Gina Rinehart's deal to import 1700 foreign workers.

Labor MPs arriving for four days of parliament sittings on Monday have been tight-lipped about reports chief government whip Joel Fitzgibbon has been counting the numbers for former leader Kevin Rudd.

And caucus members are at odds over who is to blame for the bungled announcement on Friday of a deal to allow the world's richest woman, Gina Rinehart, to import 1700 workers to help build a massive iron ore project in Western Australia.

Fairfax reported that ministers Chris Bowen and Martin Ferguson, who backed Mr Rudd in February's leadership ballot, have told colleagues they were hung out to dry by Ms Gillard as she distanced herself from the worker visa policy in a bid to placate unions.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard meets with Thailand's Prime Minister Ms Yingluck Shinawatra in Parliament House in Canberra.

That is a nasty bit of business.

There is a tornado brewing and Julia could lose her job over this. Anyone remember the Patricks / MUA fight where Patricks wanted to bring in thier own work force from overseas and sack all the Australian workers. Yinluk is doing the right thing by Thais but Julia is selling out australians. Deja Vu I think.

All this whinginging about having to apply for jobs in australia from overseas is a load of <deleted>!! many of the labour recruiting centres for mines and gasfields have been closed down through lack of local applicants here in southern queensland,for the people who are serious about working there are jobs galore , but still over 60% of vacancies are going to overseas workers, it seems they dont take 2sickies for State of Origin

There is a tornado brewing and Julia could lose her job over this. Anyone remember the Patricks / MUA fight where Patricks wanted to bring in thier own work force from overseas and sack all the Australian workers. Yinluk is doing the right thing by Thais but Julia is selling out australians. Deja Vu I think.

remember the mua -patricks fight, another union instigated disturbance, I mean the employers only objected to paying workers 48 hours pay when the workers concerned were only turning up for 20 hours work a week,the brisbane docks at the time had the worst turnaround times in the world,to unload and load a specific ship in brisbane anything up to 7 days, the same ship load and unload in Hamburg 36 hours and in singapore only 18hours, the probablem lies with the work ethics of many australian workers ,who have got the art of skiving and taking sickies down pat, what happened to a fair days work for a fair days paywai.gif

All this whinginging about having to apply for jobs in australia from overseas is a load of <deleted>!! many of the labour recruiting centres for mines and gasfields have been closed down through lack of local applicants here in southern queensland,for the people who are serious about working there are jobs galore , but still over 60% of vacancies are going to overseas workers, it seems they dont take 2sickies for State of Origin

Why would they want Thais? When I read on Thaivisa that they can't get Thais to work for them or that there is full employment and they have to hire illegal Burmese, Cambodian, etc. So why would not Australia hire Burmese, Cambodian, etc. as well since they are cheaper than Thais apparently?

Why would they want Thais? When I read on Thaivisa that they can't get Thais to work for them or that there is full employment and they have to hire illegal Burmese, Cambodian, etc. So why would not Australia hire Burmese, Cambodian, etc. as well since they are cheaper than Thais apparently?

There is a statutory minimum wage no matter what nationality!