State Of Play In Your Relationship.

Your current relationship status.  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My head is buzzing at the constant battles in connection with relationships between Westerners and Thais. Everybody seems to have a level of certitude in their own opinion and they are constantly trying to project ( nay, ram down other people's throats ) what that opinion may be.

Okay, up to you. Where I'm from we are taught to never interfere in someone else's marriage, and interfering in a relationship very often has unintended consequences. Yes I am quite prepared to believe some of the horror stories that are knocking about, but I don't need to go to Thailand to hear about relationship horror stories.

I've tried to cover most eventualities in the poll. The first two questions are not multiple choice, the third one is, as it deals with two issues. As the vast majority of the membership is not Thai I have slanted the questions towards the non Thai members. Apologies to our Thai members I don't have enough questions available to include you as a separate category.

There is no need for a separate category for our gay or female members, I believe all options listed are sufficient for everyone. If you have been in a long term live in relationship with an unmarried partner, and that has come to an end, choose the separated option.

I have no idea what the results of this poll are going to be, I have a hope that there are far more successful relationships out there than some people would expect. I have a hunch that a lot of members who are in long term successful relationships here in Thailand read the battle zone threads in amazement then move on, without participating.

Maybe that's just me, maybe I'm a big romantic wub.png with my head in the clouds. I would like to see your opinion though, I just don't believe, as someone said today on another thread, that 95% of Thai / Westerner marriages are destined to end in the divorce courts.

So here goes!!........I'm going to grab a beer and watch the results flow in drunk.gif. I know what the romantic me is hoping for 402.gif402.gif402.gif

But I fear the worst violin.gif .................let's go!!!!!

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there should be an option in the first categorie ,i am seeing a handful of women but unsure if any of them will go the distance smile.png

I am handy with a needle an thread if ya ever need my services. Just send a PM. Cheap rates. wai.gif

Edited by smokie36

The poll needs some fixes, example, I voted, optton 2, meaning no partner.... so all the following questions do not apply. When I tried to vote, got a message that I need to vote in each section..... poll failed. Also how about, an option for "lost all hope, out of the game" (?) .bah.gifviolin.gif

Good idea and better then most (including myself) could have concocted BUT ...

No LadyBoy option, TiT after all ... whistling.gif (some stories are hard to live down ... memorable though)

One serious additional question ... "How honest were you in answering the Questions above?"

This one has been civil so far Simon. Never give up hope!

Patiently I am waiting for PayBoy to comment ... rolleyes.gif

OH ... I was voter #29

Interesting well thought out poll.

I have always been interested in how long people dated before marriage. Scarily most appear to marry extremely fast and this seems to correlate with the posts made by guys who's marriage went upside down and they lost everything. Over my years if I had to toss out an average it seems most marry within a year after meeting and that is after they just finished exiting another.

I dunno...I would think guys would want some free time. However co dependency is a strong vice to break.

Madness Video

You sir, are a man of of excellent taste in music.

In respect to the thread, It is unfortunate it could not be constructed to show the age difference in respect to the support%. (I know it can't be done without making it confusing, so not a criticism.)

My gut feeling is that the old + young relationships are distinguished by one partner being significantly dependant upon the other.

Anyway, bottom line is that if it works for some and they are happy, bless them.

Interesting well thought out poll.

I have always been interested in how long people dated before marriage. Scarily most appear to marry extremely fast and this seems to correlate with the posts made by guys who's marriage went upside down and they lost everything. Over my years if I had to toss out an average it seems most marry within a year after meeting and that is after they just finished exiting another.

I dunno...I would think guys would want some free time. However co dependency is a strong vice to break.

I found it extremely hard to manage a long distance relationship UK - Australia (albeit my wife is a Thai) but we dated for approx. 2 years before decidiing to marry. My father is great friends with her family in Issan so whilst nothing is cast in stone I knew her history and from whence she came.

"I have a hunch that a lot of members who are in long term successful relationships here in Thailand read the battle zone threads in amazement then move on, without participating."

Correct!

That is like writing a response in a thread about not writing a response.

No LadyBoy option, TiT after all ... whistling.gif (some stories are hard to live down ... memorable though)

One serious additional question ... "How honest were you in answering the Questions above?"

This one has been civil so far Simon. Never give up hope!

Patiently I am waiting for PayBoy to comment ... rolleyes.gif

OH ... I was voter #29

The Tiffany contest was last night. May take a while. Everyone who was anyone was there.

"I have a hunch that a lot of members who are in long term successful relationships here in Thailand read the battle zone threads in amazement then move on, without participating."

Correct!

Seeing you are taking the "moderating role" I once again wai.gif to your extreme knowledge.

Now go and pick on someone your own size!

Edited by edwinclapham

Good ol' Kerry

Correct!

Seeing you are taking the "moderating role" I once again wai.gif to your extreme knowledge.

Good ol' Kerry...

The Tiffany contest was last night. May take a while. Everyone who was anyone was there.

Well, I suppose that makes me, by definition ... a no-body ... unsure.png

I was in Thailand this time last year and had I know it was on, would have given thought to going.

There’s a thought for a new thread ... a Thailand Bucket List ... any one know if it's been done in recent years can you PM me rather then post here and detract from theblether’s post?

If not, I might kick it off in a week or two.

Edited by David48

Correct!

Since there have been only 58 votes and 400 views perhaps you are correct? Are you?

Edited by kerryk

On a taxi ride from the airport I was talking with the driver, trying to explain him (in Thai) that I was married and living in Hong Kong but my wife was Thai and I was going to our house. He was a bit confused, honestly my Thai is not that good. But suddenly he got it, I thought, and replied me with a big smile "so you have a wife in Hong Kong and mia noi in Bangkok". That was my turn to be confused and couldn't find anything else to reply but " kind of, just it's the same person".

So how do I answer your poll ?

Edited by JurgenG

what about the people who may have :

a wife on paper

a gf closeby

a gik or two who visit sometimes

and random one night stands here and there ......

dont forget ,this is a survey about thailand :)

I'm afraid many of the choices apply to me that may seem mutually exclusive to most, and none of them describe my situation accurately.

The most obvious simplification is the use of singular in the title.

What about questions like:

"With how many partners are you currently involved?"

"What is the average number of partners you have been involved with at any given time over your time in Thailand?"

"What is the average length of time a SO has lived with you, counting only those that have stayed more than a month?"

"What percentage of these relationships would you save have ended amicably, where you would still speak well of each other?"

"What percentage of these ex-SOs have remained in contact with you after the relationship ended?"

• Like 1