Eczema - General Question

lesw

Hi there, we're planning on a long vacation in Thailand starting February with our 14 month old son. However we have one real concern in that he has had bad eczema which has now subsided to a greater extent but we're worried about the elevated temperatures and humididty and how it will affect him.

Can I ask if anyone has personal experience of eczema in Thailand and how it reacted?

Many Thanks in Advance

even im a thai , i got eczema from time to time especially in summer (hot and sweat)

you have to find out what is the REAL cause of eczema you get ..and in case of irritant contact dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis ..you have to escape from the allergen

cause

-infection

-heat-sweating

-irritants

-emotional stress

in my case..mostly it was from heat-weat

what i do are

- try to shower more often

-wear with thin shirt

-cold compressed with ice cube (this one look sexy :o )

-use antihistamin lotion as caladryl

-use steroid cream

-Paeng Tra Ngoo -Pickly Heat Powder

As a born eczema sufferer (and I am 100% asian) i have found it has actually improved since i have been in Thailand. It never completely goes for me but there are times where it doesnt bother me at all.

As bambina correctly points out there are different types of eczema. I am sure you are aware of this already though.

Mine was mainly from heat sweating and stress. Good advice from Bambina in the post above. Prickly heat powder worked wonders for me. Steriod cream too but use this sparingly and i only use this in extreme cases.

When out and about having a small cloth with you might be a good idea since when it got hot and sweaty and that brought on the itchiness a few ice cubes wrapped up in this cloth left on the itchy area did the business.

Also i found that going into the sea helped it out too.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say.... I was diagnosed with eczema at the age of 2 and suffered all my life into my late 30's.

The worst time was in tropical heat. After a particularly horrific and stressful period, I took control of my own health and listened to the doctors no more. Through my own studies, I deducted that I had a severe gluten intolerance and cut wheat products out of my life forever.

No more eczema, no more misery! I'm free! :o

I must say.... I was diagnosed with eczema at the age of 2 and suffered all my life into my late 30's.

The worst time was in tropical heat. After a particularly horrific and stressful period, I took control of my own health and listened to the doctors no more. Through my own studies, I deducted that I had a severe gluten intolerance and cut wheat products out of my life forever.

I also have been diagnosed with eczema (in the last 3 years -- I'm 55) and use steroid cream to go after the outbursts. While I was in Thailand, the symptoms were reduced, but returned viciously when I came back to a cold climate. I do want to try the Prickly Heat treatment mentioned earlier, but this is the first time I have seen a connection with gluten intolerance. Are you sure you did not have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, which is certainly connected with a gluten intolerance?

No more eczema, no more misery! I'm free! :D

I also have been diagnosed with eczema (in the last 3 years -- I'm 55) and use steroid cream to go after the outbursts. While I was in Thailand, the symptoms were reduced, but returned viciously when I came back to a cold climate. I do want to try the Prickly Heat treatment mentioned earlier, but this is the first time I have seen a connection with gluten intolerance. Are you sure you did not have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, which is certainly connected with a gluten intolerance?

No idea- all I know is that when I banned gluten products from my life the "eczema" that doctors and dermatologists had diagnosed me with all my life... disappeared, never to return! What a relief after a life of suffering.... :o

Don't forget that your diet is very different in Asia compared to the West (where wheat products are so much a part of your eating habits).

In the past, when eczema was still a problem for me, I always found that my problem areas with eczema (mainly wrists and hands) cleared up completely while in Thailand.

My Eczema also cleared once I moved here. Was expecting it to get worse not better. Suffer with it on both shins

It returned when I visited the UK over Christmas - I think it was stress related though! Been back in BKK for a week and it's gone again.

I'm also suffering from this dreaded irritation. I've been using steriod cream as well but want to stop using it since it thin you skin. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF NATURAL CURES OR A GOOD DOCTOR IN THAILAND WHICH SPECIALIZED IN THIS FIELD?. I would like to go see him/her during my month long vacation in April

Good post 'khall64au' for the past 18 months I have been excluding foods from my diet.

Hi khall64au, I cannot believe you are an eczema sufferer. It sure doesn't show!

Mine left me with tons of scarring (still!) despite all the creams, steroid injections, etc. :o

I have also heard of eating foods according to your blood type. Is this similar to what you are doing when you left wheat out of your diet or you are simply doing it only for eczema?

Hi there, we're planning on a long vacation in Thailand starting February with our 14 month old son. However we have one real concern in that he has had bad eczema which has now subsided to a greater extent but we're worried about the elevated temperatures and humididty and how it will affect him.

Can I ask if anyone has personal experience of eczema in Thailand and how it reacted?

Many Thanks in Advance

My 2 year old suffers from eczema too. The humidity in Thailand helps sometimes as the air is not too dry, but when sweat gets in the mix, things can become bad very quickly.

Everyone's tips above are very helpful.

- A lot of light clothes (very light cotton vests for babies which you can get very cheap in Thailand; t-shirts are too hot for him in the day time, and I don't put on any shoes for him)

- No disposable pampers, only cotton shorts. If you have to use pampers/ nappies, use cloth ones and bring a few to change. Those ready-to-wear cotton nappies with absorbing pads in the middle are very helpful.

- I won't recommend prickly heat powder for a 14 month old though, not sure about the others?

- Iced towel/ wet wipes (and carry a few hand cotton towels with you)

- Drink lots of water (hard for a young one to do so, but give them ice cubes to suck constantly)

- Being in the sea seems to help clear up those eczema that has broken out

- I put on 26-27 degree C air con when he sleeps (day/ night time). The cooler temperature and lower humidity in an air con room seemed to help him sleep better with no sweating - no blankets required (depending on the temperature and the clothes he wear to sleep) so it means no sweating.

Hope that helps and enjoy your time in Thailand!

:o

Edited by LadyinRed

I'm also suffering from this dreaded irritation. I've been using steriod cream as well but want to stop using it since it thin you skin. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF NATURAL CURES OR A GOOD DOCTOR IN THAILAND WHICH SPECIALIZED IN THIS FIELD?. I would like to go see him/her during my month long vacation in April

Hi again and thanks to everyone so far for your comments which are most welcome.

I thought I would add a little background information for anyone that's interested as we are lucky in that our son now only has a few traces of redness as opposed to a year ago when he was a mess.

My wife is Thai and I’m English so there’s a mixed gene pool involved in our son, although to look at him there are only a few Thai characteristics. We believe the problem originated when we stopped breast feeling too early. We had waited the minimum time before switch to bottle feeds and I blame myself for not having read enough before the decision was made to stop. Although it’s easy with hind sight to draw such conclusions as there’s no guarantee that continued breast feeling would have avoided the problems.

The diagnosis for our son was an allergy to Cow's milk which is very common here in Europe and the eczema and food allergies were in his case the symptoms. I also heard that there was a higher incidence for babies where one parent was asian to have allergic reactions to cow’s milk. As a result he was switched to a special baby milk called Nutramigen which doesn't cause the allergic reaction and given a low dosage steroid cream.

Initially the creams worked but that was short lived. I wasn’t happy using the cream because as you’ll be aware steroids are not the healthiest things around but they were low dosage and they gave our son some relief. But after a few weeks things weren’t getting better because 24 hrs after using the cream the skin was just as bad again. We've tried a number of oils, creams, soaps etc from the internet but nothing worked well or after initial improvement went back to bad again. So we felt helpless and could only console ourselves that people kept on saying he would in time he would probably grow out of it.

Then out of the blue came a personal recommendation that we try to get an appointment with a doctor here in the Netherlands who is a GP but after many years being disappointed with the results regular medicine had to offer started to offer an alternative therapy known as bioresonance. When you see this in action your mind is telling you it can't possibly work as it just looks "hocus pocus" but I had done some research on the internet and it found some interesting evidence in its favour, so we started getting treatment for our son. Normally you had to wait some considerable time to get an appointment but he gave priority to babies and children so we were lucky. It's interesting to note that this doctor is always busy, he works a long day into early evening, his surgery is always full and everything we heard from other people was positive.

His tests confirmed the milk allergy and a laboratory test also revealed a condition known as "leaky gut syndrome" which means minute food particles find their way into the blood stream from the large intestine causing the allergic reaction eczema. He confirmed that the switch to the Nutramigen was the correct one and started bioresonance treatments for the milk allergy. Additionally he prescribed the additional of a probiotic to our sons daily morning feed which contains live bacteria to assist the large intestine to suppress and eventually reverse the "leaky gut" condition.

Our son received this bioresonance treatment initially for the milk allergy and since then for several other foods which he unfortunately reacts to. We located a very good natural cream from the UK which we could use and from that moment we never used the steroid creams again. In a year we've gone from a baby in a very bad condition who needed constant attention to stop his scratching, who had to be strapped to the bed at night time and many sleepless nights to an almost normal skin and a happy 14 month old.

We cannot claim that the bioresonance treatments, the probiotics or the cream are a total solution. Our son still has an allergic reaction to a lot of foods but they are usually a mild reaction without irritation and go away after a day or so by removing that food from the diet. We cannot say for sure that he wouldn’t have gotten better anyway we just know that for us this solution worked.

Before all this happened I had no idea eczema was so widespread and how miserable it can make lives. Our son was bad but if I read some cases on the internet he was lucky as some sufferers go through a daily hel_l.

Sorry this was such a long post, I hope it hasn’t bored everyone and good luck to anyone trying to beat this miserable condition.

Les

Since I cut gluten food products from my diet - and my family saw the results after years of watching me suffer using steroid creams which only hide the symptoms- they also tried a gluten-free diet and all their own health problems disappeared. My grandfather (English descent) had bad dermatitis and worked as a baker, of all things. So it seems the "allergen" is hereditary.

As a child, my eczema was out of control - eating typical foods of cereal and milk for breakfast, bread and wheat biscuits, pasta , wheat , wheat, wheat - breakfast, lunch and dinner...... you get the picture!

Anyway, in reference to Lady In Red's question about blood type - diet. I also tried this on top of the gluten-free diet and almost starved to death as there was not much else I could eat on the planet. The blood type-diet did however mention excluding wheat products for my blood type (B+) so I decided just to stick with no wheat in my diet. It worked. No more eczema, unless I am severely stressed or drink far too much alcohol or coffee -and other poisons in general- which I try to avoid like the plague these days. Years ago, a naturopath told me I have a weak liver so maybe it just can't cope well processing food poisons and it ended up on erupting my skin.

Just a suggestion.... it may not work for everyone but the book I studied that was most helpful in finding my own dietary intolerance was called " Allergies in Disguise" - can't remember the name of author now as I left the book behind in Oz.

It's worth doing some study and finding out what your own allergen is- not just for eczema but other health problems also.

I truly believe WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!

Bragg's Apple Cider Vineger! you can get it from food land. It's organic the best to use. Search yahoo groups about it. I also helps for severe dandruff and dermatitis. I am a sufferer too. Stay away from the doctors meds!!!! Many are ignorant and can only prescribe harmful stuff that makes you worse. ABOVE ALL ELSE: DO YOU OWN RESEARCH ! DO NOT TAKE THE DOCS WORD FOR ANYTHING!

Bragg's Apple Cider Vineger! you can get it from food land. It's organic the best to use. Search yahoo groups about it. I also helps for severe dandruff and dermatitis. I am a sufferer too. Stay away from the doctors meds!!!! Many are ignorant and can only prescribe harmful stuff that makes you worse. ABOVE ALL ELSE: DO YOU OWN RESEARCH ! DO NOT TAKE THE DOCS WORD FOR ANYTHING!

Not to be dumb, but what do you do with the cider? Do you drink it? if so, how much? Can you please clarify this please This is actually really important to me and since I've been suffering for the last 3 years and spoked to various doctors, sent to various allergists and spent thousands on medicines with ZERO solution.

Some more questions/comments about eczema.

There is a Chinese herbal preparation called Zemaphyte which has been shown to help some people, but it is no longer being manufactured. That said, has anyone found it still in Thailand?

Another natural remedy is fish oil, but again you need to take 10 standard 1000 mg pills per day for a minimum of three months, and the trouble with this is you will smell like a fish and probably gain weight from the oil (at least 100 calories extra a day). Anyone tried this?

Washing hands! I know we are not supposed to use soap, especially not antibacterial soap, but what exactly should we use to wash hands?

A dermatologist told me I have "asthmatic skin" which is interesting because there is a strong link between asthma and atopic eczema.

By the way, I have also read that there is NOT a strong link between food allergies and adult eczema. Thus, I would think twice about radically changing your diet (such as labelling yourself gluten intolerant without a diagnosis).

Edited by Thaiquila

Since I cut gluten food products from my diet - and my family saw the results after years of watching me suffer using steroid creams which only hide the symptoms- they also tried a gluten-free diet and all their own health problems disappeared. My grandfather (English descent) had bad dermatitis and worked as a baker, of all things. So it seems the "allergen" is hereditary.

As a child, my eczema was out of control - eating typical foods of cereal and milk for breakfast, bread and wheat biscuits, pasta , wheat , wheat, wheat - breakfast, lunch and dinner...... you get the picture!

Anyway, in reference to Lady In Red's question about blood type - diet. I also tried this on top of the gluten-free diet and almost starved to death as there was not much else I could eat on the planet. The blood type-diet did however mention excluding wheat products for my blood type (B+) so I decided just to stick with no wheat in my diet. It worked. No more eczema, unless I am severely stressed or drink far too much alcohol or coffee -and other poisons in general- which I try to avoid like the plague these days. Years ago, a naturopath told me I have a weak liver so maybe it just can't cope well processing food poisons and it ended up on erupting my skin.

Just a suggestion.... it may not work for everyone but the book I studied that was most helpful in finding my own dietary intolerance was called " Allergies in Disguise" - can't remember the name of author now as I left the book behind in Oz.

Is this the book?

Allergies: Disease in Disguise : How to Heal Your Allergic Condition Permanently and Naturally

by Carolee Bateson-Koch

It's worth doing some study and finding out what your own allergen is- not just for eczema but other health problems also.

Is this the book?

Allergies: Disease in Disguise : How to Heal Your Allergic Condition Permanently and Naturally

by Carolee Bateson-Koch

My health improved eating wheat-free or sprouted grain bread. Your body sees the gluten as a toxin and there is inflamation. Trans fatty acids are another bad day waiting to happen.

Edited by ding

Is this the book?

by Carolee Bateson-Koch

Is this the book?

by Carolee Bateson-Koch

My health improved eating wheat-free or sprouted grain bread. Your body sees the gluten as a toxin and there is inflamation. Trans fatty acids are another bad day waiting to happen.

I do believe that is the book. Many people are gluten-intolerant without ever knowing it. My sister and brother and father were officially diagnosed. I don't need an official diagnose. I know what works for me and I know that general medicine never did anything to help me. There are many natural medicines available to help eczema sufferers. Do a search on the web.

As for me.... I no longer need help. Joy! :o

Many folks are lactose intollerant too. Milk is in our diet here, but not much and organic at that. This book makes sense, although it spends too much time on reducing wrinkling for me;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/006...8054486-5318453

The information on cell plasma membranes being inflamed too much made good sense, I thought.

Alopathic medicine has drugs or surgery, and if those don't work, or have side effects, then controlling intake of food may be the answer.

Edited by ding

Many folks are lactose intollerant too. Milk is in our diet here, but not much and organic at that. This book makes sense, although it spends too much time on reducing wrinkling for me;

The information on cell plasma membranes being inflamed too much made good sense, I thought.

Alopathic medicine has drugs or surgery, and if those don't work, or have side effects, then controlling intake of food may be the answer.

Dr. Nicholas Perricone is wellknown for his work in reducing wrinkles. Not sure why it would be pertinent to eczema :D

Although I must say, his 3 days method of eating to a more youthful skin works great. :o

Dr. Nicholas Perricone is wellknown for his work in reducing wrinkles. Not sure why it would be pertinent to eczema :D

Although I must say, his 3 days method of eating to a more youthful skin works great. :o

I know what you mean about the wrinkles stuff, I ignore that, myself. The 'before' and 'after' pics are lame.

Perricone discusses inflamation and the bio-mechanics of creating and eliminating inflmation on a cellular level. The recommended eating program helps general health and supports vibrant, healthy skin. I saw my skin improve remarkably after incorporating it. Currently I don't follow it rigorously, but much of it is a lifestyle now;

Stirfry veggies in extra virgin olive oil, eating salmon, lots of water, etc.

And I don't drink or smoke anymore, although coffee and pastries are a big draw.

with the apple cider vinegar, you apply it topically on your afflicted areas of skin. I would recommend doing some research on this natuaral remedy and it's many uses, internally as well. Just search yahoo groups ..

with the apple cider vinegar, you apply it topically on your afflicted areas of skin. I would recommend doing some research on this natuaral remedy and it's many uses, internally as well. Just search yahoo groups ..

Thanks Stevo, Much appreciated. Right now I'll try just about everything and anything recommended. Nothing seems to work so far. The only thing left for me is may be try something off-beat like meditation to relax my innerself.

First its skin Allergies (rashes), now its eczema, Makes me wonder if the air polution is the problem and not me?

Interesting. Any idea on where to buy organic apple cider vinegar in Bangkok?

Interesting. Any idea on where to buy organic apple cider vinegar in Bangkok?

I'm really interested in trying the natural remedy, but does anyone know of a good skin specialist in Bangkok?

I've had what I guess was a mile cases of eczema for a few years now. dry itchiness on my elbows and the base of my neck on my back. Have had 2 bad outbreaks on my face that cleared up pretty fast with medication.

Back during Christmas in Thailand, my elbow developed a rash and started itching badly. I just figured it was bug bites. My forearm started itching (no rash) and then my face cheeks started itching really badly (again, no rash).

I had to leave to work in Japan a couple weeks back and I developed what looked like bug bites on the left and right side of my torso and my arms continues to itch, with bumps appearing on both biceps. Areas on my legs were also affected. I was able to get some Cortizone cream to control the itching and the bumps eventually went away. The day before yesterday, I actually had no itching whatsoever, but last night it came back with a vengeance. Every area started itching, including my ears. It's not red at all though and there is no rash. It's driving me nuts.

I've never been allergic to anything before. For the past 2 weeks, I've been doing nothing but eating pretty good, taking vitamins and minerals, and drinking plenty of water (no alcohol or cigs).

Sometimes, it'll feel like my skin is "crawling".

:o:D:D

Anyway, if anyone can recommend a good skin doctor, so I can at least get an opinion. Some of the reading on the natural apple cider vinegar was interesting as well, so I'll probably give that a shot too when I get back.

cheers

Mike