I Still Haven’T Found - Can You Help Me With What I Am Looking For?

David - There are many like you who wish to share their images.. I put up a separate User Gallery section on my site which allows you to post images in your own galleries and share them.. and forums to link them to for discussion if you wish. I'd like to extend an invitation to you and any other interested party to come take a peek and see if you find the site useful.

Btw.. I liked the first image you posted. You can almost feel the closeness. Very nice!

Steve

or this ...

post-104736-0-67727500-1336705571_thumb.

this a picture of u as a boy on the Brisbane river?

It was a very low king tide under the Story Bridge!

Never know what you'll find in the mud with a very low king tide. Maybe some nice old bottles.

Posted 2012-05-05 12:36:55 David48

I really want to post here ... I really do.

So what do you want in simple and small words as your post above leaves me Khun-fused.

Now that is over, please find me version of your first photo below

post-3770-0-64257500-1337171078_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I Still Haven’T Found - Can You Help Me With What I Am Looking For?

Yes sure.

Change your "Super Member" name to ........................

My OP is in the "General Fourm" how to do it and if you do have time please change your photo as it does not reflect your good self very well.

wai.gif to the good "Lord Buddha" yes, however to a Monk, well, that leaves me speech-less, hence once I see your photo, I take a step back and try not to read your posts.

Sorry to have to say this to you who is still looking for, try pbase.com then.

Win coffee1.gif

Sorry to have to say this to you who is still looking for, try pbase.com then.

Kan Win, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm kind of happy in TVF.

You guys are my cyber family ... and I kind of like that.

Maybe I'll just continue to plug away here as no-one seems to mind ...

post-104736-0-22190300-1337345517_thumb.

EDIT:- Kan Win, please don't take the above as a personal slur because I have much respect for you as a poster after reading what you wrote about ANZAC Day, and your great work here.

Edited by David48

or this ...

post-104736-0-67727500-1336705571_thumb.

Technically masterful? No, it doesn't use the rule of thirds, and isn't centred well if you intended it that way. None of this matters though as you captured the subject at the perfect moment, and simple cropping can fix the rest.

A missed opportunity can't be framed well enough to look good. wink.png

cdnvic ... how intuitive of you.

I did crop the original photo clumsily and quickly after I posted it realising that I had only 30 mins to edit it.

From the original, I felt that the background distracted from the message and soul of the photo.

post-104736-0-69345500-1337376325_thumb.

Could you be so kind as to correctly crop the original photo and explain a few basic rules, if you have the time?

If not maybe you can post a web link where it's easily explained for beginners?

I've included the higher resolution version so please have the liberty to adjust the size ... just trying to give you the raw material.

EDIT:- ... I souldn't have been so lazy ... is there a topic here that you remember that discusses your point about framing?

All I know is to not split the horizon line.

Edited by David48

With the pic of the novice in robes above you can make him the focus of the photo and blur out the back ground by using a shorter depth of field. Depth of field is the measurment of how deep the focused area is in a photo. The higher the "f" number, the longer the depth of field.

For instance, in a shot where you want a photo of a temple complex to sharp and focused throughput the photo, you would use a high "f-stop" such as 16, 22, or the highest your lens is capable of. This will make the buildings and people in focus regardless of if they are 10ft or 100ft away.

If you wanted to make one person in that photo your subject you would want to use the lowest possible f-stop possible, preferably 1.8-3.5 so that only he is in focus, and the rest of the buildings blur into the background.

Keep in mind that distortion gets more pronounced at higher and lower f-stops, with f8 having barely any. Also, higher f-stops require much longer exposures as the aperture that allows light into the camera gets smaller and smaller, so high f-stops are not recommended for moving subjects.

http://www.artsphotographyschool.com/depth_of_field.html

• Like 1

A quick overview of the "rule of thirds"

http://digital-photo.../rule-of-thirds

Once you learn and practice it, you will find yourself using it without even thinking.

cdnvic, I really appreciate you giving me the link and I have read it.

Now I know why I like ...

post-104736-0-00182500-1337385361_thumb. post-104736-0-27376100-1337385332_thumb.

This .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. more then This

post-104736-0-10639100-1337385357_thumb. post-104736-0-06857200-1337385359_thumb.

With the 'Rule of 3rds' applied as per what cdnvic points to.

Shame about the blue roof in the bottom left of the photo.

Depth of field is the <snip>

Actually as I mentioned in the OP,

Previously I used to be a 'technical' photographer with my OM-2 then later and OM-10 ... but now my world is filled, not with beautiful photos ... but beautiful feelings.

For many years I shot in Film composing each shot ... because every shot counted and film and paper expensive.

Now that I am visiting Thailand, my interest in Photography has been rekindled with new and interesting subject matter observed in all walks of life.

Unfortunately I only have a 'Happy snap' camera and have limited options.

post-104736-0-75278000-1337386785_thumb.

This how I saw the shot ...

But my Thai gf is developing an eye and with the camera her father recently bought her saw it like this ...

post-104736-0-97290800-1337386787_thumb. post-104736-0-85209700-1337386789_thumb.

Yes, I know the above photos are more about focal length and focused subject rather then depth of field, but it may interest some of the viewers here and piqué their interest to think about what you discussed in your two posts.

cdnvic Thanks again ... wai.gif

I been thinking about what cdnvic said about the 'Rule of 3rds'

Rules, of course, are meant to be broken, otherwise our photos simply become formulaic.

Here is one photo which has appeal to me.

post-104736-0-64684500-1337465555_thumb.

I like it at a number of levels.

It engages me

Shows emotion and sympathy of the subject matter

The woman's left eye (as we look at the photo) takes my focus

and makes me ignore the background flaws

It's actually a square photo which is deceptive.

Lighting seems right, the background blurred a little as to not distract.

Despite the harsh sunlight, there must have been some reflection off the ground etc to provide the up lighting.

post-104736-0-44116700-1337465557_thumb.

Same photo with the grid applied.

post-104736-0-85713400-1337465553_thumb.

Same photo with the major background and subject flaws identified.

The green dot is just to indicate that this was actually a self-portrait.

More thinking about what cdnvic said about the 'Rule of 3rds'

Do watch this as it may show you something old, in a new light and in an informative and entertaining fashion.

Application of the Rule of Thirds

I very much enjoyed watching it.

• Like 1

For instance, in a shot where you want a photo of a temple complex to sharp and focused throughput the photo, you would use a high "f-stop" such as 16, 22, or the highest your lens is capable of. This will make the buildings and people in focus regardless of if they are 10ft or 100ft away.

Using a lens at its minimum aperture is NOT a good idea - diffraction will affect the sharpness of most images using this technique and render them soft. See Here http://www.luminous-...ffraction.shtml for examples.

Dedicated macro lenses are exempt of course.

Allowing for perspective adjustments back to front DOF is better achieved using wider angle lenses.

Edited by fimgirl

Distortion always increases at higher and lower apertures, but that still doesn't mean that certain situations don't call for them. In this case we are trying to explain the basics of depth of field in a simple manner so that the reader grasps the concept. We can worry about the complications later.

From the original, I felt that the background distracted from the message and soul of the photo.

post-104736-0-69345500-1337376325_thumb.

That is much better David48.

As for "rule of thirds", sorry, to me, it is old old hat.

(The rule of thirds was first written down[5] by John Thomas Smith in 1797.)

Why? As most are either right-wing or left- wing to me, I like me photos in the middle, like yours David48. thumbsup.gif

http://en.wikipedia..../Rule_of_thirds

Win

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've lost my F button...where do you find it to adjust it ??

Seriously....always appears automatic

Hummm ... automatic F's .. can't control them?

Maybe you have a Tourettes style camera?

If not ... maybe the camera make and model might get more specific answers ... wink.png

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I only have a 'happy snap' camera so I am more interested in comments on composure then 'F' stops (with this photo).

When the 'moment' only occurs for a second you have to think quick to capture that moment.

But in that special 'moment' you can still get some of the basics right.

The car is a distraction.

post-104736-0-39108100-1341267119_thumb.

How else could you improve this?

• Like 1

I only have a 'happy snap' camera so I am more interested in comments on composure then 'F' stops (with this photo).

When the 'moment' only occurs for a second you have to think quick to capture that moment.

But in that special 'moment' you can still get some of the basics right.

The car is a distraction.

post-104736-0-39108100-1341267119_thumb.

How else could you improve this?

A lower perspective might have been nicer....

• 1 year later...

David,

You could try installing a KatzEye Optics focusing screen with the rule of thirds gridline pattern if your camera has 100% viewfinder coverage.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Grid-Lines-Crop-Guides--gridlines.html

Also consider the Golden Mean.

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilchenko/GoldenSection.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio#Aesthetics

This is good . . .

http://alafoto.com/?p=10064

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1