What Are They Building At The End Of The Sky Train

WilliamCave

At the end of the sky train (underconstruction) on ring road 9 Nontaburi after you turn north of Ratana aTibet there is a very big construction project there and it does not look like house going in there does any one know what they are building ? Would it be a central mall for the size of this is going to be big what ever it is and there is also the last station stop there also.

Not sure, but rest assured there will be a 7-11 at the bottom of it.

After they've built the 7-11 store a Family mart will open directly opposite. Soon after the Family mart opens another 7-11 will be built 50m down the road to take business away from the Family mart that initially took business away from the first 7-11 at the ground level of the new building.

That is real close to my home, i expected it to be the place where they will store the trams.

If that was the case would have thought they would have made/be making the BTS lines into it, but they have made a station, and the bridge line is made for the trams is unbroken for some km past this new Very Very big new construction........

for the size of this is going to be big what ever it is and there is also the last station stop there also.

Not the last station, last station will be way past here and as the end of the Sai Noi road, they cleared all the building a couple of years ago, the land on the left is still empty, the land on the right is used a a big area for car tents at the moment... The BTS Pillars are now down some km past there, they also cleared areas on both sides,, they have done last year all the underground work all the way down to the Sai Noi turn... Understand there will be 3 stations after the one at Bang Yai.....

Look at it this way, Very big Building = lots of workers will be wanted = people will not need to use the new BTS to work in BKK....... workers will not need to spend over 1/2 there 300 baht wage going to work in BKK..

Now what will be the price of this BTS into BKK,? Nest door says it will still be far cheaper to drive into BKK to work, even cheaper for them as he and his wife both drive in together 6x a week. [112km round trip every day]

Edited by ignis

<snip>

Now what will be the price of this BTS into BKK,? Nest door says it will still be far cheaper to drive into BKK to work, even cheaper for them as he and his wife both drive in together 6x a week. [112km round trip every day]

It is a bit hard to drive when you don't have a car. It might be cheaper to drive IF you have a car, but it's better being on a train for 30 minutes than a car for 2 hours.

There will be some people that will still drive, and others that continue to catch buses, but the trains will be very well used.

That is real close to my home, i expected it to be the place where they will store the trams.

If that was the case would have thought they would have made/be making the BTS lines into it, but they have made a station, and the bridge line is made for the trams is unbroken for some km past this new Very Very big new construction........

for the size of this is going to be big what ever it is and there is also the last station stop there also.

Not the last station, last station will be way past here and as the end of the Sai Noi road, they cleared all the building a couple of years ago, the land on the left is still empty, the land on the right is used a a big area for car tents at the moment... The BTS Pillars are now down some km past there, they also cleared areas on both sides,, they have done last year all the underground work all the way down to the Sai Noi turn... Understand there will be 3 stations after the one at Bang Yai.....

Look at it this way, Very big Building = lots of workers will be wanted = people will not need to use the new BTS to work in BKK....... workers will not need to spend over 1/2 there 300 baht wage going to work in BKK..

Thanks, i thought they would stop at Bang Yai, i live a bit past Bang Yai. I thought the pilars past Bang Yai were used to make a turn back into that large place where they were building. All this is not based on information but on speculation on my part.

As for the price i seriously doubt it will help. People will keep taking the car its a status thing. The road is getting busier and busier and the construction isnt helping much. I wish that where they are done with the pillars they would give the road back to the cars and ease the congestion a bit.

<snip>

It is a bit hard to drive when you don't have a car. It might be cheaper to drive IF you have a car, but it's better being on a train for 30 minutes than a car for 2 hours.

There will be some people that will still drive, and others that continue to catch buses, but the trains will be very well used.

I think your wrong there, but that is just my opinion. You will see a shift from busses to the trains not from cars to the trains.

I think your wrong there, but that is just my opinion. You will see a shift from busses to the trains not from cars to the trains.

No. I definitely think that some people will stop driving and catch the train instead. But it all depends on where they are needing to get to or from (for both buses and cars). If they still need to go a considerable distance at either end of the train trip, then they would probably continue to use the car. But if the station is reasonably close at either end, then they would probably want to avoid sitting in their cars in bad traffic.

I know I would rather catch a train where possible rather than sitting in Bangkok traffic.

No. I definitely think that some people will stop driving and catch the train instead. But it all depends on where they are needing to get to or from (for both buses and cars). If they still need to go a considerable distance at either end of the train trip, then they would probably continue to use the car. But if the station is reasonably close at either end, then they would probably want to avoid sitting in their cars in bad traffic.

I know I would rather catch a train where possible rather than sitting in Bangkok traffic.

Yes but you have not been in the area, could you tell me where they put the parking spaces for the cars so you could catch a train. Also the spacing of the stations is a bit crazy.. too many stops to make it efficient. This is not like in BKK its a long road where you can (except for some parts) make good time.

I live near it drive the road often, know what kind of people use it there and who dont.

Yes but you have not been in the area, could you tell me where they put the parking spaces for the cars so you could catch a train. Also the spacing of the stations is a bit crazy.. too many stops to make it efficient. This is not like in BKK its a long road where you can (except for some parts) make good time.

I live near it drive the road often, know what kind of people use it there and who dont.

Maybe that's what they are building ... a Park-and-Ride station.

The stations would be close together so that locals don't need to drive to the station.

I have been out that way recently, so I understand what you say about making good time. But the train doesn't just go along that road. It's a way to get into Bangkok, and there are plenty of parts where the traffic doesn't move freely on the way to Bangkok.

BUT, I did say that SOME people will move from their cars.

Maybe that's what they are building ... a Park-and-Ride station.

The stations would be close together so that locals don't need to drive to the station.

I have been out that way recently, so I understand what you say about making good time. But the train doesn't just go along that road. It's a way to get into Bangkok, and there are plenty of parts where the traffic doesn't move freely on the way to Bangkok.

BUT, I did say that SOME people will move from their cars.

I am confused how is this train going into Bangkok ? I thought it would not be connected with existing lines ? Ill look it up.

If its a park and ride station it would be a good idea the road is getting too full. I normally take the bike instead of the car to avoid some traffic congestion. But much of it is caused by the train itself.

The thing is many close stations will help people that they wont have to take their car but then its in efficient time wise because of the many stops.

I am confused how is this train going into Bangkok ? I thought it would not be connected with existing lines ? Ill look it up.

If its a park and ride station it would be a good idea the road is getting too full. I normally take the bike instead of the car to avoid some traffic congestion. But much of it is caused by the train itself.

The thing is many close stations will help people that they wont have to take their car but then its in efficient time wise because of the many stops.

It goes to the MRT Blue Line extension at Tao Pun (extended from Bang Sue to Tao Pun). http://en.wikipedia....e_Line#Stations

There are 4 park and ride stations.

In the future (our life time?) it will be extended south into the China town area.

It may be that some parts it would be faster in a car, but when you combine that with finding parking at the other end, it becomes much more convenient on the train. I know that even living on Asoke, sometimes it's faster on a bike or in a taxi (I don't have a car), but if I am traveling during peak hour (and sometimes even when it's not peak) and especially if I am going more than 2-3 stations, the train is definitely faster.

But overall, each situation is different. It will work for some people and it won't for others. But the system WILL be well used.

Edited by whybother

It goes to the MRT Blue Line extension at Tao Pun (extended from Bang Sue to Tao Pun). http://en.wikipedia....e_Line#Stations

There are 4 park and ride stations.

In the future (our life time?) it will be extended south into the China town area.

It may be that some parts it would be faster in a car, but when you combine that with finding parking at the other end, it becomes much more convenient on the train. I know that even living on Asoke, sometimes it's faster on a bike or in a taxi (I don't have a car), but if I am traveling during peak hour (and sometimes even when it's not peak) and especially if I am going more than 2-3 stations, the train is definitely faster.

But overall, each situation is different. It will work for some people and it won't for others. But the system WILL be well used.

I can only hope so, really. Too many cars there already.

For sure it will be used,...... My question would be what will be the price of the ticket? people with NO car and looking for work at 300 baht per day wage would not have a lot left after getting a bus to the BTS and the fare being 100 baht or more each way.. There is to be 32 stations on this line......

Eg: from outside my Village is a 6 wheel Bus/truck cost 10 baht = next stop or can go the 8 km if there is a station at the end of the road, or 17km if Bang Yai is the last station to the new BTS or all the way to near the end of the MRT station.......

Next Village is the Mini Bus they go to 'Pata' Pinklao every 20 mins cost 30 baht..

If you use a car + not working then you go in before 6am or after 10am, returning after 7 pm or add another 2 hours sitting in traffic if going in rush hour..

I have no problem as is very good to have a BTS station near = house prices are going up...... Ideal also for visitors I will only have to drive as far the the new BTS station and not spend all day driving around BKK biggrin.png

No idea what map is in use now, early maps show the end station at Bang Yai, more resent show up to 2 stations after that big building going on.

For sure it will be used,...... My question would be what will be the price of the ticket? people with NO car and looking for work at 300 baht per day wage would not have a lot left after getting a bus to the BTS and the fare being 100 baht or more each way.. There is to be 32 stations on this line......

<snip>

The MRT is 15-40 baht (http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/ticket.aspx?Lang=En&Menu=13) and the BTS is 15-55 baht (http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx) (15-40 baht for most stations and then +15 baht if going to one of the Bearing extension stations).

There are currently only 16 stations being built (according to wiki). The others must be future plans.

Wife recons they are talking about the extension from Bering to Samut Prakan...soon...anything?

Also if they could swing it round to say Paknam that would do nicely although suppose by then the fares will be 200 Bt or sumit?

At the moment I (asume)can still get the Gov Red buses for free ...is that still the case..?

R

Wife recons they are talking about the extension from Bering to Samut Prakan...soon...anything?

Also if they could swing it round to say Paknam that would do nicely although suppose by then the fares will be 200 Bt or sumit?

At the moment I (asume)can still get the Gov Red buses for free ...is that still the case..?

R

MRTA expediting 3 BTS extension routes for completion by 2016

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255308210018

Last I heard they are building huge buffers, which go underground immeasurably. PTP emergency lockdown room will be housed inside these buffers, which will permit 24 billion cubic meters of water flow from the pancreae of leaders with ear-infections to freely escape to wherever they need to.

-mel. giggle.gif

<snip>

The MRT is 15-40 baht (http://www.bangkokme...Lang=En&Menu=13) and the BTS is 15-55 baht (http://www.bts.co.th...te-current.aspx) (15-40 baht for most stations and then +15 baht if going to one of the Bearing extension stations).

There are currently only 16 stations being built (according to wiki). The others must be future plans.

The extra 15 baht to the 5 new stations is worrying. That's a 65% increase on the fixed smart card price (23 baht). If they apply additional fees on all extensions, the prices may soon be too high for low income groups, and for groups of 3-4 people, car or taxi will easily be cheaper. I get an uneasy feeling that some of those behind this have seen the income potential and that filling someones pockets might become more important than building a functional mass transport system that is priced to suit most people. When looking at the prices in Singapore compared to income level, there's already a big difference to Bangkok's disadvantage.

Been to ask a Thai in the Village, he says that what they are building is a Major service center and repair shop for the BTS Trains + a big parking [Park and Ride], and for the moment that will be the last station...

He said things keep changing because they cannot do deals on land......... guess will have to wait and see

The large construction project at Bang Yai is for the train depot (maintenance, storage, etc)

Indeed it is, strange that no one put 2 and 2 together and thought what would be needed at the end of the line (though there are now plans to extend it further northwards 4.5km to Sai Noi intersection) to house all the rolling stock.

This is what the site looked like during the floods:

75b76bhb8kf6djbkbhkj5.jpg

Here is a render of the Depot:

fixbangpai.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

The civil works for the Purple Line is currently around 41% complete as at the end of Feb which is around 6-7% behind schedule, due to the floods.

This NW section of the Purple Line is Phase 1 (Taopoon to Bang Yai) which will be followed by Phase 2 from Taopoon to Wong Wian Yai and Phase 3 from WWY south to Ratburana. Phase 2 should have been first and then the line extended each way but political parties vested interests in real estate companies meant that the NW was approved first.

You can follow updates of all metro constructions on another TV thread and check the last network plans map, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page__st__75. There are links for info on the Purple Line in English and Thai in post #7 in that thread.

• Like 1

R

Contract was signed last year, work was due to start in Oct 11 but delayed due to the floods. Preliminary works were due to start in March, then April but I'm not sure right now.....perhaps someone down there has seen some site works?

see above mentioned thread for further info.

The large construction project at Bang Yai is for the train depot (maintenance, storage, etc)

Indeed it is, strange that no one put 2 and 2 together and thought what would be needed at the end of the line (though there are now plans to extend it further northwards 4.5km to Sai Noi intersection) to house all the rolling stock.

Well, lack of basic math skills and marginally creative thinking is not limited to TV. The existing Feasibility Study for the "south" Purple Line (Phase 2 and 3 as you describe above) calls for a staging yard with capacity for 24 six-car trainsets at the southern end near Rat Burana... so effectively a southern depot in terms of space, which is absolutely needed for operational purposes. Problem is, nobody at the consultant nor the MRTA realized this before the tendering process kicked off for the detailed design phase and thus no plans have been made to allocate necessary land... oops!

Edited by planr