My Experience Extending A 60 Day Tourist Visa In Cm

WarProfiteer

Note to Mods/Admins; I'm not sure if this is the right section, so please feel free to move it. Posting it here due to it originating in CM.

Just wanted to take some time to relay my experience in extending my 60 day tourist visa in the Chiang Mai immigration office.

The first day, I just went to find the place and grab the form. Easy enough to find... just keep going like you're going to the airport and you can't miss it. Big signs. In English. Lovin it.

Expect it to be crowded. Very crowded. Even at 0830.

This part is important... not only do you need the form and the money, you also need a different size picture (as in, not passport sized like when you're getting the visa to begin with) and a photocopy of BOTH the picture page of your passport, as well as a copy of the visa you are extending, with the entry card off to the side. All numbers and stamps must be perfectly legible. Ask me how I know...

Slightly annoyed as the dam_n stamps themselves arent put on with great care so they're not quite clear to begin with... yet I am expected to create a copy that is clear. Lets just agree that 3 trips to the photocopy shop were needed so that it met with somchai's approval. They weren't particularly mean about it, just insistent. I could imagine the same thing happening in any govt office in the west, honestly. Does anyone really ever get great service at a govt run office anywhere in the world?

Anyway, there is a huge line outside in the parking lot to make copies, but it was too hot to stand around in the sun like that, so the gf and I hopped on the bike, drove 10 minutes to a nearby shop, then came back.

After the appropriate copies were approved, the passport was handed in with the form and 1900 baht. From there it was about a 30-40 minute wait until my first name was called, with "from USA". I felt slightly disappointed as my last name has multiple L's & R's and I somewhat enjoy the various pronunciations I get.

Overall, it wasn't entirely painful and now that I've done it, I feel I could do it much more efficiently the next time around.

Hope this helps someone out there should they be in a similar situation...

Edited by WarProfiteer
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like your a real newbie!! Sounds like you just go with the flow - if an extention is important to you you must be in control instead of ' you mean I must do this? I have to take a picture of this? I have to make a copy of this?? What did you do ahead of time to make sure YOU are prepared?? Man you dont realize how simple immigration is if you spend the time to understand , and give them what they they want . Good luck - mine is very simple and easy life with immigration - I think they do a great job with the amount of people they have to deal with the numbers they have to deal with!!! Good luck man!

Sounds to me like your a real newbie!!

Only to this board... and to extending visas. I like the excuse to travel, so I'd just been hopping around SE Asia rather than renewing the visas.

But you're right... and as I posted, I could do it a lot more efficiently the next time. I did try to search this board, but found no good first hand accounts for my specific scenario. So it was really just a 'jump in & learn to swim' kind of thing.

Next time prepare first so you don't whine later!!

Your eloquent and incisive response has been given all due consideration. You're obviously a positive contributor around these parts, so I'll be sure to heed every word of your sage advice.

• Like 1

You are indeed a patient man.

Might I suggest that if you had waited in the line for the services in the back building it would have gone a little smoother.

They know what is needed and the use of their services might have helped with the person you were dealing with.

I take all the needed papers with me and have the proper documentation. The wife knows what they need better than I do and prepares it before we go.

We learned the same as you. Things were a little slower in those days and they were always patient while the wife took the necessary papers and passport to the back and then returned with them.

The last time I made a 90 day report there was quite a line up. I noticed one person did not have the necessary photo copies he took them to the back and returned in about ten minutes they took him right away he did not have to get a new number.

With the exception of having to wait I have had nothing but courteous service there. (knock on wood) I take a book in case. The last two times I had to wait a while I got into some very interesting conversations with fellow waiters. In both cases it was interesting not a bunch of whining.

Bottom line welcome to Chiang Mai.

Thanks HD... much appreciated.

I think you're probably right on the line in the parking lot, but who knows. It would've taken a forward-thinking Thai to ask "Now, here's your copy of the picture & info page... do you also have a copy of your visa page and your entry card?"... then later "are all the numbers on the visa & entry stamps completely clear?"

Still, I was never genuinely unhappy with the service I got... I can only imagine it would be far worse at the local office where I have been living for the last 6 months (Phuket). Lets just agree that politeness isn't much of a priority there.

So I never lost my cool and neither did the counter guys. I learned long ago that anger does you no good when dealing with Thais... even more so when you need something from them that you cannot get anywhere else. So, best to just try to get them what they want/need without any fuss... which I would now be able to do far more easily now that I've been through it once.

It would have been nice had I been able to read a thread like this before I went, but it's still not impossible to navigate without any previous clues/experience... just more problematic.

Oh... and for the waiting times... phone games. Checkers for me & the lady, trivia games for me once she tires of losing... 555,,,

Good info WP; I have never been, but that inspires some confidence.

Can i ask what you extended your 60 day tourist to? was it another 30 days only........and just assuming you had a multi entry tourist visa, does it affect the unused entries.

I think you're probably right on the line in the parking lot, but who knows. It would've taken a forward-thinking Thai to ask "Now, here's your copy of the picture & info page... do you also have a copy of your visa page and your entry card?"... then later "are all the numbers on the visa & entry stamps completely clear?"

Still, I was never genuinely unhappy with the service I got... I can only imagine it would be far worse at the local office where I have been living for the last 6 months (Phuket). Lets just agree that politeness isn't much of a priority there.

So I never lost my cool and neither did the counter guys. I learned long ago that anger does you no good when dealing with Thais... even more so when you need something from them that you cannot get anywhere else. So, best to just try to get them what they want/need without any fuss... which I would now be able to do far more easily now that I've been through it once.

It would have been nice had I been able to read a thread like this before I went, but it's still not impossible to navigate without any previous clues/experience... just more problematic.

Oh... and for the waiting times... phone games. Checkers for me & the lady, trivia games for me once she tires of losing... 555,,,

Teach her chess.

It would've taken a forward-thinking Thai to ask "Now, here's your copy of the picture & info page... do you also have a copy of your visa page and your entry card?"... then later "are all the numbers on the visa & entry stamps completely clear?"

do you take any contol or responsibilty in your life -- for example

how about your own forward thinking>>!!

Edited by onthedarkside
quote repaired

its always packed at 0800 for god knows reason for the times i had been. the last time i had been was during noon which seems really fast. in and out within 20 minutes.

iirc there is this limited number of applicant per day for certain visa. for visas other than tourist visa, perhaps its best to do it early

Good info WP; I have never been, but that inspires some confidence.

Can i ask what you extended your 60 day tourist to? was it another 30 days only........and just assuming you had a multi entry tourist visa, does it affect the unused entries.

The extension depends on the original visa... 60 day visas are extended 30 days, 30 day visas can be extended 7 days, and I think (could be mistaken) the 2 week overland visa can be only be extended by a day.

If passport size photo is not acceptable, what is the accepted photo size?

4x6 cm... I think you might be able to print the form from the internet. The dimensions are on the square where the pic goes. But I seem to recall it being 4x6.

Edited by WarProfiteer

It would've taken a forward-thinking Thai to ask "Now, here's your copy of the picture & info page... do you also have a copy of your visa page and your entry card?"... then later "are all the numbers on the visa & entry stamps completely clear?"

What are you some kind of motivation speaker?

If passport size photo is not acceptable, what is the accepted photo size?

4x6 cm... I think you might be able to print the form from the internet. The dimensions are on the square where the pic goes. But I seem to recall it being 4x6.

4 x 6 is correct. 100 baht a set of 6 at Kad Suan Kaew photo shop.

Download TM7 here > http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Might I suggest that if you had waited in the line for the services in the back building it would have gone a little smoother.

They know what is needed and the use of their services might have helped with the person you were dealing with.

I take all the needed papers with me and have the proper documentation. The wife knows what they need better than I do and prepares it before we go.

We learned the same as you. Things were a little slower in those days and they were always patient while the wife took the necessary papers and passport to the back and then returned with them.

The last time I made a 90 day report there was quite a line up. I noticed one person did not have the necessary photo copies he took them to the back and returned in about ten minutes they took him right away he did not have to get a new number.

With the exception of having to wait I have had nothing but courteous service there. (knock on wood) I take a book in case. The last two times I had to wait a while I got into some very interesting conversations with fellow waiters. In both cases it was interesting not a bunch of whining.

I wondered what your job was. Now I know. You are a waiter. Which restaurant?

I wondered what your job was. Now I know. You are a waiter. Which restaurant?

cafe homegiggle.gif

No but I am a believer in as much as possible of taking control of your own life and taking responsibilty for your own actions or non action - the OP continues to point to if only the Thais were smarter or if someone just did something for him he wouldn't have to think -- I was at Immigration on Tues for a retirenent visa renewal - the only item I needed was photos - I arrived 1.5 hours prior to my appointment and was faced with the same 2 crazy long lines - I said to myself no way so do I drive away and try to find a photo shop or deal with what is at hand - I looked around and saw 2 signs Line 1 copy Line 2 copy and all the people behind them but there was a wide gap between the 2 lines and the signs say copy but nothing about photo so I walked down the middle to the end where there was a young lady that I said " photo " - the answer KA sit over there - done in 4 min - there were 2 farangs that saw this waiting in line and asked how did you do this - I said just walk down the middle and say photo - you don't know how much they thanked me afterwards

In terms of my comment of if only Thais were smarter --- well I grabed myself a coffee and was relaxing waiting for my appointment when I saw the flat screen TV on the front wall and low and behold in english being displayed was what you have to do to extend your visa PLUS under the TV on the wall where photo copies of a passport and all the pages and items that must be photocopied!! what can I say?

I was called for my appointment and in less than 20 min I had a new retirement visa and mulity re-entry stamp with both dates the same so I can do both together over and over

No but I am a believer in as much as possible of taking control of your own life and taking responsibilty for your own actions or non action - the OP continues to point to if only the Thais were smarter or if someone just did something for him he wouldn't have to think -- I was at Immigration on Tues for a retirenent visa renewal - the only item I needed was photos - I arrived 1.5 hours prior to my appointment and was faced with the same 2 crazy long lines - I said to myself no way so do I drive away and try to find a photo shop or deal with what is at hand - I looked around and saw 2 signs Line 1 copy Line 2 copy and all the people behind them but there was a wide gap between the 2 lines and the signs say copy but nothing about photo so I walked down the middle to the end where there was a young lady that I said " photo " - the answer KA sit over there - done in 4 min - there were 2 farangs that saw this waiting in line and asked how did you do this - I said just walk down the middle and say photo - you don't know how much they thanked me afterwards

In terms of my comment of if only Thais were smarter --- well I grabed myself a coffee and was relaxing waiting for my appointment when I saw the flat screen TV on the front wall and low and behold in english being displayed was what you have to do to extend your visa PLUS under the TV on the wall where photo copies of a passport and all the pages and items that must be photocopied!! what can I say?

I was called for my appointment and in less than 20 min I had a new retirement visa and mulity re-entry stamp with both dates the same so I can do both together over and over

Get over yourself, the OP was sharing his experience and some of us are appreciative of it. We've all had days when flukes occur, and we've all had days when everything goes wrong. No need to boast about cutting a queue coffee1.gif

• Like 1

theblether

Get over yourself, the OP was sharing his experience and some of us are appreciative of it. We've all had days when flukes occur, and we've all had days when everything goes wrong. No need to boast about cutting a queue

First no line was cut - the point was there are 2 lines with a sign that said copies and guess what between the women making copies there was a women waiting I guess to direct you for photos but what she didn't have a sign over her head that said photos only - the point was this is Thai and sometimes you have to think a little different to get things done Second I understand flukes happen and there are days when everything goes wrong - but my comments were directed to what I perceived as whining that these non forward thinking Thais are not holding my hand and directing every step of the way for me - as I said every thing is posted on the front window of Immigration as to what he had to do - his attitude toward the Thais bothered me - was this a fluk or just laziness - as I said in previous post is his attitude go with the flow and when things don't go his way its because of somebody else why don't you re read my posts and think about it and then get over yourself

theblether

Get over yourself, the OP was sharing his experience and some of us are appreciative of it. We've all had days when flukes occur, and we've all had days when everything goes wrong. No need to boast about cutting a queue

First no line was cut - the point was there are 2 lines with a sign that said copies and guess what between the women making copies there was a women waiting I guess to direct you for photos but what she didn't have a sign over her head that said photos only - the point was this is Thai and sometimes you have to think a little different to get things done Second I understand flukes happen and there are days when everything goes wrong - but my comments were directed to what I perceived as whining that these non forward thinking Thais are not holding my hand and directing every step of the way for me - as I said every thing is posted on the front window of Immigration as to what he had to do - his attitude toward the Thais bothered me - was this a fluk or just laziness - as I said in previous post is his attitude go with the flow and when things don't go his way its because of somebody else why don't you re read my posts and think about it and then get over yourself

Interesting I see you have been a member since 2007 and still did not know enough to take a proper size photo with you.

theblether

passifier.gif

theblether

passifier.gif

Must have touched a nerve with you guys - tough looking into the mirror isn't it!