UK Experts Praise Thai Authorities' Flood Response; Urge More Co-Ordination In Future

webfact

UK experts praise flood response; urge more co-ordination in future

The Nation

30181446-01_big.jpg

Salter

BANGKOK: -- United Kingdom health experts have cautiously commended Thai authorities' responses to last year's flood crisis, but called for improvements in interagency cooperation and in planning in the future.

A team from the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA) has spent two weeks studying the health risks associated with the flooding. The visit, part of the UK's response to the natural disaster in Thailand, took the experts to some affected areas and allowed them to observe surveillance methods and meet senior officials of the Public Health Ministry.

The team's review of the situation would be released soon.

Dr Mark Salter, the team leader, was impressed by the flexibility and professionalism of Thai health personnel, who, he said, must have played a role in defusing potential health crises during and after the flooding.

But Thailand would need closer coordination among agencies and academics so that the country would be better prepared when similar disasters strike in the future, he said.

"Limited planning meant decisions had to be made on the hoof without always adequate time for consideration of the evidence. Pre-planning and working with academic partners would have allowed development of contingency arrangements, such as identification of flood plains and key buildings that might be suitable as shelters.

"In addition, consideration could have been given to stockpiling medical supplies, especially for those individuals with non-communicable diseases (like diabetes, asthma) who were forced from their homes due to rising floodwater," he said. "From a public health view, the most urgent issue should be to review how the health infrastructure responded to the unfolding crisis and how the system, including surveillance systems, might have responded in a more 'joined up' and timely manner."

The HPA and the Public Health Ministry, which he lauded for being sincere and open, were working on a more substantial collaboration "so we can learn from them as much as we hope they can learn from us".

To facilitate this collaboration, an HPA senior staff member will be sent to work with the Thai ministry with a view to holding a joint workshop later this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-07

Indeed they did appear to dodge a bullet in terms of disease outbreak. However, it would appear the most dangerous thing during the floods was the electricity system. Maybe the embassy would have been better to set up rudimentary classes in electrical installation and wiring.

• Like 2

A limited scope of observation. Focused in the health issues, '

not housing, work loss, water management or duration,

but simply on how the clean up and toxicity over-spill are handled.

And "United Kingdom health experts have cautiously commended... "

cautiously is left out of the title, leading to an 'as far as they have seen'

commendation not a definitive one.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

It didn't sound like a commendation to me more like you blew it with the exception of health care and even that needs a little tweaking.

What was GB doing reviewing the handling of the flood. Are we going to be getting reviews from other countries?

"A limited scope of observation. Focused in the health issues, '

but simply on how the clean up and toxicity over-spill are handled."

I was going to start this post "With respect" but no.

Despite your eagerness to denigrate the governments response to the floods, what, exactly, do you think that "A team from the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA)" would investigate?

From your post you seem to think that their remit would cover "housing, work loss, water management or duration"?

The role of the CMOs and the efforts of the provincial teams was never covered by the press in Thailand. These men and women worked around the clock, often going for days with no sleep and limited food. The people doing the work came from the public health sector. These were the nurses, support staff and physicians that receive a fraction of the pay and benefits at the private hospitals. Yet, on their shoulders lay the safety of the nation. Vaccinations, wound cleanings, relocation of critical care patients and the suppression of deadly diarrhea in the child population made up their days, all of it done without any acknowledgment from the angry critics in TVF.

After a flood of this size and length, thousands could have been expected to die as typhoid, pulmonary infections and diarrhea took hold. In some areas, it was a close call, but the MoH held the line. It is wonderful that the Ministry and all of its associated personnel get some credit for a job well done.

Agreed, though much more credit to the Doctors and Nurses than the politicians in the MoH.

Despite your eagerness to denigrate the governments response to the floods, what, exactly, do you think that "A team from the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA)" would investigate?

From your post you seem to think that their remit would cover "housing, work loss, water management or duration"?

They can't help it, it seems vital to have something to moan about.

Some people would complain about cold beer on a hot day.

A bit like my old school reports. ie Did well but could do better.

I used to get that, "Must try harder"!

I am surprised at this statement. The British Diplomatic machine is normally excellent at avoiding making any statement that could be seen as being remotely supportive of any ridiculous occurrences (Iraq, Afghanistan and George Bush excepted!). The Ambassador here in Thailand would have been acutely aware of the futile, disorganized attempts by the Government to do anything about the floods. Indeed considerable praise should be given at an individual level for those Doctors and Nurses who worked tirelessly without media recognition. The country owes them a lot. However to be seen to be supportive in any way of the Governments efforts displays them to be living in dream land. I admit though that a little bit of this may be media hype, as if I were 'cautiously commended', I would see it as a kick in the pants and certainly would not be seeing it as a laudatory comment.

• Like 2

Other aspects of the flood were addressed by British Ambassador Asif Ahmadin in an article from the other paper just last week in which he details how Yingluck's government's flood response was self-defeating.

It also provides more details of this OP's Dr. Salter when he voices concern over not addressing the potential problems of those with chronic conditions as well as needing a way to deal with those many who suffer from non-communicable diseases such as mental health and physical ailments.

It includes the stats compiled by Dr. Salter that there were 815 deaths from the floods, including 671 drownings.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Some people would complain about cold beer on a hot day.

Too right we would not! And why would we?? burp.gif

-mel.

A bit like my old school reports. ie Did well but could do better.

I used to get that, "Must try harder"!

I am surprised at this statement. The British Diplomatic machine is normally excellent at avoiding making any statement that could be seen as being remotely supportive of any ridiculous occurrences (Iraq, Afghanistan and George Bush excepted!). The Ambassador here in Thailand would have been acutely aware of the futile, disorganized attempts by the Government to do anything about the floods. Indeed considerable praise should be given at an individual level for those Doctors and Nurses who worked tirelessly without media recognition. The country owes them a lot. However to be seen to be supportive in any way of the Governments efforts displays them to be living in dream land. I admit though that a little bit of this may be media hype, as if I were 'cautiously commended', I would see it as a kick in the pants and certainly would not be seeing it as a laudatory comment.

I think we are seeing that in the modern day, British diplomatic efforts go hand in hand to making sure that they don't ruffle any feathers overseas and act to help British economic causes as much as possible. We are not kings of the waves any more.

It is an extremely misleading headline. He is praising the efforts of the medical fraternity for avoiding a humanitarian disaster, and the Nation takes a very broad brush in stating that it is praise for the "authorities" in general.

• Like 1

It is an extremely misleading headline. He is praising the efforts of the medical fraternity for avoiding a humanitarian disaster, and the Nation takes a very broad brush in stating that it is praise for the "authorities" in general.

While at the same time the British Ambassador has less than flowery praise for these other aspects which is likely to "ruffle some feathers" and is more indicative of the "British diplomatic machine" stance more so than a governmental physician.

While at the same time the British Ambassador has less than flowery praise for these other aspects which is likely to "ruffle some feathers" and is more indicative of the "British diplomatic machine" stance more so than a governmental physician.

I didn't hear that the Ambassador had said anything at all specific about the flood in a negative way. If you haven't got something good to say or practical to add to improve it, say nothing at all.

I didn't hear that the Ambassador had said anything at all specific about the flood in a negative way. If you haven't got something good to say or practical to add to improve it, say nothing at all.

He spoke of the government's refusal to accept international assistance, poor communication of information to the public, the shortage of drinking water, and the ever-changing pronouncements from the government regarding the status of the flooding.

Even with the multiple shortcomings the government displayed, the Ambassador heaped praise on the Thai public itself for their determination to see it through.

He also made a number of recommendations on how to improve the situation should it recur.

Edited by Buchholz

In diplomatic speak, the Thai government showed a most imaginative and novel approach which can be cautiously commended although some improvements in inter-agency cooperation and in planning might need to be contemplated for the future.

By Jove, well done indeed.

Yingluck did a good job.

Can you please tell me exactly what job she did?

-mel.

Needless to say that her decisions were the reason for at least 80% of all the damage incurred during this flood. Her incompetence was simply blatant and her actions (populism) totally irresponsible. She has failed over the whole line when it comes to flood management and mitigation irresponsive of the good advice that was given to her from the BKK Municipality (Democrats), who had much more experience in flood management and control. She should appear in court for that! So simple it is. You must be a red shirt to NOT see this!

The HPA is not connected to the FCO or any other group involved in diplomacy. They came to learn, by seeing the mistakes and successes that others made, they concluded that in the area of health and disease prevention the Thais had done quite well. I agree, half way through the floods I was predicting major outbreaks of disease, I was surprised there were none.

It seems that any praise for Thailand, even slight praise, will automatically be denigrated by some members of TV just in case it might show the incumbent government in a good light.

Logically the current batch of medical staff in Thailand are the same as during the Abhisit era, nurses are not political appointees, so their response would be the same irrespective of governments, the only involvement of government is to facilitate or hinder that response.

Why do so many wingers here have to view everything through political glasses?

• Like 1

In diplomatic speak, the Thai government showed a most imaginative and novel approach which can be cautiously commended although some improvements in inter-agency cooperation and in planning might need to be contemplated for the future.

By Jove, well done indeed.

Thank you Sir Humphry!