UK Experts Praise Thai Authorities' Flood Response; Urge More Co-Ordination In Future

webfact

Seems the Brits are putting a spin on the critical comments of the outgoing ambassador. I think the praise implied for all those selfless health workers who laboured so hard and so long and averted plagues and epidemics is totally warranted. Well done guys. The phuyais had absolutely nothing to do with it and didn't even commend them for their magnificent efforts. Shame on them! And shame on the TV headline writers - just for once could you get a headlne right? It's not as if this is a newspaper where your headline is limited by the space available. It's the internet. For krissake get the headlines right, even if they have to be a bit longer.

Blame the Nation : http://nationmultime...d-30181446.html

TV just reposts.

edit: actually ... it seems TV has added "Thai Authorities" ... which is strange.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

It didn't sound like a commendation to me more like you blew it with the exception of health care and even that needs a little tweaking.

What was GB doing reviewing the handling of the flood. Are we going to be getting reviews from other countries?

I have to agree.

Whenever I had to give someone a b****cking, I would always start with something along the lines of: "I thought your handling of this particular element of the project was excellent; however, ..........%#@*# ...!!" This is essentially what this message does

I certainly wouldn't see it as a commendation, but rather, some thinly-veiled criticisms of things that could have been done far, far better!

A limited scope of observation. Focused in the health issues, '

not housing, work loss, water management or duration,

but simply on how the clean up and toxicity over-spill are handled.

And "United Kingdom health experts have cautiously commended... "

cautiously is left out of the title, leading to an 'as far as they have seen'

commendation not a definitive one.

"A limited scope of observation. Focused in the health issues, '

but simply on how the clean up and toxicity over-spill are handled."

I was going to start this post "With respect" but no.

Despite your eagerness to denigrate the governments response to the floods, what, exactly, do you think that "A team from the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA)" would investigate?

From your post you seem to think that their remit would cover "housing, work loss, water management or duration"?

Exactly what they did,

a not what the topic title falsely implied it to mean.

" UK experts praise flood response; urge more co-ordination in future "

PS. I was never expecting respect from you anyway.

It is not eagerness, just observation and comment on the reality,

rather than pretend from personal bias that it was handled well.

It wasn't.

In his desperation to suck up to the man in Dubai he is willing to believe the title in a article writen by a doubious news paper to begin with.

If he had read the article in it's entirety he would know that they were saying more cooperation is needed. The response was put in terms that said you only did a so so job and it was based on a study taken over four months after the flood was over. Besides I highly doubt they were shown every thing. They just got a guided tour of some of the lesser hit areas.

I would like to see them walk through some of the poorest areas in Bangkok now and do an on the spot evaluation. Any good doctor with integrity would drop the politically responsible report and say it needs help now nothing is or has been done.

What were they doing here in the first place. Were they invited in the hopes that showing them the least harmed areas they would report to the outside world about the great Job Thailand is doing in reacting to natural disasters,

If so they blew it.

• Like 1

This government is quite capable of slapping its own back without the assistance of a UK agency that, apart from its wildly fantastical appraisal - aided by selective extrapolation - of what occurred on the ground, would be better employed concerning itself with events closer to home. As it is paid to do!

• Like 1

It is an extremely misleading headline. He is praising the efforts of the medical fraternity for avoiding a humanitarian disaster, and the Nation takes a very broad brush in stating that it is praise for the "authorities" in general.

While at the same time the British Ambassador has less than flowery praise for these other aspects which is likely to "ruffle some feathers" and is more indicative of the "British diplomatic machine" stance more so than a governmental physician.

I didn't hear that the Ambassador had said anything at all specific about the flood in a negative way. If you haven't got something good to say or practical to add to improve it, say nothing at all.

He spoke of the government's refusal to accept international assistance, poor communication of information to the public, the shortage of drinking water, and the ever-changing pronouncements from the government regarding the status of the flooding.

Even with the multiple shortcomings the government displayed, the Ambassador heaped praise on the Thai public itself for their determination to see it through.

He also made a number of recommendations on how to improve the situation should it recur.

Yes! Like, take advice from people who know what the fxxk they are doing, but that would never occur here in the land of 'FACE'.

The HPA is not connected to the FCO or any other group involved in diplomacy. They came to learn, by seeing the mistakes and successes that others made, they concluded that in the area of health and disease prevention the Thais had done quite well. I agree, half way through the floods I was predicting major outbreaks of disease, I was surprised there were none.

It seems that any praise for Thailand, even slight praise, will automatically be denigrated by some members of TV just in case it might show the incumbent government in a good light.

Logically the current batch of medical staff in Thailand are the same as during the Abhisit era, nurses are not political appointees, so their response would be the same irrespective of governments, the only involvement of government is to facilitate or hinder that response.

Why do so many wingers here have to view everything through political glasses?

Because it all comes down to politics?

A limited scope of observation. Focused in the health issues, '

but simply on how the clean up and toxicity over-spill are handled.

And "United Kingdom health experts have cautiously commended... "

cautiously is left out of the title, leading to an 'as far as they have seen'

commendation not a definitive one.

You may not have noticed in your rush to judgement that this was the UK Health Protection Agency; why on earth would they comment on housing, work loss or water management?

It didn't sound like a commendation to me more like you blew it with the exception of health care and even that needs a little tweaking.

What was GB doing reviewing the handling of the flood. Are we going to be getting reviews from other countries?

No need for other reviews - we have enough experts on TV,as exemplified by your response. I suspect that if you rethink your reading of the OP the UK Health Protection Agency said nothing to suggest "you blew it". Nor would they ever comment outwith their area of expertise, unlike so many here.

The UK experts particularly liked the "1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River".

I must have missed that - where was it said?

Your funny bone must be out of order. That was a prime example of sarcasm.

Always glad and willing to offer free and unwanted advice and information, your local Dutch uncle wai.gif

Edited by rubl

The UK experts particularly liked the "1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River".

I must have missed that - where was it said?

Your funny bone must be out of order. That was a prime example of sarcasm.

Always glad and willing to offer free and unwanted advice and information, your local Dutch uncle wai.gif

That, uncle, is where we disagree.This thread is supposed to be about the UK HPA's comments on Thailand's successful avoidance of serious outbreaks of disease during and following the floods last year - not the ineptitude of the incumbent government and its attempts at mitigation.

I really do have a sense of humour and my post that you quoted was a real example of sarcasm.

Incidentally I have two nephews who were born in your native country; does that qualify me as a Dutch uncle too?

Incidentally I have two nephews who were born in your native country; does that qualify me as a Dutch uncle too?

According to Wiki:

"Dutch uncle is a term for a person who issues frank, harsh, and severe comments and criticism to educate, encourage, or admonish someone. Thus, a "Dutch uncle" is a person who is rather the reverse of what is normally thought of as avuncular or uncle-like (which would be indulgent and permissive)."

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Dutch_uncle

Maybe I should ask your nephews tongue.png

I, of course, am a Dutch uncle by virtue [sic] of being Dutch and an uncle, amongst others that is wai.gif

Edited by rubl

According to Wiki:

"Dutch uncle is a term for a person who issues frank, harsh, and severe comments and criticism to educate, encourage, or admonish someone. Thus, a "Dutch uncle" is a person who is rather the reverse of what is normally thought of as avuncular or uncle-like (which would be indulgent and permissive)."

I, of course, am a Dutch uncle by virtue [sic] of being Dutch and an uncle, amongst others that is wai.gif

Yes but in any English definition of Dutch uncle there has to be the possibility of being an uncle to Dutch children; that's how the language works. So I could be avuncular and still be a Dutch uncle

According to Wiki:

Yes but in any English definition of Dutch uncle there has to be the possibility of being an uncle to Dutch children; that's how the language works. So I could be avuncular and still be a Dutch uncle

I do not really agree with this explanation, the second sentence can be correct, but not because of the first sentence. With English as second or maybe third language there is a faint possibility that I might be wrong wai.gif

Edited by rubl

Yingluck did a good job.

Can you please tell me exactly what job she did?

-mel.

Needless to say that her decisions were the reason for at least 80% of all the damage incurred during this flood. Her incompetence was simply blatant and her actions (populism) totally irresponsible. She has failed over the whole line when it comes to flood management and mitigation irresponsive of the good advice that was given to her from the BKK Municipality (Democrats), who had much more experience in flood management and control. She should appear in court for that! So simple it is. You must be a red shirt to NOT see this!

Garbage........any neutral could see that the damage done was caused by a lack of preparation and ridiculous planning decisions that were put in place long before Yingluck came to power. Long before.

She will be to blame if there is a repetition though.

Anyway, shock development, British diplomats were diplomatic. Who would have thought huh? coffee1.gif

The UK "experts" left out 1 key phrase,"after the fact", in regards to the Thai response to the floods.

They actually have no idea of how munch physical damage was done to people. All they have is cherry picked information and a on site study four months after the fact.

The medical workers did out standing work but there was just to munch for them to do.

Here is the quote from the article referring to the health workers

"Dr Mark Salter, the team leader, was impressed by the flexibility and professionalism of Thai health personnel, who, he said, must have played a role in defusing potential health crises during and after the flooding."

One could include the army in to that statement. They were the biggest part of the volunteers out in the field. The medical staff did not have time to go out there and do any thing.

I know my son in law and his wife had to take refuge in Don Moung and we had to send him enough money to buy a boat as his feet were getting extremely sore from the water. He is going to school and was able to attend classes so he could not stay high and dry. That is just one example of what the medical people had to deal with.

I don't know but I strongly suspect after the flood was over they were still dealing with health issues it caused. And could still be dealing with it.

It would be great if the government published some truthful and accurate figures on all the deaths, serious illnesses..etc. from leptospirosis, dengue, rabies, and food poisoning. It's a certainty that the British team verified all these figures before they issued their patronizing "we are impressed" comments.

Getting given a compliment from the UK is like getting given flying goggles from Emperor Hirohito.

I think we better stop quoting people from history. Those concerned most probably don't know who we're talking about unless we give them a wikipedia link.

Or maybe even that wouldn't work. Does anyone know if the redshirts have their own version of wikipedia yet?

Getting given a compliment from the UK is like getting given flying goggles from Emperor Hirohito.

I think we better stop quoting people from history. Those concerned most probably don't know who we're talking about unless we give them a wikipedia link.

Or maybe even that wouldn't work. Does anyone know if the redshirts have their own version of wikipedia yet?

Your suggestion is not limited to just redshirts. And yes they do have their own version, it's called "TiT". They quote it often.

According to Wiki:

I do not really agree with this explanation, the second sentence can be correct, but not because of the first sentence. With English as second or maybe third language there is a faint possibility that I might be wrong wai.gif

I truly admire your fluency in English, I wish I could emulate it in Thai; but you are wrong. "Dutch uncle" has a specific meaning in the sense that you use it but the words themselves can be combined otherwise with their literal meanings.

If I said to you that I got a French letter today, you could make two interpretations:

I bought a condom or

I received a letter from France.

English is in many ways an imprecise language and can be confusing. My nephews would call me their Scottish uncle. Speaking to them directly, of course, I would not describe myself as their Dutch uncle because that would be inaccurate.

However if I say to you that I am a French lover, it has two meanings:

I am French and a gigolo or

I love French things.

All completely off topic but perhaps the moderators won't object to a little friendly banter instead of the normal vituperation

• Like 1

Indeed they did appear to dodge a bullet in terms of disease outbreak. However, it would appear the most dangerous thing during the floods was the electricity system. Maybe the embassy would have been better to set up rudimentary classes in electrical installation and wiring.

Indeed they did appear to dodge a bullet in terms of disease outbreak. However, it would appear the most dangerous thing during the floods was the electricity system. Maybe the embassy would have been better to set up rudimentary classes in electrical installation and wiring.

How very true. Even some smaller hotels have dangerous shower installations (my friends and I have had a few shocks - though not together, I hasten to add). Sadly, my wife's younger cousin was electrocuted in their home-village near Amnat Charoen a month ago. These accidents happen so often, I'm afraid, when there is no real system for checking up on elctrical installation safety.