Thai Only At The "Tide Resort"

BigSkip

Just received a sms advert on my phone stating:

Tide Resort, Special present for "Thai Seniors, age of 55 years old or older stay at Deluxe Room for just 2,600b. And receive 50% discount for Traditional Thai Massage Tele# 038399200

Didn't know Thailand was so prejudice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are any of you aware of B.S. like this?????

This is the second time for this kind of B.S., 4 weeks ago I went to buy the i-phone from "true move" for 50% off with the package, if you buy before 16apr12, they said "Thai People Only"

Edited by BigSkip
Font reset.
  • Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no prejudiced people or discrimination in Thailand,only delusional political correctness obsessed lonely farangs think they experience it

How much do you pay for these?

post-37101-0-59760500-1336369875.jpg

29 bahts @ Chatuchat Market

There is no prejudiced people or discrimination in Thailand,only delusional political correctness obsessed lonely farangs think they experience it

are you not one of those women who escaped france before being murdered by man ? its very common there i gather.....coffee1.gif

Yeah we even lost one of our best actresses that way : Marie Trintignant

http://en.wikipedia....rie_Trintignant

1 woman is killed by her companion every 2.5 day in France

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote.

This is (very mild and harmless) racism against Thais (not against non-Thais); this business is simply trying to implement price discrimination (a perfectly reasonable policy).

However, they are making a strange and (very slightly racist) assumption that Thai people will only pay a lower price, due (solely) to their nationality.

If anyone thinks a (profit maximising) business offers discounts to a certain group because they prefer that group they need to read some high-school economics textbooks.

If I was Thai I would (very slightly) offended to receive such an SMS; as a non-Thai I cannot see any issue

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

are you not one of those women who escaped france before being murdered by man ? its very common there i gather.....coffee1.gif

but who cares ?

Edited by soundman

but who cares ?

You apparently otherwise you would not mention it

Edited by soundman

This is (very mild and harmless) racism against Thais (not against non-Thais); this business is simply trying to implement price discrimination (a perfectly reasonable policy).

However, they are making a strange and (very slightly racist) assumption that Thai people will only pay a lower price, due (solely) to their nationality.

If anyone thinks a (profit maximising) business offers discounts to a certain group because they prefer that group they need to read some high-school economics textbooks.

If I was Thai I would (very slightly) offended to receive such an SMS; as a non-Thai I cannot see any issue

I am not upset with the sms per say... I am upset that i should pay more than the next Guy..................... because I am not Thai.. bottom line!

Edited by BigSkip
  • Like 1

On this one, I'd say, get over it.

For a long time, many top end hotels had a very active policy of not allowing Thai's to stay. Foreginers only policy so to speak, and I doubt many here have complained abou it when things have gone their way.

I dare say that they above not may have been a bad translation (but perhaps not). The Thai tourist industry for the best part of a decade now has been running deals for the benefit of 'Thai residents' meanign anyone holding a Thai ID card or any foreigner with any sort of long term visa. I suspect, though stand me be corrected, that this is all they are trying to say.

So what I say is, why not go ahead and book and see if a non-immigrant visa/DL/work permit helps you acheive getting the deal.

• Like 1

I am not upset with the sms per say... I am upset that i should pay more than the next Guy..................... because I am not Thai.. bottom line!

Be prepared to be crucified lol whistling.gif

Edited by aneliane

But you don't have to pay anything... you are talking about a business... if you don't feel their pricing structure represents good value for money for you then do not purchase goods or services from them... are you also offended by student discounts?

• Like 1

This is the second time for this kind of B.S., 4 weeks ago I went to buy the i-phone from "true move" for 50% off with the package, if you buy before 16apr12, they said "Thai People Only"

I went for that offer and applied as a True Visions customer, they didn't say anything to me about it being for "Thai people only" they did say that you need to have a MasterCard or Visa credit card, which I didn't have, but, despite the fact I'm not Thai and didn't have the required credit card, I am now the proud owner of my new phone courtesy of the True 50% offer.

Tide Resort, Special present for "Thai Seniors, age of 55 years old or older stay at Deluxe Room for just 2,600b. And receive 50% discount for Traditional Thai Massage Tele# 038399200

What I don't understand is they wrote to you in English?

Or did you translate it?

Any time I received a text / SMS in Thailand it was in Thai ...

Some 10 yrs ago, i was in Khao San Road with a Thai friend of mine, we went to an agency to buy a bus ticket to Chiang Mai, and we were told :- No Thais allowed..-blink.png

We were a bit baffled, but we just took another bus.

I don't understand the price policy of this resort, but, racist or not, i would boycott them.

• Like 1

I went for that offer and applied as a True Visions customer, they didn't say anything to me about it being for "Thai people only" they did say that you need to have a MasterCard or Visa credit card, which I didn't have, but, despite the fact I'm not Thai and didn't have the required credit card, I am now the proud owner of my new phone courtesy of the True 50% offer.

Lesson - always take with a massive grain of salt any English language promotional materials that you receive from a firm where English is unlikely to be the native language.

• Like 1

^^^^^

Not really sure what lesson I could have learned, the "Thai only" requirement was not in their ad, and it wasn't said to me when I took advantage of the offer.

The "must buy with a credit card" was in their ad, but I missed it, and they allowed me to pay by cash.

Maybe they just didn't want a whole lot of foreigners with a sense of entitlement to turn up and have farang fits everytime the staff said Mai Mee, complain about smelly Thai food, carry on about noisy Thais and their disgusting habits, moan about the lack of western-type amenities and who think the special price of thb2,6000 ought to come with 24hour english-speaking serfs to cater to one's every whim and fancy????

• Like 1

I am discriminated against anywhere for being single male and between the ages of 25-65.

Not that it is a problem as I have sacks more cash than kids or most OAP's so I don't mind a bit of subsidising here or there. Same goes for most Thais.

Get over yourselves or grow a pair...now there is a thought....

So you're basically saying that BigSkip is either making this up or is full of sh*t? Because I would agree with you on both counts.

The reason some business reject Thais is because they need to reserve spots for clueless foreigners. Thais won't eat every meal at the over priced hotel restaurant, they will go out on their own and eat at cheaper places. Foreigners are often afraid, some resorts will say it's dangerous to go out alone and you need to book tours with them or that you will get sick eating outside the hotel, and they will stick to the over priced resort. Thais go off on their own so the hotel won't make as much money from them. Same with buses. Those KSR buses stop at restaurants and travel agencies where foreigners will buy meals from them and book hotels and trips, but Thais don't need or use these services. Although I've seen Thais on these buses so don't think it is still the case. In these type of cases they don't want Thais because they want foreigners who don't speak Thai, don't realize they are being over charged, and are afraid or unable to do things on their own. Just like how tuk tuks outside of Patpong don't want Thais either.

• Like 1