Thai Only At The "Tide Resort"

BigSkip

A classic Cheap Charlie thread. Love it!smile.png

2600 for Thai versus 4000 baht for white folk.

Completely unfair and racist.

it is not about cheap, but about what is right.

double pricing is unfair but it isn't racist...usually the rip off Thais who doesn't know anything the same way.....I have seen double pricing at some silly "HiSo" Thais....

Whitie is charged more because he is not Thai and that is not racist?

I think you would be singing a different tune if it was a the USA and it was a black man that could not get the cheaper deal. And BTW, there are some hotels that have signs - No Chinese guests. If you do not think Thais are racists, then you must not get out much.

Edited by Koratpat

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

h90, you say OK for in Thailand, but in other countries it would be illegal and the business would be eaten alive from the political correct.

Not true. B&Q UK advertise 10% discount for senior citizens on Wednesdays. Whilst it does not say UK senior citizens, I suggest non UK residents may have difficulty claiming this benefit. Anyway, whats wrong with helping your own? If we had thought a little more about that 50 years ago, the UK might be a very different place today.

I went for that offer and applied as a True Visions customer, they didn't say anything to me about it being for "Thai people only" they did say that you need to have a MasterCard or Visa credit card, which I didn't have, but, despite the fact I'm not Thai and didn't have the required credit card, I am now the proud owner of my new phone courtesy of the True 50% offer.

So you're basically saying that BigSkip is either making this up or is full of sh*t? Because I would agree with you on both counts.

Chonburi Central Mall, True Visions Center, I had my Thai Wife with me, (Thai Teacher of English & IT), no language barriers, no mistakes, no misquotes on my part. You got lucky with a employee who didn't want to argue about the offer...............................

But isn't that always the case in Thailand, different branches different interpretation of the rules.

I went to the True shop in Siam Square in Bangkok, they couldn't have been more helpful.

Another fully paid up member of the " well I have lived here --x number of years and this has never happened to me club" and at such an early stage of the topic too. Well done.

whistling.gif

Big Skip, if you call they will give you a room for 2740 baht, so you only pay 140 baht for being a pasty faced Gringo. clap2.gif

The ding bat I talked to did say I could call back and speak to Khun Tittty-gorn in the morning to see if he would let me "hab Thai peeeepol pro-mo-shun.

I

Thanks for your trouble... We have decided not to patronize them, Thanks AGAIN..!

Foreigner concerns about discrimination here are often trivial compared to what Thai nationals have to deal with in form of skin shade requirements, unreasonably restrictive age range requirements etc. for employment.

Right, so we should talk about it

@ Korpat.

What you are describing certainly is not racist.

My blond haired, blue eyed daughter with skin as white as the Irish would be eligible, as she has a Thai passport.

So would I, and I look spanish more than anything.

And so would a number of my friends who are ethically European. They hold Thai passports too.

Another fully paid up member of the " well I have lived here --x number of years and this has never happened to me club" and at such an early stage of the topic too. Well done.

What a stupid post. You have cherry picked quotes and posted them in a way to justify your view that is way off the mark.

All I said is that rules are interpreted differently from branch to branch, you will, or should be, aware that this is very common in Thailand.

How long I may have, or may not have, spent in Thailand is irrelevant and only seems to bother you.

So please don't juggle other posters comments to try and make a point.

Edited by theoldgit

Europe, America, Canada, and Australia - all have dual pricing as well.

Brit Rail has a 20% discount for European seniors and European youths. Non-European youths and seniors don't qualify.

Many European attractions have discounts for European seniors and European youths only. Non-European youths and seniors don't qualify.

Interail is much cheaper (half price if you get the 1 month pass) than the equivalent Eurail pass. Interail is for European residents only, Interail for non-European residents.

In the USA, a National Park seniors pass and access pass are only for Americans or permanent residents. Grand Canyon has a 25% discount for Arizona and Nevada residents.

In Australia, a National Park vehicle pass is only available to Australians. Much cheaper than the individual passes.

In Canada, Quebecers get a discounted rate at many Quebec tourist attractions.

If you believe Thai dual pricing is racist, what about the above examples in your home countries where you have to be a citizen or resident to get the discount rate? whistling.gif

You get the Thai rate if you obtain Thai citizenship or sometimes permanent residency. It has nothing to do with race.

A classic Cheap Charlie thread. Love it!smile.png

2600 for Thai versus 4000 baht for white folk.

Completely unfair and racist.

it is not about cheap, but about what is right.

double pricing is unfair but it isn't racist...usually the rip off Thais who doesn't know anything the same way.....I have seen double pricing at some silly "HiSo" Thais....

Whitie is charged more because he is not Thai and that is not racist?

I think you would be singing a different tune if it was a the USA and it was a black man that could not get the cheaper deal. And BTW, there are some hotels that have signs - No Chinese guests. If you do not think Thais are racists, then you must not get out much.

No Whities are charged more because it is possible not for racist reasons.

Racist would be to charge Whities more because they don't like Whities. But that is not the case.

It is more that the people who can be charged more are usually white skinned.

Brit Rail has a 20% discount for European seniors and European youths. Non-European youths and seniors don't qualify.

Many European attractions have discounts for European seniors and European youths only. Non-European youths and seniors don't qualify.

Interail is much cheaper (half price if you get the 1 month pass) than the equivalent Eurail pass. Interail is for European residents only, Interail for non-European residents.

In the USA, a National Park seniors pass and access pass are only for Americans or permanent residents. Grand Canyon has a 25% discount for Arizona and Nevada residents.

In Australia, a National Park vehicle pass is only available to Australians. Much cheaper than the individual passes.

In Canada, Quebecers get a discounted rate at many Quebec tourist attractions.

If you believe Thai dual pricing is racist, what about the above examples in your home countries where you have to be a citizen or resident to get the discount rate? whistling.gif

You get the Thai rate if you obtain Thai citizenship or sometimes permanent residency. It has nothing to do with race.

In Austria usually the German tourists pay more than the Austrians....Depending on the language

In the interests of completeness, samran, I think it's important to point out that while you look spanish you are also - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - very very ugly.

Oh, and you owe me a pint.

For the record, I fully approve of charging foreigners (and ugly people) more to enter Thailand and enjoy Thai activities. It's the only way to encourage the riffraff to stay away. And, while I'm thinking of it, the same applies to fat people.

Edited by bendix
  • Like 1

Racist would be to charge Whities more because they don't like Whities. But that is not the case.

Actually many Thais do not like us, but take our money. I know a Thai Chinese guy in Pattaya that owns a resort. When the farangs come there they think he is the nicest guy in the world. He is super friendly and actually spends most of the day chatting in English with the farangs staying at his place. But the ugly truth is that he spends most of time expressing his hatred towards farangs and gossiping about them. He has said many times that he likes our money but he hates us. I know this because we know two slaves....errrrr....staff that work their and not the real person that he is...a racist jerk.

Actually many Thais do not like us, but take our money. I know a Thai Chinese guy in Pattaya that owns a resort. When the farangs come there they think he is the nicest guy in the world. He is super friendly and actually spends most of the day chatting in English with the farangs staying at his place. But the ugly truth is that he spends most of time expressing his hatred towards farangs and gossiping about them. He has said many times that he likes our money but he hates us. I know this because we know two slaves....errrrr....staff that work their and not the real person that he is...a racist jerk.

You have always people like that. I had a weekend house in Pattaya and I must admit I also hated the Farangs. And specially these from my country (as I can understand their language best).

The Longnoses, permanent drunk, <deleted> the ugliest thai prostitutes day and night or shouting around because the Sauerkraut doesn't taste 100 % the same as in Germany....

Pattaya is the only example I can think of, where I complete understand that people are racists.

• Like 1

Rubbish.

Here is link to application form to get a National Park vehicle pass - all they want is your credit card number.

http://www.shop.nsw....e=npws-pass-all

https://www.shop.nsw...C8&code=npwsall

No mention of nationality or citizenship. (No mention even of visa status.) No mention of dual pricing.

One other point you are ignoring is that is very easy to get PR and citizenship in a country like Australia. In Thailand the former is very difficult (and expensive) and the latter is just about impossible!

Just received a sms advert on my phone stating:

Tide Resort, Special present for "Thai Seniors, age of 55 years old or older stay at Deluxe Room for just 2,600b. And receive 50% discount for Traditional Thai Massage Tele# 038399200

Didn't know Thailand was so prejudice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are any of you aware of B.S. like this?????

This is the second time for this kind of B.S., 4 weeks ago I went to buy the i-phone from "true move" for 50% off with the package, if you buy before 16apr12, they said "Thai People Only"

Welcome to Amazing Thailand ยินดีต้อนรับ

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Stjohnm

If I lived & worked in the Pattayatourist industry I'd hate most of the Farangs I'd come across.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Keep in mind the "truth" you're getting from his low-paid Thai staff is coming from their own limited POV, and possibly telling you what you want to hear to get your sympathy or even tips. It's true bosses here don't have the same namby-pampy relationship with their staff as many in the west shoot for, but that's just another cultural difference, I'm sure his staff can find work elsewhere if they feel so exploited.

Even if it's true, doesn't mean he's racist, maybe he just despises the kind of farang that partakes of the pleasures of Pattaya. He probably wouldn't have a problem with whites that are more respectable to his eyes, but he doesn't come into contact with them in his day to day life.

Being friendly to your customers is part of an innkeeper's job, he's just being a smart businessman, such hypocrisy is necessary to success in most business environments.

• Like 1

Man, that's like everywhere you go. Its just human nature that there are these types of people around the world.

Thailand don't have gangs at least like the skin heads, Black panthers, KKK etc.

The Arabs and Indians probably get it the worst anywhere around the world I reckon.

In the interests of completeness, samran, I think it's important to point out that while you look spanish you are also - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - very very ugly.

Oh, and you owe me a pint.

For the record, I fully approve of charging foreigners (and ugly people) more to enter Thailand and enjoy Thai activities. It's the only way to encourage the riffraff to stay away. And, while I'm thinking of it, the same applies to fat people.

When you but it that way, Bendix, I'll happily buy you a pint.

Man, that's like everywhere you go. Its just human nature that there are these types of people around the world.

Thailand don't have gangs at least like the skin heads, Black panthers, KKK etc.

The Arabs and Indians probably get it the worst anywhere around the world I reckon.

If you ever have been with some Arabs and Indians in a hotel than you understand that.......Even the nice Indians don't want to stay in a hotel that has Indian customer.....

Rubbish.

Here is link to application form to get a National Park vehicle pass - all they want is your credit card number.

http://www.shop.nsw....e=npws-pass-all

https://www.shop.nsw...C8&code=npwsall

No mention of nationality or citizenship. (No mention even of visa status.) No mention of dual pricing.

This site says licence and vehicle registration in that particular territory. So I suppose I should have said the discount is for Australian residents only, not only for Australians.

http://www.environme.../park-fees.html

The deal of $65 per year for all occupants in the car (available only to Northern Territory Australian residents) is much cheaper than a 1 person 3-day pass of $25 or annual $32.50 per person pass that visitors to Australia would have to pay. I don't think it is at all unfair, just one of the perks of being a resident. For unlimited entry for 1 year, a Thai family of 5 would have to pay $162.50 whereas a Northern Territory Australian family of 5 would only pay $65. Savings of close to $100. It's an example of price discrimination, which is what the OP was talking about (not dual pricing per se).

One other point you are ignoring is that is very easy to get PR and citizenship in a country like Australia. In Thailand the former is very difficult (and expensive) and the latter is just about impossible!

And? So certain stores shouldn't allow employee discounts because it's hard to get a job there?

Maybe if Australia had stricter PR and citizenship rules like Thailand they wouldn't be getting all these refugees on asylum ships arriving in the boatloads. whistling.gif

Contrary to what youd read in the tabloids, getting PR in Australia is hardly easy.

If people bothered to check, getting PR and citizenship in Thailand, while not always fast to get, is hardly overly difficult and certainly not as expensive as Australia when all costs are taken into account.

• Like 1

Now why would you do that, samran? You're a Thai. You can't fool us. It's a well known fact that Thais hate us farang and are racist towards us; that's been proven on this forum many times. On this thread even.

Oh wait . . I guess you think I'm rich and want to cheat me out of money, right?

D**n you pesky Thais.

Edited by bendix

Now why would you do that, samran? You're a Thai. You can't fool us. It's a well known fact that Thais hate us farang and are racist towards us; that's been proven on this forum many times. On this thread even.

Oh wait . . I guess you think I'm rich and want to cheat me out of money, right?

D**n you pesky Thais.

Sounds reasonable to me, go for it Samran :D

D**n you pesky Thais.

Fools and their money and all that gets proven here time and again.

Fortunately, you are no fool.

D**n you pesky Thais.

Sounds reasonable to me, go for it Samran biggrin.png

yeah, except he's 6'3" and I'm only a measly 6'1"

How else does one randomly pick him out in a crowded afterwork shopping mall in HK, like I did last year?

yeah, except he's 6'3" and I'm only a measly 6'1"

How else does one randomly pick him out in a crowded afterwork shopping mall in HK, like I did last year?

See what I mean? Every time a Thai opens his mouth, he's lying.

I'm 6'4"

That extra inch is important. So I've been told . . ..

(I'll get my coat . . . . .)

And on that note...I think the thread has run its course :-)

I was looking for some kind of height metaphor with which to close it but alas, came up short

//CLOSED//