Thai Only At The "Tide Resort"

BigSkip

It doesnt really bother me, it's their country. Sure I think its wrong and it can be an eye opened, but I'm sure farang get benfits that Thai's dont to balance it out.

I had to laugh the first time I looked through a jobs section in one of the newspapers. Many jobs were available only to Thai females between 21 and 30. May aswell have said 'only fit wmen need apply'.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just like how tuk tuks outside of Patpong don't want Thais either.

most unscrupulous taxi or tuk tuk drivers would prefer a farang on holiday than a thai man going to work

very easy to get some free money from one and nigh impossible to get it from another

The OP seems to be so offended that it's for Thais only that he seems to have missed the fact that it's only for Thais over 55. Are we to be deluged by posts from Thais who aren't yet 55 that they've been discriminated against? I suspect not. They have lives to lead... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

^^^^^

Not really sure what lesson I could have learned, the "Thai only" requirement was not in their ad, and it wasn't said to me when I took advantage of the offer.

The "must buy with a credit card" was in their ad, but I missed it, and they allowed me to pay by cash.

they shut me down the buggers

Totally normal and par for the course.

You also see offerings for "resident expats only", excluding tourists.

Also signs up saying "these prices do not apply to middle eastern and indian customers".

You're free to advertise for an employee specifying age, height/weight, religion bra size if you like for any position, no laws.

An airline recently hired kateoy-only flight attendant staff.

As a farang I get many things much cheaper than any self-respecting Thai would pay.

Don't let your blood pressure get up, go with the flow.

This is just the other side of the coin of the main reason we like it here.

If you want squeaky clean PC straight and narrow move to Singapore or Switzerland.

• Like 1

Also signs up saying "these prices do not apply to middle eastern and indian customers".

You're free to advertise for an employee specifying age, height/weight, religion bra size if you like for any position, no laws.

As a farang I get many things much cheaper than any self-respecting Thai would pay.

If you want squeaky clean PC straight and narrow move to Singapore or Switzerland.

You`re on the ball, our BigJohnnyBKK.

I think the said message actually means, residents of Thailand only.

Did the OP contact the Tide resort to confirm the exact meaning of the message?

There is no prejudiced people or discrimination in Thailand,only delusional political correctness obsessed lonely farangs think they experience it

are you not one of those women who escaped france before being murdered by man ? its very common there i gather.....coffee1.gif

Yeah we even lost one of our best actresses that way : Marie Trintignant

http://en.wikipedia....rie_Trintignant

1 woman is killed by her companion every 2.5 day in France

Even more discrimination from Thailand, because farangs are not allowed to kill their partners without a valid work permit.

• Like 1

Big Skip...I have been coming to Thailand for over 10 years.I did not realize the extent of prejudice in Thailand until I had my friend (Thai national) book a room for me. When I arrived to check in the price went way up! <deleted> ...I recently was called a racist by a TV member....me racist? My wife is Thai...we have a beautiful daughter and most of my friends are Thai. That being said...their are a couple TV members that will tell you the Thai's are not prejudice! BS...There are two prices. Thai price and Farang...price. Land of 1000 smiles...now you know why they are smiling!!! Sorry...sad but true!

On this one, I'd say, get over it.

For a long time, many top end hotels had a very active policy of not allowing Thai's to stay. Foreginers only policy so to speak, and I doubt many here have complained abou it when things have gone their way.

I dare say that they above not may have been a bad translation (but perhaps not). The Thai tourist industry for the best part of a decade now has been running deals for the benefit of 'Thai residents' meanign anyone holding a Thai ID card or any foreigner with any sort of long term visa. I suspect, though stand me be corrected, that this is all they are trying to say.

So what I say is, why not go ahead and book and see if a non-immigrant visa/DL/work permit helps you acheive getting the deal.

My (non imm type "o" multiple entry) has not help with price gouging at all! Neither has my wife...lol

There is no prejudiced people or discrimination in Thailand,only delusional political correctness obsessed lonely farangs think they experience it

are you not one of those women who escaped france before being murdered by man ? its very common there i gather.....coffee1.gif

It's the hairy arm pits you know, drives men mad.......And not in a good way!

• Like 1

Last year a Thai friend and I were planning a road trip to Kanchanaburi from Jomtien. My Thai friend went to a car hire on Theppraya Rd. and was told "we do not rent to Thais". He's a university graduate, well-spoken, has credit cards, but apparently none of that mattered. They only rent to farang.

One of the bigger English cruise lines has a lower age limit of about 50 years old, I believe.

I guess any establishment can choose it's customers?

It's usually OK to "reverse" discriminate, in this case against young people, but also whites, men, hetero's etc.

But if a cruise tried to ban over-50's there'd be a scandal.

Of course all they have to do is play up how loud the hip-hop and rap music is blasted all day and night and they'd be OK 8-)

I think the said message actually means, residents of Thailand only.

No I specifically meant offers for us long-stayers, they'll accept a non-tourist visa, Thai DL, tax record, basically the kind of stuff you'd use to try to get out of national park double-pricing.

Examples are hotel resorts in off-season, Ocean World's multi-pass in Siam Paragon's basement. They want to persuade long-stayers to get out and spend, but still be able to still gouge get full price from the tourists.

Sometimes Thais are included in the offer, sometimes they get a still lower price.

All par for the course and who cares, lots more heinous injustices to worry about to feel sorry for us fools in paradise.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

A couple of my Thai friends have asked me why Oxford (and other UK universities) charges 3x - 5x as much for non-EU (including Thai) students... the answer of course is that they need an extra income to survive given the strict limits that are set on their prices for EU students

I wonder if all the British citizens (I'm sure there is a parallel for other expat nationalities) who complain on TV about being charged a few extra baht to visit tourist attractions once per year would feel about a massive hike in UK tax (or maybe a reduction in their pensions) to subsidise a non-discriminatory pricing structure at UK universities (regardless of nationality)...

Price discrimination is often essential to profit maximisation (and in the case of UK universities their survival depends on it)... it is simply a matter of (high-school) economics and anyone who is against it is (probably unwittingly) against the concept of profit (and hence the system of capitalism that has transported us from the dark ages)...

Sorry for the rant but people are totally misunderstanding this if they think prices are set based on the racial / nationality preferences of a business (or its management)

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

I am not upset with the sms per say... I am upset that i should pay more than the next Guy..................... because I am not Thai.. bottom line!

I ran into the same thing a while back. 50% discount at a restaurant for people over 50 year old. Come to my surprise, it was for locals only and you had to show a regional ID card. This was in Florida BTW.

Tide Resort, Special present for "Thai Seniors, age of 55 years old or older stay at Deluxe Room for just 2,600b. And receive 50% discount for Traditional Thai Massage Tele# 038399200

What I don't understand is they wrote to you in English?

Or did you translate it?

Any time I received a text / SMS in Thailand it was in Thai ...

Yes in ENGLISH.....................

im located at north, so im not sure how it works for other areas. but some parks, temples are free entry for locals but not for foreigners and cm zoo charged double for foreigners

Show your Thai Drivers Lic and it is the Thai price

im located at north, so im not sure how it works for other areas. but some parks, temples are free entry for locals but not for foreigners and cm zoo charged double for foreigners

Show your Thai Drivers Lic and it is the Thai price

They are assuming you holding a thai citizenship, not a foreigner anymore. The intention still isnt right

yes in Thailand, but in other countries it would be illegal and the business would be eaten alive from the political correct.

Big Skip...I have been coming to Thailand for over 10 years.I did not realize the extent of prejudice in Thailand until I had my friend (Thai national) book a room for me. When I arrived to check in the price went way up! <deleted> ...I recently was called a racist by a TV member....me racist? My wife is Thai...we have a beautiful daughter and most of my friends are Thai. That being said...their are a couple TV members that will tell you the Thai's are not prejudice! BS...There are two prices. Thai price and Farang...price. Land of 1000 smiles...now you know why they are smiling!!! Sorry...sad but true!

Concur, When we travel to the night markets, ((the Mrs. & I)she loves to shop for everyday clothes there) I let her walk 20ft ahead of me and when she finds a piece of clothing she likes she holds it out and then looks my way if I agree with her and then she purchases it, otherwise the price is doubled. (She, well Educated Thai School Teacher)

This is the second time for this kind of B.S., 4 weeks ago I went to buy the i-phone from "true move" for 50% off with the package, if you buy before 16apr12, they said "Thai People Only"

I went for that offer and applied as a True Visions customer, they didn't say anything to me about it being for "Thai people only" they did say that you need to have a MasterCard or Visa credit card, which I didn't have, but, despite the fact I'm not Thai and didn't have the required credit card, I am now the proud owner of my new phone courtesy of the True 50% offer.

So you're basically saying that BigSkip is either making this up or is full of sh*t? Because I would agree with you on both counts.

Chonburi Central Mall, True Visions Center, I had my Thai Wife with me, (Thai Teacher of English & IT), no language barriers, no mistakes, no misquotes on my part. You got lucky with a employee who didn't want to argue about the offer...............................

Let me make it real clear, I love living in LOS, and I understand its my choice to stay. I am just venting about a situation that just really stuck in my craw. The positives still out weigh the negitives. wai.gifsmile.pngwai.gif

Concur, When we travel to the night markets, ((the Mrs. & I)she loves to shop for everyday clothes there) I let her walk 20ft ahead of me and when she finds a piece of clothing she likes she holds it out and then looks my way if I agree with her and then she purchases it, otherwise the price is doubled. (She, well Educated Thai School Teacher)

Are you saying that you choose what clothes your wife (educated school teacher and all) should buy? rolleyes.gif

whilst it is wrong, the simple thing is never stay there, just like I never do or go anywhere that has dual pricing (even though i have work permit that allows me in for thai price).

Are you saying that you choose what clothes your wife (educated school teacher and all) should buy? rolleyes.gif

tongue.png which is a good idea....

Try going to a national Park. It's Thailand if a Thai company wants to do a deal for Thai citizens only 'up to them'. If you don't like it - don't buy anything from that company ever. 'Up to you.'

One of the things I like about Thailand is the sense of nationalism (even if it is misguided at times). It's a pity that more western countries Australia & Britain for example didn't follow these principles, had they done so then maybe more of the locals would have a sense of national pride and maybe more young people would have a chance to buy a house if prices weren't pushed up by foreign investment.