Alert: North Thailand Warned Of Heavy Rain And Flash Flooding

george

Is it rain/heavy rain in your (North Thailand) area now?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here in Klong Lan by the Mae Wong national park we had heavy rain from Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning and showers since then.

The klong across the road went from 2 metres wide and 10 cm deep to nearly 4 m wide and 20 cm deep.

Last October it was 4 metres or more deep and about 50 metres wide.

The good part about the rain is that the government water started coming again after nearly 3 weeks with none.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's all the fuss about, May is the start of the rainy season and this is the norm. Some areas get more than others. Eventually the whole of Thailand will get the monsoon rains and flooding is the norm as well the rivers and causeways cant cope, because the fools keep throwing junk into them. It was only last week that 40 or 50 Provences were in drought and because of the extreme hot weather and no rain the earth was cracking and they were worried about the foundations of buildings in Bangkok and other areas. Cant have it both ways. This is life in Thailand.

• Like 1

Lets see here, Rayong needs some water, northern provinces will have alot coming soon, whats a little resource sharing amongst neighbors?

As of the 3rd of this month, 50 Provinces Declared Drought Disaster Zones

Resource sharing? An excellent, and not too difficult idea to accomplish, but you're kidding, right? That would take planning, organization, and the help of experts. Remember where you are.

Lets see here, Rayong needs some water, northern provinces will have alot coming soon, whats a little resource sharing amongst neighbors?

Not a problem.

Please submit your request with the proper paper work and tea money to the Government. They will promise you that you will be taken care of. But of course you will have to wait your turn on the promises to be done list.

Prepare for early flooding? ... I remember one of the ministers claiming there will be no floods this year... What was that again???...

Not the same. This is run-off from the water coming down the mountain.

555, Isn't that exactly what caused the flooding throughout so much of the country and Bangkok last year, heavy rains and "run-off from the water coming down the mountain"s ?

Nope, it was caused by childish MP's trying to change the laws of physics. Hopefully lesson learned; leave it to the people who know what they are doing this year.

Strange that we are getting flood alerts up here. Hope they realise that it is the start of the rainy season and rainfall like this is a good indicator that it has started!

Not a problem.

Please submit your request with the proper paper work and tea money to the Government. They will promise you that you will be taken care of. But of course you will have to wait your turn on the promises to be done list.

Just be patient, in time the water will flow down and might even get to Rayong via one of the canals to be dug. Don't complain if you get more than asked for thoughrolleyes.gif

Prepare for early flooding? ... I remember one of the ministers claiming there will be no floods this year... What was that again???...

Not one of the ministers, the PRIME MINISTER! And it was a promise! cheesy.gif

Before this rumour gets out of hand and is repeated as the truth this is what she actually said

The Thai premier said she had ordered the establishment of schemes to help companies get back on their feet from the disaster that knocked businesses sideways last year.

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," she told reporters in Tokyo during a joint press conference with her Japanese opposite number.

http://www.terradail..._chaos_999.html

which is NOT "claiming there will be no floods this year".

In our your mind, just what does "devastation caused by such disasters" mean to you?

And from that post the quote is

Dr Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairperson of the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF), said on Wednesday he was confident Thailand will not face a repetition of last year's flood crisis, as the government has been on the right track on water management and flood prevention.

Which as I have stated is NOT the same as saying there will be no flooding this year as claimed by you and lovetotravel.

You conveniently missed this bit from the article

"Dr Virabongsa said the government has invested more than Bt350 billion to improve flood prevention infrastructure. More flood embankments, canals and flood-related structures have been built, which he said would prevent future floods and the public could rest assured of the matter.

He also added if major floods do happen, neither this government nor himself in his position could last long."

We can all cherry pick but it is pretty clear to me he says "rest assured no more floods"

And from that post the quote is

Dr Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairperson of the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF), said on Wednesday he was confident Thailand will not face a repetition of last year's flood crisis, as the government has been on the right track on water management and flood prevention.

Which as I have stated is NOT the same as saying there will be no flooding this year as claimed by you and lovetotravel.

You conveniently missed this bit from the article

"Dr Virabongsa said the government has invested more than Bt350 billion to improve flood prevention infrastructure. More flood embankments, canals and flood-related structures have been built, which he said would prevent future floods and the public could rest assured of the matter.

He also added if major floods do happen, neither this government nor himself in his position could last long."

We can all cherry pick but it is pretty clear to me he says "rest assured no more floods"

350 billion baht goes a long way here, would mean a huge undertaking. Has anyone seen any evidence of such a massive project? He probably meant that Bt 350 billion was "earmarked" for infrastructure, "in the future".

First of all it’s La Niña, - nothing happens as usual! We saw heavy floods in Australia at a very early time in the year, a couple of days ago in Japan and Bangladesh. Maybe the science & technology minister (the expert who could not even run a zoo properly) should prepare his propellers again and knit on a huge umbrella.

Actually he wanted to sell off the animals as dinner!

First of all it’s La Niña, - nothing happens as usual! We saw heavy floods in Australia at a very early time in the year, a couple of days ago in Japan and Bangladesh. Maybe the science & technology minister (the expert who could not even run a zoo properly) should prepare his propellers again and knit on a huge umbrella.

Actually he wanted to sell off the animals as dinner!

The brilliant Big Plan would be the ones that nobody bought would be traded to other countries in exchange for water management expertise, because we know that for a few monkeys and snakes, you can get a top civil engineer and water management expert.

It is just the start of the rainy season, it might get worse or in a few weeks we will be in a drought again. who knows? The best thing that the Thai government could do is use machines to fill up the dams that are low at the moment with water and start releasing the rest downstream to the sea. I am just glad I will not have to swim to work this year!!

Feast or Famine, either way the little people will take the hit.

And those in titular control all hale the great job they are doing

and all the compaints as lies from the opposition.

Same butt wind, dry or wet between the cheeks.

Be safe out there folks we wish you all the best.

Edited by animatic

Here in Phaya Mengrai outside of Chiang Rai, the rain has been plentiful and welcome after a hot, dry spell. The ground is nearing saturation so maybe we don’t need a lot more. With most of the fields plowed I would guess people will start planting soon.

Not in the North, but here in Hua Hin just finished a heavy shower that lasted 30 to 40 minutes. Before that had been a shower of about 5 to 10 minutes. Looks like there might be more rain today yet.

50 km North of Chayaphum city good strong rain in the afternoon today, but nothing compared to yesterday in Khon Khaen city!

Nearly stand still driving on Highway from dangerously low visibility and Lotus Khon Kaen entry zones and some Parking lots 25+ cm under water.

Water started flooding inside the shopping center, Escalators had been turned off!

Not the same. This is run-off from the water coming down the mountain.

Who is kidding who, I am in Chiang Mai and I can assure you the rain has been coming down from the sky not the mountians and the local Khlong is already at almost the top. Agree flooding later will come from mountins but that is several days away.

I am in Chiang Mai too, about 35 miles SW and hit has rained fro 24 hours straight - our place is beginning to flood!

Not one of the ministers, the PRIME MINISTER! And it was a promise! cheesy.gif

Before this rumour gets out of hand and is repeated as the truth this is what she actually said

The Thai premier said she had ordered the establishment of schemes to help companies get back on their feet from the disaster that knocked businesses sideways last year.

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," she told reporters in Tokyo during a joint press conference with her Japanese opposite number.

http://www.terradail..._chaos_999.html

which is NOT "claiming there will be no floods this year".

Excuse me, but aren't the "devastating disasters" quoted in the above piece..."floods"?

Q.E.D. devastating disasters(DD) = Floods. This means she said there will be no more DD (floods) any more! coffee1.gif

Edited by TPI