Retirement Extension.

Last year I didn't expect floods and was able to renew my extension in October in the normal way, then leave for the duration of the floods This year, if floods are forecast again I shall wait in UK before returning. In that case I expect that my retirement visa will lapse when I don't extend it. Does anybody know the procedure for making another retirement visa?

Would I need to start again, new non-imm. visa, police clearance, how long I should need to be in Thailand to get the retirement visa etc.?

You can apply for a new non-O visa in the UK and enter on it. After 60 days in Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay as usual, with all the same paperwork.

For a non-O visa no police check is required.

A friend has just 'lost' his marriage extension because he left the country without getting a re-entry permit. He will get a 15 day stamp when he returns on Friday.

What are his options and can he go to Bangkok to upgrade to a non immigrant O visa?

He must be returning by land border so would advise immediate trip to Bangkok with financial proof (if his home immigration can not convert entry) as do not believe much under 15 days is allowed but believe they can do for that 15 day visa exempt now (old rule was 21 days minimum so would not allow). Perhaps he would be better served obtaining new single entry non immigrant O visa prior to return (same cost) and use that for entry (if he has paperwork with him).

He must be returning by land border so would advise immediate trip to Bangkok with financial proof (if his home immigration can not convert entry) as do not believe much under 15 days is allowed but believe they can do for that 15 day visa exempt now (old rule was 21 days minimum so would not allow). Perhaps he would be better served obtaining new single entry non immigrant O visa prior to return (same cost) and use that for entry (if he has paperwork with him).

Thanks Lopburi.

He is coming back from Cambodia (Cho Am land border) on Thursday. We tried an agent in Siem Reap to see if he could arrange a single entry Non-Imm O while we were here. They said they could only get Tourist Visas from Phnom Penh.

I guess he could try a personal trip to PP but I have also read that are not doing Non Imm visas.

His local immigration office is Korat and I have suggested a trip there on Friday. I have not heard of them converting VNR to Non-Imm. I thought they may be prepared to extend the 15 days to give breathing space to visit Bangkok.

However, I don't want him to waste a day (+ weekend) if the time would be better spent going straight to Chaeng Wattana.