Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

At what stage do they 'sex' the applications?

The government certainly makes the rules and decides on the budget but a 12 week delay is nothing compared to many US and Australian visas.

Settlement is a big decision (both for the applicant and the country deciding whether to admit the applicant). It is frustrating and expensive but it is a process pretty low down in the priorities of 99% of British residents therefore the government are not going to put a lot of effort into changing things.

Chronic under investment, increased work load and dubious management means a lot of unhappy 'customers'.

Question 1.4 on the application form.

Is it relevant?

Maybe. For example if a same sex partner is applying as a fiance when they should be applying as a prospective civil partner.

Not a question to get one's knickers in a twist over, I'd have thought.

Is it relevant?

Maybe. For example if a same sex partner is applying as a fiance when they should be applying as a prospective civil partner.

My response was to the suggestion that male and female applicants are treated differently!

To quote the poster:

"one thing that does seem a bit strange is why they sex the applications into male and female surely sex does not matter the process should start on deciding the merits not deciding what sex you are but then hey call me old fashioned,"

​It is completely appropriate to identify an applicant as male or female but would be highly inappropriate to treat a male applicant differently to a female one.

I have not seen any evidence that male and female applications are treated differently.

Is it relevant?

My response was to the suggestion that male and female applicants are treated differently!

To quote the poster:

"one thing that does seem a bit strange is why they sex the applications into male and female surely sex does not matter the process should start on deciding the merits not deciding what sex you are but then hey call me old fashioned,"

​It is completely appropriate to identify an applicant as male or female but would be highly inappropriate to treat a male applicant differently to a female one.

I have not seen any evidence that male and female applications are treated differently.

What i find is odd is when applications are sent in you have 1 person enter males information on to the computer system and another person does females it just seems a waste of time,,,why can't the same person do both,,,but if that is how they want then that is how they want it,

Edited by MaprangHolmes

I have never been into the UKVAC; and so would appreciate more details of what you saw when you were inside.

Are an applicant's details entered into the computer at the counter?

Do males and females have separate counters?

If 'no' to either of the above; how do you know?

If the UKVAC is anything like the waiting room of the visa office at the embassy used to be; once student applications have been submitted the person dealing with males only wont have much to do!

I have never been into the UKVAC; and so would appreciate more details of what you saw when you were inside.

Are an applicant's details entered into the computer at the counter?

Do males and females have separate counters?

If 'no' to either of the above; how do you know?

If the UKVAC is anything like the waiting room of the visa office at the embassy used to be; once student applications have been submitted the person dealing with males only wont have much to do!

My wifes good friend works at the British embassy in Bangkok dealing with visa applications!

who do you blame for the long processing time..........................The staff at the embassy in Bangkok? Umm think you could be onto a winner

My wifes good friend works at the British embassy in Bangkok dealing with visa applications!

So, according to you, your wife's good friend is one of those to blame for long processing times.

This friend has no doubt often entertained you with tales of ECOs and other visa staff rolling up mid morning, just in time for their long lunch from which they return mid afternoon for a quick 40 winks before packing up for the day.

who do you blame for the long processing time..........................The staff at the embassy in Bangkok? Umm think you could be onto a winner

So, according to you, your wife's good friend is one of those to blame for long processing times.

This friend has no doubt often entertained you with tales of ECOs and other visa staff rolling up mid morning, just in time for their long lunch from which they return mid afternoon for a quick 40 winks before packing up for the day.

Are you really trying to take the mick or just stupid I am at a loss to which?

maybe you just think that you are so important or so knowledgeable that you are the only person who can comment, It is must so great to always be right and condescending.

So, according to you, your wife's good friend is one of those to blame for long processing times. (umm did I say that?) Please show me where!

Who said that (This friend has no doubt often entertained you with tales of ECOs and other visa staff rolling up mid morning, just in time for their long lunch from which they return mid afternoon for a quick 40 winks before packing up for the day.) Did I say that? I am unable to remember saying that or posting that but maybe with you being in such a high position you are able to point me to the reference.

you will most likely delete this post but up to you.

Edited by MaprangHolmes

So, according to you, your wife's good friend is one of those to blame for long processing times. (umm did I say that?) Please show me where!

I refer you to the two posts of yours I quoted in my previous, and that you quoted in your previous! The one where you say one could be on to a winner by saying that the embassy staff are to blame for long processing times and then the one where you say a friend of your wife's is a member of staff at the embassy!

As for the rest of your rant; you seem to have suffered a sense of humour by-pass; but if my obviously tongue in cheek remarks offended you; apologies.

Oh, BTW; I would never abuse my position by deleting a post simply because the author disagreed with me.

Legitimate criticism I can, and do, live with; but personal attacks like yours make me wonder why I bother with this.

I logged on to update the waiting time list. Maybe you would like to take over that chore?

We applied on 28th May and my wife was called by the British Embassy in BKK on Tuesday, they told her that she could collect her passport but she would need to pass a medical as she has been living in Thailand for 6 months. We are still not clear if she got the ILR visa or if she needs to do the medical before they will issue it. The Thais are not most effective communicators. They told my wife not to book any flights so I suppose they haven't issued the visa.

My wife will call VFS on Monday to find out what is going on.

How much longer will this take to sort out? Who knows? Think it might be simpler and quicker if we relocated to the Far East. As most of family live there now, father in Thailand, brother in Malaysia, it almost makes sense to move.

That your wife was not told the result has nothing to do with your condescending remark about Thais' communication skills.

They did not tell her the result because it is confidential and

1. The person your wife spoke to almost certainly did not know the result.
  2. Even if they did, they would not reveal it over the phone.

Like all applicants your wife will have to wait until she receives and opens the envelope.

A TB certificate is a basic requirement for a settlement visa in Thailand, and many other TB high risk countries. It is impossible to get to the application form on the UKBA in Thailand website without being told this.

Even if you had not seen or ignored the requirement, when your wife submitted her application at the UKVAC the staff there would have warned her that without a TB certificate her application would be refused.

I can't remember when this requirement was introduced; did she not need one when she applied in 2007?

I have to be honest and say that the more you post the incomprehensible your actions are.

First she lives in the UK for 27 months on a spouse visa and then 24 months on FLR without taking the LitUK test or, even easier, an ESOL with citizenship course. You only seek to rectify that because a second FLR application she needs an A1 English speaking and listening pass, and you hadn't bothered to arrange that for her.

Now you fail to provide a basic requirement, a TB certificate, with her application for a new visa!

You may well say that you did not know what she needed to do. Neither did any of us; but we found out! Either by asking on forums like this or by checking the official guidance.

Could someone advise as we have won an appeal in the UK and have now been informed that the British Embassy in Bangkok have the decision will it be a 12 week wait or will the visa be issued earlier.

I do realise that my Stepson will have to send the Passport to Bangkok when they advise him does it go to the Embassy or the Visa office.

Many thanks

Chris.

We applied on 28th May and my wife was called by the British Embassy in BKK on Tuesday, they told her that she could collect her passport but she would need to pass a medical as she has been living in Thailand for 6 months. We are still not clear if she got the ILR visa or if she needs to do the medical before they will issue it. The Thais are not most effective communicators. They told my wife not to book any flights so I suppose they haven't issued the visa.

My wife will call VFS on Monday to find out what is going on.

How much longer will this take to sort out? Who knows? Think it might be simpler and quicker if we relocated to the Far East. As most of family live there now, father in Thailand, brother in Malaysia, it almost makes sense to move.

Do me a favour and move anywhere but Thailand you brain drain.. Been following this since it started and you and arick need to find you own little island somewhere special. Read the requirements and do as they instruct and stop bloody whinging all the time, it's not rocket science!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

7by7- I will keep this short, the TB cert/medical wasn't mentioned in the visa application and we were told by the staff at VFS that it only applies for stays of more than 6 months. They originally estimated that it would take about a month to process the visa application, actually it took 10 weeks.

Submitted 18/05 I think. it's been so long now I can't remember when I submitted it. Have called Vfs 3 times now and keep getting the same answer you will just have to wait. Everybody else on every forum I know of who have submitted there applications after me more than likely all have there wife's back in the UK by now so how can I just wait . This is just a joke I mean what is the point of sending my application to the isle of man it is part of the uk anyway so if they refuse it I will just go back with my wife and kid to the mainland anyway. If you no it is going to take longer why not just get it sent to the iom 2 wks earlier have I not payed the same ridiculous price just to be with my wife and child.Oh we'll just another thing to add to the list which makes this whole system an absolute abomination peace of crap that it is.

Does my wife's TB document need to be in date when she arrives in the uk or only in date when the visa is granted?

Thanks j

Neither; it needs to be in date when she submits the application.

This is just a joke I mean what is the point of sending my application to the isle of man it is part of the uk anyway

The isle of Man is not part of the UK; it is a Crown Dependency.

The point of sending the application to the Isle of Man? Ask the Isle of Man government.

If you do move back to the UK then your wife will need to make a new application under the new rules!

7by7- I will keep this short, the TB cert/medical wasn't mentioned in the visa application and we were told by the staff at VFS that it only applies for stays of more than 6 months. They originally estimated that it would take about a month to process the visa application, actually it took 10 weeks.

This is topic is entitled Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

A settlement visa is for more than 6 months.

Therefore she requires a TB certificate if applying for a settlement visa; as all the guidance says.

Visit visas are valid for a maximum of 6 months in the UK.

Therefore she does not require a TB certificate if applying for a visit visa.

Are you now saying, for the first time, that she did not apply for a settlement visa but for a visit?

JohnnyReece submitted his application on the 21/05. So I make that approx 50 working days for a reply. I'm up to 28 working days approx now so it's all down hill. ( fingers crossed )

21st of May??

Anyone know why applications are being processed out-of-order (chronological order) now?

Or, Johnny, did you contact the embassy to inform them of the pregnancy?

Thanks,

thomp256

I see you have got your visa now so congratulations. My wife entered the UK on Friday so this part of our journey is over now. I expect you understand what a feeling that is.

For reference to others, I contacted VFS in the week we got the result and asked for my compassionate grounds (wife pregnant with twins) to be considered. I am aware they contacted the Embassy but am unsure if it prompted anything or our result just took a natural course. It certainly feels like it was effective.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting. It is tough, I know how it feels believe me. Putting your life on hold and in most cases being apart is a heart-wrenching experience but stick with it and you'll forget all the pain in mere moments following a positive result.

As if it isn't annoying enough having to wait all of this time just for someone to look at an application just to top it off they start giving other people there's even though you submitted before them.

No offence to you johnnyreece congratulations hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Thanks Hardgrafter187

I am not sure how the order works, I'd imagine there is a pile that they just work through from the top - they are Civil Servants after all! I contacted VFS on compassionate grounds which may or may not have sped my wife's application up but otherwise I accepted that it was just a matter of waiting.

My advice would be just to remain positive ad believe that the result will eventually come. If you have a serious urgency other than you've been waiting a while contact them and see what happens. You'll forget all the waiting when you are eventually together.

JR

As if it isn't annoying enough having to wait all of this time just for someone to look at an application just to top it off they start giving other people there's even though you submitted before them.

No offence to you johnnyreece congratulations hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Thanks Hardgrafter187

I am not sure how the order works, I'd imagine there is a pile that they just work through from the top - they are Civil Servants after all!

I understand that you are correct.

However, sometimes an application may require further enquiries or be delayed for some other reason.

This is the case in Hardgrafter's case as his wife is not applying for a UK visa but for an Isle of Man one. Although she would have submitted her application in the same way as a UK application, the UKBA staff at the embassy are unable to make a decision but have no choice other than to refer the application to the Isle of Man immigration department for a decision.

This is where the delay to his application comes from.

This is not a situation of the UKBA's or the UK government's making; but that of the Isle of Man government. Similar arrangements apply to the Channel Islands.

As I posted earlier, there was another Isle of Man application reported here earlier in the year which took about 2 weeks longer than UK ones made at the same time.

Hardgrafter, I said earlier "If you do move back to the UK then your wife will need to make a new application under the new rules!" I should have added that this is if she applies from Thailand.

What the situation would be if she were living on the Isle of Man and then wanted to move with you to the UK I don't know.