Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Submitted 6th July e-mail received from UKBA today 23rd. 'Your documents can be collected in 2days'. SWMBO has paid for EMS delivery to the south so a few more days to wait.

Passport received back by EMS to Surat Saturday 25th - settlement visa granted :-) Flight to Thailand already booked for 8th Sept., two people flying back ;-) Last time we saw each other (apart from Google video - daily) was 4th Nov. Happy days!

• Like 1

The onus is on the applicant to provide all the necessary documents to show they meet the relevant criteria. The ECO is not obliged to request further documentation. If the evidence provided in the application does not show that the applicant meets the criteria for the visa applied for the ECO could have simply refused.

As they have requested further documentation I would say that means the ECO is minded to grant, but the application lacks some important evidence which, hopefully, the requested documents will provide. Once the ECO has these documents they will be able to make their final decision.

Was called on Monday, was asked to send more documents! Is this a good thing or bad thing? Anyone can advise.

It may possibly depend on what kind of application you made. It seems that ECOs can now ask for more documents in certain circumstances in applications under the new rules. Specifically regarding the new financial requirements. The published Appendix FM states :

The UK Border Agency caseworker should normally refuse an application which does not provide the evidence specified in this Appendix. However, where document(s) have been submitted, but not as specified, and the caseworker considers that, if the specified document(s) were submitted, it would result in a grant of leave, they should contact the applicant or their representative in writing or otherwise to request the document(s) be submitted within a reasonable timeframe. Examples of documents submitted not as specified include:

a) A document missing from a series, e.g. a bank statement;

b ) A document in the wrong format; or

c) A document that is a copy rather than the original.

If the applicant does not submit the document(s) as requested, the caseworker may refuse the application. Where the specified document(s) cannot be supplied (e.g. because they are not available in a particular country or have been permanently lost), the caseworker has discretion not to apply the requirement for the specified document(s) or to request alternative or additional information or documents be submitted by the applicant.

I know for sure of one application ( not ours) that has been asked to provide all of the specified evidence in a settloement visa application. Everything was produced except, apparently, the sponsor's original contract of employment. It does look like UKBA are going to insist that all of the specified documents are submitted, but it is good to see that they are not refusing applications out of hand just because a document might be missing.

Edited by VisasPlus

Well its been 5 weeks and 2 days.... the wait its starting to take its toll can't eat can't sleep. Its the not knowing that's killing me.

It might help if they updated the tracking thing a little,it still say its been forwarded to the British embassy .

Davos: Do you think they taking longer with yours because there are kids involved?

We applied 7/7. No children. I married my wife in 2002 in England. Maybe some officers are faster than others. Ever been stuck in the wrong queue in Swampy?

Regards.

Edit: Still waiting.

Edited by teletiger
  • Like 1

There is just no logic to it all, 6 weeks 7 weeks then some ppl wait 10/11 for what seem to be the same thing. I know that ppl have different circumstances but still there not miles apart. No kids,have money (well did before we started this :) ) Married and living in the UK.

Ahh well just having one of those days no one to have a rant at,so take it out in the forums.

I understand everyone's frustration, as me and my family are in the same boat.

Why do t the embassy just take control, where as we would take our application to the Eco/ECM, they look at it, and give us an answer there and then.

I wish everyone good luck with there applications. Will keep you updated on mine.

All the best

This is something i have always wondered about,

You send all your papers, House,Bank, ins and outs of a ducks arse. Do they look if they are legit? as in bank statements and if you live at the address. If so how? If they do i can understand why it takes weeks to sort but if there just there so they can tick a box it should only take 30mins.

6 bank statements TICK

Chat logs and skype TICK

Money transfers TICK

Can you see where im coming from?

People still seem to think that their application is seen by an ECO the moment it arrives at the embassy; it isn't.

I'm told the actual time spent by an ECO looking at an average application, assessing it and making a decision, is around 10 minutes.

What takes the time is the application getting in front of the ECO. Apply at a quiet time and the queue in front of you wont be very long; apply at a busy time and it will be longer.

When my wife and daughter applied, 99% of applicants did, as MrZM puts it, see the ECO and have their decision then and there. In as much as they were interviewed.

My wife and I queued for over an hour outside the embassy gates in the hot sun before we were allowed in to collect and complete the application form. We got there early; those behind queued even longer!.

Having completed the form we handed it in and were allowed into the waiting room where we waited another couple of hours before being called forward to pay our fee and be given my wife's interview date. This date was about 6 weeks in the future; and we applied at a quiet time of year!

Although the present system has it's faults; it is, in my opinion, infinitely better than that experience was!

After her interview my wife was told the result.

Hi guys, my wife has finally got the email to say a decision has been made and that her passport will be ready to collect in two working days. She received the email at 12:30pm today, so will she be able to collect from VFS on Friday???

People still seem to think that their application is seen by an ECO the moment it arrives at the embassy; it isn't.

I'm told the actual time spent by an ECO looking at an average application, assessing it and making a decision, is around 10 minutes.

What takes the time is the application getting in front of the ECO. Apply at a quiet time and the queue in front of you wont be very long; apply at a busy time and it will be longer.

When my wife and daughter applied, 99% of applicants did, as MrZM puts it, see the ECO and have their decision then and there. In as much as they were interviewed.

My wife and I queued for over an hour outside the embassy gates in the hot sun before we were allowed in to collect and complete the application form. We got there early; those behind queued even longer!.

Having completed the form we handed it in and were allowed into the waiting room where we waited another couple of hours before being called forward to pay our fee and be given my wife's interview date. This date was about 6 weeks in the future; and we applied at a quiet time of year!

Although the present system has it's faults; it is, in my opinion, infinitely better than that experience was!

After her interview my wife was told the result.

I understand where your coming from.

I always remember when I did my wife's second tourist visa, we went to the vfs office did the application. 36 hours it was ready and issued!

I know there are a lot of people applying for visas, I still believe a wait of approximate 12 weeks is far too long.

Regards

I also understand but still like to moan about it :)

If they do only have the papers in front of them for 10 mins what's going on for the rest of the weeks?

Let's say they have the papers for 30 mins and they work 7 hours a day for 5 days. That means that one person will process 14 a day 70 a week 280 a mth. That's only one person and we are giving them 20mins longer than we seem to think. Last mth they had and don't quote me 160applications

If they worked for me someone would be looking for a new job Monday :)

Before some tells me they do more than settlement visa I understand but remember there will be more than one person processing the applications .

Like I say its just a rant and things take as long as they take,and beats standing in the sun for 10 hours :)

Davos: Congrats mate good look for Friday

• Like 1

If they do only have the papers in front of them for 10 mins what's going on for the rest of the weeks?

Let's say they have the papers for 30 mins and they work 7 hours a day for 5 days. That means that one person will process 14 a day 70 a week 280 a mth. That's only one person and we are giving them 20mins longer than we seem to think. Last mth they had and don't quote me 160applications

If they worked for me someone would be looking for a new job Monday smile.png

Before some tells me they do more than settlement visa I understand but remember there will be more than one person processing the applications

They do indeed not just process settlement visas.

In July they processed 160 settlement visas, but they also processed 5282 non settlement visas (Source).

A total of 5442 processed. At an average of 10 minutes per decision that's 907 man hours in the month. Assuming 20 working days in July, i.e. no official holidays, that's 45.35 man hours per day; plus the time they have to spend writing reports, case notes etc.

Yes, I think you are right; there is more than one ECO working in Bangkok!

• Like 1

Before some tells me they do more than settlement visa I understand but remember there will be more than one person processing the applications

In July they processed 160 settlement visas, but they also processed 5282 non settlement visas (Source).

A total of 5442 processed. At an average of 10 minutes per decision that's 907 man hours in the month. Assuming 20 working days in July, i.e. no official holidays, that's 45.35 man hours per day; plus the time they have to spend writing reports, case notes etc.

So thats at least 4 people :)

like i have said its just a rant nothing more nothing less.

VisaPlus: Did you recive it today or ?.... Meaning did you get the mail saying it was ready today? Only ask becasue thats a week before ours. Gives me that hope that there might be a message in my inbox very soon.

Hello everyone, my wife received the text this morning that she could collect her passport today. She collected her passport this afternoon with her visa for 27 months inside. Hers will be valid from the 29 September (as requested).

Big thanks to those who have helped with advice over the past three years, initially when we applied for her family visitors visa.

End of an era!!

Will be back here in the future for help and advice on the next steps when she's actually here - most likely October.

Good luck to those still waiting,

Cheers :)

So thats at least 4 people smile.png

like i have said its just a rant nothing more nothing less.

VisaPlus: Did you recive it today or ?.... Meaning did you get the mail saying it was ready today? Only ask becasue thats a week before ours. Gives me that hope that there might be a message in my inbox very soon.

Received means passport and visa received in our office