Warning Check Your Reciepts At Dubai Duty Free Before Paying!

Recently retuned to uk via Dubai ,I purchased duty free and paid via a card so didnt end up with aed money as change.Back in uk now, working out how mutch it cost I spot an etra bottle of Grants whiskey added to the bill.Will check next time before paying,hope this helps stop someone else getting ripped off!

Dubai duty free is one of the largest globally, why not write, email them of the error, or just dispute the portion (bottle) of the

credit card charge and let the card company research the cause of the dispute.

• Like 1

I think many of the emirate countries employ immigrant labour as employees, such as cashiers (reasons; cheap labour and low status), and, while not casting aspersions and, if you can be bothered, it may be an idea to refer the matter to the Emirati airport chief who can then take up the matter with the franchisee. I am assuming that a commission is paid when a franchise is granted!

If I'm buying duty free it's usually just booze and cigarettes, so I know how much the total will be. Add in a bottle of perfume or whatever, I will still know roughly how much I'm spending. Why did the OP sign for something he didn't buy? To my mind, this ain't the fault of the duty free staff. The OP should have picked it up at the till at the airport.

I think many of the emirate countries employ immigrant labour as employees, such as cashiers (reasons; cheap labour and low status), and, while not casting aspersions and, if you can be bothered, it may be an idea to refer the matter to the Emirati airport chief who can then take up the matter with the franchisee. I am assuming that a commission is paid when a franchise is granted!

whaaaaat?? don't post a comment if you dont know what you are talking about! maybe the Duty Free cashier's salary is quadruple your salary. Dubai does not take tax even from immigrant employees, and lucky for those working in government they've got increase every year. I know, i always travel there a lot. And mind you, its better to go to their Customer Service section who could actually resolve matters rather than talk to an Emirati airport chief who doesn't even speak English! No offense though...

couldn't you just keep a mental total of how much you have purchased so that it tallies with the amount displayed at the cash register?

What is the point here.. he didn't keep a mental tally and he's just telling folks about the situation so they are aware... why come in with the polyanna solution...

Well, Dubai Duty Free receipt have contact details. Been there lots of times and they've got good customer service relations. I have good experience with them when I forgot my purchases last 2010, and they never fail to answer my queries and emails. Check their website for contact person, I've got excellent assistance from Xueni, Rowina and Sinclair.

Dear Mr Nitnoymoy

This is Lilian T. Vargas, Manager Customer Service Department of Dubai Duty Free.

I am writing to you in relation to your comment posted on your blog posted (9th May 2012) which mentions that you were charged for an extra bottle of Grants whisky at Dubai Duty Free. This is of concern to us and we would like to pursue this further with you.

I request that you email me directly on customer service at ddf ae

I look forward to hearing from you and to hopefully resolve the situation.

Regards

Lilian T. Vargas

The standard of staff working at such places in Dubai may be from India or Philippines but it's not a total 'labour class' job like construction, they are likely to have a decent standard of education in their own countries.

Good luck speaking with an Emirati though, trust me, there's no increase in common sense or service

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mr Nitnoymoy! Following on our post dated 18 May, email address is entered improper as it is not permitted as part of forum rules (refer Forum Rule #10 under subtopic "In Using Thai Visa I Agree)

If you wish to contact us, you may email us at customerservice "dot" ddf "at" ae - no space in between.

Best Regards!