Thailand Buys Chinese Tablet Computers For Schools

webfact

First it was a pad for every student then it was for only 400,000 then it was for 900,000 then 1,000,000 now 400,000

Stay tuned for further developments.coffee1.gif

It was a pad for every student and Yingluck had a Samsung tablet in her pretty hand. Even no one promised it, you got the idea that you would get a good brand value tablet.

(I think in South Korea they use the Samsung tablets).

No a few get a cheapo tablet, which will be broken after 6 month with no warranty because the company doesn't exist anymore......

South Korea: They load the books on it, so they save a lot money by not printing the books.

Thailand: The tablets have to stay in the school so the kids can't use them at home.

That is unbelievable silly. Even with corruption they should be able to pull something better.

The company produces for Samsung, among other customers.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about next years first-graders? Will they order another 900.000?

That's their plan. A million or so every year.

Plus replacements/upgrades. In 6 years any still working will look like something from the Titanic.

Edited by OzMick

First it was a pad for every student then it was for only 400,000 then it was for 900,000 then 1,000,000 now 400,000

It was a pad for every student and Yingluck had a Samsung tablet in her pretty hand. Even no one promised it, you got the idea that you would get a good brand value tablet.

No a few get a cheapo tablet, which will be broken after 6 month with no warranty because the company doesn't exist anymore......

South Korea: They load the books on it, so they save a lot money by not printing the books.

Thailand: The tablets have to stay in the school so the kids can't use them at home.

That is unbelievable silly. Even with corruption they should be able to pull something better.

Scope produces tablets for Samsung??? Link?

this thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/three-tech-gadgets-you-might-be-tempted-to-buy--but-shouldn-t.html

3. Off-brand tablets

A tablet is a tablet is a tablet, right? Why spend $500 on an iPad or even $200 on a Kindle Fire when you can get the Pandigital Planet 7-inch Android tablet for $99? Or a MID 70009 Android tablet for $72.95?

Because they're terrible. Most of these dirt-cheap tablets have excruciatingly slow processors; you tap an icon, and nothing happens for several seconds. Scrolling a Web page can be an unresponsive exercise in frustration. The usability here pales in comparison to what you get from a more mainstream tablet.

What's more, some bargain tablets employ resistive touch screens, which require physical pressure. That's in contrast to the capacitive screens used in better tablets, which respond to the slightest brush of your fingertip. With a resistive screen, you have to push -- and that ruins the entire experience. Plus, with those slow processors, it's very difficult to tell if the tablet has registered your input, so you end up push-tapping again -- often with unwanted results. Bleh.

Another big issue: no Google Play (aka Android Market), meaning you're severely limited in the apps you can add. They might have knockoff app stores, but with none of the apps you'll want. No Angry Birds, No Kindle, no Facebook. Double-bleh.

Recently I've seen some attractively priced 7- and 10-inch models with fast processors, capacitive screens, and even Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but still no Google Play (or, for that matter, Amazon Appstore). Trust me: You won't be happy without at least one of them.

this thread.

"Our main business is to produce display monitors. Our revenue is around $1 billion. About 80 per cent of it comes from export and 20 per cent from the China market. Meanwhile, about 70 per cent is generated from producing OEM [original equipment manufacturer] models, while 30 per cent comes from our own brand, Scope. Our OEM customers include Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Telefunken, Hyundai and Akai," Liu said.

To me, he is talking about monitors, not tablets. The technological difference is considerable.

Not even the Chinese can produce so much with so little in such a short time.

Yes they can.

Foxconn has factories producing over 300 PCs per hour.

It's a shame Yingluck's government didn't sign a contract with them. Their chosen company does 41 tablets per hour.

but three years isn't too long to wait

Tablets 'could take nearly 3 years'

BANGKOK: -- Thai students will likely have to wait longer than expected for their promised computer tablets, as the China-based provider can only produce around 1,000 per day

http://www.thaivisa....e/#entry5247621

this thread.

Just so there's no misunderstanding or obfuscation, the 1st graders will be receiving ShenZhen Scope's ScoPad SP0712.

They are NOT receiving Samsung Tablets of ANY model.

Just so there's no misunderstanding or obfuscation, the 1st graders will be receiving ShenZhen Scope's ScoPad SP0712.

They are NOT receiving Samsung Tablets of ANY model.

Let me correct that for you.

Just so there's no misunderstanding or obfuscation, the 1st graders will maybe receiving ShenZhen Scope's ScoPad SP0712.

Still a long way to go before anything will be physical available.

Edited by pipo1000

this thread.

"Our main business is to produce display monitors. Our revenue is around $1 billion. About 80 per cent of it comes from export and 20 per cent from the China market. Meanwhile, about 70 per cent is generated from producing OEM [original equipment manufacturer] models, while 30 per cent comes from our own brand, Scope. Our OEM customers include Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Telefunken, Hyundai and Akai," Liu said.

To me, he is talking about monitors, not tablets. The technological difference is considerable.

This article does not state whether the OEM product which is manufactured for Samsung in particular is a tablet or a monitor or some other product. But that doesn't matter to my comment.

The point to be made is in contrast with H90's statement that the students are not getting a "brand" product but - what was the word, ... "cheapo" tablet ...

where in fact, "branded" products from companies, including Samsung, are manufactured by the company delivering "cheapo" tablets. And the difference in technology (relative to manufacturing/assembly) between a monitor and a tablet is not great.

This article does not state whether the OEM product which is manufactured for Samsung in particular is a tablet or a monitor or some other product. But that doesn't matter to my comment.

The point to be made is in contrast with H90's statement that the students are not getting a "brand" product but - what was the word, ... "cheapo" tablet ...

where in fact, "branded" products from companies, including Samsung, are manufactured by the company delivering "cheapo" tablets. And the difference in technology (relative to manufacturing/assembly) between a monitor and a tablet is not great.

Of course no Chinese company would dare to post unthruths on their website.Maybe you could do a google for fake chinese companies.Even the so called Chinese multinationals which are registered on the US stock exchange are caught up with massive lies all the time.Do a search for A-power energy or some other of those very successful Chinese solar companies to find some thruth.

Of course no Chinese company would dare to post unthruths on their website.Maybe you could do a google for fake chinese companies.Even the so called Chinese multinationals which are registered on the US stock exchange are caught up with massive lies all the time.Do a search for A-power energy or some other of those very successful Chinese solar companies to find some thruth.

Are you saying that they do not have Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Telefunken, Hyundai and Akai as customers?

Do you have any reason / information to say that this company is a "fake" ?

Are you saying that they do not have Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Telefunken, Hyundai and Akai as customers?

violin.gif

violin.gif

so it was just an unsubstantiated "untruth" / BS-post on your part.

coffee1.gif

violin.gif

coffee1.gif

No it wasn't.Did you care the first sentence of my post?\\

Here it is again Of course no Chinese company would dare to post unthruths on their website.

Did I say,Scope posts unthruths?Did I say,EVERY chinese company post unthruths?

I said do some googling,and I even gave you some hints, and you will find out that even many of the multinational Chinese companies don't have a problem with violating the thruth if it fits them financially.

Edited by pipo1000

A bit of insight into the electronics manufacturing business will help in understanding why cheapo tablets this day are adequate. They use surplus chipsets from earlier models which will continue to be produced in mass quantities because the silicon has been licenced forward. It generally means that it's outdated by one generation, looks like the specs are around something like the Samsung 7" tab of the first generation. I have one and it's more than adequate for school pads. Resistive touch displays seem to be history this year already, as bog standard capacitive lcd screens are being produced in masses, driving the price down.

As for software, practically all stock android firmwares suck. Luckily it being open source, dev communities are churning out superior versions, such as the custom rom I'm using on the Samsung 10.1" I'm writing this message with. Devs usually include the Google bits as well, a quick flash will give access. No doubt there will be businesses rooting and flashing the school pads within a week for couple of hundred baht.

It's not the HW and in reality not really the SW either, but how are you going to get tech-ignorant teachers to let more savvy kids use their tabs, totally destroying the face of their ajarn ? What's going to happen is that the tabs will be ignored in schools and used as toys. At least the kids get entertained.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

this thread.

Just so there's no misunderstanding or obfuscation, none of the above which applies to the ScoPad that they are due to receive.

It's a Scope product from top to bottom.

Edited by Buchholz

ScoPad's are not a well regarded, brand-name product. Samsung generally is.

Samsung tabs have nothing to do with ScoPads.

They are a different product/model with a different quality/cost.

Edited by Buchholz

violin.gif

coffee1.gif

No it wasn't.Did you care the first sentence of my post?\\

Here it is again Of course no Chinese company would dare to post unthruths on their website.

Did I say,Scope posts unthruths?Did I say,EVERY chinese company post unthruths?

I said do some googling,and I even gave you some hints, and you will find out that even many of the multinational Chinese companies don't have a problem with violating the thruth if it fits them financially.

a lot of companies lie (ie: bend the truth) if it suits them financially.

Your first post I read. It reads like a rhetorical question. Hence I asked if that is what you meant - a chance to make your post clear. Your answer is a violin...

So it looked like you were saying that this company is lying about their customers. Now it looks like you are not saying that.

OK... no problem.

a lot of companies lie (ie: bend the truth) if it suits them financially.

Your first post I read. It reads like a rhetorical question. Hence I asked if that is what you meant - a chance to make your post clear. Your answer is a violin...

So it looked like you were saying that this company is lying about their customers. Now it looks like you are not saying that.

OK... no problem.

It's easy enough to resolve the issue if you list which specific components found in a ScoPad are the same specific components destined for a Samsung Galaxy (or any model) tablet and your source for that information.

We await.

Now please someone tell me: what are the detailed specifications of the tablet PCs just ordered by the Thai government wai.gif

Try Miss Sophia?

Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co.,Ltd

Tel:86--40088867356

Fax:86-755-29875086

Contact Person: Miss.Sophia

Can't be sure, but hopefully for your sake, it's not the same Miss Sophia

http://straightfromthea.com/2010/06/03/miss-sophia-fired-from-atlanta-radio-station-v-103/dsc_0348/

Edited by Buchholz

Bring on as much political bribes as possible.....Puea Thai still suck

Be better if they were ipads Chinese low quality garbage? Come Puea Thai we need more convincing.

Sling in 10000 baht to everyone in Thailand to go get pissed within 711 government drinking times of course.

"At a market in Zimbabwe recently, where Chinese goods were on sale at nearly every stall, one woman told me she would not waste her money on 'Zing-Zong' products. 'They go Zing when they work, and then they quickly go Zong and break,' she said. 'They are a waste of money.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1036105/How-Chinas-taking-Africa-West-VERY-worried.html

Bad China Product? Watch Out If They Threaten To Sue YOU.

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2012/03/bad-china-product-watch-out-if-they-threaten-to-sue-you.html

"Spoke the other day with a company that was contemplating suing a Chinese factory regarding bad product. This company bought about $300,000 in product that it simply cannot use. When it told its Chinese supplier of this and then held back its final ~$100,000 payment, the Chinese company said it planned to sue."

ICT & Education Ministers Defend School Tablet PCs Project

The Education and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Ministers used the weekly government talk show on Saturday to emphasize the need for tablet PC usage among elementary school students amidst concerns of misuse from parents.

Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvech explained that the tablet computers had actually been applied to teaching in several developed countries. He stressed that introduction of tablet PCs would lead to equal access to learning and information throughout the country.

The Minister also believes that the use of this new study material would spark eagerness for learning among children. However, he insisted that conventional forms of teaching including speaking, reading and writing skill were still necessary to students and would not be neglected. These skills will be included in tablet PCs in which schools and educators are able to adjust or develop the contents to suit their students.

Meanwhile, ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap confirmed all the teaching contents in the tablet computers had been carefully selected for students.

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts.

He is also positive that the use of government-issued tablet PCs would help lead to creation of constructive online social network in the future.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-12 footer_n.gif

Meanwhile, ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap confirmed all the teaching contents in the tablet computers had been carefully selected for students.

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts.

GPS tracing content in/on the Internet? The whereabouts is on users or on content? Big Brother watching?

Maybe someone with more understanding can explain this part to me?